HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber & Klein

Closed Thread

Old
07-28-2005, 10:50 AM
crossxcheck

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Weber & Klein

I know I've already had a thread on the likelihood of certain Ads making the Preds squad, but I am most interested in how likely it is that we'll see either of these two in a Preds sweater this year. IMO, I'd like to give both a full season in Milwaukee and then go from there.

Old
07-28-2005, 10:59 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Let me begin by projecting the roster/line-ups again as I did in your other thread:

Quote:
Projected lines with two FA signings:

Sullivan, Demitra (FA), Walker
Erat, Legwand, Hartnell
Upshaw, Hall, Gamache
Stevenson/Hordichuk, Johnson, Tootoo

Timmonen, Rathje (FA)
Suter, Hamhuis
Klein/Weber, Zidlicky
Klein/Weber

Vokoun
Mason

This leaves Orzagh and Archipov out along with Hnidy and Eaton unless Klein and/or Weber do not make the jump.

All four lines of fowards feature speed and skill. The fourth line takes away offensive skill and increases checking.

The third line allows Hall to mature his offensive game between two skilled forwards.
Now the thinking was with Weber and Klein was that they would be the 6th and 7th defensemen respectively. I was also counting on an "A" level FA to come in and steady our young core.

If that happened, it made a lot of sense to bring them both up. Especially Weber given his size and willingness to use it. Given the choice between Eaton and Hnidy or Weber and Klein, I'll go with the potential considering the steadiness of the top-5 defensemen.

Thoughts?

David

Old
07-28-2005, 12:06 PM
PredFred

Feels like a threadjack...but...

Given the choice...I'd keep Eaton around and let Weber/Klein grow together ala Hamhuis/Suter this past year.

Old
07-28-2005, 12:14 PM
Moneil18

I don't see them dropping Hnidy and Eaton, two solid defensive d-man for two rookies when they already have Hamhuis and Suter in the mix. With Zidlicky and Timmonen that would leave them with no size at the blue line. Hnidy and Eaton are no monsters by any means but they are bigger than anybody else they already have and both play their positions very well.

Don't really see them signing Demitra either. Just my opinion, but he has to many injury problems.

Old
07-28-2005, 12:31 PM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneil18
I don't see them dropping Hnidy and Eaton, two solid defensive d-man for two rookies when they already have Hamhuis and Suter in the mix. With Zidlicky and Timmonen that would leave them with no size at the blue line. Hnidy and Eaton are no monsters by any means but they are bigger than anybody else they already have and both play their positions very well.

Don't really see them signing Demitra either. Just my opinion, but he has to many injury problems.
Weber is a monster. He can come in and play good minutes. He will hit hard and often and play very good positionally. He will not be the offensive threat he was in juniors instantly but it will come. i think he is ready to make the jump to the show. IMO.

Old
07-28-2005, 12:40 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredFred
Feels like a threadjack...but...

Given the choice...I'd keep Eaton around and let Weber/Klein grow together ala Hamhuis/Suter this past year.
I agree

Old
07-28-2005, 01:00 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
I agree

I'd keep Eaton around...but only if it doesn't affect our signing a top-4 guy. I'd like to see Eaton on the second pairing..and a FA on the top pair with Timonen. Weber and Klein, realistically, will not make this team.

Old
07-28-2005, 02:19 PM
Moneil18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger
Weber is a monster. He can come in and play good minutes. He will hit hard and often and play very good positionally. He will not be the offensive threat he was in juniors instantly but it will come. i think he is ready to make the jump to the show. IMO.
I didn't realize that Webber had bulked up to almost 210 pounds. But I still think he will start the season in Milwaukee just to transition him from juniors to the pros.

Old
07-28-2005, 02:55 PM
KRF

i would imagine that weber should spend a full season in milwaukee, maybe bring him up to nashville for a game or two. but the best thing for any young defenseman is to play a year in the ahl first in my opinion.

Old
07-28-2005, 06:03 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRF
i would imagine that weber should spend a full season in milwaukee, maybe bring him up to nashville for a game or two. but the best thing for any young defenseman is to play a year in the ahl first in my opinion.
Agreed. Give him and Klein good ice time in Milwaukee. They should both be on the first pairing logging around 20-25 minutes a night. If Weber is ever going to be anywhere near the offensive player in the NHL that he was in the WHL, it's going to have to happen at the AHL level. Try him and his shot on the second PP unit and go from there.

There is absolutely no point in rushing these two and there's very little harm, in my opinion, in putting them in Milwaukee for a year or two. It hasn't hurt Suter or Hammer. You rarely hear of players having their careers hurt by spending one season in the AHL, but you often hear of players that could have been better had they not been brought to the NHL so soon.

Old
07-29-2005, 06:42 AM
GlueleG

Mark Eaton is one of the most underrated defensemen in the league. And I dont think he's hit his peak offensively.

Old
07-29-2005, 07:47 AM
predhead1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
There is absolutely no point in rushing these two and there's very little harm, in my opinion, in putting them in Milwaukee for a year or two. It hasn't hurt Suter or Hammer. You rarely hear of players having their careers hurt by spending one season in the AHL, but you often hear of players that could have been better had they not been brought to the NHL so soon.
That's a great point Smokey. I'd rather we let these two mature at their own pace, rather than rush them to the NHL in order to fill a short-term need. We can always sign a journeyman d-man near the league minimum to provide some depth later in the season. Allowing them to play in the AHL for a while will yield higher dividends in the long run.

Old
07-29-2005, 08:51 AM
beautypersoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlueleG
Mark Eaton is one of the most underrated defensemen in the league. And I dont think he's hit his peak offensively.
Hear, hear! He's definitely one of the most under-rated defensemen in the league. I'm not sure he can put up more offensively though. Maybe if they give him the opportunity on the powerplay or something; but with Dan Hamhuis, Kimmo Timonen and Marek Zidlicky around... I'm VERY satisfied with his role with the team as it is. He just needs more respect.

Anyhoo...

Old
07-29-2005, 10:22 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

I still believe that the Preds will bring one, if not both, of Klein and Weber up- especially with them letting Hnidy go. If they let Eaton go, they bring them both up. It would make no sense to let cheap d-men, familiar with your system, go without bringing someone from within up as opposed to finding equally cheap d-men on the FA market. If it's one, it will probably be Klein though.

It looks like my line of Upshaw, Hall, and Gamache isn't too far fetched. I really like that line.

David

Old
07-29-2005, 10:50 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

It's Upshall

Old
07-29-2005, 11:09 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingle
I still believe that the Preds will bring one, if not both, of Klein and Weber up- especially with them letting Hnidy go. If they let Eaton go, they bring them both up. It would make no sense to let cheap d-men, familiar with your system, go without bringing someone from within up as opposed to finding equally cheap d-men on the FA market. If it's one, it will probably be Klein though.

It looks like my line of Upshaw, Hall, and Gamache isn't too far fetched. I really like that line.

David

You don't just bring up rookies...because you can. We're all eager to see them, but playing THREE rookies on defense likely means we're not a playoff team. We had a young defense last year....but Hamhuis and Zidlicky played like no one believed they could or would. I'm afraid lightning doesn't strike twice in that regard. Besides, you can't build your team with a mentality that "well, a free agent 'won't know our system,' so we won't get anyone." That's short-sighted and is bound to cause your team to fail. Klein and Weber would be done a disservice by being rushed into the NHL when they could be playing 20-25 minutes a night in the minors.

Old
07-29-2005, 11:17 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
You don't just bring up rookies...because you can. We're all eager to see them, but playing THREE rookies on defense likely means we're not a playoff team. We had a young defense last year....but Hamhuis and Zidlicky played like no one believed they could or would. I'm afraid lightning doesn't strike twice in that regard. Besides, you can't build your team with a mentality that "well, a free agent 'won't know our system,' so we won't get anyone." That's short-sighted and is bound to cause your team to fail. Klein and Weber would be done a disservice by being rushed into the NHL when they could be playing 20-25 minutes a night in the minors.
Completely understand and agree for the most part. However, it makes no sense to let Hnidy and Eaton go just to bring in two other cheap FAs. Those two guys fit our system both on the ice and the for cap purposes.

What I'm saying is I believe they let those two go only if they definitely have plans to bring up Klein and/or Weber. They don't let them go just to bring in two different FAs. That decision would make no sense. At least the decision to bring Klein/Weber up makes sense in that they would apparently feel that they were ready and room had to be made (that is- not just because they can). Now that feeling that those two are ready might be questionable to some. But the act of letting Eaton and Hnidy go to bring in two other d-men of the same caliber and money doesn't make sense.

Thanks,
David

Old
07-29-2005, 11:25 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Who is mentioning cheap FA's, though? If we DID let both go( I don't think we will) and signed Hamrlik and Rathje...you'd think it was a bad thing?

Old
07-29-2005, 11:36 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
Who is mentioning cheap FA's, though? If we DID let both go( I don't think we will) and signed Hamrlik and Rathje...you'd think it was a bad thing?
In that case, it makes total sense. But, I believe their focus should be (in this order): #1 center, top 4 d-man. Let's assume that they achieve that with Demitra and Rathje. Do you think Poile will also go after Hamrlik? Hey, I hope so, but I don't think we'll be that aggressive. In all honesty, I wouldn't want us to get more than three or four FAs though. I highly prize team chemistry and don't want it altered it too much.

In answer to your question, though, I would like them to pursue two d-men- just not at the cost of a #1 center.

David

Old
07-29-2005, 11:44 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Not much change in defensive positioning from one system to the next. The biggest changes in systems come with the centers and wingers assignments, forechecking, backchecking, zones, etc....

Old
07-29-2005, 11:55 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I think chemistry is an important thing, but with a year away from the game, I think EVERYONE is going to be trying to reestablish team chemistry again......so if we are going for turnover......now is the time to do it.