HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jack Skille anyone?

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2005, 12:20 AM
theo6060

vCash: 500
Jack Skille anyone?

First off, I've never seen him play so I'm not speaking on personal viewings, more so from scouting notes I've read. It's obvious Montreal needs some size, and a player everyone seems to talk about is Bobby Ryan. Ryan scares me to death. I saw him and his skating really is bad. He's a very high risk pick in my mind, and I'd prefer leaving him for Columbus or Chicago or whoever else wants him if he's still there at 5.

So if not for Ryan, what about Skille? He's the next most logical choice in my opinion for a power forward. Bourret's attitude is a huge deterrent and he's not big enough to be a true PF. Red Line compares him to be a Bill Guerin prototype.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/colum...08_104413_5812

A possible future Bill Guerin type would help some of Montreal's creative players like Kostitsyn and Perezhogin find more room on the ice. Plus, he'd create havoc in front of the net. From what I've been hearing, he's got the skill and the size. What do you think?

Old
07-25-2005, 12:35 AM
Zaitsev

Send a message via MSN to Zaitsev
Quote:
Originally Posted by theo6060
First off, I've never seen him play so I'm not speaking on personal viewings, more so from scouting notes I've read. It's obvious Montreal needs some size, and a player everyone seems to talk about is Bobby Ryan. Ryan scares me to death. I saw him and his skating really is bad. He's a very high risk pick in my mind, and I'd prefer leaving him for Columbus or Chicago or whoever else wants him if he's still there at 5.

So if not for Ryan, what about Skille? He's the next most logical choice in my opinion for a power forward. Bourret's attitude is a huge deterrent and he's not big enough to be a true PF. Red Line compares him to be a Bill Guerin prototype.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/colum...08_104413_5812

A possible future Bill Guerin type would help some of Montreal's creative players like Kostitsyn and Perezhogin find more room on the ice. Plus, he'd create havoc in front of the net. From what I've been hearing, he's got the skill and the size. What do you think?
Honestly if Ryan is gone thats mean Brule or Korpitar is available and I'd choose one of them before Skille anyday of the week. Even if Skille is a good pick , but not at number 5

Old
07-25-2005, 12:37 AM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Not at number 5, sorry.I'd draft one of Brule,Ryan,Pouliot,Kopitar instead.

Skille would be a good pick for the canucks or the sens.

Old
07-25-2005, 12:41 AM
theo6060

Forget the fact Montreal's picking 5th, Skille could be a Bill Guerin type of player. Wouldn't you want someone like that on a line with a guy like Kostitsyn or Perezhogin?

Old
07-25-2005, 12:46 AM
Squeaky

I like Skille, and I think he should go shortly after the big 6, probably as soon as 7th, and no later than 9th (unless the sens actually take the goalie, then 10th I suppose.) That said, I stay well clear of him at 5th.

Old
07-25-2005, 12:52 AM
Form and Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great One
Not at number 5, sorry.I'd draft one of Brule,Ryan,Pouliot,Kopitar instead.

Skille would be a good pick for the canucks or the sens.
So would I. Brule being my #1 choice though I think he'll be taken before that. Sweet avatar TGO.

Old
07-25-2005, 07:01 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

I wouldn't even consider Skille. Oh sure, he skates better than Ryan, but can he do anything else? I don't think he has any hands at all. I can't imagine him ever being more than a Brad Isbister/Dave Scatchard type. Which is all well and good in their way, up and down the wings with size and a bit of scoring thrown in. I'd love to have a player like that from a mid-late first round pick. But no way would I settle for that upside with the #5 overall pick.

Old
07-25-2005, 07:28 AM
Mike8

I hate throwing out this line because it's almost become a hockey cliche, but stick with best player available at number five.

Old
07-25-2005, 07:33 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
I don't think he has any hands at all.
Well it's amazing he's made it thus far.

Old
07-25-2005, 07:37 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill pickles
Well it's amazing he's made it thus far.
They do wonders with prosthetics these days. And under those gloves, who would notice?

Of course, as a bonus, if Travis Green gave him a nasty whack on the thumb or whatever in the playoffs, he wouldn't feel a thing. Hmm... maybe picking Skille wouldn't be such a bad idea after all...

Old
07-25-2005, 07:39 AM
Kasparov*

No.

Old
07-25-2005, 05:31 PM
Malefic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by theo6060
Forget the fact Montreal's picking 5th, Skille could be a Bill Guerin type of player. Wouldn't you want someone like that on a line with a guy like Kostitsyn or Perezhogin?
I'll split the middle. i personally think Skille or Staal are the best fits for the Habs. BUT. #5 is too high to be picking these guys. Trading down to get them makes more sense either with the Sens (who want the G) or even Atlanta (who need a centre) would work IMO as long as Gainey gets something decent.

I see Skille as more of a Brendan Morrow, Ryan Smyth type. Someone needs to do the dirty work in the corners and in front of the net to let Koivu, Kostitsyn, Ribieiro and other skill players play their game.

In other words Bob Gainey needs to draft a Bob Gainey type player.

Old
07-25-2005, 11:31 PM
deandebean

This kid has the weirdest of family names for a hockey player. Do you pronounce it like skill or skillee, or skillé?

Old
07-26-2005, 07:40 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
This kid has the weirdest of family names for a hockey player. Do you pronounce it like skill or skillee, or skillé?
Well, at least his name isn't "Ryan"...

Old
07-26-2005, 07:49 AM
High flyin' Habs*

Send a message via ICQ to High flyin' Habs* Send a message via MSN to High flyin' Habs*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Well, at least his name isn't "Ryan"...
Whats wrong with "Ryan"?

Old
07-26-2005, 08:52 PM
Form and Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
I'll split the middle. i personally think Skille or Staal are the best fits for the Habs. BUT. #5 is too high to be picking these guys. Trading down to get them makes more sense either with the Sens (who want the G) or even Atlanta (who need a centre) would work IMO as long as Gainey gets something decent.

I see Skille as more of a Brendan Morrow, Ryan Smyth type. Someone needs to do the dirty work in the corners and in front of the net to let Koivu, Kostitsyn, Ribieiro and other skill players play their game.

In other words Bob Gainey needs to draft a Bob Gainey type player.
But we've got Chipchura.

Old
07-26-2005, 09:48 PM
turnbuckle*

I see Skille dropping past the top ten depending on team's needs especially if Price goes in the top ten. Most of us have seen little of Skille (other than the under 18's), but suddenly he's one of those guys gaining steam of late around HF, based mostly on Red Line's overinfalted rating IMO.

Talking to a couple of scouts that were present when Skille's measurements were taken, he's not nearly as big as they expected. That said, they like his game, and still feel he'll likely be a top 12 pick. Fifth overall? No way. It's pretty much a consensus that there are six or seven (Staal being the 7th) players that stand out from the rest. Skille is the 8th on some lists, 13th/14th on some others, somewhere in between with yet others.

Ryan Ryan Ryan Ryan RYAN!!

Old
07-26-2005, 11:04 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
DRAFT THE BEST POSSIBLE PLAYER

I think of it like this. If I can offer you 47$ for you to have 100$ would you take that over 60$. I sure as hell wouldn't

Old
07-27-2005, 07:35 AM
Bob in Niagara

According to Kyle Woodlief, Skille is in the first tier of prospects, rated higher than Ryan. He thinks the Habs will take Kopitar, for size reasons, if he is still there at number 5.

Old
07-27-2005, 09:34 AM
Habsology

And why Skille is ranked so low? There is a reason because most of the scout rank him lower then top 5.

Old
07-27-2005, 09:39 AM
BORAT

Haha... Jack Skille to be honnest will either be a Guerin type of player or a CHAD KILGER Type of player..

nuff said

Old
07-27-2005, 10:11 AM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habacookie
Haha... Jack Skille to be honnest will either be a Guerin type of player or a CHAD KILGER Type of player..

nuff said
I prefer that gamble over the gamble Bobby Ryan represents which is :
Terry Ryan
or
John Leclair

Old
07-27-2005, 10:52 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Gilbert Brule has as many (possibly more) similarities as a hockey player to Terry Ryan as Bobby Ryan does.

Old
07-27-2005, 11:52 AM
BORAT

Remember Guys, with every prospect donT' get lost in the postive aspects of it ! haha u'd be amazed when sitting at a draft table one of the things we discuss the most is what his shortcomings are. Like

What can we take mroe of a risk on, Bad hands, Bad skating, Bad attitude ?

For example lets say you draft Ryan, ask yourself, can we afford someone as a bad skater, well if you've got a guy like Dagenais on your team, you know thats not quitea good option

Now if you've got a guy like .. I dunno... good skater would be.... lets say... Kyle wellwood, Yup, it won't be a problem becasue if ever on the same line it might balance out !

I think the habs are better drafting a guy like Kopitar who has size, strengh and a sort of mean streak, Worst comes to worst ou get a Nik Antropov/Zubrus/Viktor Kozlov kinda guy, and in the best case you might get a Zhamnov kind of player !

I say its all good !!!

Closed Thread