HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Gus is here to stay!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-22-2013, 03:13 PM
  #126
SoupGuru
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Spokane
Country: United States
Posts: 13,960
vCash: 500
Have I mentioned that I don't understand half of you guys sometimes?

Bertuzzi is tied for third in goals scored for this team. Suddenly he's old and washed up? I wish I was old and washed up like that.

SoupGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 03:19 PM
  #127
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
Thank you Mr. I, RIP
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 28,996
vCash: 500
Unless I am wrong, which wouldn't surprise me given the complexity of the cap, but what Jaster posted days ago holds true right now. We only have 22 guys on the active roster and are banking money each day. In fact we are banking more of it, because Nyquist is cheaper than DeKeyser. DeKeyser is forced to be out up until the date we calculated as needing to save that amount of money to call up Gus anyway. Now we need to stay healthy for the next three to four weeks, or pick up an LTIR injury should someone go down, but we should be fine, without needing to waive anyone. At least I think that is the case.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 03:23 PM
  #128
Heaton
Moderator
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 21,642
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Says the Babcock slappy!

Seriously though, it's not for balance, or at least not completely. Babcock loves Cleary. He's unabashed about it. He thinks too highly of him and, as has been said, can't be trusted with him. I like Babcock, but he's human and he has faults. And one of his faults is Dan Cleary. There's just no excuse for Cleary to be on the top line. You want balance? Then you bump Cleary one line higher than he belongs, which puts him on the 3rd. You don't bump him up 3 whole lines. It's ridiculous. You can slide some guys up and down for the sake of balance without putting Cleary on the top line. And it doesn't have to be Tatar on the top line either, there are other options.
Right now? Who?

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 03:26 PM
  #129
jaster
i'm maybe not drunk
 
jaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Unless I am wrong, which wouldn't surprise me given the complexity of the cap, but what Jaster posted days ago holds true right now. We only have 22 guys on the active roster and are banking money each day. In fact we are banking more of it, because Nyquist is cheaper than DeKeyser. DeKeyser is forced to be out up until the date we calculated as needing to save that amount of money to call up Gus anyway. Now we need to stay healthy for the next three to four weeks, or pick up an LTIR injury should someone go down, but we should be fine, without needing to waive anyone. At least I think that is the case.
Yeah, I'm fairly certain that is indeed the case. In fact, didn't Khan or someone tweet that that's what Holland himself said in the past couple days?

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 03:27 PM
  #130
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Right now? Who?
Ferraro, Sheahan, Jurco, Eaves, Tootoo....

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 03:27 PM
  #131
SimplySolace
"We like our team"
 
SimplySolace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupGuru View Post
Have I mentioned that I don't understand half of you guys sometimes?

Bertuzzi is tied for third in goals scored for this team. Suddenly he's old and washed up? I wish I was old and washed up like that.
The point is that when he's away from D&Z he becomes much more useless. It's like Abdelkader. Yeah, he can score on the top line, but away from it is a totally different story.

SimplySolace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 03:29 PM
  #132
Heaton
Moderator
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 21,642
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
Ferraro, Sheahan, Jurco, Eaves, Tootoo....
Nope, no room/$$ to call anyone up.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 03:30 PM
  #133
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Nope, no room/$$ to call anyone up.
If Cleary is waived.....

Room and monies.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 03:31 PM
  #134
Heaton
Moderator
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 21,642
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
If Cleary is waived.....

Room and monies.
Which is a useless conversation since it will never happen.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 03:31 PM
  #135
BinCookin
Registered User
 
BinCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Unless I am wrong, which wouldn't surprise me given the complexity of the cap, but what Jaster posted days ago holds true right now. We only have 22 guys on the active roster and are banking money each day. In fact we are banking more of it, because Nyquist is cheaper than DeKeyser. DeKeyser is forced to be out up until the date we calculated as needing to save that amount of money to call up Gus anyway. Now we need to stay healthy for the next three to four weeks, or pick up an LTIR injury should someone go down, but we should be fine, without needing to waive anyone. At least I think that is the case.
I do not know if this is the case.

Before at deadline we were projected for 2Mil cap space
Now its just over 500K.

I do not KNOW what needs to happen if he stays, just saying we are using "some" of that capspace at least right now.

BinCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 03:36 PM
  #136
Roy S
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupGuru View Post
Have I mentioned that I don't understand half of you guys sometimes?

Bertuzzi is tied for third in goals scored for this team. Suddenly he's old and washed up? I wish I was old and washed up like that.
He has 9 points in 23 games playing prime minutes with Z and D the whole year and he's a -6. Not to mention the amount of penalties he takes versus the amount that he draws. He's awful. The sooner Weiss and Alfie come back and he gets as far away from the top six as possible, the better.

He and Cleary and Sammy are all no better than 4th line players at this point.

Roy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 03:42 PM
  #137
BinCookin
Registered User
 
BinCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
He has 9 points in 23 games playing prime minutes with Z and D the whole year and he's a -6. Not to mention the amount of penalties he takes versus the amount that he draws. He's awful. The sooner Weiss and Alfie come back and he gets as far away from the top six as possible, the better.

He and Cleary and Sammy are all no better than 4th line players at this point.
With all due respect. Blocking Bertuzzi with Cleary and Sammy is a mistake.

Bertuzzi has been strong on the puck, good in the corners, and he has been passing well.

He isn't the skill less slow trigger man doing all goals and no assists.
He is getting assists as well, and they are usually pretty good.

If someone made a rolodex video of his points this year, I think you would appreciate him.

That being said. He is on his last few years, and should be replaced by youth soon. (in 1-2 years)

Our problem has not been Bertuzzi Thus far this year.

BinCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 03:47 PM
  #138
jaster
i'm maybe not drunk
 
jaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Right now? Who?
Your mom.

Right now? With Weiss out, where we have to keep Z and D separate?

Gus - Dats - Bert
Mule - Hank - Abs
Tatar - Helm - Cleary
Miller - Andy - Sammy

Yeah, I hate Abs in the top-6 as well, but he's no worse than Cleary, and the top-6 is more balanced this way. It doesn't include Dats saddled with a borderline complementary winger and a 4th-liner. Which is a blackhole of a line that wastes Datsyuk's abilities. Which everyone knew going into last night.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 03:48 PM
  #139
Heaton
Moderator
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 21,642
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinCookin View Post
With all due respect. Blocking Bertuzzi with Cleary and Sammy is a mistake.

Bertuzzi has been strong on the puck, good in the corners, and he has been passing well.

He isn't the skill less slow trigger man doing all goals and no assists.
He is getting assists as well, and they are usually pretty good.

If someone made a rolodex video of his points this year, I think you would appreciate him.

That being said. He is on his last few years, and should be replaced by youth soon. (in 1-2 years)

Our problem has not been Bertuzzi Thus far this year.
Bertuzzi is barely adequate where Samuelsson and Cleary are abominations. Not exactly a great trade off.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 03:50 PM
  #140
Heaton
Moderator
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 21,642
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Your mom.

Right now? With Weiss out, where we have to keep Z and D separate?

Gus - Dats - Bert
Mule - Hank - Abs
Tatar - Helm - Cleary
Miller - Andy - Sammy

Yeah, I hate Abs in the top-6 as well, but he's no worse than Cleary, and the top-6 is more balanced this way. It doesn't include Dats saddled with a borderline complementary winger and a 4th-liner. Which is a blackhole of a line that wastes Datsyuk's abilities. Which everyone knew going into last night.
Yeah, it's just too bad none of that will happen. Didn't we have a Tatar - Helm - Cleary line in the past? I think it was brutal. The problem is, you plug up one hole and get a leak somewhere else.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 03:52 PM
  #141
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 17,231
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Says the Babcock slappy!

Seriously though, it's not for balance, or at least not completely. Babcock loves Cleary. He's unabashed about it. He thinks too highly of him and, as has been said, can't be trusted with him. I like Babcock, but he's human and he has faults. And one of his faults is Dan Cleary. There's just no excuse for Cleary to be on the top line. You want balance? Then you bump Cleary one line higher than he belongs, which puts him on the 3rd. You don't bump him up 3 whole lines. It's ridiculous. You can slide some guys up and down for the sake of balance without putting Cleary on the top line. And it doesn't have to be Tatar on the top line either, there are other options.
Miller? Sammy? Abdelkader? Yeah, other options, but I'm not sure they bring any more than Cleary does right now. Cleary's up there because we have two top6 forwards injured. When they're healthy, I'm sure cleary goes down the lineup. Shuffle guys in and out of that line to try to find a hot hand on any given night, but I don't see a point in railing against any specific one for being there.

__________________
Rebuilding Since Lidstrom Retired
Winger98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 03:53 PM
  #142
jaster
i'm maybe not drunk
 
jaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Yeah, it's just too bad none of that will happen. Didn't we have a Tatar - Helm - Cleary line in the past? I think it was brutal. The problem is, you plug up one hole and get a leak somewhere else.
I don't disagree. There are many crappy options. I am just saying that the options that include Cleary on the top line, with Dats and Bert, are not the least crappy options. On the plus side, Cleary did only get like 13 minutes last night, I think, so Babs apparently isn't completely brain dead.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 03:54 PM
  #143
Heaton
Moderator
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 21,642
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
I don't disagree. There are many crappy options. I am just saying that the options that include Cleary on the top line, with Dats and Bert, are not the least crappy options. On the plus side, Cleary did only get like 13 minutes last night, I think, so Babs apparently isn't completely brain dead.
He did bench him already. I think Holland and Babcock recognize that Cleary isn't what they thought he was in the playoffs. Babcock doesn't bench Cleary this early in the season if he's just playing kinda bad. He's been awful.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 04:05 PM
  #144
jaster
i'm maybe not drunk
 
jaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Miller? Sammy? Abdelkader? Yeah, other options, but I'm not sure they bring any more than Cleary does right now. Cleary's up there because we have two top6 forwards injured. When they're healthy, I'm sure cleary goes down the lineup. Shuffle guys in and out of that line to try to find a hot hand on any given night, but I don't see a point in railing against any specific one for being there.
Says the Cleary slappy!

I'm actually not all that upset about it. It's a minor thing, I agree. BUT IT'S STILL A THING.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 04:53 PM
  #145
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 17,231
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Says the Cleary slappy!

I'm actually not all that upset about it. It's a minor thing, I agree. BUT IT'S STILL A THING.
says the angry mob slappy!

I'm more upset by reading the three years of angry Cleary posts than by Cleary's play.

Winger98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 04:56 PM
  #146
jaster
i'm maybe not drunk
 
jaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
says the angry mob slappy!

I'm more upset by reading the three years of angry Cleary posts than by Cleary's play.
Says the moderator!

My angry Cleary posts have only been very recent. As in, the last several days. But I'm sorry for contributing to your frustration

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 05:36 PM
  #147
fimoknete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Roesrath, Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 860
vCash: 500
i can smell the nyquist trade

fimoknete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 05:52 PM
  #148
FabricDetails
Registered User
 
FabricDetails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fimoknete View Post
i can smell the nyquist trade
Booooooooooooooooooo.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 05:56 PM
  #149
SimplySolace
"We like our team"
 
SimplySolace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fimoknete View Post
i can smell the nyquist trade
Do you have any reasoning for this, or are you just talking out of your ass?

SimplySolace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 06:05 PM
  #150
KJoe88
Registered User
 
KJoe88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dearborn, MI
Posts: 5,448
vCash: 500
Gus isn't going anywhere, lol. If Ken wanted to trade him, he'd be gone already, imo.

If he does trade him I would be extremely pissed

KJoe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.