HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[ANA/TOR] Staubitz + P.Holland for J.Blacker, 3rd and 7th 2014 Draft Pick

Old
11-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
I was one of those people. Holland always looked legit in the AHL. He just couldn't stay with the Ducks. It really pisses me off that they never gave him a shot on the wing. His release is nasty.

Really dont like this trade.
Wow, quick release!

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 01:38 PM
crowi

vCash: 500
This whole "not enough opportunity given" crap is stupid. Holland had plenty.

crowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 01:39 PM
crowi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStBullies View Post
So there is 1 reason Perreault is available; 2 reasons Rakell is available; 3 reasons Bonino is available; 4 reasons Koivu is available and 5 reasons Karlsson is available.

Your logic sucks.

crowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStBullies View Post
So there is 1 reason Perreault is available; 2 reasons Rakell is available; 3 reasons Bonino is available; 4 reasons Koivu is available and 5 reasons Karlsson is available.

Your logic sucks.
Not really. He's illustrating Holland was buried in organisational depth and had not shown significant progress towards making it at the NHL level. He was available for the same reasons that Blacker was available for the Leafs (except for being a more important part of his AHL team). It's pretty standard stuff. That listing wasn't supposed to be a literal analysis, just making a fair point about Holland's situation with Anaheim.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 01:50 PM
Face Of Bear

Really like this trade for the Leafs. Blacker was supposed to be an offensive D-man but really hasnt got is O-game going since he turned pro. Holland has some pretty good potential and he will have the chance to show it off right away.

Face Of Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Honest question, how good is this Holland kid? I understand he was a bit of a project at the draft, nobody expected him to step into the bigs at a really young age, but how has development gone? Does he use his body at all?
If you're expecting a physical player..he isn't at all.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 01:55 PM
TorontoTrades

Like the move as it helps us now as opposed to Blacker eho was buried and not going to make the Leafs squad unless he made a drastic jump.

Everything doesn't have to be a big splash to be effective.

Are we better after the trade? Yes. Therefore good deal.

TorontoTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 01:57 PM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowi View Post
This whole "not enough opportunity given" crap is stupid. Holland had plenty.
How do you equate 29 NHL games to "plenty of opportunity".

Seriously, I would LOVE to know.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 01:58 PM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
We're not. At all.

EDIT: This thread is hilarious. The Leafs just traded essentially a 2nd round pick for a player. Fans do realize that teams trade players for the best possible return right? If a 2nd round pick is the demand for Peter Holland then surely teams aren't expecting much and likewise the fans.

But no, all the non-leaf fans come in here to ensure us that Peter Holland cannot and will not be anything more than your typical tweener prospect. Come back to this thread later and we'll see.

Old
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoTrades View Post
Like the move as it helps us now as opposed to Blacker eho was buried and not going to make the Leafs squad unless he made a drastic jump.

We gave up a 2nd and a 7th pretty much for Holland. Good deal in my books. The 7th was originally Anaheim's anyway..we got that pick in the David Steckel trade so if you cut it down even more it's a 2nd for Holland. Staubitz is Marlie fodder. It's technically a 3rd but I'm pretty sure everyone is confident he'll play more than 25 games with the Leafs this season, right..

Old
Liminality

Quote:
If he can help the Leafs score more than 5 goals in 5 games then he's made the team.

Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 01:59 PM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoTrades View Post

I'd say that is still TBD, but it's more than worth the minuscule risk. I like the deal for the Leafs.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Sundinisagod
Mattrick

No complaints here, actually glad we found any sort of center for spot duty...

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 02:02 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
No complaints here, actually glad we found any sort of center for spot duty...
Well hopefully it's not just for spot duty, this kid has potential. Former first rounder in '09 and only 22 years old. He has a pretty sick shot from the looks of it. Would love if this was another Lupul trade where he realizes his potential and we only give up spare parts.

Old
11-16-2013, 02:03 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

vCash: 126
Quote:
That sucks. Leafs need another physical presence who can keep up so that way we improve at extracting the puck from the opposition on the defensive end and cycle on the offensive. Those sorts of attributes are especially important at center for our team.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 02:05 PM
Ducks DVM
Global Moderator
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
How do you equate 29 NHL games to "plenty of opportunity".

Seriously, I would LOVE to know.
29 games, and all the practices around them, was enough to show the coaching staff that he has (to this point) not had the drive/ability to play the 2-way game they wanted him to play to stick in the NHL, when there are quite a few centers on the team who have shown that they can/will (some with far less time). Those 29 games weren't in a row, they were spread out over literally years, and it was the lack of progression between them that led to his change of address.

Good guy with a big upside though, I wish him well in Toronto.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
But no, all the non-leaf fans come in here to ensure us that Peter Holland cannot and will not be anything more than your typical tweener prospect. Come back to this thread later and we'll see.
I have no idea where you're coming up with that stuff. Ducks fans almost exclusively have described him as a guy with good upside. Most neutral ones expressed liking him, too. His lack of success in Anaheim had nothing to do with him not having had a few opportunities, though.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

I am just hoping playing in your hometown will have a positive effect on him. We really need someone who can play top 6 mins right now for a short time.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 02:15 PM
WilliamNylander
Captain Matthews

vCash: 523
what a steal for a young jeff carter.

Will put up some points tonight between Kessel and JVR

WilliamNylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 02:15 PM
gabeliscious

not sure how leaf fans can be too upset over this. its kind of underwhelming but at least he is a center right? with the depth the leafs have on defense in the system blacker would NEVER get an opportunity in toronto. hopefully he can have a better chance with the ducks.

whats the deal with holland? can he play in the nhl for a few weeks and not look too out of place?

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
29 games, and all the practices around them, was enough to show the coaching staff that he has (to this point) not had the drive/ability to play the 2-way game they wanted him to play to stick in the NHL, when there are quite a few centers on the team who have shown that they can/will (some with far less time). Those 29 games weren't in a row, they were spread out over literally years, and it was the lack of progression between them that led to his change of address.

In Kadri's first 29 games, he put up 12 points. Thank god we didn't call it a quits and say that we've seen enough. I understand with Holland there was pressure (upcoming waiver ineligibility) and he was being pushed down the depth chart, but that's not the best way to handle a top prospect. I'm surprised other teams didn't offer more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
I have no idea where you're coming up with that stuff. Ducks fans almost exclusively have described him as a guy with good upside. Most neutral ones expressed liking him, too. His lack of success in Anaheim had nothing to do with him not having had a few opportunities, though.
I guess I'm assuming most of the people in here are Leafs or Anaheim fans, I tend to stay away from the trade boards. If true, my mistake.

EDIT: Also my take on Blacker is just "meh". I remember in the 2011-12 training camp he turned some heads and was compiling quite a few points playing on the top PP. This was followed by spending the next two years in and out of the Marlies lineup and the coach (Dallas Eakins) giving him the Yakupov treatment.

Old
11-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Montanaheim
Go Ducks

We'll see how Holland responds to getting some more consistent NHL time. He has gotten a little play before and hasn't been overwhelming, but that could change. Would've thought we would have packaged him for more though.

Montanaheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 02:20 PM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastly Bozak View Post
what a steal for a young jeff carter.
Let this post be a perfect example of how Leaf players get built up and ultimately fail to meet insane expectations.

Mit Yarrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 02:21 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post

lol, that's not nearly enough. Is this post a joke?

There are so many examples of where a player needed more time to cut their teeth in the NHL.

Nazem Kadri is a great example.

Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 02:22 PM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny 89 View Post
Let this post be a perfect example of how Leaf players get built up and ultimately fail to meet insane expectations.
To be fair, the guy is more than likely being sarcastic and just living up to how the rest of the hfboards community views Toronto fans.