HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which Free Agents Should We Pursue?

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2005, 09:26 PM
humboldt

vCash: 500
Which Free Agents Should We Pursue?

We're probably going to need to sign 3 or 4 free agents. Heres a couple I think we have our sights on.

Robitaille - It's a given he weill sign for a year. He is scheduled to appear at the next Kings news onferance.

Ziggy Palffy - It will probably require the maximum to sign him, but he is arguably one of the best free agents available. If Taylor aggresively pursues him then I think we have the inside track.

Glen Murray - He has to always be included in any Kings trade/signing scenario.

Allison??? - I say that we at least tender him a reasonable offer. If he passes the physical then we should take the chance. If he's looking for big money then we should say goodbye.

Chris Pronger - I hope so ! This is unlikely, but weve all heard the rumors

The only free agent I can see Taylor offering the maximum to is Palffy.

What other free agents are likely candidates?

Old
07-24-2005, 09:33 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Paul Kariya and possibly a defenseman.

Old
07-24-2005, 09:37 PM
guzmania

Add to Reapers list Dunham

Old
07-24-2005, 09:38 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmaniac
Add to Reapers list Dunham
dunham would make an excellent addition...but i think the kings should first concentrate on a defenseman ... blake or neidermayer would be great additions.

07-24-2005, 09:43 PM
humboldt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
dunham would make an excellent addition...but i think the kings should first concentrate on a defenseman ... blake or neidermayer would be great additions.
I'd love to see Blake come back! It would be good karma to get Blake and Palffy back

Old
07-24-2005, 10:05 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
In all honesty, I think the Kings signings will be Kariya, Murray, another d-man, possibly Palffy and a goaltender not afraid to sit for a while as Garon plays long stretches, Kostopolous and Robitaille.

Old
07-24-2005, 10:23 PM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
I dont want us just going out signing 6 good players what i'd like to see is bring back Palffy what ever it takes (Seriously underrated player top 10 in my opinion) and 1 other really good foward Allison, Kariya (Most likely though i hate him), Murray, etc.... I only want 2 really good players signed i mean dream would be Naslund - Forsberg but then ya 2 fowards and then 1 good D-man (Aucoin, Neidermeyer, Foote, Pronger) i dont know just 2 good fowards please Palffy and a defender then let the youth play and give them a chance and if it fails do you know how many trades you'll be able to make or player will still be available.... I guess also maybe a golie to play with Garon

Frolov - Conroy - Palffy (Frolov will be the PF type Conroy will be the play maker and Palffy will score)
Brown - Camms - Kariya (Camms and Brown played sometimes together this year so they already know what to do and Kariya can add this would be a good scoring line if Camms and Brown can show up in the NHL)
Kostopulous - Avery - Cowan (I would not want to skate against this line....)
Belanger - Armstrong - Klatt (Dont know what our forth line would be just threw some names onto it)

Norstrom - Foote
Visnovsky - Gleason
Miller - Dempsey

Garon - Hauser

Old
07-24-2005, 10:41 PM
Dooney
Love me some Carter!

Quote:
Blake is scheduled to appear at the AVS press conference tomorrow. Somehow, I doubt he is going to be coming back to LA anytime soon.

Old
07-24-2005, 10:43 PM
Peter James Bond

Pronger and Blake are not free agents, last I saw.

The Kings need 2 top six forwards, (one must be a power forward) 1 top 4 defenseman and 1 elite goaltender.

Allison, Palffy, Aucoin, and Khabibulin fit the bill.

Since the Kings probably cannot swing all 4 of these...(with Khabibulin probably opting for another team) perhaps the Kings can get Roloson out of Minnesota. Manny Fernandez will win the #1 job there. Roloson can probably be had in a trade.

I say sign Tambellini NOW and give him a shot at left wing, in place of the 40 year old Robitaille. Tambellini could beat Luc 2 TO 3 seconds in a lap, can out check him, and is better defensively.

Last edited by Peter James Bond: 07-24-2005 at 10:59 PM.
Old
07-24-2005, 10:45 PM
Dooney
Love me some Carter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnThGrt
I dont want us just going out signing 6 good players what i'd like to see is bring back Palffy what ever it takes (Seriously underrated player top 10 in my opinion) and 1 other really good foward Allison, Kariya (Most likely though i hate him), Murray, etc.... I only want 2 really good players signed i mean dream would be Naslund - Forsberg but then ya 2 fowards and then 1 good D-man (Aucoin, Neidermeyer, Foote, Pronger) i dont know just 2 good fowards please Palffy and a defender then let the youth play and give them a chance and if it fails do you know how many trades you'll be able to make or player will still be available.... I guess also maybe a golie to play with Garon

Frolov - Conroy - Palffy (Frolov will be the PF type Conroy will be the play maker and Palffy will score)
Brown - Camms - Kariya (Camms and Brown played sometimes together this year so they already know what to do and Kariya can add this would be a good scoring line if Camms and Brown can show up in the NHL)
Kostopulous - Avery - Cowan (I would not want to skate against this line....)
Belanger - Armstrong - Klatt (Dont know what our forth line would be just threw some names onto it)

Norstrom - Foote
Visnovsky - Gleason
Miller - Dempsey

Garon - Hauser
There was an article in one of the Boston Paper's on Friday or Saturday I think and I'm trying to find the link for it, I think I read it in the Globe, My apartment manager is a huge Avs Fan as is another friend of mine that lives in Colorado still ( they told me about this), anyhow, The article went on to say that Forsberg could very well end up in Boston. If I can find the link for it, I'll post it.

Old
07-24-2005, 10:48 PM
Mxpunk

I would love to see Kariya added...I don't think we need a Dman, but another insurance goalie would be nice....Maybe Sean Burke would be good to mentor Garon...He did wonders on past teams for younger goalies....

Old
07-24-2005, 11:12 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooney & Bourke
Blake is scheduled to appear at the AVS press conference tomorrow. Somehow, I doubt he is going to be coming back to LA anytime soon.
if you look at the avs payroll, they're going to have to let go of one of their high priced payroll players (either blake or foote). otherwise, they won't have room for other rfa roster players such as tanguay and hejduk (i believe they're both unsigned ufas)...reports say that it would most likely be blake.

Last edited by jfont: 07-24-2005 at 11:17 PM.
Old
07-24-2005, 11:43 PM
Dooney
Love me some Carter!

Quote:
if you look at the avs payroll, they're going to have to let go of one of their high priced payroll players (either blake or foote). otherwise, they won't have room for other rfa roster players such as tanguay and hejduk (i believe they're both unsigned ufas)...reports say that it would most likely be blake.

The AVS board said the press conf. will be on at 11 am MTM time on the fan590.com Blake will be there. Is should be interserting to see what they say.

I know they are running a poll and most want Foote to stay but perhaps he will be the one that is bought out

Why would they have Blake at there Press Conference? I mean, we are having Avery and Luc at ours and I think that means positive things from out club.

It makes you wonder.

Old
07-24-2005, 11:44 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
if you look at the avs payroll, they're going to have to let go of one of their high priced payroll players (either blake or foote). otherwise, they won't have room for other rfas such as tanguay and hejduk (i believe they're both unsigned ufas)...reports say that it would most likely be blake.
I'll agree with you the most common opinion, and the one that makes the most sense, is that Blake is the one that has to go if the Avs wish to keep Tanguay and Hejduk (their qualifying offers are $4.3 and $3.2 mil respectively) and have a chance to keep Foote and or Forsberg around. I also agree that it is odd that Blake is appearing at the Avs press conference on Monday if Lacroix is going to buy him out this week. That being said, I think Lacroix is trying to work the phones right now to either trade Blake to free up the salary or trade one of Tanguay and Hejduk for the same purpose. Also perhaps Lacroix is trying to resign Foote or Forsberg before either hits the free agent market and thus before buying out Blake. This way he doesn't have to risk buying out Blake, then having Foote signing elsewhere and putting the Avs in a world of hurt looking for a defenseman. Around the league I think that most of the buyouts wont happen until Wed or Thurs as teams try to see if they can get anything in a trade for their big contracts rather than buy them out.

If I was an Avs fan though I think I'd be upset if Lacroix kept a 36 year old Sakic, soon to be 36 yr old Blake, 34 yr old Foote, and 32 yr old Forsberg at the expense of trading Tanguay and Hejduk. Blake is injury prone, Forsberg is injury prone and threatens to go back to Sweden often and while I think Foote is more durable than Blake is, Foote has some seasons of 64, 59, 35, and 55 games under his belt. Actually if you look at the stats he goes in spurts. He'll play close to 82 games, then have like 3 or 4 years where he gets hurt, then another 3 years where he plays over 70 games, then a stretch where he gets hurt again. Lately he's been pretty healthy though. I know Sakic, Forsberg, Foote, and Blake have been the core of the Avs for a long time but perhaps its time to say goodbye to some of the core and really start building around their younger players in Hejduk and Tanguay. Although that might not be a good idea either because under the new free agency rules Hejduk can be one next summer, Tanguay in two. Most hockey experts would say the Avs don't have a deep group of prospects right now. To me the better option for the Avs would be to let go of two of that core of Sakic, Blake, Foote, and Forsberg opposed to trying to sign them to longer extensions and work on signing Tanguay and Hejduk, who will be cheaper, to extensions. Not to mention the fact that next year's pool of free agents is supposed to have some great players like Thornton, Lecavalier, and Iginla. Saying goodbye to Foote, Forsberg, and Blake now, even though it would hurt a lot, while keeping Tanguay and Hejduk would leave the Avs in a better position next summer to retool the team.

Old
07-24-2005, 11:50 PM
Capn Brown

Mike Dunham 2.2 million/2 years
Ziggy Palffy 5.7 million/3 years
Scott Neidermeyer 6.1 million/3 years
Peter Forsberg 6.3 million/2 years

Have I gone over budget?

Old
07-24-2005, 11:55 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Rafalski-Visnosky on the point would be golden.

Old
07-25-2005, 12:49 AM
willywonka

I may be in the minority here, but I hope the Kings don't try and bring back all of the past Kings we've traded away (Murray, Blake, Allison, Zhitnik, Lang, etc.). It is time to move forward and I would love to see some new flavor in our Kings' uniforms. Don't get me wrong I liked most of these guys and I wish them well with their new teams, unless their playing against us, but don't bring them back. It doesn't work most of the time. With that said, Robitaille is one exception because of the sweat he has put in for us and he is truly a great guy. Pallfy would be another IF he wants to play here and IF we don't overpay. What do you think?

Old
07-25-2005, 01:03 AM
Peter James Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by willywonka
With that said, Robitaille is one exception because of the sweat he has put in for us and he is truly a great guy. Pallfy would be another IF he wants to play here and IF we don't overpay. What do you think?
Butch Goring, Dave Taylor and Marcel Dionne broke there a$$es here as well and are great guys. Like Luc, they are off in the sunset and shouldn't be playing in the NHL anymore.

Old
07-25-2005, 01:14 AM
willywonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter James Bond
Butch Goring, Dave Taylor and Marcel Dionne broke there a$$es here as well and are great guys. Like Luc, they are off in the sunset and shouldn't be playing in the NHL anymore.
That made me laugh! I guess it is hard to let go. I still remember watching Luc get that great goal while sliding on his stomach/side and shot it in from the left side of the goal almost on the goal line. That was in his rookie season and you're right, it was a long time ago. I also loved watching Goring, Dionne, Taylor, Simmer, Nicholls, J.P. Kelly and Jay Wells in the old Yellow and Forum Blue (Purple), but your point is well taken.

Old
07-25-2005, 01:39 AM
kingbrath

I hope we sign Sean Burke, his parents live here in Red Deer , I will finally be able to say that Ive seen a King! lol

Old
07-25-2005, 01:46 AM
G'aal

Quote:
I may be in the minority here, but I hope the Kings don't try and bring back all of the past Kings we've traded away (Murray, Blake, Allison, Zhitnik, Lang, etc.). It is time to move forward and I would love to see some new flavor in our Kings' uniforms. Don't get me wrong I liked most of these guys and I wish them well with their new teams, unless their playing against us, but don't bring them back. It doesn't work most of the time. With that said, Robitaille is one exception because of the sweat he has put in for us and he is truly a great guy. Pallfy would be another IF he wants to play here and IF we don't overpay. What do you think?
I totally agree. I've posted this before, but I just don't understand why so many people want to recreate the old 2001-02 Kings team. We need younger players, players without histories of injuries, and frankly, a fresh start. And I agree about Robitaille and Palffy. Good post.

Old
07-25-2005, 01:54 AM
willywonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by G'aal
I totally agree. I've posted this before, but I just don't understand why so many people want to recreate the old 2001-02 Kings team. We need younger players, players without histories of injuries, and frankly, a fresh start. And I agree about Robitaille and Palffy. Good post.
Thank you and I have read quite a few of your posts over at the LGK boards and always thought your posts were very insightful.

Old
07-25-2005, 01:54 AM
G'aal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daleks
Mike Dunham 2.2 million/2 years
Ziggy Palffy 5.7 million/3 years
Scott Neidermeyer 6.1 million/3 years
Peter Forsberg 6.3 million/2 years

Have I gone over budget?
Even if you hadn't gone over budget, you're over budget.

Those salaries might be ok during the old no-cap CBA, but not now. The offer to Ziggy, for example, would be the equivalent of nearly $8 million (pre-rollback). Forsberg and Niedermayer, well over that. That isn't good.

I'd take Forsberg at $5 million, tops, and ZP at around $3.5 million. I'd pass on Niedermayer, as we need stay-at-home bangers, not blue line bombers.

Old
07-25-2005, 02:27 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by G'aal
I'd take Forsberg at $5 million, tops, and ZP at around $3.5 million. I'd pass on Niedermayer, as we need stay-at-home bangers, not blue line bombers.
While I usually agree with you, I strongly disagree with passing on Niedermayer, unless the price tag was too high. He would be a valuable asset to the Kings blueline. The Kings have Norstrom and Gleason as bonafide bangers; when Miller's healthy, he's rough as well. Plus, I'm sure we'll also see Petiot play a game or two for the Kings as he gets increasingly better in Manchester. I would take Niedermayer any day of the week before Pronger.

With our open cap room, I would offer up to $4.5 million to Palffy. I'm not quite sure who all we should approach to sign, though.

Old
07-25-2005, 10:30 AM
jt

Quote:
Thank you and I have read quite a few of your posts over at the LGK boards and always thought your posts were very insightful.
He just takes my posts, edits out the crapola, changes a couple words, re-posts it under his own name and ends up with..........pure genius.

Actually, I agree with the both of you completely.

IMO, when I see so many fans/posters want to bring back old Kings it just tells me that they don't see enough games to know who all is out there worth having who is better than that former King. For example, I would rather have Leclair or Amonte than Murray. I'd rather have Naslund than Palffy. I'd rather have Niedermayer than Blake. And if I've got to have an injury prone pissy headcase of a center who's one hit from retirement, I'd rather have Lindros than Allison. Hell, I'd rather have Jim Dowd than Allison!!

On another note...dana, how's this for the Avs' current roster:

$ 6,664,797 Sakic
$ 6,364,112 Blake
$ 1,900,000 Konowalchuk
$ 1,900,000 Gratton
$ 1,520,000 Damphousse
$ 1,140,000 Lappy
$ 950,000 Boughner
$ 950,000 Vaananen
$ 646,000 Laaksonen
$ 428,000 McLean
$ 372,400 McCormick
$22,825,309 Sub-total payroll under contract (11 players)
$ 4,332,000 Hejduk (5% QA)
$ 3,230,000 Tanguay (5% QA)
$ 1,900,000 Aebischer (5% QA)
$ 1,425,000 Skrastins (5% QA)
$ 718,200 Sauer (5% QA)
$ 702,240 Worrell (5% QA)
$ 643,720 Hinote (5% QA)
$ 501,600 Sauve (5%QA)
$ 450,000 Liles (league minimum)
$ 450,000 Svatos (league minimum)
$ 450,000 Hahl (league minimum)
$ 450,000 Kliazmine (league minimum)
$38,078,069 GRAND TOTAL PAYROLL (23 players)

If they buy out Gratton and Dampousse and let Skrastins walk they cut a whopping $5,250,000 so they’re down to $32,828,069 so they’d be $6,171,931 under the cap.

Their UFA’s are Forsberg, Foote, Hendrickson, Brigley, Cummins, Kariya (RFA?), Nikolishin, Selanne, Salo (retired) and Moore. They may bring none of them back but I have NO idea how they can possibly bring back Forsberg unless they buy out Sakic of Blake. They can bring back Foote, though…they’ll just need to figure out who their 2nd line center will be if they cut Forsberg, Damphousse AND Gratton loose. But if they can sign Foote for, say, $3 mil they could probably keep Damphousse and Skrastins and cut Boughner instead. Their lines would be something like this, though:

Tanguay/Sakic/Hejduk
Konowalchuk/Damphousse/Laaksonen
Lappy/Hinote/Hahl
McCormick/McLean/Worrell

Blake/Foote
Liles/Vaananen
Skrastins/Sauer

Not exactly the lineup they’re used to in Colorado. One injury to a 1st liner and they are SCA-REWED.

Closed Thread