HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rishaug's Approach to Questioning Bryz and Yak Thread

Old
11-19-2013, 02:51 PM
Billybaroo*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
no offence but you're a nobody and they probably get tons of fans come up to them and try to pick their brain about the Oilers and they get sick of it
Yeah, guaranteed players get very tired of that. Cant blame them for their response

Billybaroo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Dubnykov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Dorian2 if you look at the conversation he had with somebody about it he says that the questions he asked were questions that had to be asked on the first day.

Quote:
"Person A" Haha, guys are giving @TSNRyanRishaug a hard time for asking some "difficult" questions. Just lob some softballs next time. #CantWin
Quote:
"Person B" they weren't difficult, they were asinine, and ridiculous. @TSNRyanRishaug
Quote:
"Person A" And now that that's out of the way & done with, it prob won't, nor should be asked again. Day 1. @TSNRyanRishaug
Quote:
"Rishaug" bang on..had to be done today. Now we move on and see what happens
Asking a guy if he is going to have a better relationship with the media isn't a question that should be needed to be asked, over the course of a season he should be able to deduct from interviews if his relationship is better. Rishaug is just a ridiculous person.

Dubnykov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 03:31 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
I don't have a problem with Rishaug asking tough questions but he asked the exact same question twice. When the question is answered why ask it again? This is Jim Rome style reporting. The guy is a clown. He was trying to irritate Bryz and get the sound bite he was after. He better watch out or Bryz will go Darkwing duck on his ass like this:

you do know that rome and everett set that up to boost jims career way back in the day right?

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 03:33 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
if he was asking MacT if the job of cleaning up the mess tambo and lowe left him was harder than he thought i would appreciate him a bit more.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 03:44 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
you do know that rome and everett set that up to boost jims career way back in the day right?
Maybe Bryz and Rishaug are doing the same thing here

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 05:42 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
I dunno. People piss and moan about how soft mainstream sports media are in Edmonton. Brygalov comes in with significant baggage, previous disparaging remarks about Edmonton/Winnipeg markets, and question marks about fit on a bad, struggling hockey team. Clearly a panic move by a management group that could have signed him this off season if they felt confident about his ability. They had to move out Smid to make the contract work. This is a player with a $23,000,000 buyout who will earn $1,642, 857 per year for14 years NOT to play for the Flyers. Surely a few tough questions are reasonable to ask and probe what makes this guy tick.

Rishaug was aggressive but reasonable imo. Too often sports figures get the celebrity treatment and free pass from media. Same thing with Yakupov in once his agent Larionov choice to vent his spleen to an ESPN reporter out of market, his client became the focus of public scrutiny. Creating some discomfort is a by product of asking tough questions.

Rishaug hasn't let these two players off the hook holding them accountable to their public record and probing for answers which is what a good journalist to do. But so rarely done for athletes and celebrities.

He walks a fine line with the Oil management. I find his TSN tv work to be a bit softer on his organizational critique but his radio opinions are deeper, critical analysis. On balance, I think Rishaug is the most insightful media person covering this sad sack organization.
I agree with most of this as well as pretty much all of BEL's posts in this thread.

There's mainstream sports media members I like and others I dislike but I try to put all of their individual approaches in perspective. I'm not a big fan of Rishaug's personality but I appreciate that he takes it upon himself to do something other than lob softball questions during media scrums or offer sanitized/generic opinions on the radio.

abootzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 06:46 PM
Niet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
What football player needs something like that to "boost" their career? If it was staged they've been pretty impressive on keeping it quiet.

Niet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 06:46 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
The media's role is not as social convener. There are big question marks about this player. In any other industry there would be rightly big questions about someone drawing a $23,000,000 severance from a past employer now coming in to save the day. Athletes and actors rarely face hard journalism and fed softball questions and spit out pithy cliches. Bryzgalov's legacy is public domain. He's being called on it in coming in to a market and team he would never had considered if he was on top of his game. The benefit of the doubt will be earned on the ice winning games and as a trusted teammate.

Trained journalists will probe, reframe questions if they feel it is not being answered and look to illicit a response beyond canned messages or cliches. Just so unusual to be done in sports when the booster or sycophant is more closer to the status quo.
If this were to occur in any other sport, most people wouldn't even care. I'm talking media, fans and players, because in other sports there is more personality and colour shown. Bryz is a colourful character who isn't afraid to speak his mind and defend himself when in seemingly vulnerable/sticky situations with the 99% white, Anglo, oldschool hockey media.

Philly is a place where goalies go to die and the organization is a gongshow. The media there found a Russian scapegoat and was out for blood. It's been stated by players, analysts and managers that Bryz was one of their better players his last year in Philly.

To me the bottom line is he's a bit of a character in a horribly vanilla sport (both figuratively and literally), where personality, a good quote, the ability to let loose and speak your mind on occasion is generally discouraged and is synonymous with "character issues" or "bad teammate". I think this is the case with many Russians in NA hockey. They are just different culturally and we have trouble understanding and accepting that by and large.

Media members in hockey need to lighten up and get over themselves and let these personalities shine through. Times are changing, diversity is encouraged. I know it's good to keep things "classy" and tight lipped on occasion but this sport is so bland identity wise.

Enough with this good old Canadian boy/North American mentality, with this rigid "what's right and what is wrong, this is how it's done, this is what you say" train of thought. I'm not saying class, manners, the tired old cliches needs to go down the drain completely but there's something painfully subdued, boring and not to mention fake with the way media and personalities are portrayed and associate with each other. Everything's just way too ****ing conservative for my liking.

/rant

Last edited by Philly85: 11-19-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 07:14 PM
ithxan

Let him know via Twitter how you feel.

ithxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 07:42 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
I agree with most of this as well as pretty much all of BEL's posts in this thread.

There's mainstream sports media members I like and others I dislike but I try to put all of their individual approaches in perspective. I'm not a big fan of Rishaug's personality but I appreciate that he takes it upon himself to do something other than lob softball questions during media scrums or offer sanitized/generic opinions on the radio.
He doesn't though. He lobs just as many softballs at Lowe, MacT and Eakins as the rest of the Oilers media. Also Hall, Hemsky, Eberle, etc. The only times he's doing something else is when it's Bryz or Yak.

You're a media guy, don't try to spin this as 'Oiler fans don't like tough questions asked'. That isn't what this is about.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
He doesn't though. He lobs just as many softballs at Lowe, MacT and Eakins as the rest of the Oilers media. Also Hall, Hemsky, Eberle, etc. The only times he's doing something else is when it's Bryz or Yak.

You're a media guy, don't try to spin this as 'Oiler fans don't like tough questions asked'. That isn't what this is about.
By any objective measure the storiies of Bryz & Yak were way bigger than someone not playing that good.
Its so obvious it kinda baffles me one cant see the distinction. Like, the Yak circus didnt start cause Yak was playing like a bad pee wee player. It was because his agen opened his mouth whing about ice time & giving veiled threats.

Old
11-19-2013, 08:06 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
By any objective measure the storiies of Bryz & Yak were way bigger than someone not playing that good.
Its so obvious it kinda baffles me one cant see the distinction. Like, the Yak circus didnt start cause Yak was playing like a bad pee wee player. It was because his agen opened his mouth whing about ice time & giving veiled threats.
And that's Yak's fault how? And what has Bryz done to deserve being repeatedly asked what its like to be paid to leave? It's fine to ask questions, just don't be an ***hole about it

11-19-2013, 08:50 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinlizzy View Post
My friend and I wanted to buy some of Biz Nasty merch and the prices on shipping were staggering. We tweeted him and then when the Coyotes were in town pract asked him about it. He had no clue period and said someone else was in charge of the merch etc basically no clue.

Another time we went to the Perry Pearn conditioning camp in Edmonton just before training and a bunch of the media RR, Matty etc where there and I tried to engage some conversation on some stuff. Talk about the holier then thou ********. Basically made the convo as short and sweet as possible and hit the ignore button. ****. JMO
I coached Morley Scott's son years ago and it was pretty painful to see parents always asking him about the Oilers and stuff at practice and agmes. Sometimes you just have to give them space. Don't expect a very social experience.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 09:30 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I can't dispute that Ryan picks his spots. I did say say I'm not a fan of his personality. Also I can say, based mostly on his TSN 1260 appearances, he seems to be getting progressively more sour and defensive by the week.

Quote:
I am? That would be news to my employer for the last 29 years.

abootzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 10:17 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
the Yak circus didnt start cause Yak was playing like a bad pee wee player.
For future reference, your argument loses credibility when you resort to hyperbole like this.

I've seen people trying to defend the TSN tool in this thread. So far nothing said has made the guy seem like any less of a dick. Also, the board is fully capable of telling the difference between a "hardball" question, and the kind of stuff TSN pulled the other day.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 10:36 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
And that's Yak's fault how? And what has Bryz done to deserve being repeatedly asked what its like to be paid to leave? It's fine to ask questions, just don't be an ***hole about it
Well, its kinda the way of the world when the agent of a 19 year old kid pops off to the media about his ice time, which the kid restates, that its going to become a bit of a circus. And thats on nobody but Larionov & Yak.
And with Bryz, basically the same thing.He comes here after it been a gong show (largely of his own doing) in Philly, do you actually think the media should just leave it alone?
Now, if the media badgers Yak/Bryz about what's gone on in the past, you may have a point, but unless they do, from my perspective they haven't done anything offside.

Old
11-20-2013, 09:40 AM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 50
LOL.

He just referenced HF on 1260.

Said he needed to look up what xenophobe means.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 09:47 AM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
LOL.

He just referenced HF on 1260.

Said he needed to look up what xenophobe means.
I hope Ryan "TMZ" Rishaug read this thread and shapes the **** up or asks for a new gig.

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 10:02 AM
Debonair

His anti-Yakupov agenda is really lame. I used to like the guy as well... he seemed extremely professional and I believe there was even a positive thread about him on here not too long ago. I don't know what happened.

Debonair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Punter

I have enjoyed Rishaug's reporting a lot over the years. Pointing out the need for a little course correction here is okay. Please don't run him out of town. I don't want his spot filled with some half-baked-Principe clown.

Punter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 10:43 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
I can't dispute that Ryan picks his spots. I did say say I'm not a fan of his personality. Also I can say, based mostly on his TSN 1260 appearances, he seems to be getting progressively more sour and defensive by the week.

I am? That would be news to my employer for the last 29 years.
Oh really? My mistake. For some reason I had it in my head that you used to work at the team 1260. Apologies if I was incorrect. Perhaps I was thinking of a different poster.

I am glad this thread caught his notice. It likely won't change anything, but at least he's aware how many of the fans are viewing his work of late.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 11:38 AM
ReeshTsn

Thanks for the Follow!

Thanks for all of the feedback on the job I'm doing covering your Oilers. A lot of it is actually pretty constructive, and fair opinion.. a lot of it is total garbage too, I think everyone can differentiate for themselves.

I normally don't spend too much time perusing message boards, but this one has been brought to my attention several times, so I did take some time to read through the comments. Today I am responding to all of those who took the time to articulate honest thoughts, not those who choose to spew pure venom and idiocy. Oiler fans are very passionate, so I thought a response was in order, (though I can't help but feel I may regret this…)

I take my job very seriously, I also take seriously the responsibility I have to do it with integrity and honesty. People may not like my approach at times and that's fair, but I am the same reporter I have always been, and I haven't compromised my standards one ounce regardless of the subject. I stand behind every question I asked both to Nail, Ilya, and to Craig Mactavish in his press conference.

Nail and his agent opened the door to some very tough uncomfortable questions when they went public with their unhappiness. We asked the questions that needed to be asked. Why are you doing this? What do you think this will accomplish? How do you feel you are playing defensively? These are fair and natural questions for a young player publicly complaining about his ice time.. not asking them would have been poor journalism. Nail hung in there, did fine answering all of them, and I told the story that I believed represented exactly what happened that day, I stand behind it completely. I'm not here to be nice, I'm not here to "take it easy" on a twenty year old.. He opened the door, we did what we had to do. Anyone who suggests otherwise simply doesn't understand what we do.

A press conference setting like the one Mactavish had a few days later is different. It's a little more civilized and reporters tend to take turns asking questions. He is only there for a limited time, so you have to prioritize your questions based on the story you are wanting to tell. I felt it critical that Craig answer the following questions..

1. Why have you not delivered on your intention to make this team harder to play against? I asked it, he said he underestimated how hard it would be to do so..that its taking longer than he thought. An admission of error.. asked, answered.

2. Where is his head at with his new head coach? He made it clear he backed him completely and that no change was coming. He also listed his reasons why- signs he saw from the players, his read on the situation.

3. What did he have to say about one of the worst defences in the league, which he built? I asked it, he said it wasn't good enough and needed to be improved, that they didn't have to mix they needed to be a legit competitive nhl calibre defence.. an admission of error on his part, asked, answered..

4. Does he need to reconsider his strategy of not touching his core group to address obvious needs - i.e. a #1 defence man. i asked it, he said it would help short term but harm them long term, that was his belief.

Our job is not to sit there and argue with him, if we don't agree, it is to ask questions we feel relevant, and then accurately portray his answers in the story we tell. Craig was asked may questions that day, some of them tougher than others and he handled them all in an honest fashion, as did Nail. I told a story about a GM who has failed to make his team harder to play against, who backs his coach, admits his defence isn't good enough, but believes his core is too important to touch right now. It's then your turn to judge what he said, and how you feel about it.. (I get to do the same in my other job on TSN 1260, a much more opinion based format compared to my SC contributions)

As for Bryzgalov, again, I stand behind every question.. and believe me folks, he knew every one of them was coming. This player has a reputation, like it or not, and you don't get to just walk into another dressing room, free and clear of your past. I/We asked him questions about how it affected him to have a team paying him millions of dollars not to play for them, If he felt his reputation was unfair, if he felt he needed to be different off the ice, in the media this time around.. all questions that i guarantee every one of his teammates was thinking, and questions Craig Mactavish would have asked him before signing him. Ilya did a great job handling it all, and I told a story about what happened that day. now we move on and see what story he writes for himself from here on in. Anything different would have been a disservice to you the fans, his new teammates, his former Flyer teammates who lived through and were affected by the sideshow that was created out there. It is not my job to make sure Ilya loves Edmonton and feels welcomed here so he plays well.. I am a reporter, I follow the story, as my colleagues did that day as well..Sometimes it's uncomfortable content, sometimes we have to be persistent..that was one of those days. Questions asked, answered, we move on.

So there's a little insight into my thought process on all of this. I respect everyone's opinion, and appreciate the honest feedback. I won't go into defending myself on some of the ridiculous accusations of racism, etc posted by some on here, It's pure stupidity. Look forward to reading any responses, day off today for me and it's cold out there…

PS one question I don't stand behind, the One I asked joe Pavelski the other night after the first period in the game against San jose..(anyone who saw it knows the one I'm talking about..) came out totally wrong.. blunder on my part on national television.. hate it when that happens, but it does!

Cheers

ReeshTsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 11:47 AM
OilerFan4Life

Thanks for posting Ryan.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 12:03 PM
ReeshTsn

Back a few years ago there was a "Ryan Rishaug appreciation" thread.. I posted back then when all was grand.. figured I better jump on now that the heat is on.

ReeshTsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 12:04 PM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

Start grilling Hall, Eberle, Gagner, and Kevin Lowe then you might get another appreciation thread. Until then, keep picking your spots.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote