HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Does Mike Richards make Team Canada?

View Poll Results: Does Mike Richards make team Canada?
Yes 65 53.28%
No 57 46.72%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-19-2013, 11:52 PM
jgoud*

vCash: 500
Does Mike Richards make Team Canada?

He's definitely on the bubble. That 4th line is up for grabs between Richards, Bergeron, Benn, Lucic and Ladd

jgoud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 11:56 PM
KarlssonnSchultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoud View Post
He's definitely on the bubble. That 4th line is up for grabs between Richards, Bergeron, Benn, Lucic and Ladd
Would probably take Bergeron and Benn before him but Lucic and Ladd after him. Based on basically personal opinion from watching him that he will play a 200 foot game when it matters and can be valuable in any role; I would like him there.

No clue if he makes it though.

KarlssonnSchultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 12:02 AM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

I think so.

Having a good year,.proven winner... great option for 4th line

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 12:03 AM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

He definitely should. The guy is a born winner that can perform in intense pressure-packed situations. His compete level is just too strong to leave off.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 12:08 AM
Insulin

At the very least he should make it as a reserve. Really hope he makes it on that fourth line.

Insulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 12:12 AM
Alivesi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlssonnSchultz View Post
Would probably take Bergeron and Benn before him but Lucic and Ladd after him. Based on basically personal opinion from watching him that he will play a 200 foot game when it matters and can be valuable in any role; I would like him there.

No clue if he makes it though.
I agree with this.

Alivesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 12:14 AM
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty

No, there are better options.

Gritzky98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 12:25 AM
TimbeS

He should.

TimbeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 02:11 AM
ponder

I'd like to see him make it. I'd put Bergeron and Mike Richards both on the 4th line, not sure who to put with them, but those two would be an incredible shutdown tandem.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 02:17 AM
Ewan McGregor

4th line easy

Ewan McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 03:23 AM
Falcons93

Voted yes, but that's more of me hoping he'll make it than thinking he'll make it.

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 03:29 AM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

He should. He can play in every situation.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 08:47 AM
tony d
Ours for next 7 yrs.

Yeah, more than likely as a defensive extra though.

11-20-2013, 09:06 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Yes. He can fit in literally anywhere in the forward group and provide any role.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 10:03 AM
Fred Taylor
The Cyclone

I suppose so. I wouldn't be at all surprised or disappointed if he didn't make it though.

Fred Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 10:29 AM
eklunds source

I've seen a few people say yes because he's a "winner". Can someone explain that to me? Do pucks fly past goalies when he's around because he has intangible winning skills? Does he prevent scoring chances against from the bench because he's a 'proven winner'?

If Mike Richards had an identical twin who was equally skilled in all aspects of hockey but didn't have the whatever it is that makes a player a "winner".. Would the original Richards be more valuable? If his team DOESN'T win, does that create some sort of hole in space-time?

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 10:40 AM
KarlssonnSchultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
I've seen a few people say yes because he's a "winner". Can someone explain that to me? Do pucks fly past goalies when he's around because he has intangible winning skills? Does he prevent scoring chances against from the bench because he's a 'proven winner'?

If Mike Richards had an identical twin who was equally skilled in all aspects of hockey but didn't have the whatever it is that makes a player a "winner".. Would the original Richards be more valuable? If his team DOESN'T win, does that create some sort of hole in space-time?
I think that "he's a winner" is basically the nostalgiac way of saying "he'll do whatever it takes to win". So the answer to your question is yes. This Richards would be better than Richards .50.

KarlssonnSchultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 11:31 AM
the edler
Inimitable

Quote:

I can't phantom how the Flyers could lose to Chicago in 2010 with both Richards and Pronger on the same team, two "proven winners" against only one Toews. It does not compute.

