HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

LA - Dal

Old
11-18-2013, 02:34 PM
neutral*

vCash: 500
Horrible for the Kings.

neutral* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

It took us over half a decade to finally get a sniper that works in the system. Wouldn't trade Carter for Benn and take the risk of it backfiring, yet alone add Brown

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 03:07 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookKing View Post
My bad -- missed that for some reason. Nonetheless, his top end so far on goals is 26. Carter did that in the shortened season last year -- on a team where goal scoring goes to die. Yes, Benn is a very good young player with lots of potential . Talk to me when he pots at least 30 and gets a playoff game or two under his belt.
First of all, just because a guy has experience in the playoffs compared to the next doesn't make him a better player. It's pompous to sit back and have that attitude when your guy is the one with the experience. It's a convenient argument and that's it.

Props to Carter for being a good playoff performer, not gonna take anything away from the guy and I wish we had him as our #2 center I think we'd be a much better team (no offense to Eakin), but you can't tell me that Benn right now isn't the guy that most if not all GMs take on their team between the two. Because he is.

Carter may or may not go down as the better goal scorer. Until Benn hits new heights there that's fair, and I'm fine with that. Doesn't make him the better "player".

And I'm pretty sure Benn is beyond the point of just "potential" pal.

Last edited by tjcurrie: 11-18-2013 at 03:39 PM.
tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
If Jeff is one dimensional, what does that make Jamie?
The furthest thing from One-dimensional!

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 03:36 PM
HolyShot*

I know. Brown provides too much stability to be traded. He does his job well enough to not be traded. And carter is one hell of a sniper that warrants no trade and DL wouldn't pull off this trade unless **** hit the fan, but hell, its nice to dream.

HolyShot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 03:38 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
No. No he's not.
We each have our own opinions and that is fine but Benn alone IMO has more value than those two listed individually and combined!

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Martyros
Allow me to retort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine Ragusa View Post
The furthest thing from One-dimensional!
How often is Been on the PK?

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 03:59 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
How often is Been on the PK?

We have a bunch of guys who can kill penalties

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 04:02 PM
Jorkkila
ChickenCageOfTerror!

Lets put this in proportion:

In the last five seasons (counting this one)
Benn has played 283 games and has 216 points, good for .763PPG
Carter has played 271 games and has 203 points, good fpr .749PPG
[This year Benn: 23p in 20gp(1.15ppg)/ Carter: 9p in 14gp(0.64ppg)]

Not only has Benn managed to stay healthier, he has also produced more in the last five years. That time period also includes Benn's rookie season!
Digging deeper, Benn has been playing almost all of that out of his natural position. In a less-than-mediocre team.

Okay so lot of people are reminding us of Carter's one 80+point season and saying that Benn hasn't been able to do that. Well Carter did that when he was 24, as old as Benn is now, and by the looks of it, he is going to smash that number (on pace for ~95point season). Then same people are saying that Carter scores alot more and Benn can't score. Well Carter is sniper and Benn more of a playmaker. Benn won't propably hit 30 goals a season very often (he had 26 in his third NHL season and missed 11 games) but he will hit 70-80 assists on the line with Seguin.
Since his clutch season of 80+p, Carter has been declining to around 60p/season, while Benn is on his way up, rapidly I might add.

So if you don't live in the past you see that Benn is better than Carter, clearly. But by a margin as big as Brown, absolutely not! Considering Brown's contract of 8years @6mil kicking in next year the trade would be somewhat balanced.
That said, no way in frozen h*ll would I even consider trading Benn!

Edit
[Okay so maybe the last line went a bit far, too many drinks I presume. Cheers tho]

Last edited by Jorkkila: 11-18-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Jorkkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorkkila View Post

Not only has Benn managed to stay healthier, he has also produced more in the last five years. That time period also includes Benn's rookie season!
Digging deeper, Benn has been playing almost all of that out of his natural position. In a less-than-mediocre team.

Okay so lot of people are reminding us of Carter's one 80+point season and saying that Benn hasn't been able to do that. Well Carter did that when he was 24, as old as Benn is now, and by the looks of it, he is going to smash that number (on pace for ~95point season). Then same people are saying that Carter scores alot more and Benn can't score. Well Carter is sniper and Benn more of a playmaker. Benn won't propably hit 30 goals a season very often (he had 26 in his third NHL season and missed 11 games) but he will hit 70-80 assists on the line with Seguin.
Since his clutch season of 80+p, Carter has been declining to around 60p/season, while Benn is on his way up, rapidly I might add.

So if you don't live in the past you see that Benn is better than Carter, clearly. But by a margin as big as Brown, absolutely not! Considering Brown's contract of 8years @6mil kicking in next year the trade would be somewhat balanced.
That said, no way in frozen h*ll would I even consider trading Benn! Not even if we were offered Crosby and Malkin, Benn along with his skill and point production is faaar more exciting player to watch.

Thanks for the laugh. And we thought the OP had lost his mind with this nonsensical proposal...

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 04:15 PM
MetalGodAOD*

Quote:
That said, no way in frozen h*ll would I even consider trading Benn! Not even if we were offered Crosby and Malkin, Benn along with his skill and point production is faaar more exciting player to watch.
I love Benn, but come on man

MetalGodAOD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 04:19 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I see that Jamie Benn is slowly becoming the next Claude Giroux as the annual HF overrated player of the year.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 04:22 PM
Pohlow

Wait, are LA fans really saying they wouldn't trade Carter for Benn straight up? Good God, Benn has terrorized your team that much?

Pohlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorkkila View Post

Oh gee, another poster breaking out only offensive stats. Carter declining, that is freakin halarious. Watch a few kings games when Carts come back then come back here and post how he is declining. You are already saying how Benn would will hit 80 assists playing with Seguin. Do you honestly think he would come anywhere close to that playing on the defensive minded Kings? I sure in the hell don't.

It's fine to have opinions on players, and which ones are better than others. All of it is subjective and is completely understandable. Just please don't go posting garbage about how a player is on a downward trend as you claim Carter is.

Your suggestion of not trading Benn for Crosby and Malkin speaks volumes with how thick your homer glasses really are.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohlow View Post
Wait, are LA fans really saying they wouldn't trade Carter for Benn straight up? Good God, Benn has terrorized your team that much?
Why would the kings do it? Carter is thriving on a defensive minded team. The kings really don't need another play maker if it costs them the only true sniper they have.

Terrorized how exactly? He would have to play in the playoffs first no?

Old
11-18-2013, 04:34 PM
tjcurrie

Benn is the single most valuable piece in this proposed deal. Anyone suggesting otherwise is off their rocker.

That said, it's a 2 for one deal. As a Stars fan though I don't do it because as I stated already, Benn is the best player here and is only 24. He's our home grown franchise player, our captain, and we're building around the what-appears-to-be dynamic duo of he and Seguin. We've waited a long time to bring along another home grown stud since Modano and he's finally arrived (not placing Benn on Modano's level though).

From L.A.'s standpoint, that's two solid solid core players. I'm sure they would love to add Benn but ripping those two guys out of the heart of their current lineup would be tough. If they were in rebuild mode then they maybe consider it but at this point they are not.

Benn suits our franchise and where we're at right now better, and L.A.'s two guys suit them right now. But dont kid yourselves Kings fans, you WOULD be getting the best player in the deal. I'm too lazy but one of you do a poll on here if you want to see which side the crowd agrees with.

Last edited by tjcurrie: 11-18-2013 at 04:39 PM.
tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 04:56 PM
kingsfan
Yes my liege!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine Ragusa View Post
We each have our own opinions and that is fine but Benn alone IMO has more value than those two listed individually and combined!
Individually I agree, benn is the better player IMO, and I've stated so in this thread already.

Combined though, no chance. If you really think that, start a poll and get decimated.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 05:33 PM
Reclamation Project
It's So Easy

Typical trade proposal. Garbage posts as usual.

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Individually I agree, benn is the better player IMO, and I've stated so in this thread already.

Combined though, no chance. If you really think that, start a poll and get decimated.
It would be more fun to have a who madder poll...

Dallas fans who have never offered their favorite son in any trade offer seeing someone on HF make one;

or,

LA fans who have two of their key players undervalued by the OP and various Dallas posters to the point where these two are equal or LESSER than Benn.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 05:57 PM
jacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by raswilliam View Post
Jamie Benns best season 26-37-63
Jeff Carters best season 46-38-84
Dustin Browns best season 33-27-60

I know numbers dont tell the whole story, Just saying!

Carters best season of 84 pts was 7 yrs ago.Since than he's been an average 60 pt player at best.

Benns best season was only two yrs ago.He had better average last season which was a shorten and this season he's on pace for about 90 pts.
See the difference between Benn and Carter.One has been on a steady decline while the other has been producing better and better.
Benn is easily the better player as we speak.

jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 05:59 PM
Winger23

I just love it when people refer to putting a poll up here as if that poll will be the deciding factor in determining who the better player is. I'll vote Brown as the best player of the 3, just because it's a poll and must be right.

Bottom line is this thread, regardless whoever is better, it's an rediculous trade proposal to begin with, and Carter is much more valuable to the Kings and Benn is better suited on the Stars. The fact that Brown is thrown in is just ********. /End thread.

Old
11-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacks View Post
Carters best season of 84 pts was 7 yrs ago.Since than he's been an average 60 pt player at best.

Benns best season was only two yrs ago.He had better average last season which was a shorten and this season he's on pace for about 90 pts.
See the difference between Benn and Carter.One has been on a steady decline while the other has been producing better and better.
Benn is easily the better player as we speak.
"Average 60 point player"....thanks for the humor.

For the love of God put down the box scores, and WATCH a game or 2. You'd be amazed at what you are missing.

Old
11-18-2013, 06:05 PM
haf

We should just stop talking about it as an even vaguely realistic trade proposal.
I did learn a lot about all of these players however.

D. Brown's contract is seriously insane. You better win another cup now while you can.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 06:08 PM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by haf View Post
We should just stop talking about it as an even vaguely realistic trade proposal.
I did learn a lot about all of these players however.

D. Brown's contract is seriously insane. You better win another cup now while you can.
The Cap is going to go up, if it were this year it would be a huge issue...upcoming seasons not so much.

Old
11-18-2013, 06:21 PM
KingKopitar11*

Did someone seriously offer up Jeff Carter? How are you a Kings fan? Jeff has arguably the best release in the NHL. And Brown is not some throw in. Wow.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote