HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Liles for Gleason

Old
11-24-2013, 11:49 AM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeksideStrangler View Post
Liles is a good dman.
Liles is above average puckmover, he's not good dman. He's third pairing guy.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Maplelaughs97
The Kids Are Alright

I could get behind Gleason acquisition. He's better than Fraser and as has been mentioned would make a pretty ideal partner for Rielly moving forwards.

Maplelaughs97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 11:52 AM
SeaOfBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Some Canes fans are happy with the deal. If JR puts Gleason out there, I'd assume he could get a better offer than a guy that passed through waivers not too long ago.
Well you have to think about this though. Liles would come at his full 3.875 with no cap going the other way. Gleason and his 4 or so million would be going away in this trade. I'm sure if Carolina had the flexibility, they would have claimed him, but they didn't, so they're going to have to move away some cap.

SeaOfBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 11:53 AM
SeaOfBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapleleafs Fan View Post
Well if they had cap they might have picked him up through waivers. I won't be sure though what the real offer would be. It won't be a huge+ from us if Canes wants Liles a decent prospect or late pick can be added for sweetener. Who knows, right?
Liles and Ashton for Gleason would be fair.

Old
11-24-2013, 11:55 AM
Mapleleafs Fan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoMapleLeafsFTW View Post
More or less it would be something like that. Not a bad proposal though.

Mapleleafs Fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 11:57 AM
SeaOfBlue

Quote:
More or less it would be something like that. Not a bad proposal though.
Would you think trading Gunnarsson and Kulemin in a separate deal for a good RHD would be another thing Toronto should consider?

Old
11-24-2013, 11:58 AM
WTFMAN99

Quote:
I was thinking Liles and Ashton for Gleason and 3rd - 5th round pick - probably a 5th though.

WTFMAN99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Maplelaughs97
The Kids Are Alright

Quote:
Would you think trading Gunnarsson and Kulemin in a separate deal for a good RHD would be another thing Toronto should consider?
No, those two are much too important to the team moving forwards, so unless we're acquiring Girardi or something comparable (ie upgrade to the first pair) I don't see these guys being moved.

Old
11-24-2013, 12:02 PM
SeaOfBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFMAN99 View Post
I was thinking Liles and Ashton for Gleason and 3rd - 5th round pick - probably a 5th though.
I probably wouldn't include the pick. To be fair Gleason>Liles and Ashton isn't our best prospect, he probably won't ever make the club due to his inconsistency, so the best we may get is a 5th, and that would be a steal. I'd be happy with a 7th

Old
11-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Mapleleafs Fan*

Quote:
Kulemin can be traded but I highly doubt it. Gunnarson is not moving, we have lots of pieces to move before he has to be gone. Don't forget our strong prospect pool can be flipped for 1 on 1 LHD for RHD. Nashville and Jets are 2 teams with abundance of RHDs and lack LHDs.

I wonder if any of them would be traded though.

Old
11-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Gerbefied
we lost to the best

vCash: 100
LOL, this guy passed through waivers and is on a ridiculous contract, and you think your gonna trade him for Gleason?

Gerbefied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 12:06 PM
SeaOfBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maplelaughs97 View Post
No, those two are much too important to the team moving forwards, so unless we're acquiring Girardi or something comparable (ie upgrade to the first pair) I don't see these guys being moved.
What about Niskanen and a possible 1st?

Old
11-24-2013, 12:07 PM
SeaOfBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanTheGinge View Post
LOL, this guy passed through waivers and is on a ridiculous contract, and you think your gonna trade him for Gleason?
Yes.

Old
11-24-2013, 12:08 PM
SeaOfBlue

Quote:
Kulemin can be traded but I highly doubt it. Gunnarson is not moving, we have lots of pieces to move before he has to be gone. Don't forget our strong prospect pool can be flipped for 1 on 1 LHD for RHD. Nashville and Jets are 2 teams with abundance of RHDs and lack LHDs.

I wonder if any of them would be traded though.
Well I'm just thinking, if we acquired a RHD, where would Gunnarsson fit? Especially if we acquired Gleason, he'd be under utilized.

