HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why didn't we sign Jagr???

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-18-2013, 10:59 PM
  #1
Habs100
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,580
vCash: 500
Why didn't we sign Jagr???

Jagr Does His Best Kovalchuk Impression
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...06451334728372

Most of us fans really wanted him. It was obvious he can still play. He would have been a big forward who provides offense. I'm disappointed in MB for not signing him.

Habs100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 11:00 PM
  #2
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,556
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs100 View Post
Jagr Does His Best Kovalchuk Impression
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...06451334728372

Most of us fans really wanted him. It was obvious he can still play. He would have been a big forward who provides offense. I'm disappointed in MB for not signing him.
I assume he wanted to maintain our speed identity but it was a bad choice.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 11:00 PM
  #3
pine*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,337
vCash: 500
Cause Briere is better.

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 11:08 PM
  #4
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby
 
Jabba11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,528
vCash: 500
Because Brière is better.

^Beat me to it

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 11:15 PM
  #5
MsChanandlerBong
The Chan-Chan Man
 
MsChanandlerBong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 683
vCash: 500
Because every year he plays with Plekanec in some form of tournament (this year, Olympics) and begins to stir up rumours about how he would love to play for the Habs. This, of course, is used simply to increase his value and get as much money as he can from an NHL team, because all Jagr cares about is the money at this point.

MsChanandlerBong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 11:16 PM
  #6
aingaran
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pine View Post
Cause Briere is better.
Can't tell if this is sarcastic if you seriously believe it.

aingaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 11:20 PM
  #7
muzion
Registered User
 
muzion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: St-Hubert, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pine View Post
Cause Briere is better.
We don't know if Briere is better, he's not getting a chance to prove himself.

muzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 11:41 PM
  #8
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: hong kong
Posts: 32,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I assume he wanted to maintain our speed identity but it was a bad choice.
And so we go for Briere?...Wasn't aware DB was a speedster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsChanandlerBong View Post
Because every year he plays with Plekanec in some form of tournament (this year, Olympics) and begins to stir up rumours about how he would love to play for the Habs. This, of course, is used simply to increase his value and get as much money as he can from an NHL team, because all Jagr cares about is the money at this point.
Right, because a player that only cares about cash will usually go through the trouble of remaining in shape to the point where he can still score 16pts in 20gp at the age of 41.

If you're 40+ and still playing in the NHL, I think people can fairly drop the ''playing for money'' theory.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 11:43 PM
  #9
Habsterix*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs100 View Post
Most of us fans really wanted him. It was obvious he can still play. He would have been a big forward who provides offense. I'm disappointed in MB for not signing him.
Really? Based on what exactly?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 11:53 PM
  #10
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,360
vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by pine View Post
Cause Briere is better.
And way younger so we can sign him for more than one year and give him NTC.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 11:56 PM
  #11
MD thaivuN
Anime Music Hipster
 
MD thaivuN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,099
vCash: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsChanandlerBong View Post
Because every year he plays with Plekanec in some form of tournament (this year, Olympics) and begins to stir up rumours about how he would love to play for the Habs. This, of course, is used simply to increase his value and get as much money as he can from an NHL team, because all Jagr cares about is the money at this point.
Considering how he only signs affordable one year deals, I'm not too sure if this is really the case.

MD thaivuN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 11:58 PM
  #12
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,556
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
And so we go for Briere?...Wasn't aware DB was a speedster.
More so than Jagr. I like Jagr but he's obviously not a speedster but he's got strong puck control and great lower body strength. I would've taken him easy but we chose briere.

My first choice of summer was lecavalier tbh.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 12:37 AM
  #13
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,871
vCash: 500
Duh. ****** and Caracher - Jagr has none. NONE!

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 12:58 AM
  #14
Mynameismark*
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,119
vCash: 500
We didnt sign him because he's too big for this team.

Then management saw that he had way too much skill and talent, so they were determined not to go with him. Talent is something this team doesnt need or want any part of. Look at Subban..."kid, you've got too much skill, try to play like somebody else and dont flash any of that alright?"

Also, Jags doesnt speak french. The french media and certain fans need that for some dumb reason.

Mynameismark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 01:17 AM
  #15
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 14,003
vCash: 500
Marc Bergevin quoted Briere's character as a reason to bring him in.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 01:31 AM
  #16
MsChanandlerBong
The Chan-Chan Man
 
MsChanandlerBong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
And so we go for Briere?...Wasn't aware DB was a speedster.



Right, because a player that only cares about cash will usually go through the trouble of remaining in shape to the point where he can still score 16pts in 20gp at the age of 41.

If you're 40+ and still playing in the NHL, I think people can fairly drop the ''playing for money'' theory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaivuN View Post
Considering how he only signs affordable one year deals, I'm not too sure if this is really the case.
It's two years in a row Jagr and Plekanec play together outside of the NHL, and Jagr starts talking about how he would love to Montreal. He asks for 1-2 years and a large amount of money, and we never sign him. I wouldn't be surprised if he does it again this year. Last year he was asking for 2 years at 5 mill each, if my memory serves me.

MsChanandlerBong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 01:51 AM
  #17
ottawa
Avatar of the Year*
 
ottawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orleans
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,844
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs100 View Post
Most of us fans really wanted him. It was obvious he can still play. He would have been a big forward who provides offense. I'm disappointed in MB for not signing him.
Do you have a source for that?

I have seen many people on here express how they did not want him, myself included.

__________________
http://img63.photobucket.com/albums/v191/SpiderManNL/24cups.gif
ottawa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 07:18 AM
  #18
radicalcenter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,311
vCash: 500
Because Brière at 4m per year was a bargain

radicalcenter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 07:19 AM
  #19
vokiel
#FireMolgevin
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 10,968
vCash: 50
Because Molson hates him.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 07:21 AM
  #20
Rosso Scuderia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,147
vCash: 500
Because our GM is not very good and don't put priorities at the right place.

Rosso Scuderia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 07:22 AM
  #21
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 20,538
vCash: 500
I didn't want Jagr or Briere. Sad that we would even be down to choosing between such players, or lamenting the lack of signing one.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 07:29 AM
  #22
Rosso Scuderia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I didn't want Jagr or Briere. Sad that we would even be down to choosing between such players, or lamenting the lack of signing one.
They are depth players, bringing offense and experience and doesn't cost anything except money (I'm speaking more about Jagr). For a team that again, is struggling to score, we could use a player like Jagr... 16 pts in 20 games, he'd be our productive forward.

Plekanec-Jagr looks way better than Plekanec-Gionta or Plekanec-Briere don't you think.

Rosso Scuderia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 07:49 AM
  #23
DenverHabsFan
Registered User
 
DenverHabsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 1,871
vCash: 500
We didn't sign him because we offered 3rd line money for 1st line production.

Then we gave Briere 1st-2nd line money for 4th line production.

Then we let Ryder walk after being one of leading scorers and he signs for 2nd line money.

Go figure.

However, I disagree with OP saying fans wanted him. On this board, both Ryder and Jagr were considered washed up overpriced commodities.

Suddenly, people realize that we are weak on both wings and in dire need of snipers but that was evident before the season started.

DenverHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 07:54 AM
  #24
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 20,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
They are depth players, bringing offense and experience and doesn't cost anything except money (I'm speaking more about Jagr). For a team that again, is struggling to score, we could use a player like Jagr... 16 pts in 20 games, he'd be our productive forward.

Plekanec-Jagr looks way better than Plekanec-Gionta or Plekanec-Briere don't you think.
I'm just not impressed with Jagr. He looks like a pretty float-y soft source of offense to me, and his point totals seem to me to be mostly a testament of how awful NJ is. I think the Habs using Plekanec in tough matchups makes Gionta a reasonable linemate for Plekanec, and I don't see Jagr fitting on such a line at all.

That said, I'd still rather have Jagr on the team than Briere. I just wish we had a good enough lineup that we didn't have to resort to either of them as expensive over-the-hill scrap heap Plan B signing options.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 07:54 AM
  #25
Strik_IX
No excuses!
 
Strik_IX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,338
vCash: 500
Honestly, if there was any interest from Jagr I don't see why we didn't sign him to play with Plek. Every single time those two played together they were dynamite... but nooooooo we had to sign the little french kid from Gatineau to please the peanut gallery.

This ****ing city is a gong show. (and for the record I'm french and I don't give a **** about that issue)

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.