HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bournival and his future in Montreal.

Old
11-20-2013, 05:19 AM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Bournival and his future in Montreal.

So I think its apparent that we have ourselves a player in Bournival. But how good can he get? What role will je fill?

I am starting to really believe that he can be a second line winger. He has capable puck skills, solid instincts, and good enough strength and size to be a secondary scorer (while playing in a defensive role). But his speed is what could make him better than similar style players (it might net him 10 more points. Which is huge) . His top speed, agility and acceleration are all very nice. That kind of mobility not only helps him cover assigents and kill penalties, but it helps him get open more and create problems for defenders.

He is a centre though, and i don't think he can produce enough at C to be a #2. Hell likely not get a shot at wing in the coming years (behind Pac, Gally, Gally, and the influx of more offensive wing prospects). The great thing is that he can develop steadily behind Plek, Eller and Galch.

On the other hand, we still need to see a bit more to see if he is overachieving; but hes definitely an NHLer. I think his versatility and speed will end up serving us nicely wherever he is in the lineup.

What are your thoughts on his futire?

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 05:29 AM
BaseballCoach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StellerEller View Post
So I think its apparent that we have ourselves a player in Bournival. But how good can he get? What role will je fill?

I am starting to really believe that he can be a second line winger. He has capable puck skills, solid instincts, and good enough strength and size to be a secondary scorer (while playing in a defensive role). But his speed is what could make him better than similar style players (it might net him 10 more points. Which is huge) . His top speed, agility and acceleration are all very nice. That kind of mobility not only helps him cover assigents and kill penalties, but it helps him get open more and create problems for defenders.

He is a centre though, and i don't think he can produce enough at C to be a #2. Hell likely not get a shot at wing in the coming years (behind Pac, Gally, Gally, and the influx of more offensive wing prospects). The great thing is that he can develop steadily behind Plek, Eller and Galch.

On the other hand, we still need to see a bit more to see if he is overachieving; but hes definitely an NHLer. I think his versatility and speed will end up serving us nicely wherever he is in the lineup.

What are your thoughts on his future?
I think he is a middle-six Winger or Center already and will only get better. He will be as valuable as Benoit Brunet was, if not more, for many years. His top end might be as high as Thomas Plekanec.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 05:38 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:

There is a chance he's overachieving a bit but it's like 70/30 in favour of him not overachieving.

I really don't know how much he can improve but he seems to have the right work ethic and is still quite young. He's definitely more skilled than i thought.

He's pacing for 20+ which is pretty amazing considering none of us really thought he could do that even in his prime let alone at 20-21. Doesn't seem like he's a fluke. No D'agostini that's for sure.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 06:00 AM
HabsProspectsExpert
Artturi Lehkonen

Solid two-way third line center.

HabsProspectsExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 06:10 AM
jaffy27

He seems to be a really good third line winger, his skating is excellent and his hands are very good. He's in superb shape and he seems to have a bit of an edge to his game, and if there is ever an injury in top six, he'd be the perfect fill in, really nice find by Gauthier. (Hate to admit that)

jaffy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 06:11 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

My opinion of his is that he is a guy that could play multiple roles.

He gives a coach and GM flexibility in that he can be on an offensive or defensive line and can play C or wing. His value is based more on effort, tenacity and speed than pure skill, but if you play him with skilled players he can put up 45-50 points in a season.

A permanent role would be 2nd or 3rd line winger or #3 center.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 06:18 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post

He gives a coach and GM flexibility in that he can be on an offensive or defensive line and can play C or wing. His value is based more on effort, tenacity and speed than pure skill, but if you play him with skilled players he can put up 45-50 points in a season.

I think you're bang on here.....even if you are from Moncton!

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 06:23 AM
Lions999

In 2 years it should be Galchenyuk,Eller,Bournival

Lions999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 06:27 AM
Habster33
In Habs we trust!

When he's fully developed, more mature and stronger, I see him becoming a Pleky type of player!

Habster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 06:45 AM
sventington

vCash: 50
Yeah I see him being our new Plekanec as well. Hard worker, straight forward game, responsible, speedy. Hopefully he keeps it up!

sventington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 07:07 AM
Lionel Mandrake
Generic user

I slot him as the 3rd line C of the future. With the depth we have at that position it's obvious we'll be trading one of our centers at some point to fill a hole either on the wing or on D. Won't be anytime soon mind you, but in a couple years I can see Bournival anchoring a solid and versatile 3rd line.

Lionel Mandrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 07:43 AM
ClasslessGuy

He might be our faster player

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 07:55 AM
Habs100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions999 View Post
That's exactly what I would like to see next game given how well the Desharnais line played and that Briere look pretty good with pleks and gio.

Habs100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 07:56 AM
The EGG Line

vCash: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions999 View Post
Actually in two years, Galchenyuk should be at centre

The EGG Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 07:58 AM
Lionel Mandrake
Generic user

Quote:
Originally Posted by The EGG Line View Post
Actually in two years, Galchenyuk should be at centre
I think this is what he meant, as in 1-2-3 punch at center.

Lionel Mandrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 08:13 AM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post

I am on board with this assessment as well. The Benoit Brunet comparison seems a pretty good one though it looks like Bournival has better offensive ability and upside. Yet another really nice, where did he suddenly come from surprise from the prospect pool.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 08:13 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

He'll be the 2nd/3rd line two-way replacement for Gio.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 08:14 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

He's like Dupuis.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 09:15 AM
yoyo999

I think this year he has what it takes to put up 15g-15a-30pts. Not bad for a rookie.

I think what you see is it though. Could give you a 20 goal season or 2 along the way if timing is on his side, but I think he's a bottom six that can fill in on the top 6 for injury or shuffling lines type thing.

yoyo999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 09:25 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
I love this guy. How can you not love a player who will give you 100% every time he steps on the ice. We already have a couple guys who do that (Plekanec, Eller) but it never hurts a team to have more.

I bet that in his prime he'll be a 20G/20A third line center who plays time on the PP and PK.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 09:26 AM
TiCats

I think he'll be a better centre than Eller.

TiCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 09:31 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiCats View Post
I think he'll be a better centre than Eller.
That would be awesome....but not likely

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 09:33 AM
ArtPeur

I wasn't expecting much from Bournival but I must say that I'm impressed. Has he ever played Center since he's a pro though?

I think he'll be a "stellar" 3rd line player than can fill up on the two first line when there will be injuries.

Bournival - De La Rose - Andrighetto, that could be a nice 3rd line in a few years!

ArtPeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 09:35 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

He's a guy who will be able to play on any line, any position, and any situation. The Habs ultimate utility player. I love how well rounded his game is already.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 09:40 AM
Brainiac

vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
He'll be the 2nd/3rd line two-way replacement for Gio.
That. Gio is gone next year and Bournival is the replacement. Eventually better than old Gio, too. Which is good, because for all the flack Gio gets, you still need somebody to replace his contribution.

Brainiac is online now   Reply With Quote