Notices

2013-14 Stars Trade Talk II

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2013, 12:16 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

vCash: 500
2009 - Nieuwendyk wanted Kadri, when Toronto took him he passed on the scouts first choice of Kulikov and took Glennie whom the team had never really spoken to.

2010 - Rangers take McIlrath, Fowler, Gormley and Forbot all fall, Bernhardt takes Campbell who may be NHL ready in four plus years while the defense in Dallas struggles because the cupboard was bare.

Bernhardt gets fired and things improved but this team has a notorious history of making bad first round selections. That's what I meant by poor drafting, sorry I didn't spell it out completely. That said I'd trade our first before moving Ritchie.

To whomever said a stop gap till Ritchie is ready, that's not a bad idea but I am so damn tired of stop gaps, bad contracts, and mediocre veterans holding back our kids. I have no idea if he'll even be close to NHL ready next season but I want off the training wheels, especially on defense.

Old
11-20-2013, 12:17 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Nemeth or Faska needs to be removed. One or the other of the young prospects. They don't get the whole kitchen sink for Brayden freaking Schenn.

Old
11-20-2013, 12:26 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Philadelphia wouldn't make that trade even with all the pieces thrown in, it doesn't help them now.

Old
11-20-2013, 12:41 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Philadelphia wouldn't make that trade even with all the pieces thrown in, it doesn't help them now.
I agree. Unfortunately that makes us terrible trading partners because the things they want we certainly won't trade and the things we can trade are too far away. I really want a shot at turning around Couturier but alas he's going either get the hell out of Philly and play well elsewhere or he's going to continue to be stuck down their lineup and never live up to his talent.

I think Dallas would be better off targeting an AHL or overage CHL guy and hope they can groom him rather than try to bargain buy someone who's struggling in the NHL for whatever reason in the hopes that their team will let him go cheaply.

Old
11-20-2013, 01:33 PM
tjcurrie

Philly has to re-up with Schenn. $$ is an issue there. So its got something to do with that as well. With Holmgren, you just never know what kind of deal could be possible.

Old
11-20-2013, 02:10 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
2009 - Nieuwendyk wanted Kadri, when Toronto took him he passed on the scouts first choice of Kulikov and took Glennie whom the team had never really spoken to.

2010 - Rangers take McIlrath, Fowler, Gormley and Forbot all fall, Bernhardt takes Campbell who may be NHL ready in four plus years while the defense in Dallas struggles because the cupboard was bare.

Bernhardt gets fired and things improved but this team has a notorious history of making bad first round selections. That's what I meant by poor drafting, sorry I didn't spell it out completely. That said I'd trade our first before moving Ritchie.

To whomever said a stop gap till Ritchie is ready, that's not a bad idea but I am so damn tired of stop gaps, bad contracts, and mediocre veterans holding back our kids. I have no idea if he'll even be close to NHL ready next season but I want off the training wheels, especially on defense.
It is not necessarily a stop gap. Say we sign Michalek for two years, let Ritchie and him battle it out for top 6 minutes within those two years. You can't just Ritchie top 6 minutes like that. Plus it will give us depth as well and make our top 9 a threat

Old
11-20-2013, 03:54 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
Quote:
i'm sure nill can convince them that robidas is the #1 D they want!

Old
11-20-2013, 06:27 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB94 View Post
But tbh, I think we should be focusing on getting a top 4 defensmen before we go out shopping for another forward at this point. I mean sure, if the opportunity comes around (like the Seguin one) then go for it. But we need to improve our backend first
You can't have blinders on. We have multiple needs and areas to explore via trade.

Quote:
I'm not too sure on what their needs are at the moment but Philly is notorious for making the dark horse trade. My other thought process was that our 1st rounder is potentially quite valuable, in which case they could flip that pick for a player elsewhere in another deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
Philly has to re-up with Schenn. $$ is an issue there. So its got something to do with that as well. With Holmgren, you just never know what kind of deal could be possible.
This was my thought process as well. Holmgren has made some really good trades. He's also made some head-scratchers.

Old
11-20-2013, 06:39 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Just wait for Nieuwendyk to get the Philly job (PLEASE!!!!!) So we can trade with him. Goligoski + Cole for Schenn and Coburn sounds about right for Joe.

Old
11-20-2013, 08:03 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
You can't have blinders on. We have multiple needs and areas to explore via trade.

I'm not too sure on what their needs are at the moment but Philly is notorious for making the dark horse trade. My other thought process was that our 1st rounder is potentially quite valuable, in which case they could flip that pick for a player elsewhere in another deal.

This was my thought process as well. Holmgren has made some really good trades. He's also made some head-scratchers.
Yup. Someone with no car at all doesn't pass up a Ferrari just because they prefer a Lambo.

And yeah with Holmgren, you just don't know. That guy is all over the map. You never know if he's gonna hit the reset button or go for broke. Or both. But if there are multiple teams inquiring, I'm not sure a 1st and a prospect like say Nemeth would be the winning bid. Kinda hard to say and again, you dont know what direction Holmgren is wanting to go.

I actually texted my buddy this morn and made it look like a legit TSN Alert. Went like this:

Flyers trade C Brayden Schenn and D Chris Pronger to Stars for D Trevor Daley Prospect Patrik Nemeth and Dallas's 2014 1st round draft choice.

He's not a Stars fan but he freaked haha. He's already jealous we acquired Seguin and Nichushkin in the summer, that put him over the edge.

Old
11-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
Yup. Someone with no car at all doesn't pass up a Ferrari just because they prefer a Lambo.

And yeah with Holmgren, you just don't know. That guy is all over the map. You never know if he's gonna hit the reset button or go for broke. Or both. But if there are multiple teams inquiring, I'm not sure a 1st and a prospect like say Nemeth would be the winning bid. Kinda hard to say and again, you dont know what direction Holmgren is wanting to go.

I actually texted my buddy this morn and made it look like a legit TSN Alert. Went like this:

Flyers trade C Brayden Schenn and D Chris Pronger to Stars for D Trevor Daley Prospect Patrik Nemeth and Dallas's 2014 1st round draft choice.

He's not a Stars fan but he freaked haha. He's already jealous we acquired Seguin and Nichushkin in the summer, that put him over the edge.
How'd you make the part where Chris Pronger was in the deal look legit?

Old
11-20-2013, 08:53 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Larry View Post
How'd you make the part where Chris Pronger was in the deal look legit?
Just did.

Wanted to think of someone that made it seem like it was just a "get rid of" situation.

Old
11-20-2013, 10:11 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Would totally be all over getting Brayden Schenn. I'd even be down for getting the package of both him and Luke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post

There is also Oleksiak and Faksa. It's still too early to judge three of those picks as Glennie is the only one that can be judged as bad right now.

Campbell, while not doing so hot in juniors, has shown a lot more in the AHL. Even if Fowler was picked instead, he wouldn't have started in the NHL.

Oleksiak has been great in juniors and AHL and will probably be the future #1 D. Faksa is a bit worrying since his point totals haven't increased much since his draft year, but should still turn out to be a 3rd line center in the future. And funny thing is that Glennie actually put up more points in the seasons after he was drafted before finally flat-lining in the AHL.

So it's more like 2 (or 3) out of the four picks are looking good.

Old
11-20-2013, 11:09 PM
glovesave_35
Name

I'm not too worried about Faksa not being an NHL contributor, the only real question is how high his potential is. Even if he tops out as a big body checking line center I still wouldn't really consider that a bad draft pick, regardless of those chosen after him. He was a safety pick all the way. In fact, by the time he's ready to contribute what we might need is exactly a player of that ilk.

Old
11-21-2013, 09:06 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Not much that can help them now TBH unless they get a marque player in return. I would not be surprised if they are going to do what Florida is doing and toilet the season, move players for picks and young future prospects.

Old
11-21-2013, 09:59 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine Ragusa View Post
Not much that can help them now TBH unless they get a marque player in return. I would not be surprised if they are going to do what Florida is doing and toilet the season, move players for picks and young future prospects.
You know they are in the East, right?

They have games in hand on most teams in front of them (every team in their division), and they are only 6 out of a wild card and 3 out of a division spot.

It's not in Homer's nature to tank a season especially considering they're playing much better and playing in the weakest division in the NHL. They aren't close to out.

Old
11-21-2013, 10:00 AM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine Ragusa View Post
That's the thing. Who the heck knows. There's so much pressure to win in Philly, zero patience. They could be 10 games back at the deadline and they'd go for it. They've won a few games lately so I could see them having delusions of grandeur. Just can't guage them though. What I do know is $$ is an issue.

Old
11-21-2013, 10:04 AM
BigG44

FWIW ... I think Phili probably misses the playoffs, but my point is GMs and teams don't tank and give up on a season like fans do.

I guarantee Homer is looking at the standings saying, "I'm 1 point out if we win the game in hand."

Old
11-21-2013, 10:05 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
You know they are in the East, right?

They have games in hand on most teams in front of them (every team in their division), and they are only 6 out of a wild card and 3 out of a division spot.

It's not in Homer's nature to tank a season especially considering they're playing much better and playing in the weakest division in the NHL. They aren't close to out.
I know they are not close to out but having watched them quite a bit so far this season i see nothing that impresses me nor indicates a rise in the standings to make the playoffs. Other than Mason and Schenn nothing else is clicking. Perhaps a shakeup will light a fire under some players ***** but honestly i don't think it will.

Old
11-21-2013, 01:23 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
A competitive offer for Schenn would include Dillon. That's what would make the Flyers sit up and take notice and would address some of their team's problems. A big, cheap, mobile D who can eat minutes, move the puck and has that nasty Flyers-style edge to his game. Of course it makes no sense for Dallas to do that deal, but I feel like that's what it would take.

Old
11-21-2013, 04:05 PM
haf

Quote:
A competitive offer for Schenn would include Dillon. That's what would make the Flyers sit up and take notice and would address some of their team's problems. A big, cheap, mobile D who can eat minutes, move the puck and has that nasty Flyers-style edge to his game. Of course it makes no sense for Dallas to do that deal, but I feel like that's what it would take.
sadly true.

Old
11-21-2013, 07:24 PM
Captain Awesome

How close are the worths of Tim Jackman and Vern Fiddler? I think Fiddler is worth more but if Jackman just got a 6th as a fourth liner I'd imagine Vern isn't going to get much more than a 3rd.

Old
11-21-2013, 07:28 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
How close are the worths of Tim Jackman and Vern Fiddler? I think Fiddler is worth more but if Jackman just got a 6th as a fourth liner I'd imagine Vern isn't going to get much more than a 3rd.
You shouldn't have expected anything more than a 3rd before this, but yes IMO Fids is more valuable.

Old
11-21-2013, 07:29 PM
aloonda*
fear the rooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by haf View Post
sadly true.

then that is a no for me

Old
11-21-2013, 11:06 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

yeah anyone expecting more than a 3rd is going to be disappointed. You might get a 4th and a 5th but that's about it for Fiddler and that's fairly decent value.

Closed Thread