HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Ottawa wants your top four defenseman

Old
11-20-2013, 01:45 PM
Vesa Awesaka
#KeepTheSenate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
I live in Ontario, what do you think?
0? judging by our attendance

Vesa Awesaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 01:47 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesa Awesaka View Post
0? judging by our attendance
LOL...I wasn't going to mention that...

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 01:55 PM
neutral*

Just a question to Ottawa fans, Why are you valuing Spezza so low? He's pretty much PPG (2 points off it) and still a #1 center. His value is a lot more than one defenseman. #1 centers don't come easy in this league.

neutral* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 01:58 PM
LeTigre

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral View Post
Just a question to Ottawa fans, Why are you valuing Spezza so low? He's pretty much PPG (2 points off it) and still a #1 center. His value is a lot more than one defenseman. #1 centers don't come easy in this league.
Because his play is currently leaving something to be desired, and it's driving the collective fan base crazy. Personally, I recognize that he's still on the upswing of recovery from injuries, and has had a revolving door of linemates. It can only get better. Yet fans seem to think the sky is falling with him, and want to ship him out the door for less than market value returns.

LeTigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 02:02 PM
Best In The Game

you can have volchenkov back

Best In The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Benjamin
Differently Financed

vCash: 50
Quote:
Spezza is no longer a #1 center. He's been brutal 5 on 5 this season. Slow, bad defensively, questionable effort and a lot of questionable offensive choices.

Benjamin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Wondercarrot
Stone, Mr.

Quote:
Because years ago a vocal minority of our fanbase decided that they would **** all over spezza regardless of performance, effort, wingers, overall team play etc.
Everyone loses the puck or has their passes picked off from time to time - but when spezza does it they've decided that that pass is every bad pass he's made in his career.

He's putting up points and has had some really good games this year and he's had some bad games this year - he doesnt seem quite himself skating so far this year and his wingers couldnt hit the ocean from 2 feet away. (he's had a combination of Greening (0 goals), Conacher (2 goals), and Michalek (3 goals) yet somehow Spezza has 9 goals and 18pts in 20 games.)

5 active players in the NHL are PPG for their careers:
Ovechkin, Crosby Stamkos, Thornton and Spezza

There are 57 players in NHL history with a PPG average for their careers, of which Spezza is one.

Sens fans are a whiny under appreciating, unforgiving lot who would rather have a 40pt serious 2 way player - than a happy 80+ point player who is average defensively.
Mainly i imagine since few of them are actually paying for season tickets.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 02:28 PM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

Quote:
They're fairweather entitled fans is all. Don't worry real Ottawa fans recognize his value and he isn't going anywhere.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 02:41 PM
Benjamin
Differently Financed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
They're fairweather entitled fans is all. Don't worry real Ottawa fans recognize his value and he isn't going anywhere.
says the blind Spezza fanboy

Benjamin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 02:55 PM
Sensinitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesa Awesaka View Post
MM
Conacher
Greening
Zibby
Puempel
Hoffman
DaCosta
Prince
Stone
Lazar
How are Zibanejad, Puempel, Prince, Stone and Lazar excess forwards? I don't see how that's possible when all but one of them aren't on the team and all but one of them are under 21.

Sensinitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 03:21 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Spezza is no longer a #1 center. He's been brutal 5 on 5 this season. Slow, bad defensively, questionable effort and a lot of questionable offensive choices.
Really? Spezza is not a #1 centre? Ok then.

Sens Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 03:22 PM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

Quote:
Keep holding your breathe on Spezza being traded lol

Kevin8se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 03:26 PM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

Now the Spezza debate is spilling over into all of the other boards on HF.

YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 03:28 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Spezza can be frustrating. He also is a superb talent. Superb shooter. Excellent Face-off guy. Good clutch player. Good playoff player. His greatest fault is that he is not Joe Sakic or Steve Yzerman. How can a player that is consistently great... not just good, but great every season... be so maligned by so many? Sure he has his faults and wekanesses and he has had some injuries but really? Really? Saying he isn't a #1 centre? He is one of the top Faceoff guys in the NHL and EVERY SHIFT he takes is vs the other teams best line or best checking line. He hasn't had very many easy shifts since his second season. He finishes 4th in NHL scoring last full season, is in the top 30 scorers all of this season, even though he is obviously not meshing with any linemates, hasn't played his best and has scrubs or young players on his line. Yet he still scores.

I don't understand the hate for Spezza. It is mindboggling. It is moronic. Yet it is very real. Hope it does not disuade Spezza from resigning in Ottawa.

Sens Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 03:36 PM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

Quote:
Yeah I'm only going to do this once because this stuff has gone on too long.

1) I don't make knee-jerk reactions to the team, or blame a team game's inadequacies on one player, especially when that player is nearly a point per game, is the only player in the NHL to be the 1st star on 3 separate occasions already this year, and has come out taking responsibility for his play (without blaming anyone else).

2) I recognize that players are not perfect, and I don't expect perfection from the players on my favourite team. Spezza is far from perfect, he makes bad plays, he is a goofy guy, but he has been on this team for a decade and is one of 6 career point per game players in the NHL right now. He's a perennial 30+ goal scorer (or on pace for) and he's one of the best faceoff guys in the league. On top of which he's been constantly improving his play with and away from the puck. The good from him far outweighs the bad.

3) I've not jumped on the "blame everything on Spezza" agenda that you folks have been pushing. Why? I support the team and the players...especially the ones that have shown loyalty to the team and stuck through thick and thin to be there. Spezza could be better but the whole team has played poorly at times this season. No exceptions.

Spezza is a top flight player in this league, and while you guys can continue to be entitled, fairweather and obtuse I'm going to look at what is actually wrong with the team as opposed to finding a single scapegoat and try to trade our best player and captain every time we lose a game because he isn't single-handedly carrying the team to an 82 - 0 record.

...oh, and yes, Spezza is my favourite player. It's hardly blind though. He's earned that distinction throughout the years. He's not my favourite player because he's infallible -- he's my favourite player because he's been amazing for Ottawa despite his deficiencies and has evolved and done everything this organization has ever asked of him.

Now carry on with the Spezza hatefest. I'll go back to supporting the captain and hoping that the GM and coach actually find a constructive way of turning around the mess this team is in.

Old
11-20-2013, 03:43 PM
VikingKarlsson
Chomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
Edler
Jensen
2nd

For

Spezza
done. where does Bryan Murray sign?

VikingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 03:52 PM
Wondercarrot
Stone, Mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingKarlsson View Post
done. where does Bryan Murray sign?
but who will you trash once he's gone?
and just out of curiosity do you plan on playing 5 LS defenceman as if its a video game? or just hoping for the best?

if you're going to trade our captain could you at least do it for a position we need to fill?
RS defence, and or top line winger (to play with the center you just traded away)

Old
11-20-2013, 03:55 PM
VikingKarlsson
Chomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Yeah I'm only going to do this once because this stuff has gone on too long.

1) I don't make knee-jerk reactions to the team, or blame a team game's inadequacies on one player, especially when that player is nearly a point per game, is the only player in the NHL to be the 1st star on 3 separate occasions already this year, and has come out taking responsibility for his play (without blaming anyone else).

2) I recognize that players are not perfect, and I don't expect perfection from the players on my favourite team. Spezza is far from perfect, he makes bad plays, he is a goofy guy, but he has been on this team for a decade and is one of 6 career point per game players in the NHL right now. He's a perennial 30+ goal scorer (or on pace for) and he's one of the best faceoff guys in the league. On top of which he's been constantly improving his play with and away from the puck. The good from him far outweighs the bad.

3) I've not jumped on the "blame everything on Spezza" agenda that you folks have been pushing. Why? I support the team and the players...especially the ones that have shown loyalty to the team and stuck through thick and thin to be there. Spezza could be better but the whole team has played poorly at times this season. No exceptions.

Spezza is a top flight player in this league, and while you guys can continue to be entitled, fairweather and obtuse I'm going to look at what is actually wrong with the team as opposed to finding a single scapegoat and try to trade our best player and captain every time we lose a game because he isn't single-handedly carrying the team to an 82 - 0 record.

...oh, and yes, Spezza is my favourite player. It's hardly blind though. He's earned that distinction throughout the years. He's not my favourite player because he's infallible -- he's my favourite player because he's been amazing for Ottawa despite his deficiencies and has evolved and done everything this organization has ever asked of him.

Now carry on with the Spezza hatefest. I'll go back to supporting the captain and hoping that the GM and coach actually find a constructive way of turning around the mess this team is in.
How can you support one of the worst captains ever. He's a lazy dog f-rrr and I wouldn't want to be his linemate since he doesn't do anything except give the puck blindly to the other team. As his linemate I wouldn't go in the corner to get hit knowing that "goofy" would be waiting on the sideboard for a pass so he can swing it back to the open area back in the Sens end. He does it over and over. You would think after 10 years of hockey you would know better. The guy isn't that hockey smart I guess. The +/- is the best part. You say he puts up points but he gives up more. That's great right... coming from your captain. He gets 1 point for every 2 goals scored against them when he is on the ice. So the team won't win to many games with him on the ice.

And I love how people wanted a "scoring" winger for Spezza. They traded for Ryan... Spezza sucks... so Ryan wasn't playing well. They put him with Turris and that line has been the best line on the team ever since. So know people want another "scoring" winger to play with Spezza. After a while you got to start asking yourself... maybe Spezza has been the problem all along.

My 2 cents. Don't worry. I won't be reading your reply. Flame away.

VikingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 04:01 PM
OttawaSenators11
#25 FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the proposed deal, but you're also going to have to be the one to convince Spezza to waive his NTC.
So would you do the deal? Yes or no?

OttawaSenators11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

Not that +/- means anything nor is anything in your post beyond the musings of a grade schooler or at least it seems that way, but Spezza is a career +74...which doesn't take into account power play goals. I guess that's just another thing you're wrong about.

Old
11-20-2013, 04:05 PM
alpine4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDangles View Post
Niskanen for Greening?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontenacSens View Post
I would do that. Anyone else agree?
so would I

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 04:06 PM
Wondercarrot
Stone, Mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingKarlsson View Post
How can you support one of the worst captains ever. He's a lazy dog f-rrr and I wouldn't want to be his linemate since he doesn't do anything except give the puck blindly to the other team. As his linemate I wouldn't go in the corner to get hit knowing that "goofy" would be waiting on the sideboard for a pass so he can swing it back to the open area back in the Sens end. He does it over and over. You would think after 10 years of hockey you would know better. The guy isn't that hockey smart I guess. The +/- is the best part. You say he puts up points but he gives up more. That's great right... coming from your captain. He gets 1 point for every 2 goals scored against them when he is on the ice. So the team won't win to many games with him on the ice.

And I love how people wanted a "scoring" winger for Spezza. They traded for Ryan... Spezza sucks... so Ryan wasn't playing well. They put him with Turris and that line has been the best line on the team ever since. So know people want another "scoring" winger to play with Spezza. After a while you got to start asking yourself... maybe Spezza has been the problem all along.

My 2 cents. Don't worry. I won't be reading your reply. Flame away.
yes, he's been the problem all along with his +80 over his career. His 4th in NHL scoring 2 years ago.
we certainly exhausted the possibility of him playing with Ryan for the 3 games he played with him. (while returning from injury)
Conacher, Greening, Neil, and Michalek have been his wingers. total goals between them is what 6? and about 20pts? hey wait spezza has more goals and as many points as the rest combined.

its probably spezza though. lol. since those guys have been so productive away from spezza as well. awesome post. thx

Old
11-20-2013, 04:10 PM

Zibenajad and Cowen for Edler/Bieksa

I would easily take Edler but I thought I'd give you the option.

I'd also do the Edler for Spezza trade.

604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 04:21 PM
CaptainCally

MDZ+2nd+ something small for Zibanejad and Gryba?

CaptainCally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 04:29 PM
BigBush*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
yes, he's been the problem all along with his +80 over his career. His 4th in NHL scoring 2 years ago.
we certainly exhausted the possibility of him playing with Ryan for the 3 games he played with him. (while returning from injury)
Conacher, Greening, Neil, and Michalek have been his wingers. total goals between them is what 6? and about 20pts? hey wait spezza has more goals and as many points as the rest combined.

its probably spezza though. lol. since those guys have been so productive away from spezza as well. awesome post. thx
Oh come on man despite Spezza's historically amazing stats he is not a dominant hockey player RIGHT NOW. There is a reason why he has continually been over looked by team Canada, he can put up points but he's not the #1 center you win championships with unfortunately.

BigBush* is offline   Reply With Quote