HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

The Score - Shawn Matthias on trade block. Canucks interested?

Old
11-18-2013, 12:37 AM
EnforceTheLaus
#TeachTheTrospiracy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RK 17 View Post
Luongo has been a top 5 player in Canucks history, that trade is not a wash. That's like me saying the Neely trade was a wash
Losing Keenan was worth it lol. No dock on Lou #2 favorite goalie to wear the Cats uniform.

You just don't know what it is like to have Keenan in any sort of position of power in your org. Dark times...

EnforceTheLaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 12:45 AM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Boozer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnforceTheLaus View Post
Losing Keenan was worth it lol. No dock on Lou #2 favorite goalie to wear the Cats uniform.

You just don't know what it is like to have Keenan in any sort of position of power in your org. Dark times...
Umm,

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 12:46 AM
Crossbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnforceTheLaus View Post

Actually they do know.

Crossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 12:55 AM
EnforceTheLaus
#TeachTheTrospiracy

It's late lol.

EnforceTheLaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 02:58 AM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

probably unrealistic given finances, but tanev, jensen, our 1st, and booth (probable buyout) for matthias and campbell at 1/2 salary?

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 03:24 AM
MISC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
probably unrealistic given finances, but tanev, jensen, our 1st, and booth (probable buyout) for matthias and campbell at 1/2 salary?
<mod edit>

What`s with all fans adding Tanev to the trade block..He is the only Dman we have developing right now.

Edler and Bieksa are movable. Tanev stays put.

Last edited by s7ark: 11-18-2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: removed religious reference
MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 03:31 AM
FOurteenS inCisOr
FOS COrp CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
Jesus Christ.

What`s with all fans adding Tanev to the trade block..He is the only Dman we have developing right now.

Edler and Bieksa have NTCs, so no, they're not exactly movable unless MG convinces them to waive.

And I doubt either would waive to go to a rebuilding team.

That's why Tanev's name is in lots of proposals. He's one of the only valuable players without a NTC on the roster.

FOurteenS inCisOr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 03:33 AM
MISC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14s incisor View Post
Edler and Bieksa have NTCs, so no, they're not exactly movable unless MG convinces them to waive.

And I doubt either would waive to go to a rebuilding team.

That's why Tanev's name is in lots of proposals. He's one of the only valuable players without a NTC on the roster.
Players with NTC gets traded all the time. When you aren`t wanted you move on.

Tanev is young, cheap and has number 3 upside.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 05:45 AM
SufferingCatFan

Florida needs young D or a young goalie. The Pens and Totes have NHL ready D and the Bucks have a goalie in Lack. Matthias should be of interest to each of those teams.

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 06:04 AM
Kenny Powders

vCash: 1000
Taking a dive here but what about Desharnais + Beaulieu for Matthias + throw in comtract

Kenny Powders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 06:19 AM
Bourne Endeavor

vCash: 178
Quote:

Yes, but notice they tend to get traded to contenders. Bieksa will simply not waive because of his family, nor will the team even ask. He is considered a leader (rightly so) and presently our best defenseman bar none. If you are hoping to see him traded, you will be in for disappointment. I virtually guarantee he, Kesler and Burrows retire with the Canucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
Taking a dive here but what about Desharnais + Beaulieu for Matthias + throw in comtract
Terrible waste of Beaulieu. Matthias is not good enough for us to essentially throw away Beaulieu just so they take Desharnais.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 06:47 AM
SonicY
Daydream Nation

If the Cats are in need of young D (as posited by a few of their posters above), the Canucks could likely trade one of Corrado or Tanev. If it's Corrado (who the Canucks would have in their top-6 were it not or Gillis' obsession with Andrew Alberts' waiver eligibility), the Canucks likely need to throw in a pick; if it's Tanev, the Cats likely do.

Either way, it seems a reasonable fit. I just wonder if Matthias is the player Vancouver needs right now. They aren't lacking in bottom 6 grit/grinders. They are lacking in top-6 scoring acumen. Matthias has 2G this year, and a career-high of 14. I wonder if this kind of acquisition would be more out of desperation for Vancouver than fit.

SonicY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 06:55 AM
Lord Flacko*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicY View Post
If the Cats are in need of young D (as posited by a few of their posters above), the Canucks could likely trade one of Corrado or Tanev. If it's Corrado (who the Canucks would have in their top-6 were it not or Gillis' obsession with Andrew Alberts' waiver eligibility), the Canucks likely need to throw in a pick; if it's Tanev, the Cats likely do.

Either way, it seems a reasonable fit. I just wonder if Matthias is the player Vancouver needs right now. They aren't lacking in bottom 6 grit/grinders. They are lacking in top-6 scoring acumen. Matthias has 2G this year, and a career-high of 14. I wonder if this kind of acquisition would be more out of desperation for Vancouver than fit.
Umm no we're not trading Corrado.

Lord Flacko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 07:23 AM
ShootIt
M F P G A

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicY View Post

It's not like we are in desperate need of a young defenseman. We have two waiting for a callup from the AHL in Petrovic, Olsen and Robak*. 2 of the 3 should see some ice time once the TDL gets near/after TDL.

Not for sure what Tallon would want from the Nucks; nor why he trade Matthias unless the return was in the Panthers favor.
While center depth isn't a huge weakness, for once!, Matthias is growing into a solid #3 center. The only reason why he is getting fourth line minutes is because he is the 4th best center on the team.
If Tallon can re-sign Goc, I wouldn't mind seeing Matthias get traded, but if Goc leaves as an UFA, Matthias would be the ideal guy to replace Goc with. Especially with his cheap contract.

*Unless we trade him.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 08:19 AM
dave babych returns

Any interest in Tanev for Matthias and Goc? Maybe the Canucks need to include a prospect or a middle rounds draft pick or something. (In fact we'd probably have to add a contract just to maintain our flexibility as we're currently at 49.)

Put it this way if you dealt both of those players for picks and the best player you took panned out like Chris Tanev has, you'd be pretty satisfied with the deal.

edit: I do realize this hurts the Panthers center depth pretty badly but I'm not sure how to address that. We'd be unlikely to deal Richardson or Santorelli (who you probably don't want) as they just signed here, and I think Schroeder and Tanev combined probably seems too steep to Canucks fans while still being insufficient for Panthers fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Umm,

*keenan pic*

Mike Keenan pulled the trigger on two of the best trades in Canucks history.. the fact that he completed one of them while managing another franchise tarnishes his legacy slightly.

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 08:35 AM
Reign Nateo

There's no way in hell you give up Corrado or Tanev for Matthias. We're talking about essentially a bottom 6 grinder that has size, versatility and can win face offs. And also has age on his side, but he's looking very limited offensively. I don't think a young grinder holds the same value as a young, potential top 4 defenceman. Hell Tanev has asserted himself pretty well, he'd be a lock for their top couple pairings. I would be highly disappointed if the Canucks gave up one of these guys in a deal straight up for Matthias.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 08:54 AM
StrictlyCommercial

vCash: 766
Tanev has more points than Matthias and Corrado is our #1 D prospect. If either gets traded for Matthias that is a huge mistake by Gillis. I really doubt Vancouver puts more than picks and back-up players (Weber, Schroeder, Dalpe, Booth) into any deal for him. Obviously that's not what Florida fans would want, but it's what realistically would be offered. Such an offer may just get rejected depending on how badly Tallon wants to make room for Bjugstad etc.

Fool me once Florida, shame on you (Ballard). Fool me twice, shame on me (Booth). Fool me three times and Gillis is getting fired.

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 10:37 AM
Bure 10

Quote:

Except halfway through next season we'll be saying he has #2 upside.
Tanev wasn't drafted in the first round so lots of people have been thinking hes capped out or playing out of his league for years now, I would be remiss to trade him.
Guys what? 23? hasn't even hit his prime yet and improves drastically every season.

No other team (fans) will give us his value, I'd rather keep him for a couple more years and see the finished product playing for the Canucks. If it comes down to trading Tanev for less than over payment or taking this season on the chin, I'd pick the latter and see what our line up looks like next year with the youth injected in.

Bure 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 11:18 AM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

Quote:
Jesus Christ.

that proposal was because florida fans are saying that what they'd want for matthias is tanev. now that's ridiculous; you wouldn't trade tanev for matthias, nor would you trade tanev for matthias and another depth piece (even goc).

so i was turning my brain over and over trying to figure out what it would take to give up tanev, who i certainly don't want to give up. and yeah, campbell would have to come the other way (PP QB, puck mover) and they'd have to eat half his salary. and then the gymnastics-- for value, you'd have to give up a 1st and a prospect, but on our end, you'd also have to eat booth. and there you have the proposed trade:

tanev, 1st, jensen, booth --> matthias, campbell (at half salary)

now what i'm curious about is not some angry canucks fan typing from the edge of lion's gate yelling at me for not trying to trade edler and bieksa, but from florida fans about whether or not this is at all possible. i'm guessing that because of florida's finances eating campbell's and booth's salaries = non-starter.

** but imo, if florida wants tanev, this is what the deal will have to be. there's no universe in which we're going into the playoffs with stanchion and corrado as our #5 and #6 D. if anyone gets hurt, that's going to look ugly. and if we're giving away tanev's potential, then we'll want to upgrade, not downgrade, our d-corps for the present.

Last edited by vadim sharifijanov: 11-18-2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: inserted crucial word, in bold
Old
11-18-2013, 11:23 AM
JackJ

Quote:
Not always (Sundin, McCabe, Kaberle, Kubina, Tucker). Who all rejected trades when it was made clear they weren't part of the long term plans.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 12:23 PM
SufferingCatFan

Quote:
that proposal was because florida fans are saying that what they'd want for matthias is tanev. now that's ridiculous; you wouldn't trade tanev for matthias, nor would you trade tanev for matthias and another depth piece (even goc).

so i was turning my brain over and over trying to figure out what it would take to give up tanev, who i certainly don't want to give up. and yeah, campbell would have to come the other way (PP QB, puck mover) and they'd have to eat half his salary. and then the gymnastics-- for value, you'd have to give up a 1st and a prospect, but on our end, you'd also have to eat booth. and there you have the proposed trade:

now what i'm curious about is not some angry canucks fan typing from the edge of lion's gate yelling at me for not trying to trade edler and bieksa, but from florida fans about whether or not this is at all possible. i'm guessing that because of florida's finances eating campbell's and booth's salaries = non-starter.

** but imo, if florida wants tanev, this is what the deal will have to be. there's no universe in which we're going into the playoffs with stanchion and corrado as our #5 and #6 D. if anyone gets hurt, that's going to look ugly. and if we're giving away tanev's potential, then we'll want to upgrade, not downgrade, our d-corps for the present.
Your trade proposal reminds me of the good old days when Nuck fans proclaimed that each of Luongo (whose contract was completely reasonable) and Schneider were worth the equivalent of 3 first round picks

As to reality, Tanev is a good prospect, no doubt about it, who should be coming into his own when the Sedins and Lou are entering their late 30's.

No problem if you believe that Matthias is not the answer. You could be right. But, you could also be over valuing Tanev.

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 12:24 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
That is a cap dream and I would take that deal and run - doubt the Panthers would touch it though especially considering it means spending about $18m on nothing ($8m on Booth and nearly $10m on half of Campbell's salary).

But yeah, dumping Booth and adding Campbell at half price would set us up in a big way regardless of what Matthias has to offer.

Would also give us more flexibility in the upcoming offseason with regards to our remaining compliance buy out.

Just want to re-emphasize once more, it's a complete pipe dream thinking the Panthers would spend $18m to acquire Tanev, Jensen and a 1st round pick. Hell they wouldn't even take Luongo and he is at least a salaried player who would contribute something on the ice for them.

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 12:29 PM
Toxic0n
We are all mumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
Your trade proposal reminds me of the good old days when Nuck fans proclaimed that each of Luongo (whose contract was completely reasonable) and Schneider were worth the equivalent of 3 first round picks

As to reality, Tanev is a good prospect, no doubt about it, who should be coming into his own when the Sedins and Lou are entering their late 30's.

No problem if you believe that Matthias is not the answer. You could be right. But, you could also be over valuing Tanev.
So are Campbell and Mattias the Luongo and Scheinder in this scenario? Because Canucks are the ones giving up the equivalent 3 first round picks (1st, former first and Tanev is playing well enough to have been a late first) for a veteran with a big contract or an unproven rookie.

Toxic0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 01:04 PM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post

it's actually not even a question of valuing tanev, over- or under-. i mean, yeah he's worth more than matthias, but obviously he's worth much less than campbell, to say nothing of campbell with salary retained.

but the point is for our team right now, as it's currently constructed, we can't give up tanev without help coming back on D, and the only guy on florida's roster who can do that is campbell. (same applies if we gave up edler, or bieksa, though neither would ever waive; would need to improve, not weaken ourselves, on the back end.) so i tried to figure out a deal that would work within those parameters, but then of course salary gets in the way...

Old
11-18-2013, 01:08 PM
Lukus

What's with all the Canucky talk? Eklund says the talks around Mattias are between Florida and Ottawa.

Lukus is offline   Reply With Quote