HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Devils - Sharks

Old
11-18-2013, 11:51 AM
Devilsfan992

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan11 View Post
Alright, swing and a miss on my part.

Question, is Merrill completely off the table? If not, what do you guys need long term to consider dealing him?
A young surefire top-6 winger or a number 1 center prospect.

Devilsfan992 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 11:53 AM
Kensu

only way I see Merrill getting moved is if he's in a package for a top 6 winger or something.

Kensu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 12:47 PM
Nolan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaossKing View Post
Off the table is too absolute a term, but it would be difficult to receive an offer worthy of moving him
Sharks need a player like Merrill to add to their future core, and maybe give us the boost to go a bit farther in the playoffs. We probably don't have the assets to burn....

Curiosity, what are your team needs. Do you need fwds, RHD, picks for a refresh?

Edit, I see from above you want a top 6 winger.

Nolan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 12:59 PM
Aethon
12 Axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan11 View Post
Sharks need a player like Merrill to add to their future core, and maybe give us the boost to go a bit farther in the playoffs. We probably don't have the assets to burn....

Curiosity, what are your team needs. Do you need fwds, RHD, picks for a refresh?

Edit, I see from above you want a top 6 winger.
No D at all, we have a surplus in both NHL D and prospects...Forwards and picks are NJ's primary need.

Aethon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 01:23 PM
EnglishDevil

vCash: 359
To

Volchenkov
Josefson

To

Havlat
Irwin? Or a 3rd or something, not really sure what Irwin is worth.

Basically an overpaid D for an overpaid F that could use a change of scenery; plus a couple of younger guys that balance it out so each team gets a forward and a defender. Add and subtract minor parts as necessary.

EnglishDevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 01:59 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Havlat for Volchenkov/Salvador straight up. And I probably ask San Jose to pay airfare and send me a 4th round pick as well.

Everyone knows Havlat is going to be bought out. Why would NJ give anything of value PERIOD here?

I don't trade Josefson period. Josefson drives Larsson around so unless we want Larsson scratched for being late to practice Josefson is off the table. I'm only half kidding.

ThePSEGPowerPoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 01:59 PM
zombiekopitor
Timo Time

vCash: 201
^Doug Wilson has never bought a player out, it is anything but a sure thing that he will buy him out in the offseason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishDevil View Post
To

Volchenkov
Josefson

To

Havlat
Irwin? Or a 3rd or something, not really sure what Irwin is worth.

Basically an overpaid D for an overpaid F that could use a change of scenery; plus a couple of younger guys that balance it out so each team gets a forward and a defender. Add and subtract minor parts as necessary.
Yeh I would say Irwin is worth a 2nd/3rd based on his season last year and caphit next year. This year he was looking good but Boyle got injured, threw off his groove. We probably stretched his skill playing him on the top pairing, his best attribute is blasting bombs on the PP, really good shot.

Who's better, Volchenkov or Salvador? how long is Salvador going to be out?

The premise of your deal looks pretty good. We don't really need Jofeson when we have Sheppard. If Merril is off the table, what about Gelinas? Getting a LHD vet to play now and a close to NHL ready prospect would be perfect.
what about

Salvador
Merril/Gelinas
NJD 2nd 14
for
Havlat
Irwin
SJ 1st

That might be over value of the prospects, I keep hearing how great the NJD d prospects are. Possible it's not a huge shift between Sj's 1st and NJ's 2nd, on the other hand it could be.

zombiekopitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 02:01 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robes of Teal View Post
Havlat/Kennedy
Irwin
for
Brunner/Jagr
Salvador

Of course NJ probably would want to keep Jagr to roll the superstar Czech line 2004. Sharks want Jagr so he can make Hertl all awesome and stuff.
New Jersey probably laughs and hangs up the phone.

Old
11-18-2013, 02:04 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
^Doug Wilson has never bought a player out, it is anything but a sure thing that he will buy him out in the offseason.

Yeh I would say Irwin is worth a 2nd/3rd based on his season last year and caphit next year. This year he was looking good but Boyle got injured, threw off his groove. We probably stretched his skill playing him on the top pairing, his best attribute is blasting bombs on the PP, really good shot.

Who's better, Volchenkov or Salvador? how long is Salvador going to be out?

The premise of your deal looks pretty good. We don't really need Jofeson when we have Sheppard. If Merril is off the table, what about Gelinas? Getting a LHD vet to play now and a close to NHL ready prospect would be perfect.
what about

Salvador
Merril/Gelinas LOL
NJD 2nd 14 LOL

for
Havlat
Irwin
SJ 1st

That might be over value of the prospects, I keep hearing how great the NJD d prospects are. Possible it's not a huge shift between Sj's 1st and NJ's 2nd, on the other hand it could be.
In the real world, Havlat has negative value. Everyone in the NHL knows that SJ would have bought out Havlat this past off-season had he been healthy. Everyone knows Havlat can be had for free in the off-season. In short, he's not worth the pucks the players practice with. He's worth less because of that ridiculous contract.

Merrill/Gelinas are worth more than that entire package you just offered. Far more. Not only that, but they're off limits in any deal for a guy like Havlat. The 1st is simply cosmetic. A low first means nothing to NJ if it means replenishing the farm system with players that are going to be 3-4 years away from the league. Why do this deal if we're giving a way a defenseman that's ready now?

Irwin is a nice piece but we have plenty of nice pieces at the back end. No need for Irwin.

Old
11-18-2013, 02:07 PM
SeidoN
Pacing Well

Quote:

Salvador
Merril/Gelinas
NJD 2nd 14
for
Havlat
Irwin
SJ 1st
absolutely, completely no way

SeidoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 02:17 PM
Nolan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePSEGPowerPoster View Post
Havlat for Volchenkov/Salvador straight up. And I probably ask San Jose to pay airfare and send me a 4th round pick as well.

Everyone knows Havlat is going to be bought out. Why would NJ give anything of value PERIOD here?
I suspect Havlat will be on our roster next year. He still plays at a top 6 level, and our org is not deep pockets, so buy-outs are unknown out here. I get why you don't value Havlat enough to trade for him as a top 6, but he does add value when on the Ice.

By all accounts, Volchenkov and Salvador are not fast enough skaters to intrest us. We traded Clowe, Murray and Handzus at the deadline last year to increase our team speed. (Plus already have Hannon and Stuart for bottom 4 Vets)

How about Kennedy + 1 + Irwin (or a 2nd) for Jon Merrill

Nolan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 02:20 PM
zombiekopitor
Timo Time

Quote:
In the real world, Havlat has negative value. Everyone in the NHL knows that SJ would have bought out Havlat this past off-season had he been healthy. Everyone knows Havlat can be had for free in the off-season. In short, he's not worth the pucks the players practice with. He's worth less because of that ridiculous contract.

Merrill/Gelinas are worth more than that entire package you just offered. Far more. Not only that, but they're off limits in any deal for a guy like Havlat. The 1st is simply cosmetic. A low first means nothing to NJ if it means replenishing the farm system with players that are going to be 3-4 years away from the league. Why do this deal if we're giving a way a defenseman that's ready now?

Irwin is a nice piece but we have plenty of nice pieces at the back end. No need for Irwin.
You can't speak matter of fact like "everyone knows Havlat was/is going to be bought out", obviously you don't watch the Sharks, he still looks like a top 6 player( in the limited time he's ever out there, I know lol),the only time he really looks like he gives a **** is in the postseason, he could be on the IR all fricking season if he brings it the playoffs for all I care.

Salvador and or Volcheckov are not worth any more, both are overpaid. A swap would simply be a hockey trade. Why wouldn't you want to give him a chance to play some of his friends he's played with on international teams and likely has chemistry?

Taking that out
2nd
Gelinas/Merril
for
Irwin
1st

I just don't know anything about your guys outside of stats and what I've read, so fair enough if you don't like it. just don't bring that 'negative' value crap into it.

Old
11-18-2013, 02:24 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
You can't speak matter of fact like "everyone knows Havlat was/is going to be bought out", obviously you don't watch the Sharks, he still looks like a top 6 player( in the limited time he's ever out there, I know lol),the only time he really looks like he gives a **** is in the postseason, he could be on the IR all fricking season if he brings it the playoffs for all I care.
It was crystal clear that Havlat was a buyout candidate this past off-season. Given how his injury issues are clearly still, well, issues not much changes. Except Hertl emerges and Wilson sees that he saves more money and improves his team trying to buy out Havlat again. Let's be honest here. Everyone in the NHL can read the cards here.

Quote:
Salvador and or Volcheckov are not worth any more, both are overpaid. A swap would simply be a hockey trade. Why wouldn't you want to give him a chance to play some of his friends he's played with on international teams and likely has chemistry?
You mean a trade that makes sense? One overpaid, underperforming forward for one overpaid D-Man? Because Volch and Sal have both been solid.

Quote:
Taking that out
2nd
Gelinas/Merril
for
Irwin
1st

I just don't know anything about your guys outside of stats and what I've read, so fair enough if you don't like it. just don't bring that 'negative' value crap into it
I think you know enough to fleece us clearly.

Old
11-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Classic Devil
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Gelinas and Merrill are not on the table. Period, end of story.

Neither is our 2nd in 2014, given we don't have a 1st, but that's a pragmatic consideration rather than a statement of value.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 02:38 PM
zombiekopitor
Timo Time

Quote:

I think you know enough to fleece us clearly.
only on hf would the team who is giving up the 1st round pick and the young player who played at a 13goal pace next to Dan Boyle for a (half)season, for an unproven prospect be considered 'fleecing'
Apparently Merril and Gelinas are the next Karlsson and OEL, so excuse me for trying to gauge value and have a civil discussion

Old
11-18-2013, 02:45 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
only on hf would the team who is giving up the 1st round pick and the young player who played at a 13goal pace next to Dan Boyle for a (half)season, for an unproven prospect be considered 'fleecing'
Apparently Merril and Gelinas are the next Karlsson and OEL, so excuse me for trying to gauge value and have a civil discussion
You should do a little more research before offering a low first and an average 25 year old D-Man who is a UFA 2015-2016. Why in the world would the Devils give up two of their stud prospects and a comparable pick for that guy? It makes no sense.

If Irwin is so fantastic why are you trying to trade him for "an unproven prospect."

We both know your first is useless especially in a bad draft.

Old
11-18-2013, 02:53 PM
zombiekopitor
Timo Time

Quote:
You should do a little more research before offering a low first and an average 25 year old D-Man who is a UFA 2015-2016. Why in the world would the Devils give up two of their stud prospects and a comparable pick for that guy? It makes no sense.

If Irwin is so fantastic why are you trying to trade him for "an unproven prospect."

so much facepalm, first of all we both don't know diddily do do.
a late 1st round pick is useless? Apparently Lou didn't get the message and countless great players picked in that area of the draft. Though you would be better off just letting DW make the pick :p

I really wanted to get some input from Devils fans about their players, not "your players suck, ours are way better", I actually, you know gave you some info about our players. Done talking to you dude

Old
11-18-2013, 02:56 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:

I'm not going to comment on the proposal but our pick in the last bad draft was Tomas Hertl. Plus, the only people who were saying that Havlat was a buyout candidate was people outside the organization like the folks on here. There was never any hint that management was going to buy out Havlat and chances are they won't. They'd rather pay him to play than not even with a freebie with the cap hit being taken off. He's not getting bought out.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 03:17 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I'm not going to comment on the proposal but our pick in the last bad draft was Tomas Hertl. Plus, the only people who were saying that Havlat was a buyout candidate was people outside the organization like the folks on here. There was never any hint that management was going to buy out Havlat and chances are they won't. They'd rather pay him to play than not even with a freebie with the cap hit being taken off. He's not getting bought out.
Media around the Sharks all but guaranteed it would happen. And Wilson saved his buyout to use this off-season as opposed to using it last off-season. So we will see.

Quote:
so much facepalm, first of all we both don't know diddily do do.
a late 1st round pick is useless? Apparently Lou didn't get the message and countless great players picked in that area of the draft. Though you would be better off just letting DW make the pick :p

I really wanted to get some input from Devils fans about their players, not "your players suck, ours are way better", I actually, you know gave you some info about our players. Done talking to you dude
You could have asked about Merrill and Gelinas before offering that proposal. Or googled.

That's a question.

Old
11-18-2013, 03:23 PM
domon

Quote:
Media around the Sharks all but guaranteed it would happen. And Wilson saved his buyout to use this off-season as opposed to using it last off-season. So we will see.

That's a question.
Where? Kevin Kurz? He has a hate-on for Havlat for some reason.

domon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 03:33 PM
Aethon
12 Axes

Look. Without insulting anyone, here is the Devils situation: They are going to build their defense on Larsson, Gelinas, Merrill and Severson... period.

The Devils don't want any additional dmen, have no use for one and currently would like to get rid of one.

It really doesn't make sense to ask for one of those core young guys in an equal value offer, those are the building blocks. It also doesn't make sense to offer NJ a defenseman, they are trying make room for these young guys.

Devils fans get frustrated because they've been saying this for two years.

Aethon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Mattb124

Quote:
Kevin Kurz, our Shark's "insider" (quotes used for irony) hates Havlat and said he played his last game as a Shark last season. He was wrong. No one who knows diddly "all but guaranteed it would happen". My guess is he will not be bought out, although I would not be surprised if it happens. Doug Wilson has tried very hard to make San Jose a place where players want to play, and using compliance buyouts would not further that agenda.

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 03:43 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Wouldn't it be an amnesty? I doubt using that would deter players from playing in SJ.

Old
11-18-2013, 03:54 PM
AfroThunder396
Certified G

vCash: 1670
We have a fantastic nucleus of young defensemen to build around.

We also have a budding superstar goaltender about to enter his prime learning from the best that's ever played the game.

We have a large assortment of roleplayers, bottom-sixers, checkers, PKers, and utility players in our prospects.

Literally the only thing we need are young top-six roster players and can't miss top-6 prospects (think Silfverberg, Armia, Nyquist, Skinner, Coyle, etc).

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 03:59 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
No they didn't because everyone knew he was hurt and wouldn't qualify for it. And GM's get two buyouts to use so it's irrelevant whether he used one then or coming up. I sincerely doubt it will happen. They're not interested in spending dead money like that.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote