HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Markov-Subban Pairing

Old
11-23-2013, 11:15 PM
Nedved

vCash: 500
Markov-Subban Pairing

These two have been down right dominate on the ice. Teams haven't been able to do much, and they're putting up points nightly.

Not sure where I would rank them in the league, but they have to be one of the toughest pairings to play against.

I know some people want to go back to markov emelin, gorges subban, but man-o-man, markov subban have been nearly perfect lately.

(I basically made this thread for markov, he seems to take a back seat to subban, but has been incredible for the team this season, and is only looking better each game).

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 11:21 PM
Lionel Mandrake
Generic user

Can't see how we can afford not to sign Markov now.

Lionel Mandrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 11:39 PM
Saundies

In my 21 years of existence, this is probably my all-time favorite Habs D pairing. It's almost like a passing of the torch kind of thing, too, one general to another.

Saundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 11:42 PM
NLHabsFan

They're meshing so well together. I think they have an argument for the top pairing in the league right now. I hope MB locks both up very soon. Don't break them up MT!

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 11:50 PM
NinetyThree24

We all know Subban is awesome, but Markov has been amazing as well.

He's so calm and collected with the puck. Truly like a QB in the offensive zone, checking his passing options and picking the best one.

NinetyThree24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 11:55 PM
TT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saundies View Post
In my 21 years of existence, this is probably my all-time favorite Habs D pairing. It's almost like a passing of the torch kind of thing, too, one general to another.
i wouldnt call subban a general, hes more of a colonel . markov's playmaking/hockey iq is on another level

TT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 12:17 AM
CanadienShark

vCash: 517
They're both very good skaters. Both are outstanding offensively. Both are very solid to very good defensively. Both are very smart players. They have great chemistry - Markov is an amazing passer with a good shot, whereas Subban has an amazing shot with a good pass. It's no wonder that they mesh well. I'd argue they're at worst a top 3 pairing in the league. Only one who has a good argument for being better is Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo, but even then it's close.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 12:54 AM
Et le But

One of, if not the best defensive pairing in the league. I'm sure it's debatable but the only pairings I can think of that have been as consistently good are Bouwmeester and Pietrangelo (on a better team) and Suter and Brodin, who aren't as good offensively.

This is a completely different team when Subban and Markov are on the ice compared to when they are not. They are on the ice for 70% of the Habs goals and 36% of goals against. Their underlying numbers are absurd.

Just look at this table for the Pens game:

Last edited by Et le But: 11-24-2013 at 01:08 AM.
Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 01:19 AM
The Doors

Markov owns the game of hockey. Hero

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 01:19 AM
Willis Jenks

Was at the game, got to see their relationship close up. You can tell Markov really appreciates Subban. Last game Subban stood up for Markov and this game when Subban was in scrums I kept seeing Markov throw his weight around giving Subban some help. Subban's fight meant a lot to Markov.

Willis Jenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 01:42 AM
OneSharpMarble

Remember the heat Gauthier took here for signing Markov? It was apparently the worst thing ever because Markov was "washed up" and we would never be able to offload that contract.

OneSharpMarble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 02:24 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis Jenks View Post
Was at the game, got to see their relationship close up. You can tell Markov really appreciates Subban. Last game Subban stood up for Markov and this game when Subban was in scrums I kept seeing Markov throw his weight around giving Subban some help. Subban's fight meant a lot to Markov.
Yea, they really do like each other.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 06:55 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Who says we can't have two #1s?!

It's honestly an immense pairing because if one has a hiccup the other is right there to pick up the slack, so it's a rarity that the pairing screws up to the point of having a brutal game like we see with other pairings on the regular.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 07:06 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Remember the heat Gauthier took here for signing Markov? It was apparently the worst thing ever because Markov was "washed up" and we would never be able to offload that contract.
Still crying for Gauthier.

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 07:12 AM
otto bond

Markov has really put his game together since coming back. His mobility has come back almost 100% and is not a defensive liability any more. Subban has been great too but it's Markov's game that has made this duo incredible.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 07:23 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis Jenks View Post
They seemed to talk alot in between plays and laughed, I really hope we can lock Markov up. Also, another good thing about having Emelin back is that we can keep the Markov-Subban pairing and still have a good 2nd pairing with Gorges-Emelin.

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 07:32 AM
dcyhabs

I'd be tempted to split them to spread the offence. On the other hand the habs only need one or two guys in Hamilton to pass Bouillon to have a pretty solid top 6. Have to hope for a log jam instead of a series of meh/busts.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 07:35 AM
AH

All those years I argued with Leaf fans that Markov >>> Kaberle/Mccabe.

Well, Markov is still in discussions for the Norris (but way on the outside) while the other two are out of the NHL at a younger age.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 07:52 AM
FF de Mars

Markov has always been my favourite Habs player. I even remember his debut. On HF, we were all excited about him when he first came over. When he played in the AHL for the Québec Citadelles, we were all complaining and wanted to see him with the big club. He had the same hype than Subban and Galchenyuk. I always defended him throughout his two injuries. I'm glad I did.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 08:55 AM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist
Master Pleks

I wish Markov never retire so we can have this first pairing FOREVER!

FrontierPsyCHiatrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 09:21 AM
Prendan Brust

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
It is the same for every signings the habs have done in the last few years. I think the signing that was best received on this board was the Laraque signing, for obvious reasons.

Prendan Brust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 09:22 AM
macavoy

Markov is forcing MB's hand. At this point, MB has to extend Markov before he extends PK. If PK is going to get in the $7-8m range, Markov deserves similar money, he is playing more minutes per game currently and almost as integral.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 12:49 PM
dcyhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
Markov has always been my favourite Habs player. I even remember his debut. On HF, we were all excited about him when he first came over. When he played in the AHL for the Québec Citadelles, we were all complaining and wanted to see him with the big club. He had the same hype than Subban and Galchenyuk. I always defended him throughout his two injuries. I'm glad I did.
Well he was offence first back then. He'd put up points pretty much every game but I can remember mediocre forwards skating through him and Brisebois one on two to score easy goals. His game has evolved a lot. Markov's defence is strong and will improve has he gets some mobility back and adapts to his new (lower) top speed.

Not many players make the switch from center to D.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Narg98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony View Post
It is the same for every signings the habs have done in the last few years. I think the signing that was best received on this board was the Laraque signing, for obvious reasons.
I might be wrong, but people were saying that the Desharnais signing was golden after his great year alongside Paccio and Cole... Habs fan, typical bipolar .

Narg98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 01:05 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Markov is forcing MB's hand. At this point, MB has to extend Markov before he extends PK. If PK is going to get in the $7-8m range, Markov deserves similar money, he is playing more minutes per game currently and almost as integral.
There is absolutely no way Markov gets a 7M+ offer from any team in the league unless Rob Ford lands a GM job. I'm pretty sure he will sign something along the lines of his last contract, he will be 35 in December, his prime is behind him even if he's still playing some very good hockey. It's not like we can expect him to get even better.

With that said, I think the Habs have one of the top 3 D pairings in the league in Subban and Markov, they are absolute dynamite.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote