HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nabokov Injured **Activated**

Old
11-17-2013, 09:26 PM
kasper11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by islesfan186 View Post
If by the first or second week of December it seems that Poulin and Nilsson just aren't working out, it's time to look elsewhere
I am ok with poulin getting most of the starts, but please tell me what Nilsdon has done to make people think he is ready to be a capable backup?

Every game counts whether in November or March. Just think, if we had a better backup than DP for the first month last year, we would have had 1-2 more wins and a better first round matchup. If Nilsson costs us 2-3 points, it could be the difference between playoffs and lottery

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 10:29 PM
Mustang2750

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
I am ok with poulin getting most of the starts, but please tell me what Nilsdon has done to make people think he is ready to be a capable backup?

Every game counts whether in November or March. Just think, if we had a better backup than DP for the first month last year, we would have had 1-2 more wins and a better first round matchup. If Nilsson costs us 2-3 points, it could be the difference between playoffs and lottery
Nabby has already cost us about 6 points so it doesn't really matter at this point. People said the same thing about Poulin not being a capable goalie in the NHL yet he has been impressive thus far. Nilsson may or may not be the same way.

Mustang2750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 10:30 PM
SpeedDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42 View Post
Likely Snow has inquired about one of Hiller/Fasth. But the price may be too much. The Ducks would be in no hurry to deal unless they get something good in return. I think they'd rather ride out Hiller this year than get peanuts for him.
I'd be satisfied with any of top three the Ducks ave in their system (I figure Andersen's got the most upside) but two things to consider

Firstly their defensive is slightly better game-by-game wise so goalie statistics could be misleading

Secondly- I'm wondering if Fasth's hitting the traditional sophomore jinx (granted he's too old be technically classified as one) given his numbers. Hopefully I'm wrong because it's sad if he becomes another Steve Mason

Quote:
Nilsson did pitch a shutout in his 2nd ever NHL start (1-0 win over NJ. would have been2. was about 90 seconds away from it) but after being sent down he got injured the following year and his game regressed

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 10:42 PM
lacunacoil777

It really should be easy enough to find a AHL goalie who can come here and play well enough. THey will likely only be playing 20% of the time anyway unless Poulin gets injured or ruins his chance of a NHL career by falling apart. For a decade we saw the Isles come up with AHL goalies that had better save % then Dipietro---Poulin one year, Yadi or something like that, Dubie, Montoya, im too tired to come up with the rest but there is probably four or five more.

lacunacoil777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:05 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

This will show us what we have in Poulin.

11-17-2013, 11:18 PM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

i'm not really missing nabby yet. i think this may give snow a bit of incentive to make a move he probably should've in the offseason. garth's a sneaky peanut, holding his cards up to his vest for months. then he drops them and you get a surprise. sometimes it's thomas vanek. sometimes it's someone off the scrap heap who does well... sometimes not so well.
what will be:
1. snow lets poulin show us what he has and gives nilsson some spot duty (backend of a back to back game scenario). this is a good strategy. we have po/ni and they therefore costs us little but, potentially, our patience.
2. if poulin fails and anders looks spooked in his spot duty... garth will be looking on the heap for a guy that theoretically could be in this league, but isn't. it'll be someone from sweden or finland- just a hunch.
3. garth deals a solid prospect or 2 to get his man, X. depletes the pool a bit, but doesn't surrender strome, pulock or reinhardt. preempts the temptation to spend on miller or someone else in the offseason if things work out with X.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:21 PM
StrongIslanders90

This could really hurt our season. Even though nabby hasn't been anything special this year he's still a vet and better then Nilsson

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:25 PM
RWWallpaper

Replacing a keeper with a sv% south of .900 should not be all that difficult

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:56 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang2750 View Post
Nabby has already cost us about 6 points so it doesn't really matter at this point. People said the same thing about Poulin not being a capable goalie in the NHL yet he has been impressive thus far. Nilsson may or may not be the same way.
The question though is why, and the answer is because Capuano had little faith in Poulin so he burnt Nabokov out overplaying him. Not that he was great, just that he took a mediocre tender and burned him...

So we bring up Nilsson, Capuano doesn't trust him... so he relies too much on Poulin... burning him out when he already has issues... Then what, over rely on Nilsson who has sucked this year?

Good thing we kept the ability to use that pick this year...

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 12:09 AM
Talain
Hit the Road Jack!

I think I'll just sit back and watch the train wreck.

On the bright side, I doubt that Ratner is going to want to have a team playing in front of a half empty arena IN HIS BUILDING, so by the time the Isles move to Brooklyn, SOMETHING is going to have to change around here.

Talain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 12:22 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
This could really hurt our season. Even though nabby hasn't been anything special this year he's still a vet and better then Nilsson
Wait...what?...I thought everyone thought the kids were better than the NHL experienced players? This is what everyone wants. Donovan, Poulin, Nilsson, Nelson, etc. Argh, no Strome, he is a perfect specimen that will dominate 82 games on the calendar with ZERO learning curve. He's ready, just you wait, he's gonna take the league by storm.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 01:24 AM
giddy up*

We needed a goalie before Nabby got hurt. Now we really need one. If Garth is unwilling to trade (although who saw the Vanek trade coming), at least sign a vet like Theodore to help carry the load. Too bad Bryz was signed.

giddy up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 02:16 AM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
The question though is why, and the answer is because Capuano had little faith in Poulin so he burnt Nabokov out overplaying him. Not that he was great, just that he took a mediocre tender and burned him...

So we bring up Nilsson, Capuano doesn't trust him... so he relies too much on Poulin... burning him out when he already has issues... Then what, over rely on Nilsson who has sucked this year?

Good thing we kept the ability to use that pick this year...
There's a chance......not a great chance, but a chance, that this could force Cappy to balance the workload out a little. I'm certain Poulin starts 2 of the next 3 games, and it's up to the hot hand from there.

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 03:36 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:

Ah, but what if DP and his exile after laughing it up during the Nabby injury was a major influence in the hot streak starting right after DP being kicked out?

Maybe we don't make the postseason with our long hot streak not happening/enduring?

Maybe, just maybe, we needed the bionic blunder to create a catalyst?

Who knows?

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 05:15 AM
leaponover

Joey MacDonald was waived for Calgary and sent to the minors. He could be another stop gap....

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 06:16 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Joey MacDonald was waived for Calgary and sent to the minors. He could be another stop gap....
And he was playing really well in the beginning of the season, surprised by the cut. He played well for us when he was here, maybe not a bad signing if they do it.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 06:20 AM
bvon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
And he was playing really well in the beginning of the season, surprised by the cut. He played well for us when he was here, maybe not a bad signing if they do it.
Poor Butch & Howie, that would mean there could be three MacDonalds on the ice at once.

bvon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 07:58 AM
simbo042

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by islesfan186 View Post
I'd like to have a few weeks and see how Poulin/Nilsson pan out before the panic button gets hit and the isles look for another option in net. As horrible as this sounds, this Nabokov injury works out for Poulin because now cappy is really forced to give him a solid look.
I'm surprised it took until post 50 for someone to point out the positive aspect of forcing Cappy to give Poulin a longer look. I suppose we'll see how it goes over the next few games!

simbo042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 08:26 AM
On Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvon44 View Post
Poor Butch & Howie, that would mean there could be three MacDonalds on the ice at once.
Book it. Too hilarious to not be the first option Garth would consider. I listen to broadcast just to hear Butch scramble this up.

Well, I guess Anders Nilsson would do the same with Nielson, Nelson!

On Edge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 08:39 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Isles fans love retreads...

Old
11-18-2013, 08:43 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:

So, all the points the isles lost to date that may very well cost them a playoff spot would now be transferred to the rookie Nilsson if he 'costs 2-3 points?'

If the Isles played a better overall game they should have ~24/25 points, thus placing them in 1st or 2nd in the weak Metro. But, the rookie goalie being called up due to injury is gonna be the issue...Respectfully, disagree.

Old
11-18-2013, 09:04 AM
BTrotts19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
This will show us what we have in Poulin.
and to some extent Nilsson--which is a good thing. Hopefully Cappy gives him a decent amount of starts so management gets a feel of what he can do now and in the future. Who knows maybe they won't need to go out and pay for an big name goalie. Poulin has looked more than serviceable so far, I am hoping he can seize this opportunity and really become our #1.

BTrotts19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 09:11 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Trade with the Devils for Keith Kinkaid!

Seriously, he's having a great season for the Albany Devils.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 12:21 PM
xECK29x

LaBarbera is on waivers today

xECK29x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 12:38 PM
Bones45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talain View Post
I think I'll just sit back and watch the train wreck.
I already hit the distributor and filled up my growlers.

I don't know how you guys do it. To read and post about this stuff. I just don't care.

Ill watch, but I'm not putting my happiness in the W/L column.

Our forwards are uninterested.
Our Coach is lost
Our GM is a backup goalie
Our D is laughable
Our goaltending is old.. oh wait.. now on the DL for 4 weeks.

LOL.. another fantastic season!

But please.. continue on with the "Poulin will step up and be solid and bring alot of W's" attitude!

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote