HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[CGY/ANA] Tim Jackman to the Ducks for a 2014 6th round pick

Old
11-21-2013, 06:36 PM
Paper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
I don't understand Flames fans saying that he was blocking young player or now this will open up a spot for a young player. Is his 6 minutes a night on the 4th line now going to be taken by a younger player? Seems to me you'd want a young NHL ready player to be on a slightly higher line getting more minutes than that a night.
There's a couple reasons, not saying they are legitimate but it's the fans' thinking.

1st, Baertschi has been scratched multiple times. He probably would have been scratched regardless but in those games it was often Jackman drawing into the line up. So it wasn't an uncommon belief that Jackman being favoured over Baertschi, but again chances are Baertschi would have been scratched regardless of who ended up getting to play that night.

2nd, Backlund has been demoted to the fourth line multiple times. That meant playing with Jackman and McGrattan which many Flame fans see as plugs and punishing Backlund for having to play with them. Not to mention the ice-time reduction, but again that probably happens with Backlund regardless of whether Jackman was on the fourth line.

3rd, now with Jackman gone there was a roster spot available. Jones has been doing well in the AHL and being the only one-way contract it should have been obvious he was going to be the one called up but it's now a greater chance of seeing Reinhart, Ferlan, Knight or whoever. Yeah it might be in a fourth line role but that's fine for rookie call ups who project to be 3rd line guys anyways.

Personally though this was just a common sense trade from the Flames. Jackman was expendable, with Blair Jones making $650,000 in the AHL and playing well enough to play the 5 minutes Jackman should have been getting it makes sense to move Jackman and save half a million dollars and get a 6th round pick.

Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 06:39 PM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
2nd, Backlund has been demoted to the fourth line multiple times. That meant playing with Jackman and McGrattan which many Flame fans see as plugs and punishing Backlund for having to play with them. Not to mention the ice-time reduction, but again that probably happens with Backlund regardless of whether Jackman was on the fourth line.
Wow, I thought Backlund was your 1C prior to this season? At least I think I read that somewhere.

quentez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 06:40 PM
Goodlad

vCash: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
There's a couple reasons, not saying they are legitimate but it's the fans' thinking.

1st, Baertschi has been scratched multiple times. He probably would have been scratched regardless but in those games it was often Jackman drawing into the line up. So it wasn't an uncommon belief that Jackman being favoured over Baertschi, but again chances are Baertschi would have been scratched regardless of who ended up getting to play that night.

3rd, now with Jackman gone there was a roster spot available. Jones has been doing well in the AHL and being the only one-way contract it should have been obvious he was going to be the one called up but it's now a greater chance of seeing Reinhart, Ferlan, Knight or whoever. Yeah it might be in a fourth line role but that's fine for rookie call ups who project to be 3rd line guys anyways.

Personally though this was just a common sense trade from the Flames. Jackman was expendable, with Blair Jones making $650,000 in the AHL and playing well enough to play the 5 minutes Jackman should have been getting it makes sense to move Jackman and save half a million dollars and get a 6th round pick.
I agree with most of this, but Jackman only makes $612,500 per season, so Calgary is actually losing a small amount of cap space calling up Jones.

Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 06:42 PM
MK9

Good for him. He's a good guy and deserves a better shot at it all than wasting his last few years on a rebuilding team.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 06:49 PM
Mike Jones

Reminds me of that scene in Moneyball where the manager keeps playing someone at first base while the general manager wants him to play someone more suited to the position and overall team situation. The situation reaches a point where the GM has to do something so he trades the guy the manager kept playing.

Problem solved.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 06:53 PM
NEWFowler
hi

Definitely don't understand this one.. but I've learned not to question Murray. He knows what he's doing.

NEWFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Sparky93

Seems like a respect move outta Calgary. There isn't room for him and Grats so move him instead of sending him down. Someone may have even picked him up, cheap contract for toughness.

Sparky93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 07:02 PM
duxfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I wonder if we're sending someone down.
Gotta be Maroon, right? I don't know why they'd waste a roster spot on Jackman. No offense to the guy, I just don't see the need. I don't think any of us know why this happened.

duxfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 07:05 PM
duxfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Was there really any harm in rotating DSP/Beleskey/Maroon until Silf comes back in a few weeks? I also really dislike that 3rd line.
Palmieri would definitely be with Maroon and Bonino if those were the active forwards (in the previous quote).

Old
11-21-2013, 07:05 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxfan8 View Post
Gotta be Maroon, right? I don't know why they'd waste a roster spot on Jackman. No offense to the guy, I just don't see the need. I don't think any of us know why this happened.
I don't see why it would be Maroon. It didn't seem like Boudreau has any issue with playing him. My guess would be Etem and/or DSP are going down.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 07:09 PM
blankall

Good move by the Flames. Hopefully Jackman can find his game somewhere else

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 07:11 PM
duxfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Gotta assume Etem, DSP, or Marroon goes down to the AHL now.
If they are going to send a few down, I'm guessing Etem and Maroon. Then when DSP falls back to earth, whichever player is playing better can be called back up. Maroon would have to clear waivers though. I don't know if he would pass or not though. Signed to a one-way for this year and next, he might not be too attractive to many teams.

Quote:
I don't see why it would be Maroon. It didn't seem like Boudreau has any issue with playing him. My guess would be Etem and/or DSP are going down.
I am thinking Etem goes down too. I think DSP will stick for a little while though. He seems to be doing everything BB asks of him. I've been impressed. Maroon, on the other hand, has not been playing much. I think BB realizes that we only really have space for one true power forward, and that's been Penner. Maybe Maroon gets a shot at 2nd line with Perreault and Teemu, but I don't see him fitting in on the third line or the 4th with the addition and Beleskey coming back strong.

Old
11-21-2013, 07:14 PM
Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodlad View Post
I agree with most of this, but Jackman only makes $612,500 per season, so Calgary is actually losing a small amount of cap space calling up Jones.
They're no where close to the cap, at all.

It's real money where it makes sense. Not saying it was a pure salary transaction but it never hurts.

Before the trade:

Jackman $612,500 in the NHL
Jones $650,00 in the AHL

Now:

Jones $650,000 in the NHL
Replacement player $50,000 in the AHL

Pro-rated for a quarter of the season the Flames are going to be saving a couple hundred thousand, along with the 6th round pick, at the expense of a little depth. Assuming this was just a straight forward trade and not a precursor.

And if the Ducks end up moving down a player on a two-way contract, this trade might not cost them anything in actual salary either and only help their depth.

Old
11-21-2013, 07:14 PM
paine

Maroon would have to clear, right? If so it won't be him.

paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 07:16 PM
duxfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
Maroon would have to clear, right? If so it won't be him.
I don't think the Ducks lose sleep if they lose Maroon on waivers. You'd got to think a team would offer a late pick for Maroon if we were trying to deal him. Plus they have the leverage of a 1-way contract through next years. A lot of teams wouldn't want to gamble on that.

Old
11-21-2013, 07:16 PM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
We don't suck?

vCash: 50
Wow this is puzzling by Anaheim. The guy is just not an NHL caliber player

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 07:18 PM
justheducks

Send a message via AIM to justheducks
I don't really get this trade. I assume Murray wants a bit more physical type players and Maroon isn't cutting it.

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 07:18 PM
Kevin27nyi
HoSanity

vCash: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Wow this is puzzling by Anaheim. The guy is just not an NHL caliber player
Shame, his last year on the Island was great, exactly what you wanted in an NHL 4th liner. I am positive the Isles would have kept him had he not had the broken orbital bone.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 07:20 PM
VanillaCoke

vCash: 50
I find it curious why Anaheim would need this trade.
Is there nobody on their farm team that they could give the 6-10 mins per game to..?

VanillaCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 07:21 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
I think this trade is because Beauchemin may be out longer then a few games from the fall he took last night.
Wrong Jackman.

Old
11-21-2013, 07:22 PM
Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post
Wow, I thought Backlund was your 1C prior to this season? At least I think I read that somewhere.
Flames center depth has been terrible for a decade. There were times Blake Comeau was centering the top line for the Flames in the last couple years. Blake Comeau isn't a center.

But Stajan had a good year last year. He cemented his position in the top 9 prior to the start of the season (Flames this year don't exactly have the regular first, second and third lines).

Monahan obviously ended up being a pleasant surprise and stole a spot.

And then there was Colborne coming over from Toronto right before the season started. Colborne started on the fourth line, Backlund in the top 9, but Backlund disappointed and Colborne took his minutes. Now Backlund is fighting to get back in the top 9 (if not just stay in the lineup as he has been a healthy scratch).

Old
11-21-2013, 07:22 PM
justheducks

Send a message via AIM to justheducks
Quote:
Wrong Jackman.
yup, changed it lol.

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 07:26 PM
Johnny Caravella
The Doctor is in!

So, is Jackman the next Lovejoy?

Johnny Caravella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
So, is Jackman the next Lovejoy?
According to one Flames fan, giving up the sixth means that we got robbed. I remember the same being said about Lovejoy. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old
11-21-2013, 07:48 PM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post
Stajan is far and away the Flames best centre, even though no one talks about him. He plays 20+ minutes a night in all situations.

Monahan is probably the 2C already.

Colborne, surprisingly to me at least, is a decent 3C.

Leaving Backlund as the odd man out.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote