HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Manny Malhotra

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2005, 06:58 PM
Sunshine

vCash: 500
Manny Malhotra

Are you aware that he had 12G/13A in 56 games with the Jackets??

He's 25 years old and just tapping into his potential...

he's marketable in NY and would have made a GREAT LW'er on a line with Betts/Ortmeyer/Garth Murray...

Muckler really had it in for that kid.

Old
07-25-2005, 07:00 PM
dumpsathernow*

Yep in games where nobody cares if they win and often teams don't take the Jackets seriously. Despite how bad the Rangers are teams gear up to whip them. It's New York.

Maholtra would never do anything here.

Old
07-25-2005, 07:11 PM
Fletch

That is quite possible...

I saw some of his better games and he still looks lost offensively. He got to play with some talented guys and was a beneficiary of that. But Manny was never about goal scoring (I think his career high in goals was in juniors at 16, in nearly 60 games, if I remember correctly). He was supposed to be a smart player who has size and speed that could be effective on the PK and a good checking centerman (at the time, and now converted wing man). The kid still seems to be all over the ice and doesn't really know where to be. Muck did screw him, and Smith helped him as Manny was caught in the middle of a struggle and his development was significantly retarded as a result.

Old
07-25-2005, 07:18 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine
Are you aware that he had 12G/13A in 56 games with the Jackets??

He's 25 years old and just tapping into his potential...

he's marketable in NY and would have made a GREAT LW'er on a line with Betts/Ortmeyer/Garth Murray...

Muckler really had it in for that kid.
didn't columbus play him on the 2nd line most of the season he was able to play for them? i ask because if that were the case chances are he would get chances to score by sheer volume, not necessarily him being able to tap into his abilities.

at any rate, considering that they were the 2nd worst offensive team in the last season, i just can't validate those numbers as indicative of his growth.

on a good team i'd say he's a good 4th liner, and even a spot 3rd liner, but anything above that right now has no merit

Last edited by BwayBshirt: 07-25-2005 at 07:24 PM.
Old
07-25-2005, 08:21 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
I think Manny played center for the Jackets and he got more ice-time. Imagine that concept.

Personally, it was never about offense with him. They rushed him because of Smith and then Muck put the label on him which turned out accurate and didn't want to play the kid, which set him back for years.

He didn't play much with Dallas but now that he's in Columbus, look for him to become a decent third liner. Watch him contribute on a team that's on the rise and will be in the playoffs soon.

Old
07-25-2005, 08:35 PM
Sicilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart
He didn't play much with Dallas but now that he's in Columbus, look for him to become a decent third liner. Watch him contribute on a team that's on the rise and will be in the playoffs soon.
you sum it up well there. he's going to contribute on a solid playoff team as a 3rd liner/pker. on NY, with our current crop of LWs and Cs, he'd likely be forced into more of a secondary scoring role on a team that will likely give him little support this year.

the same player on two different teams often equals two entirely different players.

Old
07-25-2005, 08:45 PM
free0717

Is Malhotra a RFA that wont be qualified?

Old
07-25-2005, 09:42 PM
McRanger

Manny struck me as a guy who, for at least the duration of his prime, would always have a job somewhere. Big, fast, defensively capable, and has great heart.

Offensively he never impressed me. To be honest, as a prospect he never much impressed me. I always felt the only reason people thought so much of him was because he was the first player drafted at the start of Smiths aborted rebuilding effort.

People point to his heart, which was great, but Harvey had heart. Ortemeyer has heart. Heart doesnt make you indespensible, It makes you a fan favorite.

Closed Thread