HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Novice Cross ice games - balance out teams?

Old
11-25-2013, 04:01 PM
icebandit

vCash: 500
Novice Cross ice games - balance out teams?

Hi

Just wondering how some coaches would approach this scenario.

Say if there were four Novice teams playing in a cross ice sessions with all teams playing each other during the 2 hour slot.

If one team had a much stronger first line and a strong team than all the other 3 teams, would they ever split the team up and balance all three teams up to make it more competitive and beneficial. As the teams would be local (ish), coaches would know their players and the other players and roughly know matching abilities.

Or would they just let one team thrash all the other teams 20 - nil (but not keeping the score). And there isn't an option to swop the group of 4 teams about do to travel distances.

Would be interested on people's opinions and workable ways to make cross ice more balanced when you have an imbalance with team strengths.

Thanks

icebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 05:55 PM
NateTheGr8

I coach Atoms here in my local community, I'm still in high school but I quit minor hockey to be able to be their Head Coach because they didn't have anyone step up (small town)

I have enough for a good night of 4-5 forward lines and 12-15 d men.

You want to give each kid a player that they can play with, so they dont hog the puck and know they have someone to pass too.

What I would do in your situation is pick 4 of the strongest and seperate them, then give them 4 "good" players to play along with.

NateTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2013, 09:59 AM
McDugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateTheGr8 View Post
I coach Atoms here in my local community, I'm still in high school but I quit minor hockey to be able to be their Head Coach because they didn't have anyone step up (small town)
Tangent - I think this is just so cool. A great show of character.

McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2013, 10:55 AM
Canadiens1958

More Information Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebandit View Post
Hi

Just wondering how some coaches would approach this scenario.

Say if there were four Novice teams playing in a cross ice sessions with all teams playing each other during the 2 hour slot.

If one team had a much stronger first line and a strong team than all the other 3 teams, would they ever split the team up and balance all three teams up to make it more competitive and beneficial. As the teams would be local (ish), coaches would know their players and the other players and roughly know matching abilities.

Or would they just let one team thrash all the other teams 20 - nil (but not keeping the score). And there isn't an option to swop the group of 4 teams about do to travel distances.

Would be interested on people's opinions and workable ways to make cross ice more balanced when you have an imbalance with team strengths.

Thanks
Bit more information is required since the solutions offered will vary accordingly.

Are you playing cross ice or half ice? Cross ice, the nets are closer since north/south is based on the 85 foot width whereas half ice, the 100 foot length determines the separation of the nets.

Are you playing timed segments? Three minute, unit of 5 skater, shifts are the norm for pre novice(MAHG) here in Quebec. Depending on the age differential of the youngsters, adjusting the shift length down to 2:30 or 2:00 minutes may work. Four and five year olds if the talent is equal may keep pace with six year old over a short shift of two minutes but lack the stamina over three minutes. The gap widens as shifts are repeated.

If the issue is confined within an association then it is an administrative issue not a coaching issue. Simply re-jig the four teams using skill evaluations as the criteria. If it is one stacked team from one association control the situation with a variation of the 3 on 3 hockey, limiting the number of goals a single player can score per shift(one), or capped at three per mini game(usually 36 minutes divided into 12 three minute shifts or 18 two minute shifts).

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote