HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

110% tonight

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2005, 08:08 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Season Ticket Holder
... As for anglo reporters praising Rivet...hhmm...don't really remember that too much. Not that my memory for exact incidents is that good, but I don't think the anglo media drools over Rivet at all. Nor do I recall them bashing "the first frog in sight" as you put it.....

Brisebois sucked. End of story. For the money he was making in particular. STH
Who came up with the Breezby nickname? And this, was before his big contract.

Who wil be the next whipping boy for The Gazette journalists? You can bet your house that it won't be an anglo and you know that the player will speak french. Remember the Hackett vs Theo saga? Guess who was backing Hacket!

Just on this board, the players that are being bashed are: Brisebois, Ribs, Theo and Dags

It is not better on the french side! But that's the reality of the media in Montreal.

Old
07-26-2005, 08:12 AM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe
Again bashing 110%... If you don't like it, don't watch it.

AND they are not worse or better then the clowns that covers sports for the anglo in Montreal who are all drooling over Rivet and always waiting to bash the first frog in sight.

That's the reality of sports in Montreal and it makes it intersting.
WTF are you talking about?

The anglo media doesn't make a mockery of journalism. They are idiots (Hickey, etc) in their own right, but they dont purposely make futile arguments and put down every french guy they see. These 110% guys are drunken clowns (like the poster above mentioned).

Old
07-26-2005, 08:17 AM
Season Ticket Holder

Quote:
Who came up with the Breezby nickname? And this, was before his big contract.

Who wil be the next whipping boy for The Gazette journalists? You can bet your house that it won't be an anglo and you know that the player will speak french. Remember the Hackett vs Theo saga? Guess who was backing Hacket!

Just on this board, the players that are being bashed are: Brisebois, Ribs, Theo and Dags

It is not better on the french side! But that's the reality of the media in Montreal.
Presumably the anglo media came up with the Breezby nickname cause it's actually in English. In French it wouldn't even make sense. But that's besides the point - one person came up with that, it wasn't a conspiracy of English media.

And over the decades of amazing Habs hockey, I don't think the English media consistently bashed guys like Lafleur, Yvan Cournoyer, and so on and so forth. Patrick Roy was a God in this city.

When Kovalev was playing mediocre hockey at best, when he first arrived, I seem to remember English media whipping him a few times. And they've blasted a host of players - that's what sports media does. If Brisebois was a whipping boy it's because he was consistently put into situations that he couldn't handle, expectations were too high, he played too many minutes in key roles, and he didn't do enough.

There's no question that sports media isn't fair or even reasonable at all times, but to assume such a divide between English and French is just nuts. If 110% rants and raves about the lack of quality French players for the Habs, I'd say it's because they miss the days when there WERE a slew of quality French players. And realistically, who wouldn't want that? It'd be great to have local heros (and no, I don't consider Ribeiro a local hero *shivers*), but you can't run your team *based* on trying to accomplish that.

STH

Old
07-26-2005, 08:20 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH
WTF are you talking about?

The anglo media doesn't make a mockery of journalism. They are idiots (Hickey, etc) in their own right, but they dont purposely make futile arguments and put down every french guy they see. These 110% guys are drunken clowns (like the poster above mentioned).
Hum, you dont know Jack Todd?

Old
07-26-2005, 08:25 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Presumably the anglo media came up with the Breezby nickname cause it's actually in English. In French it wouldn't even make sense. But that's besides the point - one person came up with that, it wasn't a conspiracy of English media.
Jack Todd came up with it.

Quote:
...And over the decades of amazing Habs hockey, I don't think the English media consistently bashed guys like Lafleur, Yvan Cournoyer, and so on and so forth. Patrick Roy was a God in this city.
The Habs were winning in those days.

Quote:
... There's no question that sports media isn't fair or even reasonable at all times, but to assume such a divide between English and French is just nuts. If 110% rants and raves about the lack of quality French players for the Habs, I'd say it's because they miss the days when there WERE a slew of quality French players. And realistically, who wouldn't want that? It'd be great to have local heros (and no, I don't consider Ribeiro a local hero *shivers*), but you can't run your team *based* on trying to accomplish that. STH
Of course, you dont build a team based on that but I am telling you, the next whipping boy at The Gazette and CFCF will be a franco just like the next one for the french side will be Rivet.

Old
07-26-2005, 08:30 AM
Sam I Am

Quote:

Brisebois sucked. End of story. For the money he was making in particular. Expectations were probably too high, but that came with the territory: you're going to earn the big bucks, you have to perform...

...Rivet's a #4 dman at best. End of story. Does that mean he sucks? No. It just means he's not a #1-#2 dman...

...Any day of the week, I'll take Rivet on my team. He's not great, but he shows character and grit when needed. In the right role he can be an effective leader, reasonably solid defensemen and a quality player. I wouldn't be interested in Brisebois.

STH
I couldn't have said it better myself.

At the money he was making, it has been abundantly clear for a long while that Brisebois had to go. A number four d-man cannot draw a number one salary.

Unlike Brisebois, Rivet is a true team player. While his play is not beyond reproach, he adds an element of toughness that Brisebois was neither physically nor psychologically able to provide. Making Rivet the anglo whipping-boy in some insane linguistic t*t-for-tat is an enterprise I want no part of.

Last edited by Sam I Am: 07-26-2005 at 08:52 AM.
Old
07-26-2005, 08:47 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am

At the money he was making, it has been abundantly clear for a long while that Brisebois had to go. A number four d-man cannot draw a number one salary.

Unlike Brisebois, Rivet is a true team player. While his play is not beyond reproach, he adds an element of toughness that Brisebois was neither physically nor psycologically able to provide. Making Rivet the anglo whipping-boy in some insane linguistic t*t-for-tat is an enterprise I want no part of.
Too late, you are already part of it as the "entreprise" has been around for a long time!

Old
07-26-2005, 09:00 AM
AH

Quote:
Hum, you dont know Jack Todd?
Did you also know that Brisebois almost ran over Todd with his car at the Bell Centre entrance?

No wonder Todd had it out for him.

Old
07-26-2005, 09:02 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH
Did you also know that Brisebois almost ran over Todd with his car at the Bell Centre entrance?

No wonder Todd had it out for him.
I knew that! He ran on his foot actually.

The hatred, at the beggining, was not toward his play but it was personal....which is worse.

Old
07-26-2005, 09:07 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredez

And the funniest part of the show : "Who's gonna be the best defenseman for Montreal now?". Hahaha, sorry but I couldn't help but roll on the floor. Pleasssse...Brisebois was not our best defenseman even in our most obscure years with guys like Christian Laflamme and Patrick Traverse.
This is what bugs me the most. Do these idiots even watch or remember the games?

02-03: Markov was by FAR the best Habs D. This isn't even a discussion. Brisebois was terrible.

03-04: Souray, when he was healthy, was by far the best Habs D. Brisebois had a much better season but to not give Souray any kind of credit is ridiculous. When Souray was injured, Markov stepped up big time and was huge in shutting down the Bruins top line in the post-season.

So Brisebois was not even the best Habs D the last 2 seasons, what makes these idiots think he would be now, when he's entering the end of his career while Markov and Souray are only entering their prime?

Old
07-26-2005, 09:33 AM
oli500

Every sports talk show host has theire clowns.(Don cherry) Theire there to make contreversy remarks because thats what makes the tv ratings go up. Theire ultamate goal is to piss off people because the more complaints they get the better it is for them. The only way to get rid of those clowns are to stop looking at them. As sample as that.

Old
07-26-2005, 09:33 AM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

Quote:
Unlike Brisebois, Rivet is a true team player.

OMG , Cmon..... Rivet only defend is friend Saku...and that's it!

The truth is Brisebois was overpaid ....and now he's gone.

Rivet is overpaid .... (Do You See a Pattern Here?)

Old
07-26-2005, 09:45 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I always used that show for comic relief but then again I haven't watched it in about a year and a half.

Old
07-26-2005, 10:32 AM
All-Star

Quote:
So how do you explain all the man-love Steve Begin gets on the same board?

Old
07-26-2005, 10:35 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Boohoohoo look at me I'm so persecuted and it's so hard to be a franco despite the fact that this entire province is suffering to cater to your every whim...

Enough about the English media being unfair to your precious franco players. It doesn't happen because of the language they speak. Brisebois is bashed because he SUCKS. Ribs is bashed because hes a hot dog baby. Dags is bashed because he is just terrible. And Theo...well we all know how Theo chokes.

I can't help the fact that all these players speak French as well as playing badly. Neither can the English media. Stop thinking we have this vendetta against you because it's getting annoying as hell.

The reason this split between us exists is because you keep making a big deal out of it.

Old
07-26-2005, 10:35 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star
So how do you explain all the man-love Steve Begin gets on the same board?
Mmmmmmm, Steve Bééégin

Old
07-26-2005, 10:47 AM
Renholder
Racing like a pro

Guys, where's the love? Let's not be on each other's throats. We're all in the same boat and the hab's don't suck anymore. They are fighting to reach above mediocrity. Breezer's gone. Rivet is still going to be frustrating. The media will be on saku koivu's arse all the time. We will be on theo's throat whenever he underachieves (quite often). Some of us are going to be praying for Gainey to trade away Ribeiro while others will be crucifying the ones thinking that way.

This is what fans do. We discuss. Unfortunately, the media has another agenda. They want us to be divided and follow their own outlet exclusively. Unfortunately some people get too worked up about it and start spewing hot flame on everyone. We should all remember, t'is only a game.

Old
07-26-2005, 10:51 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH²
Mmmmmmm, Steve Bééégin
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Steve Bégin...

Old
07-26-2005, 11:11 AM
Mike8

Quote:

I can't comment on the anglo/franco media supporting specific players or cutting others down at the knees. I don't pay attention to any Montreal sports media; they're all clowns as far as I'm concerned.

That said I don't think this point of yours is accurate. Brisebois, Ribeiro, and Dagenais get targetted because they're soft. Ribeiro's been cocky and not the prototypically 'likeable' hockey player with several diving incidents and perceived laziness.

But since Ribeiro clearly made efforts to improve his game he didn't get too much criticism down the stretch. Even after a poor playoff performance he was excused. Now he is widely accepted as Montreal's second line center and people are anxious to see him improve. Not only anxious, but confident that he will improve.

Juneau took a fair amount of criticism in his last season. Prior to that he was respected for the most part. Dackell received the same treatment.

Perreault and Audette were criticized due to perceived laziness and soft play. Same as Traverse.

That's the theme here; not the fact that they're french canadians.

Players that are french canadian and work hard are treated as fan favourites. Look at Begin. Or Bouillon.

Old
07-26-2005, 11:27 AM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
I'm sorry but Brisebois doesnt sucks. I'm not a big fan of him but the fact is he was "bad" in fans eyes only because too much was ask of him. The team have been bad for years and we have missed a true number 1 D-man for countless years. Brisebois is not capable of 1 d-man dutty, yet he was asked for it. Make him a 3rd d-man and give him the icetime and opponents that goes with this job, and he's a good asset to any team.

Old
07-26-2005, 11:41 AM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun
I'm sorry but Brisebois doesnt sucks. I'm not a big fan of him but the fact is he was "bad" in fans eyes only because too much was ask of him. The team have been bad for years and we have missed a true number 1 D-man for countless years. Brisebois is not capable of 1 d-man dutty, yet he was asked for it. Make him a 3rd d-man and give him the icetime and opponents that goes with this job, and he's a good asset to any team.
I agree... People have a bad opinion on Breezy because it's so easy to look at his shortcomings. You can't make apple juice out of oranges (which was what Houle did to Breezy). IMO the habs will be very Hard-pressed to replace Patrice. That is my brutally honest opinion.

Old
07-26-2005, 12:32 PM
Alouette_19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am

Unlike Brisebois, Rivet is a true team player. While his play is not beyond reproach, he adds an element of toughness that Brisebois was neither physically nor psychologically able to provide. Making Rivet the anglo whipping-boy in some insane linguistic t*t-for-tat is an enterprise I want no part of.
Brisebois is a good offensive d-man, Rivet is a good defensive d-man....I never understand the Rivet or Brisebois bashing....Yes they are not the best d-man of the ligue but they did their job right........

Brisebois and Rivet are both overpaid....but stop with the rivet was a true team player....come on!
Rivet was hiding in the shower while Brisebois is facing all those stupid french media clown!!!Brisebois face all those people like the 110% bunch defending the team even if sometime he wasn't the responsible of the lost!

Brisebois is gone!!!OK, now let's sign Markov and get a good d-man like Foote, Aucoin or Hatcher!

For return to the real subject 110% is stupid, if you don't like the show watch something else!!!No one force you to watch TQS at 11pm!!!Anyway the media in Montreal both English and French sucked!

Old
07-26-2005, 02:22 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
If you want balance after listening to this, you should read Michel Blanchard, in La Presse (don't know if he still writes once and a while). He HATES Brisebois.
What about Jack Todd?

Old
07-26-2005, 04:17 PM
the jpageman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasparov
LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dito lololol!!!

Old
07-26-2005, 05:05 PM
skidboot