Old
11-24-2013, 12:08 PM
Maplelaughs97
The Kids Are Alright

Quote:
What about Niskanen and a possible 1st?
Niskanen is not better than Gunnar so no.

Old
11-24-2013, 12:09 PM
Gerbefied
we lost to the best

vCash: 100
Quote:
Yes.
Liles has negative value, this is awful for Carolina, he can move the puck but he's not a good dman

Gerbefied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 12:09 PM
Maplelaughs97
The Kids Are Alright

Quote:
Yes because Gleason's value is also low and carries a large cap hit. Just an exchange of players to better suit each teams needs...

Old
11-24-2013, 12:10 PM
Maplelaughs97
The Kids Are Alright

Quote:
Liles has negative value, this is awful for Carolina, he can move the puck but he's not a good dman
Do you realize that Gleason's cap hit is 4 million for the next 3 years? Still think it's off base?

Old
11-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Mapleleafs Fan*

Quote:
Well I'm just thinking, if we acquired a RHD, where would Gunnarsson fit? Especially if we acquired Gleason, he'd be under utilized.
He will play where he is playing right now. It will only change the roles of Fraser, Ranger and Rielly. According to many fans Ranger would be sent down and Rielly would play on a regular basis. I think Fraser will get his share based on what team we are facing.

Old
11-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:

Liles when healthy and he looks healthy is a good defenseman, a guy who is capable at both ends of the ice and is smart with the puck. Gleason is a good defensive defenseman who Toronto could use one more of but the difference between Gleason and Liles at this stage is not Carter Ashton. Maybe a later pick like a 5th or 6th. And if you get Gleason you don't drop Fraser. Toronto has too many offensive minded soft defenseman, and the fact that Gleason much like liles may not be the same kind of player after returning from his concussion.

Joey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 12:18 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Yeah, if we did trade Brennan, Holzer and Liles, we'd only have 5 defensemen on the Marlies, but then we send Ranger down for number 6 and he can further develop and lead there (maybe be the captain considering Smith is on the Leafs pretty much permanently).
Ranger is on a 1-way contract, he'd have to go through waivers to get sent down and guaranteed someone would pick him up. Ranger hasn't impressed me so far but even still...losing him for nothing on waivers would be foolish.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 12:19 PM
SeaOfBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maplelaughs97 View Post
Niskanen is not better than Gunnar so no.
He has a little more upside and is a rare top 4 RHD, but I see what you're getting at. I'm just thinking, we move Gunnarsson, Kulemin and Holzer and we get something like Niskanen, a couple of seconds and maybe a fourth, we'd actually get regain some of the picks we lost for Gunnarsson, who may be the next victim of getting lost in the shuffle.

Old
11-24-2013, 12:20 PM
SeaOfBlue

Quote:
He will play where he is playing right now. It will only change the roles of Fraser, Ranger and Rielly. According to many fans Ranger would be sent down and Rielly would play on a regular basis. I think Fraser will get his share based on what team we are facing.
Yes, but Gunnarsson is playing as a LHD out of position. You would be getting a RHD to play there instead.

Old
11-24-2013, 12:21 PM
Stats01

Why would we have to drop Fraser if we got Gleason? I don't understand that notion at all. I'd keep Fraser, it's called depth and to be quite honest this whole Liles+ for Gleason is a good idea from both sides. Although I had no idea Gleason was so scared to play in Canada :p

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 12:21 PM
SeaOfBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24 View Post
Liles when healthy and he looks healthy is a good defenseman, a guy who is capable at both ends of the ice and is smart with the puck. Gleason is a good defensive defenseman who Toronto could use one more of but the difference between Gleason and Liles at this stage is not Carter Ashton. Maybe a later pick like a 5th or 6th. And if you get Gleason you don't drop Fraser. Toronto has too many offensive minded soft defenseman, and the fact that Gleason much like liles may not be the same kind of player after returning from his concussion.
Well we probably will be dropping Fraser, because of his value, and the fact of Rielly and Ranger being stubbornly played.