HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Growing The Fan Experience at the Prudential Center: Trophy Lounge, Fan Sections

Old
11-21-2013, 03:21 PM
Cowbell232

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnyrocket View Post
I saw someone post this on the main board, although its inside the players' locker room, something like this would be cool, just more modern and HOF-like. Replica Stanley Cups with each roster, replica trophies, some game sticks, a replica locker room stall, you know, things people could take pictures with. Some game pucks, equipment and jerseys, etc. Photos and perhaps art installations with key moments, like the Arnott goal being projected onto a wall or the floor. Maybe something interactive, like having NHL14 set up with a custom "moments" version where you can play the final seconds of Game 7 and try to win the cup. Some lounge chairs and tables for people to congregate and take in the history.

Get a title sponsor like Verizon, call it the Verizon Champions Lounge and call it a day. Thats how I would do it if I had any say in the org. Sadly, I don't.

I feel like we have done all this stuff thats pretty cool as a franchise, only to see it get swept under the carpet as if its not that important.

What makes you so sure that no one has tried anything like this in the organization?

Also, what makes you think that a sponsor is so easy to find for this? And you do realize how much the construction would cost, the props would cost, etc. and that sponsor better have some deep pockets.

I love when people just assume that the Devils haven't tried anything like this before...

11-21-2013, 03:27 PM
Wingman77

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 03:30 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

The Devils have Season Ticket Headquarters complete with a red carpet on the concourse. Their priorities are very clearly visible when you walk around the arena. It's buy, buy, buy. Buy cigars, buy season tickets, buy holiday plans, buy merchandise, buy food.

I don't see how hard it would be to just put down a replica of a cup, buy a plaque that reads "in dedication of cup wins x, y, z" and go from there. I think we would all be pleased with that. Some of our ideas do require them to make a ton of adjustments but others really don't require much.

Ultimately, as a fan, the experience is primarily what we watch on the ice and what we hear around us. That's 99% of the "Fan Experience." And that's failing pretty hard right now.

ThePSEGPowerPoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 03:33 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePSEGPowerPoster View Post
The Devils have Season Ticket Headquarters complete with a red carpet on the concourse. Their priorities are very clearly visible when you walk around the arena. It's buy, buy, buy. Buy cigars, buy season tickets, buy holiday plans, buy merchandise, buy food.

I don't see how hard it would be to just put down a replica of a cup, buy a plaque that reads "in dedication of cup wins x, y, z" and go from there. I think we would all be pleased with that. Some of our ideas do require them to make a ton of adjustments but others really don't require much.

Ultimately, as a fan, the experience is primarily what we watch on the ice and what we hear around us. That's 99% of the "Fan Experience." And that's failing pretty hard right now.
A business wants you to buy things? No way!

Cowbell232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 03:34 PM
apice3*

vCash:
Here's an idea, how about you decrease the tiered pricing from 500 tiers to a reasonable 10 or so? How about bringing back the goal song that energized the building? Bring back the fun videos that kept emotions light during commercials? How about bringing back Yanni? How about stop ****ing calling me every other day trying to sell me a ticket plan that I've stated several times I'm not interested in?

The new owners are horrible, the orders they've given the marketing team are pathetic, and the arena has been a complete dud this season. I fully expect sub-10000 attendance next year if this nonsense continues.

Old
11-21-2013, 03:37 PM
Wingman77

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Here's an idea, how about you decrease the tiered pricing from 500 tiers to a reasonable 10 or so? How about bringing back the goal song that energized the building? Bring back the fun videos that kept emotions light during commercials? How about bringing back Yanni? How about stop ****ing calling me every other day trying to sell me a ticket plan that I've stated several times I'm not interested in?

The new owners are horrible, the orders they've given the marketing team are pathetic, and the arena has been a complete dud this season. I fully expect sub-10000 attendance next year if this nonsense continues.
Thanks for reminding me about the intro - I saw the intro for the first time a week or two ago and it rivals on being worse than the rise up garbage a few years ago

It's painful to watch and especially listen to that uninspired cliche 'nobody comes into our house and pushes us around!' yay team rah rah

Old
11-21-2013, 03:43 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
A business wants you to buy things? No way!
Is it a business or is it a family? Because the Devils keep telling us it's not a business and it's a family. If your message is "this is a family," you prioritize the fans and your profits are secondary. There are plenty of successful business models that prioritize their customers and still manage to make quite a bit of money because of customer satisfaction. There are also quite of few sports franchises who have utilized this model (Steinbrenner's Yankees, The Packers, The Bears, the Brooklyn Nets) and have done so successfully. The Nets lost over 14 million dollars last year, I believe, but they prioritized their fans in doing so. Their staff is trained by Disney, their food is top notch (they went above and beyond to really get the "taste of Brooklyn," and so is their on the Court product). People have no problem spending money at games because the experience is worth it. You go to a Nets game and people aren't harassing you to buy, buy, buy. The product sells itself.

The Devils insist that their moving towards being the next "great" sports franchise. Those franchises don't need to obnoxiously sell their fans things. The product sells itself.

If the Devils prioritized their fans, prioritized the teams history, prioritized the fan experience - they would lose money initially. Of course. Look at Steinbrenner's Yankees losing money nearly every year BEFORE payroll and the Brooklyn Nets, being built on the same model. But the fanbase will skyrocket. Success will follow. And so forth. Before Steinbrenner's idiot kids took over and started penny pinching, the Yankees were the premier franchise in American sports. Enough to build a palace in the Bronx.

The Devils want you to buy buy buy and haven't shown a willingness to follow the models they claim they're following. Will they lose money following the Yankees model? Yes. But will they gain fan support? Will the experience be really about the fans? Yes.

Old
11-21-2013, 03:46 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
It's an ass backwards philosophy. They don't want to cater to casual fans. They want to cater to people who have already said they can't afford/don't want season tickets. It's hysterical.

Instead of doing it the right way: getting casual fans in the building and showing them that the Rock IS the place to be, making the product sell itself - they take the easy way out and harass you. It's nonsensical.

Again - the Nets didn't have to sell me on Season Tickets. They build a shiny new arena, had a brilliant ad campaign, signed a bunch of awesome players, had a bunch of free events, had volunteer and charity events, had a ton of commericals: this is a franchise with not even 10% of our history! Without fans! They just went into a city blind! A city full of Knicks fans.

I'm fully convinced if the Devils went into Brooklyn with the same ownership and management team we would have the same result we are seeing now. Poor attendance and frustrating management. Hell we would probably be an immediate candidate for relocation because they don't make you want to buy the product - they sell you the product.

Old
11-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Wingman77

PSEG- the Yankees are in complete disary themselves right now and have been since George's health started going downhill about 7-8 years ago

I see some similarities between the Yankees and Devils right now in terms of how management is far out of touch with its fans

The Yankees were upset with how tickets were being sold for on sites like Stubhub for far below face value because it is an unrestricted market in terms of price floors, so they opted out of their agreement with Stubhub and created their own ticket exchange which set forth a fair number of problems for its STH in terms of ticket transfers and sales on Stubhub - we're seeing similar issues with the Devils treatment of STH as brokers

The game atmosphere has similarly to the Devils, taken somewhat of a hit because of stricter and sillier bans of chanting staple chants such as 'box seats suck' by the bleacher crowd, yelling loud to get a chant going will get your balls busted by having a warning written on your ticket that you will be kicked out if you are caught doing such a crime again and the same goes for moving up a single row if it is empty and being caught

It was scary to hear a few weeks ago that the Devils new management want to strive to be like the Yankees because right now, well they're doing a hell of a job alienating the fans like the Yankees have

Old
11-21-2013, 04:14 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Yes Wingman I agree. I did a poor job distinguishing between the eras because, for me, it was crystal clear when George was no longer in charge. So much changed. They priced real fans out of the lower seats. Sound familiar? And then complained about Stubhub! Hmm...They harass me with calls and e-mails...hmm.

They probably let Cano walk to save some money too.

The Devils must be striving for the current Yankee model.

The Nets said all of the same things the Devils are saying "we will model ourselves as the New York Yankees and become one of the premier franchises in sports." Everyone says that. The Nets actually executed.

For a team with no championships to go to NYC and sell out every game, build a fan base on less success than the Devils is mind-boggling to me. I remember getting on the train and seeing "#HELLOBROOKLYN in all black" - every ad on the damn train. Heck way back to the big billboard in front of MSG "Blueprint for Greatness." That's the Yankees way to do it. Spend, spend, spend and lose money initially only to be rewarded for it later.

Not "Hey apice, we know you don't want to buy our subpar product but let's try again! Do you want to become a full season ticket holder? We'll give you some free tickets in the lower bowl to endure our terrible fan experience! No? Not convincing? We will let you skate on the ice after a game? No, not convincing? Well...guess we'll try you back later!"

I got one call from a Nets rep when I personally expressed interest. Because I was interested in what they were selling because I had so much fun at a game. And it was "take down my number and let me know once you have decided you want to jump aboard."

That was it. That's a franchise that is confident in their product and knows it sells itself. That's how you have a waiting list for season tickets one year into a new arena.

Old
11-21-2013, 04:28 PM
NJDevils7

Don't know if this is the right thread to put this...but does anyone have a good recording of the new goal song, I'm trying to use it in NHL 14

NJDevils7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 04:37 PM
Devils Dominion
Ask Dano

Quote:
Yes Wingman I agree. I did a poor job distinguishing between the eras because, for me, it was crystal clear when George was no longer in charge. So much changed. They priced real fans out of the lower seats. Sound familiar? And then complained about Stubhub! Hmm...They harass me with calls and e-mails...hmm.

They probably let Cano walk to save some money too.

The Devils must be striving for the current Yankee model.

The Nets said all of the same things the Devils are saying "we will model ourselves as the New York Yankees and become one of the premier franchises in sports." Everyone says that. The Nets actually executed.

For a team with no championships to go to NYC and sell out every game, build a fan base on less success than the Devils is mind-boggling to me. I remember getting on the train and seeing "#HELLOBROOKLYN in all black" - every ad on the damn train. Heck way back to the big billboard in front of MSG "Blueprint for Greatness." That's the Yankees way to do it. Spend, spend, spend and lose money initially only to be rewarded for it later.

Not "Hey apice, we know you don't want to buy our subpar product but let's try again! Do you want to become a full season ticket holder? We'll give you some free tickets in the lower bowl to endure our terrible fan experience! No? Not convincing? We will let you skate on the ice after a game? No, not convincing? Well...guess we'll try you back later!"

I got one call from a Nets rep when I personally expressed interest. Because I was interested in what they were selling because I had so much fun at a game. And it was "take down my number and let me know once you have decided you want to jump aboard."

That was it. That's a franchise that is confident in their product and knows it sells itself. That's how you have a waiting list for season tickets one year into a new arena.
The nets don't sellout every game. Not even close last season.

They are a joke franchise that is taking advantage of the newness of brooklyn and converting disgruntled Knicks fans.
NBA also crosses every demographic.
Apple's and oranges.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 04:49 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

98% attendance and a waiting list for seasons is a joke? What do we call the Devils?

The Knicks made the playoffs last year and made it farther than the Nets.

The Devils dream of waking up as successful as the Brooklyn Nrts.

Old
11-21-2013, 04:54 PM
Devils Dominion
Ask Dano

Quote:
98% attendance and a waiting list for seasons is a joke? What do we call the Devils?

The Nets are a joke in a gimmick league that heavily inflates numbers this season.

You've lost me now by comparing leagues and the lowly/joke Nets to the New Jersey Devils.
Lmao, Nets. LOL

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 04:55 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

If the Nets are a joke, what are the Devils? A team that can't sell out a rival game on a weekend.

Give me the word.

You also have positively no evidence that the Nets inflate attendance numbers. As someone who has been to quite a few games I can guarantee you that they don't.

Look at the value of nets tickets on secondary markets. You think the nets have an 11 dollar ticket line? A line that doesn't even work to fill the arena .

Old
11-21-2013, 04:56 PM
NJ CUP*

they have a "championship plaza" but NOTHING that indicates anything about a championship.

they have a giant statue of a hockey player and thats it? why not take that down and make a "monument park" type area? put up statues of everyone that is retired holding the cup or putting up 3 cup statues there? put up lemaire burns robinson and lou when he retires.

another thing the building needs is a better exit/entrance system. they have 2 towers on opposite ends which jam up BIG TIME because they only have 4 doors open at any given time.

the single escalator upstairs is a **** show also! you have 1 escalator to bring thousands of people upstairs and downstairs?

NJ CUP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 05:02 PM
indfin

Quote:

Go on Ticketmaster. The Nets have a game this Sunday ... tickets are available in virtually every section in the building. Heck, there are many tickets available for the game against the Knicks in early December.

This is not meant as a defense of anything the Devils are or aren't doing. However, the Nets aren't doing quite as well as you suggest, and (more importantly) you can't compare the NBA in NYC (yes, Brooklyn is NYC) with the NHL in Newark ... plus Brooklyn is a very parochial borough and people want to support "their home team". Ironically, there is tremendous pride among many Newark residents, but most don't care for hockey and can't afford to go to games, even if they did

indfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 05:04 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

If you wait until the day before you'll see less than 50 seats on Stubhub and a sold out ticketmaster.

But I do agree the comparison is tough to make directly. I was mainly noting the difference in the models.

Also another problem I have with the devils is alienating everyone outside of NJ. Are we in a position to tout Jersey and disregard the city?

Old
11-21-2013, 05:08 PM
NJ CUP*

one thing i'd love for this team to do

promote the team!

get down on the JERSEY boardwalk during the summer and push the team. they write off south jersey to the flyers fans. way too easily and they write off the north to the rangers.

put up billboards going in and out of jersey at the crossings welcome to jersey where champions play. i dont know something silly and cheesy like that. put up signs crossing over the bridge at seaside that says jersey boardwalk jerseys team. instead i think i saw an ad get your jersey on somewhere on 46 one time. how freaking lame is that!

go after the "big boys" in our own freaking state! we have had TONS more success then the flyers rangers or islanders and no one outside the fan base would even notice it. so sad

one more thing is it too much to ask for the devils to make some videos of their players like the rangers do with "beginnings"? i know the chances of getting it up on msg are slim to none but put them on the website. let me know how henrique got to where he is.

would it also be too much to ask for the team to put out a "BEST OF" dvd? or a devils history dvd? back during the 25th year they put out a great team book with history pictures and quotes from previous players and coaches. o wait that wasn't the devils that was the star ledger!

NJ CUP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Brick City
Ignore me!

Quote:
What makes you so sure that no one has tried anything like this in the organization?

Also, what makes you think that a sponsor is so easy to find for this? And you do realize how much the construction would cost, the props would cost, etc. and that sponsor better have some deep pockets.

I love when people just assume that the Devils haven't tried anything like this before...
Not exactly the boldest assumption on Johnyrocket's part given the organization has visibly done nothing to create any sort of 'hall of fame' or museum type space since moving to the new arena. I do not buy for a second that something simple - a few display cases and some plaques - could not have been inexpensively set up by now.

Vanderbeek had no trouble funding the commissions for the statute in Championship Plaza and the wide assortment of artwork throughout the arena. There are two display cases honoring rock and roll in New Jersey that appeared a season or so ago (an empty one was already there but they definitely built another). So yeah, I call complete bs on the claim that the team has made any meaningful attempt to create such a space or lacks the ability to do so.

Quote:
I do agree with Cowbell here - there is nothing wrong with this. I have been wondering why they did away with the auctions which were popular and seemed to be a clear moneymaker. However, the team completed embarrassed itself almost to Detroit's level (their former Amway sponsorship) but allowing the timeshare people into the arena.

Quote:

Yeah, getting something started would be no more difficult or expensive than it was to set up the replica bench with the various coaches, the historic jerseys in the display cases or the history of rock and roll in New Jersey display.

Quote:

I would actually continue increasing the tiers - it decreases the arbitrary and sometimes unfair disparity between rows and sections. We all saw the disaster that was the upper levels when they made it one pricing tier for a few seasons. The market completely rejected the sides being the same price as the centers.

I believe the Flyers have different prices for every row - completely efficient pricing and fine by me. Better to have a $1 difference between two rows than a $5 difference. It would also eliminate fans feeling they are getting a bum deal by being in the last row of a more expensive tier when the people right behind them are paying a lot less. Anecdotally, the row right in front of me in the defend twice balconies jumped in price this season because the team reassigned it to the more expensive tier below us and it just happens to be completely devoid of STHs this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
Thanks for reminding me about the intro - I saw the intro for the first time a week or two ago and it rivals on being worse than the rise up garbage a few years ago

It's painful to watch and especially listen to that uninspired cliche 'nobody comes into our house and pushes us around!' yay team rah rah
The intro they do before the 3rd period is really good and should be the one played before the games IMO.

Last edited by Brick City: 11-21-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Brick City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 05:17 PM
Marv4Life
Worth billions...

Instead of the Nets a better comparison would be to teams were are facing on this road trip. Obviously all 3 are doing good right now but there has to be other things to get their seats filled even in the 1st quarter of the season.

Marv4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 05:21 PM
LikeChristmasMorning
The Pride of Newark

This is an easy answer for me.

Living around the corner from Barclay's, it's impossible to not notice the abysmal options for "food" at The Rock. The quality of this "food" is almost insulting considering the fact that almost every other aspect of the arena is world class. Vile and contemptible are just some of the words I can muster up to describe the trash they expect us to consume. The truly sad part is, all they have to do is drive 30 minutes away to find a solution to this problem.

New Jersey is full of excellent restaurants. Why not involve local businesses as a way to not only promote your brand, but give existing customers a superior experience?

A few example of what I would like to see at The Rock: Surf Taco, Jersey Mike's and/or White House Sub Shop, Hobby's, Hoffman's and/or Sundaes, Dino BBQ, 1 or more of the dozens - if not hundreds - of excellent pizza shops in NJ, 1 or more of the better-than-Philthy cheesesteak shops in NJ, etc etc etc.

This cannot be that difficult as when I attend events at Barclays my choices include, but are not limited to: L&B's (pizza), Junior's (cheesecake etc), Blue Marble (ice cream), Fatty Cue (BBQ), and Elbow Room (Mac 'n' Cheese). All of which are excellent and local.

Also, a craft beer location or two would be nice as even the mausoleum pulls that off.

LikeChristmasMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 05:33 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeChristmasMorning View Post

Living around the corner from Barclay's, it's impossible to not notice the abysmal options for "food" at The Rock. The quality of this "food" is almost insulting considering the fact that almost every other aspect of the arena is world class. Vile and contemptible are just some of the words I can muster up to describe the trash they expect us to consume. The truly sad part is, all they have to do is drive 30 minutes away to find a solution to this problem.

New Jersey is full of excellent restaurants. Why not involve local businesses as a way to not only promote your brand, but give existing customers a superior experience?

A few example of what I would like to see at The Rock: Surf Taco, Jersey Mike's and/or White House Sub Shop, Hobby's, Hoffman's and/or Sundaes, Dino BBQ, 1 or more of the dozens - if not hundreds - of excellent pizza shops in NJ, 1 or more of the better-than-Philthy cheesesteak shops in NJ, etc etc etc.

This cannot be that difficult as when I attend events at Barclays my choices include, but are not limited to: L&B's (pizza), Junior's (cheesecake etc), Blue Marble (ice cream), Fatty Cue (BBQ), and Elbow Room (Mac 'n' Cheese). All of which are excellent and local.

Also, a craft beer location or two would be nice as even the mausoleum pulls that off.
You said a lot more eloquently. I obviously 100% agree. Attendance aside, Barclays is a world class arena. I don't see how the Devils can't duplicate the amenities. The food is awful. "Taste of Newark" should be some damn good Portuguese food, Rodizio, barbecue. What we get is awful.

I do agree that hockey is pretty much an afterthought in Newark. I would like to see the Devils donate some hockey equipment to some Newark High Schools and try and sponsor some tournaments. Maybe push for roller hockey leagues like they have in California. Build fans that way. Toss some Devils logos on the equipment.

We have a ton of ambitious ideas to build the fan base but someone pointed out something that is indisputable: hockey just isn't popular around these parts. Make it popular.

Old
11-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Mory Schneideur*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeChristmasMorning View Post

You bring up a good point. Better food options at the Rock!

It was awesome when we had Hobby's. We should invite the little guys and somehow partner with them for some good food based on popular local foods.

Why can't we have something like White Mannas or Hot Grill or even a place that serves Taylor ham bagels.

Mory Schneideur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 06:13 PM
Mory Schneideur*

Quote:

If you have proof then show us, obviously it doesn't look like anyone has tried, ever. What sponsor wouldn't jump at the chance to being prominently all over a Champions Lounge? It's better than hey look it's the PNC bank tower! Wtf is that even supposed to be? If they could get a sponsor for a glorified exit point, then they can get a sponsor for a project like this.

Mory Schneideur* is offline   Reply With Quote