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 11:32 AM
nki

Quote:

He has a great hockey IQ, is average to better in every facet of the game, will play with the energy of a grinder but with much more skill and vision, is loved by his teammates everywhere, excels under pressure (inb4 number-crunchers pretending it doesn't exist), has won at every level while being an impact player for those teams, is vocal and leads both by example and by motivating his teammates, understands the "nature" of the game and how a big hit, a fight, a huge block can impact the flow of the game, will stick up for his teammates, will agitate the opposition, constantly talks to linemates on the bench, is capable of influencing the group dynamic by setting the right example and being a natural leader people look up to and follow. I'm sorry if your advanced stats ears bleed reading that.

The reality is players like Mike Richards are invaluable and their value will never be accurately represented by numbers no matter how advanced they are. Mike Richards instantly legitimized the Kings and was probably the biggest reason why the Kings advanced against Vancouver and started to think of themselves as Cup contenders, it was precisely the reason why Dean Lombardi got him.

A lot of numbers guys have an ideological crusade against the Richards types because they refuse to believe there is something that can't be shown with math and statistics. I'm sceptical of people who say you should always believe "hockey professionals" but undoubtedly in this case, the "hockey people's" opinion on Richards is the truth, you see it by watching the game, and even more so I imagine by being ice-level and privy to locker room and bench dynamics. That's what a lot of the stats community refuses to believe and instead they shout "Your eyes are deceiving you, here let me show you these numbers that say this and that..." Unfortunately they are wrong, but the kind of fanatical devotion is still useful for the progress of analytics through numbers, nonetheless it's always going to be a tool in the belt and never the one and only factor in the decision-making process precisely because of players like Mike Richards.

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 12:06 PM
Ewan McGregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the edler View Post
I can't phantom how the Flyers could lose to Chicago in 2010 with both Richards and Pronger on the same team, two "proven winners" against only one Toews. It does not compute.
Tavares isn't Mr. Intangibles for nothing

Ewan McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 12:16 PM
duffy9748

Hard to leave him off but you could make that case for many Canadian forwards.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 12:22 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

He should but it's a close call.

He's having a good year which will really help.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 12:33 PM
TimbeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nki View Post
He has a great hockey IQ, is average to better in every facet of the game, will play with the energy of a grinder but with much more skill and vision, is loved by his teammates everywhere, excels under pressure (inb4 number-crunchers pretending it doesn't exist), has won at every level while being an impact player for those teams, is vocal and leads both by example and by motivating his teammates, understands the "nature" of the game and how a big hit, a fight, a huge block can impact the flow of the game, will stick up for his teammates, will agitate the opposition, constantly talks to linemates on the bench, is capable of influencing the group dynamic by setting the right example and being a natural leader people look up to and follow. I'm sorry if your advanced stats ears bleed reading that.

The reality is players like Mike Richards are invaluable and their value will never be accurately represented by numbers no matter how advanced they are. Mike Richards instantly legitimized the Kings and was probably the biggest reason why the Kings advanced against Vancouver and started to think of themselves as Cup contenders, it was precisely the reason why Dean Lombardi got him.

A lot of numbers guys have an ideological crusade against the Richards types because they refuse to believe there is something that can't be shown with math and statistics. I'm sceptical of people who say you should always believe "hockey professionals" but undoubtedly in this case, the "hockey people's" opinion on Richards is the truth, you see it by watching the game, and even more so I imagine by being ice-level and privy to locker room and bench dynamics. That's what a lot of the stats community refuses to believe and instead they shout "Your eyes are deceiving you, here let me show you these numbers that say this and that..." Unfortunately they are wrong, but the kind of fanatical devotion is still useful for the progress of analytics through numbers, nonetheless it's always going to be a tool in the belt and never the one and only factor in the decision-making process precisely because of players like Mike Richards.
Great post. Richards truly is a special player

TimbeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 12:53 PM
TOGuy14

Personally I would love to see a 4th line of Richards Bergeron and Toews. Elite defensive forwards who are all still well above average offensively

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 01:01 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
As I said in another thread, he is 18th in Canadian scoring. There are certainly players (ahem, Spezza) who his overall game far surpasses. So the chances of making the Canadian team are pretty damn high.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote