HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Danny Dekeyser

Old
10-31-2013, 04:08 PM
LolungoReboundo
LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs

vCash: 500
Danny Dekeyser

Hey guys, Leaf fan coming in peace...
I was wondering how you feel about his play thus far how has he been?
what kind of game does he play and what do you guys think his future potential is? (#1D etc?)

LolungoReboundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 04:17 PM
VladTheImpaler
Go Wings

Absolutely love him. I can't ever see him becoming a true top-pairing guy since it doesn't seem like he will ever be a big point-producer...but he definitely looks like he will be a rock on the second pair as a shutdown guy for years to come. As a WMU alum, it makes me even more thrilled he chose to sign here.

VladTheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 04:18 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Thank you Mr. I, RIP

He doesn't have the offense to be a true #1 D. But a top pairing stay at home guy is what he is starting to look like. If he starts playing those minutes his point totals will go up because of the ice time.

Terrific skater and very good in his own zone, still has more growing pains than seem to be acknowledged but that is to be expected with a guy that has played 25 games. Looks like he is going to be around a long time and be a very important part of this team. If he can keep this up, we might get a Smith-Ericsson pairing when Big E returns from injury.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 04:20 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 560
As others have said, I see his game being limited by the fact that he won't be a huge point producer. I think he will likely be a good #2 or great #3 when it's all said and done. I would love to see him develop an offensive game though.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 04:22 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
He doesn't have the offense to be a true #1 D. But a top pairing stay at home guy is what he is starting to look like. If he starts playing those minutes his point totals will go up because of the ice time.

Terrific skater and very good in his own zone, still has more growing pains than seem to be acknowledged but that is to be expected with a guy that has played 25 games. Looks like he is going to be around a long time and be a very important part of this team. If he can keep this up, we might get a Smith-Ericsson pairing when Big E returns from injury.
I wouldn't call him a stay-at-home guy at all. He has a much more mobile game than that and is looking more and more offensively inclined each game. That's not to say, of course, that he will ever be an offensive defenseman, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him put up 25-30 points in the prime of his career due to the sheer calmness and deliberation in his game.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 04:23 PM
odin1981
There can be only 1!

vCash: 475
Probabley falls somewhere in the 2-4 department for defense. Hasn't shown a bunch of offensive potential but has been a stud defensively wise in the lidstrom mold (not comparing him to lidas at all but plays similiar to him ala stick work and positioning instead of laying the body on you).

His offensive instincts have shown promise but he doesn't jump up in the play on pinches much. He can get his shot threw he just hasn't hit on it yet (has had a few off the posts so far). In a couple years he will probably turn into a consistant 25-35 a year (maybe more with pp time but his ceiling will probably be around 40 points).

odin1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 04:28 PM
Chance on Chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
As others have said, I see his game being limited by the fact that he won't be a huge point producer. I think he will likely be a good #2 or great #3 when it's all said and done. I would love to see him develop an offensive game though.
I'd like to see him as a great #3 and paired with an offensive #4 like sproul

Chance on Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 04:29 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Thank you Mr. I, RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
I wouldn't call him a stay-at-home guy at all. He has a much more mobile game than that and is looking more and more offensively inclined each game. That's not to say, of course, that he will ever be an offensive defenseman, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him put up 25-30 points in the prime of his career due to the sheer calmness and deliberation in his game.
25-20 points really isn't all that offensive, especially if he is logging 22-25 minutes a night which he should be shortly.

I mean guys like Stuart, Mitchell, Girardi and Hamhuis put up points at different stretches in their careers, but they are thought of as defense first guys. DeKeyser even with his skating and decent passing is a defense first guy and likely always will be, that is what butters his bread. Quite frankly I couldn't be more happy with that, Hamhuis is the guy I would like him to turn into. Hamhuis has offensive skill and tools but you always think defense with him, but he is a tremendous player.

I guess you can call them both two-way D-man, but I think when you attach stay at home or I guess a nicer term is shutdown D-man that is a very valuable commodity. If you're inclined to believe he might be elite defensively and I am getting there the term stay at home shouldn't be looked at as a dirty word. The points he provides will be gravy to a rock solid smooth skating big man that handles his own zone first.

However, true #1 elite status would mean a significant jump offensively, I just don't really see that ever happening for DD.

Old
10-31-2013, 04:35 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Thank you Mr. I, RIP

We did see something last night in terms of his points outcome, he makes a quick play to Kronwall, who has the offensive chops to spring Tatar. A weak goal, but these are the kind of freebie points a top pairing guy will get from time to time while logging 25 minutes. Playing with Kronwall should help his bottom line points wise. It will also help clean up some of his turnovers, as Kronwall is a wheelhouse passer. They won't go away entirely, but part of the reason Big E's have really reduced is this subtle aspect, Kronwall rarely completely handcuffs Ericsson when they are going d to d.

I am excited if they let this stick, maybe put Ericsson with Smith. I don't know if Babcock will do it, but I think that could be really interesting.

Old
10-31-2013, 04:35 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
25-20 points really isn't all that offensive, especially if he is logging 22-25 minutes a night which he should be shortly.

I mean guys like Stuart, Mitchell, Girardi and Hamhuis put up points at different stretches in their careers, but they are thought of as defense first guys. DeKeyser even with his skating and decent passing is a defense first guy and likely always will be, that is what butters his bread. Quite frankly I couldn't be more happy with that, Hamhuis is the guy I would like him to turn into. Hamhuis has offensive skill and tools but you always think defense with him, but he is a tremendous player.

I guess you can call them both two-way D-man, but I think when you attach stay at home or I guess a nicer term is shutdown D-man that is a very valuable commodity. If you're inclined to believe he might be elite defensively and I am getting there the term stay at home shouldn't be looked at as a dirty word. The points provides will be gravy to a rock solid smooth skating big man that handles his own zone first.

However, true #1 elite status would mean a significant jump offensively, I just don't really see that ever happening for DD.
"Stay at home" isn't a dirty word (er, phrase) - its just a misnomer with respect to DeKeyser. Being "defense first" doesn't change that fact when you rely so much on your mobility, as DeKeyser does.

As for putting up 25-30 points, that would put him generally in the top 40-60 in scoring among defenseman, so its certainly nothing to overlook.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 04:52 PM
Claypool*

I wouldn't draft him in your fantasy league, which is probably what you're asking.

Claypool* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 05:10 PM
19 for president

I think the Wings have found their Stuart replacement in Danny. I don't think he'll every lay guys down like Stuart did, but he is also a better skater. Basically the Wings have a top 4 dman that will solidly shut down players and can make a good first pass. He won't get a ton of points 20-30 average sounds about right, but he'll be great at the transition game, which is an important offensive facet. He is the perfect partner for a roaming offensive dman which is why he looks good with Kronner and will likely one day make a good partner for a guy like Sproul and/or Smith.

I see him topping out a solid 2 way number 2 guy that leans more towards the defensive side of the game. As stated, a great partner dman.

19 for president is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 05:11 PM
Brandel*

I personally think his offensive game will pick up and I think he'll be a top pairing D-man. I'm pretty high on him now, especially since I thought his game would recede from his start last year but he has somehow gotten even better. Also, seeing him play top pair a couple of games this year, he really doesn't look out of place. He looked amazing last night vs the Sedins and he has only played like 25 nhl games? That's astounding to me, no noteworthy mistakes against arguably the top line in the league after only playing 25 games in the league. I REALLY hope he get plays with Kronwall a lot more.

Kronwall - Dekeyser
Ericsson - Smith
Lashoff/Quincey - Kindl

^ I'd like to see that for a bit

Brandel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 05:13 PM
joe89

Honestly if he plays like he has he's gonna be a 25-30 point player by logging minutes and making good passes. I think he's made more offensively than his stats suggest so far.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 05:19 PM
Brandel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Honestly if he plays like he has he's gonna be a 25-30 point player by logging minutes and making good passes. I think he's made more offensively than his stats suggest so far.
I agree, and after I saw him take a slapshot from the point a few nights ago and ring it off the crossbar I realized that he has PP potential as well. That shot was a rocket, I think he's been beyond unlucky to not have a single goal yet. He takes the 7th most shots on our team (basically behind top6) and is first among Dmen. He'll start putting some home soon and people will start to realize that he can and will put up 30pts/season.

Edit: As of right now he's on pace for 18-19 pts this year and I will guarantee you he will pick that pace up.

Brandel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 05:20 PM
Frozen Fiend
DOUBLE D

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladTheImpaler View Post
Absolutely love him. I can't ever see him becoming a true top-pairing guy since it doesn't seem like he will ever be a big point-producer...but he definitely looks like he will be a rock on the second pair as a shutdown guy for years to come. As a WMU alum, it makes me even more thrilled he chose to sign here.
If everything goes to plan i'll be an alum this December.

I used to see him at the bars in Kalamazoo every now and then lol. It's been very fun watching him grow into the player he is now. I think sometime down the road he might develop his offensive game a bit more, but as for now he's doing exactly what the Wings want.

Frozen Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 06:06 PM
JPE123

Very mature for a young player, rarely gets out of position and very good with his stick defensively. If he never develops a big offensive game, he is still a valuable asset. Calm and cool as a cucumber. Living up to his advance billing after only 25 games

JPE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 07:28 PM
Big Poppa Puck
U JUST MADE THE LIST

I like him. Won't give you many points but a very solid 2nd pairing guy.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 08:59 PM
LolungoReboundo
LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs

Thanks guys I really liked him in college thought he had solid top 4 potential but I thought it would take longer for him to develop (ahl etc) but I'm glad he's working out so well just wish the leafs couldve signed him haha

LolungoReboundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 08:44 AM
BF3
Boom Roasted.

#2 potential, #3 is realistic. Could be argued he is the 3rd best defenseman on the team right now. At worst he is a #4.

Been solid.

BF3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 09:02 AM
Brick Top
LANA!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I'm with you- I think he's done more with the puck than is reflected by his stats. I don't think he's logging very many mins with Z or D and since those are the 2 F's driving team scoring so far, there aren't many other points to be found.

I like his play in Detroit's zone, too. On a team not blessed with shutdown defensemen, IMO he's about on par w/ Kronwall inside their own zone and just behind E52 as the best defensive d-man on the team.

Brick Top is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 09:42 AM
SoupGuru

I don't think there's anything keeping him from developing into a bigger offensive role. He has a decent shot and I've seen him find open ice in the offensive zone.

He's just making sure he has his defensive ducks in a row, as he should. I don't think I've seen him make a bad pinch in his career yet. Once he gets more comfortable, I think we'll see him get involved offensively a bit more.

SoupGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 09:55 AM
BinCookin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolungoReboundo View Post
Hey guys, Leaf fan coming in peace...
I was wondering how you feel about his play thus far how has he been?
what kind of game does he play and what do you guys think his future potential is? (#1D etc?)
Dan Dekeyser is a big fan on Nick Lidstrom. I believe Nick's call to DD is ultimately what put him on our team, (amongst other things).

That being said, he molds his game after Lidstrom as well. He tries to always be sound positionally, and he SEEMS so far to be pulling that off. (Obviously he is no Lidstrom, but for a man with <30NHL games, he is looking pretty good out there).

I will go out on a limb and say he could end up developing into anywhere from a #1 to #4 Dman. Most say he has no offensive upside. I think this could change once he gains 2-3 years worth of seasons in the league. His job is secured by being sound defensively. I am sure he knows in his mind, no point getting points yet if your job in the NHL is not secure. Well 1-2 years of safe play will give him some leway. Lidstrom was a great offensive player, but a lot of this skills are things people rarely talk about. Simply the ability to keep the puck in the zone by batting it out of the air. Or the ability to get his shot through to the net (picking his timing). I think DD could learn to do this a 1/2 Lidstroms skills... and that would put him in the 30-35 Pt range. This may never happen. And he has not shown that he would be able to do this yet. But I think this side of his game COULD develop, and his Defensive side is clearly developing now. Lets just say no team is realistically going to be able to trade to acquire DD from the Red Wings anytime soon!

BinCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 10:44 AM
sully61
Unregistered User

The kid played for 3 coaches at Western in his 3 years, all different systems. He never had a chance to be successful offensively. He will be a 30-40 point guy on the first pairing and make a couple Olympic teams. He's already a top 10 American defensemen I'd say. He doesn't make mistakes, he doesn't create a whole lot right now, but no mistakes.

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2013, 12:04 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 925
rwn was right imo.

dekeyser is the most overrated wing.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote