HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Is Colton Orr done as an enforcer?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-23-2013, 11:47 PM
  #1
Polo*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,281
vCash: 500
Is Colton Orr done as an enforcer?

I think he is done. He loses almost every fight or he squeaks out a draw against guys like Sestito. He looks extremely disinterested in fights or to even bother fighting.

Last month the leafs star player was attacked by John Scott. He has yet to answer for this. Sure there was jawing and Scott didnt drop em but in the old days there was no talk. He dropped the gloves and went after the guy. If the leaf enforcers arent going to protect their star players, its time to send them down. Even McLaren this season has looked terrible. He has horrible balance and is just not doing that well.

Is Colton Orr done?

Polo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 12:55 AM
  #2
Duffman955
Registered User
 
Duffman955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,200
vCash: 500
He is not done, He smashed every opponent last year and this year, no one wants to fight him.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 01:25 AM
  #3
Asif16*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,075
vCash: 500
lol hell no.

People dont want to fight him.

Also the only reason he didnt fight as often in the beginning of the season is because he was nursing a hand injury, which he suffered in training camp. He played through it, but after the sestito fight (which by the way he won), he reaaggravated it which caused him to sit for 3 more games.

Now he says he's healthy.

In fact you bring up john scott incident. He was challening john scott all game last saturday, it was scott who turned him down.

Orr is still one of the top heavies in the league. Dude is definitely not done.

Asif16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 01:33 AM
  #4
Asif16*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,075
vCash: 500
Also to follow up on my point above.....i read somewhere that Carlyle has also told Orr to become a more complete hockey player, rather than just going out there looking for fights. I believe he told orr to become a more "Chris NEil" type of player. I read this somewhere at the time of the leafs/bruins playoff series.

Obviously neil is still a better player than orr, but you can see that orr is a much better hockey player today than he was 2-3 years ago. His speed has improved tremendously. HE forechecks hard and backchecks and gets good scoring chances here and there.

Asif16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 02:28 AM
  #5
Polo*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
He is not done, He smashed every opponent last year and this year, no one wants to fight him.
last year he looked really good for the most part. This year he looks pretty bad and disinterested so I dont know how you say he smashed everyone so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asif16 View Post
lol hell no.

People dont want to fight him.

Also the only reason he didnt fight as often in the beginning of the season is because he was nursing a hand injury, which he suffered in training camp. He played through it, but after the sestito fight (which by the way he won), he reaaggravated it which caused him to sit for 3 more games.

Now he says he's healthy.

In fact you bring up john scott incident. He was challening john scott all game last saturday, it was scott who turned him down.

Orr is still one of the top heavies in the league. Dude is definitely not done.
Yeah I saw those games and thats what Im saying. I know he chirped and tried to get scott to fight but he used to just jump the guy...and he should have done that to scott for going after Kessel.

Orr is one of my fav fighters so I hope he returns to kicking ass.

I dont believe people are suddenly scared to fight him, hes never had a problem in the past guys going with him.

Maybe Carlyle did tell him to chill and thats whats going on. I just noticed hes not fighting very much and when he does he either loses or squeaks into a draw with guys he should be destroying.

Polo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 02:59 AM
  #6
LeafOfBread
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,107
vCash: 500
Orr can't jump Scott. The way the league is now, there are massive retributions. Refs are breaking up potential fights more than ever before, even between goons. Shanaban even called both teams and warned them before the home-and-home to not do any gooning. If Orr 'jumps' Scott, guaranteed there is potential for a brawl, and I bet Shanaban calls next day handing out suspensions like candy and probably fining the coaches too.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 03:58 AM
  #7
Ryp37
Registered User
 
Ryp37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,342
vCash: 500
Haven't noticed much of him this year, but he seems to be a lot smarter then Mclaren because I don't think I've seen him take a dumb penalty from the few games I've seen

Ryp37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 06:44 AM
  #8
Mike Martin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Orr can't jump Scott. The way the league is now, there are massive retributions. Refs are breaking up potential fights more than ever before, even between goons. Shanaban even called both teams and warned them before the home-and-home to not do any gooning. If Orr 'jumps' Scott, guaranteed there is potential for a brawl, and I bet Shanaban calls next day handing out suspensions like candy and probably fining the coaches too.
Where is the proof that Shanahan warned Buffalo and Toronto before their home and home series to not do any gooning? I think that is merely online speculation from people trying to justify why so little fighting took place in those games.

Mike Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 06:45 AM
  #9
Mike Martin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
He is not done, He smashed every opponent last year and this year, no one wants to fight him.
No one wants to fight him? Boulton had to practically force Orr to fight because Orr was not interested in doing so.

Mike Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 07:05 AM
  #10
trick9
Registered User
 
trick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5,954
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Orr can't jump Scott. The way the league is now, there are massive retributions. Refs are breaking up potential fights more than ever before, even between goons. Shanaban even called both teams and warned them before the home-and-home to not do any gooning. If Orr 'jumps' Scott, guaranteed there is potential for a brawl, and I bet Shanaban calls next day handing out suspensions like candy and probably fining the coaches too.
Emery incident taught us that you can assault player 3 times before getting 2-game suspension. I wouldn't call that massive retributions.

trick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 09:47 AM
  #11
TieClark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,113
vCash: 500
What is this? Nobody will fight the Toronto tough guys.... Orr did a fricken flip over a Buf guy to try and get at Scott when they played and McClaren went at him a few times. Nobody wants to fight them because teams know Toronto is tough and that's how they want to play.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 09:48 AM
  #12
TieClark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Martin View Post
Where is the proof that Shanahan warned Buffalo and Toronto before their home and home series to not do any gooning? I think that is merely online speculation from people trying to justify why so little fighting took place in those games.
Regardless of who said what, it was clear somebody calmed Scott right down. Even after the little skirmish in the 2nd game the Toronto guys are going nuts in the box and he's just like "meh, I didn't do anything" sitting in there. The most fired up he got was when he realized he was being tossed

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 09:53 AM
  #13
GenericFan2*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,475
vCash: 500
Scott was told by Nolan not to fight...Orr challenged him several times, same with McLaren.

What a stupid thread, Orr is still the sheriff, and nobody wants to fight him because of that.

GenericFan2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 10:14 AM
  #14
Dosh Jonaldson
Bunch of Bangerz
 
Dosh Jonaldson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I think he is done. He loses almost every fight or he squeaks out a draw against guys like Sestito. He looks extremely disinterested in fights or to even bother fighting.

Last month the leafs star player was attacked by John Scott. He has yet to answer for this. Sure there was jawing and Scott didnt drop em but in the old days there was no talk. He dropped the gloves and went after the guy. If the leaf enforcers arent going to protect their star players, its time to send them down. Even McLaren this season has looked terrible. He has horrible balance and is just not doing that well.

Is Colton Orr done?
Like when Orr jumped that plug on Buffalo when he was going at Phaneuf?

Dosh Jonaldson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 10:54 AM
  #15
KT7
Registered User
 
KT7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asif16 View Post
Also to follow up on my point above.....i read somewhere that Carlyle has also told Orr to become a more complete hockey player, rather than just going out there looking for fights. I believe he told orr to become a more "Chris NEil" type of player. I read this somewhere at the time of the leafs/bruins playoff series.

Obviously neil is still a better player than orr, but you can see that orr is a much better hockey player today than he was 2-3 years ago. His speed has improved tremendously. HE forechecks hard and backchecks and gets good scoring chances here and there.
I believe this to be the case. I have noticed he's been playing harder and more efficient than in the past. If he can get on the ice more it makes him that much more effective at what he does.

KT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 11:03 AM
  #16
TieClark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,113
vCash: 500
I would Shawn Thornton would be a better guy to emulate. He's been able to maintain a career in the league through his late 30's on a very good team because he can play a regular shift while fighting the odd scrap.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 11:11 AM
  #17
Asif16*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Martin View Post
Where is the proof that Shanahan warned Buffalo and Toronto before their home and home series to not do any gooning? I think that is merely online speculation from people trying to justify why so little fighting took place in those games.
It was reported before the game. I dont remember who did it. But it was tweeted by one of the leaf writers. Shanahan did indeed give both team a call, and warned them to not do anything stupid.

Orr is still a top heavy in this league. I have no doubt about that. Like i said before...he was playing through an injury for many games to start the season.

He seems alright now. He challenged scott a lot of times. He went after mccormick and tried to take his head off.

He challenged clune in the nashville game. Clune wouldnt budge. He challenged volpatti last night. But volpatti wouldnt nudge. No one wants to fight him

Asif16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 11:31 AM
  #18
Bi Coastal Bawse*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bay Area, California
Country: United States
Posts: 11,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
I would Shawn Thornton would be a better guy to emulate. He's been able to maintain a career in the league through his late 30's on a very good team because he can play a regular shift while fighting the odd scrap.
Yeah. Chris Neil is a chirping 3rd liner who can fight
Thornton is a 4th line enforcer who is good for 10-15(maybe points a year)

Orr would do better to emulate Thornton

Orr has had a few injuries this year let him get 100% healthy and back in rhythm

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 02:33 PM
  #19
WildcatMapleLeafs28
Registered User
 
WildcatMapleLeafs28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,709
vCash: 500
Doubt it but it certainly looks like he passed the torch onto McLaren.

I think it's a case of better matchups. There's a lot more fighters on McLaren's level (second tier heavy)...

Orr's opponents will be guys like McGrattan , Parros , Bordeleau , Kassiann etc..

McLaren will take on all the others like Thornton, Prust, Neil , Konopka ...

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 09:54 PM
  #20
Gavy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,997
vCash: 500
What a stupid thread. Carlyle wants Orr to be a complete player that isn't a liability on the ice. Orr has improved as a player and can now sometimes be used on a line with 2 skilled guys to create room for them

Gavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 11:10 PM
  #21
Quares27
Registered User
 
Quares27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 6,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Martin View Post
No one wants to fight him? Boulton had to practically force Orr to fight because Orr was not interested in doing so.
Are you serious? Orr wanted to drop them when Boulton was trying to pick up his stick and Boulton ignored him. It took Orr crushing one of the young guys on the Isles 10 seconds later for Boulton to fight, and Orr dropped his gloves well before Boulton did. People will see what they want to see I suppose. Willful ignorance.

To actually answer the OP - obviously not. There are maybe 15-20 guys in the league that will actually fight Orr so he's obviously not going to fight that often unless he's fighting the same guys over and over. There were way more tough guys in the NHL 3-4 years ago. Just looking at Orr's fight card from a few years ago - Laraque, Brashear, Koci, Macintyre, Shelley, King, Boogaard, Hordichuk, Peters, Godard are all not in the NHL anymore only 4 years later. And they've been replaced with who - Bordeleau, Reaves, Thorburn, Gazdic, Sestito, Kassian, Biznasty? not exactly much to pick from these days.

And then on top of that the Leafs always have another heavyweight in McLaren so that takes away fights from Orr. For example the game vs Calgary - if McLaren fights McGrattan then McGrattan isn't going to fight Orr 95% of the time, and then there's nobody else who will fight Orr. So he can't get a fight if he wanted to. Or if he's playing against a team like Nashville, Minnesota or Washington who is he going to fight? none of them have the balls to fight him because of his reputation.

The fact that this is even a thread is hilarious. Thornton is 36, Mcgrattan is 32, Boulton is 37, Scott is 31, Parros is 34 (etc etc the list goes on) and Orr is 31. Why would he be done as an enforcer? 31 isn't old.

/thread

Quares27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 11:03 AM
  #22
JimLaheyprobert
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quares27 View Post
Are you serious? Orr wanted to drop them when Boulton was trying to pick up his stick and Boulton ignored him. It took Orr crushing one of the young guys on the Isles 10 seconds later for Boulton to fight, and Orr dropped his gloves well before Boulton did. People will see what they want to see I suppose. Willful ignorance.

To actually answer the OP - obviously not. There are maybe 15-20 guys in the league that will actually fight Orr so he's obviously not going to fight that often unless he's fighting the same guys over and over. There were way more tough guys in the NHL 3-4 years ago. Just looking at Orr's fight card from a few years ago - Laraque, Brashear, Koci, Macintyre, Shelley, King, Boogaard, Hordichuk, Peters, Godard are all not in the NHL anymore only 4 years later. And they've been replaced with who - Bordeleau, Reaves, Thorburn, Gazdic, Sestito, Kassian, Biznasty? not exactly much to pick from these days.

And then on top of that the Leafs always have another heavyweight in McLaren so that takes away fights from Orr. For example the game vs Calgary - if McLaren fights McGrattan then McGrattan isn't going to fight Orr 95% of the time, and then there's nobody else who will fight Orr. So he can't get a fight if he wanted to. Or if he's playing against a team like Nashville, Minnesota or Washington who is he going to fight? none of them have the balls to fight him because of his reputation.

The fact that this is even a thread is hilarious. Thornton is 36, Mcgrattan is 32, Boulton is 37, Scott is 31, Parros is 34 (etc etc the list goes on) and Orr is 31. Why would he be done as an enforcer? 31 isn't old.

/thread
Agreed, this video clearly shows boulton hitting orr, then orr shoving him "initiating a challenge" then im assumeing boulton says no, Orr skates away crushes a young guy, turns around and drops his gloves first before boulton does. The reason their was no fight was because orr's jersey came over his head and in todays nhl any small reason to break up a fight they will.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxv0UKqN4x0


Last edited by tarheelhockey: 11-25-2013 at 11:19 AM.
JimLaheyprobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 01:15 PM
  #23
Your Boy Troy
Registered User
 
Your Boy Troy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,873
vCash: 500
Done as an enforcer? No.


However, I do think that his fighting skills have started to decline. Perhaps he is a little bit rusty, this season.

Your Boy Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 07:08 PM
  #24
Polo*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,281
vCash: 500
And for the first time I just saw colton orr decline a fight. No only that but parros treated him like a punk by shooting his stick away and orr skated away and cried to the refs

orr better man up in the next period or the 3rd

Polo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 07:26 PM
  #25
jcorb58
Registered User
 
jcorb58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Not a Colton Orr fan per say, but very classy move to make sure Parros head didnt hit the ice again.

jcorb58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.