HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Junior skates - which one to choose?

Old
05-10-2014, 08:31 PM
pix530

vCash: 500
Junior skates - which one to choose?

Hi,
In search for first pair of junior ice hockey skates for my son.
He is outgrowing his last pair of Bauer .6 skates of youth 13.5

So I want to buy him really good pair of skates:
1) Bauer Supremes .8 - as he has no complains about Bauer. Just a good idea to buy same type and brand.
2) Reebok 20K - i like pump feature.
3) CCM U+CL - again just another good pair of skates

I need to make decision asap, so I have time to order skates...

Thanks.

pix530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 09:33 PM
Onetimersniper28

Do you really feel the need to drop $250 on a pair of skates he will outgrow in 6 months ?
If you're okay with that, then I recommend the Supreme One.8. If he likes the fit of his One.6, then he'll be at home with the One.8.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 10:16 PM
AIREAYE

You're jumping him from a soft youth boot to a considerably stiffer junior boot? Not a good idea.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 03:46 PM
pix530

Onetimersniper28, I am not sure exactly whats wrong with me/Sportscheck. When he was 6y 10month we went to SportsCheck and with help of consultant choose him these existing Bauers size youth 13.5.
So it was a size decision made with sport consultant help. My son never complained about skates at all.
Now he is 8y4month and he still think skates are good enough.

For this period his shoe size increased from 13 to 2. So he is 2.5 already, as size 2 is already tight. But skates - I have no idea how this possible, but I can guess its time for renewal very soon.
Again for shoes he cant fit into 1.5 size at all.

To give you an idea just for this weekend he will play 5 ice hockey games...So its pretty intense off-season skating I would say.
After spring hockey we will be in summer hockey too.

Of course I'd like to spend as less as possible, with best option of quality/comfort/features for him.

AIREAYE, What would be good idea? Open to all considerations...

Old
05-15-2014, 05:34 PM
AIREAYE

The much-repeated method of going for the right fit still applies, but I urge you to look more towards mid-end models like the One.7/170, 16K/28K and such. Jumping to a skate that is considerably stiffer might not be the best transition in terms of stiffness right away. Read up on the skate guide.

Old
05-15-2014, 07:33 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pix530 View Post
Onetimersniper28, I am not sure exactly whats wrong with me/Sportscheck. When he was 6y 10month we went to SportsCheck and with help of consultant choose him these existing Bauers size youth 13.5.
So it was a size decision made with sport consultant help. My son never complained about skates at all.
Now he is 8y4month and he still think skates are good enough.

For this period his shoe size increased from 13 to 2. So he is 2.5 already, as size 2 is already tight. But skates - I have no idea how this possible, but I can guess its time for renewal very soon.
Again for shoes he cant fit into 1.5 size at all.

To give you an idea just for this weekend he will play 5 ice hockey games...So its pretty intense off-season skating I would say.
After spring hockey we will be in summer hockey too.

Of course I'd like to spend as less as possible, with best option of quality/comfort/features for him.

AIREAYE, What would be good idea? Open to all considerations...

I'm just telling you to be careful, because you will have to buy new skater 3 times a season when he hits puberty. My parents never bought brand new skates for me when my feet were still growing. I got my first pair of new skates when I turned 16.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 09:06 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
I'm just telling you to be careful, because you will have to buy new skater 3 times a season when he hits puberty. My parents never bought brand new skates for me when my feet were still growing. I got my first pair of new skates when I turned 16.
Me too! But I paid fully for mine with my own money lol. S15s on clearance.

Old
05-16-2014, 12:47 AM
pix530

AIREAYE, Ok, I hear you. I understand the best option is to go to the store. But I start to doubt about their skills, I already know they cant sharp skates correctly. Rink service works better for us...

So .7 or 170 or some other medium brand would work...This is not bad at all.
.7 are heat moldable...and saving a 100bucks not bad at all...

ALso I have to ask you about D or EE size too. I know its difficult to guess, but he has relatively wide foot, but I want his foot to be tight at the same time...

Onetimersniper28, Sure I dont want to spend a lot of money. But I'd rather buy used something new. He deserved to have new skates in near future. When I was child I had no skates at all, now I am happy with used CCMs, and I really dont care. But I don't go on ice 5-8 times per week too.
Before his foot will finish growing I expect to change from size 1.5 to about size 10 for skates (if he will play ice hockey, who knows). So its like 8 pairs for about 8 years which means a pair per calendar year...Not bad...

Last edited by pix530: 05-16-2014 at 01:07 AM.
Old
05-16-2014, 07:45 AM
AIREAYE

The obvious answer is to try both widths if you can and have him pick the most comfortable. However, if he's still undecided between the two widths for whatever reason, it's best to go the D width as a skate can always expand, but not contract.

Old
05-16-2014, 11:23 AM
NativeHockey77*

Yeah just get the kid to try and on and what ever feels most comfortable right now.

NativeHockey77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 03:14 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
try to hit the local hockey store that takes trade ins, i have almost new one.8's in size 1-2-3-4-5. Paid $35 each for them. I check once every 3 weeks or so to see what new stuff came in.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2014, 01:32 AM
pix530

yes, its clear that trying is the best. however not everything we can check-buy at local store. so top models - no way...but i reconsider this anyway...

CornKicker- hmhm. How can you buy used moldable skates? THOSE which are heated and broken in for another leg?
More - who spent 300bucks on skates to use it lightly and sell for 35cads or less?