HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Simon Despres

Old
11-19-2013, 07:53 AM
danyhabsfan

vCash: 500
Galchenyuk for Despres and Crosby

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 08:17 AM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
What kind of pick do you think it would take? I don't see the Blues being willing to trade a Schwartz, Paajarvi, Jaskin or Rattie for him. He would give the Blues a better alternative and some depth closer to NHL ready along with Ian Cole. There isn't anyone on their current D that he would unseat.

The Islanders a potential trading partner?
So the Blues won't be getting Despres then. Paajarvi or Schwartz are definitely interesting though. Pens aren't going to trade Despres for picks or non NHL ready prospects. They simply can't afford to. Crosby and Malkin aren't becoming any younger. Trading Despres for picks just sends them back 4 years (when he was drafted). I doubt he will be moved, but if he is, it will be either for a young NHL ready W with similar upside or in a package deal to get a legit top-6 winger.

Also, I think the Islanders make a ton of sense. Something around Grabner for Despres and a pick would be excellent. Or maybe something around Nelson. Reinhart, Pullock and Despres is an excellent group to build your D around.

penguins2946* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 08:21 AM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

I'll be surprised if the Pens trade Despres with Orpik & Niskanen hitting UFA this year and Martin only having one year left on his contract (I think?). But it wouldn't be the first time I've been surprised and if the right deal comes along I guess they'd move him. It won't be for picks or prospects further out from being NHL ready, though, it would have to address a current need.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 08:27 AM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
I'll be surprised if the Pens trade Despres with Orpik & Niskanen hitting UFA this year and Martin only having one year left on his contract (I think?). But it wouldn't be the first time I've been surprised and if the right deal comes along I guess they'd move him. It won't be for picks or prospects further out from being NHL ready, though, it would have to address a current need.
Martin has this year and next year left on his deal. The Pens are grooming Despres to take on of Orpik or Martin's places. Seeing how they're trying to make him more physical and defensive in the AHL, I'd say Orpik. Maatta will probably be replacing Martin full time once he leaves for more money, just like Gonchar did. The D in 2 years once Orpik and Martin leave will be something like:

Letang-Scuderi
Despres-Maatta
Bortuzzo-Dumoulin/Harrington/FA

Maybe switch Maatta and Scuderi, but I'm expecting and hoping for something like that.

Old
11-19-2013, 08:33 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
He's 22 years old and this is his last year of waiver exemption and the last year of his ELC. He seems to be at best ninth on Penguins depth chart currently:

Letang
Orpik
Scuderi
Martin
Niskanen
Maatta
Engelland
Bortuzzo

In addition there Harringon is in AHL and Pouliot will be there next year.

Is time running out for Despres in Pittsburgh or is the plan for him to stay in AHL this year and get a spot in NHL next year? Orpik, Niskanen and Engelland are pending UFAs.
Everything about his post is wrong and misinformed. Engelland isn't ahead of Bortuzzo on the depth chart, Despres is only in the AHL because of his friendly waiver status in a low cap season and you seem to be forgetting Dumoulin in addition to Harrington. And Pouliot should spend a full year in the AHL to really round out his game so we don't have another "Letang" type situation.

Despres has a high value, people here just don't get the situation so they'll crap all over him and assume he's not worth anything because he's still in the AHL, where he's played well, mind you and should be up on the team if Shero ever gets busy moving some dead weight in Engelland (likely a useless move at this point, better off keeping him), or moving a decent guy like Niskanen in his final year on his contract and let Despres get comfortable in his new position as a regular...oh wait, he was a regular last year, but for some reason, the team still hung on to extra defensemen.

Honour Over Glory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 08:41 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmError29 View Post
Martin has this year and next year left on his deal. The Pens are grooming Despres to take on of Orpik or Martin's places. Seeing how they're trying to make him more physical and defensive in the AHL, I'd say Orpik. Maatta will probably be replacing Martin full time once he leaves for more money, just like Gonchar did. The D in 2 years once Orpik and Martin leave will be something like:

Letang-Scuderi
Despres-Maatta
Bortuzzo-Dumoulin/Harrington/FA

Maybe switch Maatta and Scuderi, but I'm expecting and hoping for something like that.
I think Bortuzzo being able to play that physical brand of hockey makes losing Orpik sting less and then you have Ruopp developing and another guy that plays that bruising brand of hockey. Despres has the physical tools of playing that way as well, but he doesn't need to. If anything, Despres needs to add that "pain in the arse" skill to his game the way Bortz has and he's an even more complete defenseman.

I just have this sick feeling that Shero signs Orpik anyway, because Shero, as much as he wants change, is afraid of it.

Honour Over Glory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 08:53 AM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
What kind of pick do you think it would take? I don't see the Blues being willing to trade a Schwartz, Paajarvi, Jaskin or Rattie for him. He would give the Blues a better alternative and some depth closer to NHL ready along with Ian Cole. There isn't anyone on their current D that he would unseat.

Then there's no chance of a trade happening. We're not some lotto team looking for picks.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 09:02 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Which is likely the end of that discussion. Not saying it would be a 1-1, but if all the young winger players/prospects are off the table, there's nothing really to discuss then.

Quote:
I can't see these two teams making a trade like that. Ils also have a lot of D prospects who'll be vying for icetime in the next few years. I can't see them in any hurry to move a close to NHL forward prospect for more D.

11-19-2013, 09:06 AM
Mapleleafs Fan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Sorry, but I wouldn't even consider it - and I like what I've seen of Leivo.
Do you consider a swap for Kulemin?

Mapleleafs Fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 09:16 AM
WheresRamziAbid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapleleafs Fan View Post
For Despres, no IMO, but you can have Niskanen

WheresRamziAbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 09:21 AM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapleleafs Fan View Post
I'd consider a swap for Kulemin...if Despres wasn't involved.

Old
11-19-2013, 09:29 AM
odishabs

Quote:
I'd consider a swap for Kulemin...if Despres wasn't involved.
without sounding like every habs fan ever....Does any hab player/prospect seem like fair value straight up?

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 09:53 AM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
without sounding like every habs fan ever....Does any hab player/prospect seem like fair value straight up?
Eh I don't think so. The players is want for him (Gallagher, Galchenyuk and Eller) aren't available and have significantly more value. So basically, no dice.

Old
11-19-2013, 10:11 AM
tony d
Summer Camp

Maybe Despres+Bennett+a 2014 2nd to Edmonton for Jordan Eberle?

11-19-2013, 10:13 AM
BigBenSF*
Worst Behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Maybe Despres+Bennett+a 2014 2nd to Edmonton for Jordan Eberle?
Fair value, but trading Bennett would eliminate the one good forward prospect that we have. No thanks.

BigBenSF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 12:09 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
So the Blues won't be getting Despres then. Paajarvi or Schwartz are definitely interesting though. Pens aren't going to trade Despres for picks or non NHL ready prospects. They simply can't afford to. Crosby and Malkin aren't becoming any younger. Trading Despres for picks just sends them back 4 years (when he was drafted). I doubt he will be moved, but if he is, it will be either for a young NHL ready W with similar upside or in a package deal to get a legit top-6 winger.

Also, I think the Islanders make a ton of sense. Something around Grabner for Despres and a pick would be excellent. Or maybe something around Nelson. Reinhart, Pullock and Despres is an excellent group to build your D around.
To be honest, if it was Paajarvi for Despres....I would be hesitant, but I think I would do that. Despres probably does more for the Blues than Paajarvi as I don't think Hitchcock will ever let him consistently play.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 12:51 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
Fair value, but trading Bennett would eliminate the one good forward prospect that we have. No thanks.
And the return (cap issues aside) brings a top line player who's locked up for 5.5 years.

I'd try Despres, 2014 1st, + and try to retain Bennett going forward. But ultimately if the cost for Eberle was centered around Bennett & Despres, I'd reluctantly have to make that deal.

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 12:55 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Quote:
To be honest, if it was Paajarvi for Despres....I would be hesitant, but I think I would do that. Despres probably does more for the Blues than Paajarvi as I don't think Hitchcock will ever let him consistently play.
Despres wouldn't consistently play for us either. Hitchcock really hasn't said anything bad about Paajarvi either, so I don't think you should be concerned about him playing.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 01:04 PM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Despres wouldn't consistently play for us either. Hitchcock really hasn't said anything bad about Paajarvi either, so I don't think you should be concerned about him playing.
Yea I dont see what the point of this would be. Id rather keep Pajaarvi, Cole has been fine this year, there really is no need for Despres

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 01:06 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Gee thanks dad! He is an upgrade from Ian Cole and would be an excellent partner for Shatty. Adds some size and toughness to the backline we really lack. Jackman isn't very big. Polak really is the only defenseman you have to watch out for that will knock your block off. My opinion is that it would be an upgrade for us and potentially let us look for another deal with the defensemen that we have.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Nolan11

From the Sharks, best forward prospect we could offer is Freddie Hamilton (had cup of coffee this year, and is a defensively responsible center that looks to be a lock for 3rd line in future). I think he would fit a need for you, but is not equal to Despres/Dumoulin or even Harrington (any of which we would love to trade for).

Hamilton + your 2nd + our 2nd for Despres/Dumoulin (for Harrington, take out our 2nd)

Nolan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan11 View Post
From the Sharks, best forward prospect we could offer is Freddie Hamilton (had cup of coffee this year, and is a defensively responsible center that looks to be a lock for 3rd line in future). I think he would fit a need for you, but is not equal to Despres/Dumoulin or even Harrington (any of which we would love to trade for).

Hamilton + your 2nd + our 2nd for Despres/Dumoulin (for Harrington, take out our 2nd)
The Pens don't need any more centers, they need wingers. I think that if Despres gets traded it will either be for a wing prospect of similar value (as opposed to lesser value + picks) or as part of a package for an upgrade at wing.

Old
11-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Murdoc27

-Roger Millions: Sources saying that Flames coach Bob Hartley has reached his peak in frustration with Sven Baertschi. Looking like he’ll miss tonight’s game and maybe more. (posted yesterday)

Looks like Baertschi is in the doghouse. Would love to get a young sniping prospect to the pens. It would probably take Despres, maybe a plus added on though.

Murdoc27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Nolan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
The Pens don't need any more centers, they need wingers. I think that if Despres gets traded it will either be for a wing prospect of similar value (as opposed to lesser value + picks) or as part of a package for an upgrade at wing.
I've been shot down now on Dumoulin and Despres. What would you be looking for for Harrington? Would a 2nd rounder + a RHD (7.0C rated) or 7.0C rated center of similar age interest you.

Nolan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 05:02 PM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan11 View Post
I've been shot down now on Dumoulin and Despres. What would you be looking for for Harrington? Would a 2nd rounder + a RHD (7.0C rated) or 7.0C rated center of similar age interest you.
Not particularly. The Pens just don't need centers or more D-men coming back. If they want D they're better off holding onto Harrington (most likely, anyway, since you didn't say who would be involved). The Pens need to trade some D, but not for more D or centers unless it was a true upgrade or they move Sutter, which is pretty unlikely.

It would probably take a young wing prospect of equal abilities & equally close to the NHL to interest the Pens.