HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When will Emelin get a legit shot on the PP?

Old
11-25-2013, 01:53 AM
kassian
Emelin's face plate

vCash: 500
When will Emelin get a legit shot on the PP?

Fact: In :48 seconds on the man-advantage (@WAS), Emelin tied the amount of PP assists/points (1) by Bouillon, who played 100+ minutes there in the past two seasons.

Fact: Emelin had more points at the moment he tore his ACL, last season, than Bouillon gathered this season AND the last one combined, despite all the exposure MT gave him.

Fact: Emelin's sole PP time came as a result of Josh Gorges being in the penalty box at the moment of the man advantage and Cube being a healthy scratch. Coincidentally, he assisted for a goal and hasn't seen a single second on the power play since.

Fact: This season, Brandon Prust, Nathan Beaulieu, Martin St. Pierre, Louis Leblanc and Travis Moen all have more PP time than Emelin.

Genius, Therrien. Much brain cell. Such coaching vision and judgment. Wow.

Some people were convinced MT would be smart enough to put him on the 2nd PP wave as soon as he came back at a 100%. Well, he's shown enough for a number of games now, and our coaching management still believes Cube is a more effective puck mover and shooter.

And don't get me wrong; I like certain elements Cube's able to bring, but he looks way out of his element, playing on the power play. He's unable to get any sort of shot on the PP, or, for that matter, anything that is likely to create a goal. He's useless there - he just passes the puck to Diaz and/or his forwards and camps at the top of the enemy's circle. A complete waste.

What will it take for Emelin, who's been a PP anchor for the national team and his KHL squads, to gain respect of the coaching staff? It's common knowledge that MT has a man crush and huge background with Francis Bouillon, but it is simply a case of injustice, poor judgment to play someone who's not fit on the man-advantage. I can't even imagine how frustrated Emelin must feel each time he sees an inferior, aging player getting crucial playing time over him.

Last edited by kassian: 11-25-2013 at 02:00 AM.
kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 03:06 AM
DAChampion

Will Emelin make the Russian olympic team?

I hope he gets a shot on the PP soon.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 03:15 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

what will it take? a new contract?

seriously though i will give whoever is coaching special units the benefit of the doubt and assume they tried emelin on it. maybe they want him to focus on his defense first but whatever, he will get his chance eventually.

for now, we got an excellent powerplay, so as long as it's working im not gonna agonize over it

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 03:28 AM
Spearmint Rhino

I'd give Tank a shot, he's shown decent production in the KHL and WJC

Either that or play PK & Markov the entire PP

Anyone but Cube or Gorges - they have negative offensive skills and really struggle keeping pucks in the zone or getting pucks to the net

Spearmint Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 03:32 AM
MsChanandlerBong
The Chan-Chan Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassian View Post
Fact: This season, Brandon Prust, Nathan Beaulieu, Martin St. Pierre, Louis Leblanc and Travis Moen all have more PP time than Emelin.

Some people were convinced MT would be smart enough to put him on the 2nd PP wave as soon as he came back at a 100%. Well, he's shown enough for a number of games now, and our coaching management still believes Cube is a more effective puck mover and shooter.
What kind of fact is this though, really? He's been back for four games. MT is not an idiot for not immediately placing him on the 2nd PP wave, you have to let him get back into game shape and get used to playing again. Honestly, have some patience.

MsChanandlerBong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 03:36 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

you deserve an F for the effort kassian.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 04:50 AM
De Montreal
help

maybe i guess it all depends on the coach and the injuries and emelin play i really dont know about that one sorry bye

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 05:43 AM
Tyrus
5 ft 8 in.

There's no reason in hell that Markov/Subban shouldn't be playing every minute of every PP we get unless they've already been on the ice for 1+ minute before the ref blows it.

Tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 06:38 AM
NateTheGr8

Even just rotate Diaz in with Subban and Markov

NateTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 06:51 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
what will it take? a new contract?

seriously though i will give whoever is coaching special units the benefit of the doubt and assume they tried emelin on it. maybe they want him to focus on his defense first but whatever, he will get his chance eventually.

for now, we got an excellent powerplay, so as long as it's working im not gonna agonize over it
Being complacent is never good though. You should always look to improve weak points, and our 2nd D unit on PP is useless, we shouldn't wait until our top unit gets cold before improving the 2nd.
Really, there's no reason to play Bouillon there, it's quite lame.
It's also not just limited to PP, if PK-Markov were used late in a 1 goal trailing game, which pairing gets thrown out? Our 2nd D unit...

Last edited by Kriss E: 11-25-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 07:33 AM
jaffy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsChanandlerBong View Post
What kind of fact is this though, really? He's been back for four games. MT is not an idiot for not immediately placing him on the 2nd PP wave, you have to let him get back into game shape and get used to playing again. Honestly, have some patience.
You beat me to it....give him 10 games to catch up to the tempo, then you'll see him on the PP. Bouillon is only on there for :30-:45sec a PP, PK's been eating up most of the 2min so he's not really hurting us, mind you he doesn't really help either

jaffy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 07:34 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Fact: In :48 seconds on the man-advantage (@WAS), Emelin tied the amount of PP assists/points (1) by Bouillon, who played 100+ minutes there in the past two seasons.

Fact: Emelin had more points at the moment he tore his ACL, last season, than Bouillon gathered this season AND the last one combined, despite all the exposure MT gave him.

Fact: Emelin's sole PP time came as a result of Josh Gorges being in the penalty box at the moment of the man advantage and Cube being a healthy scratch. Coincidentally, he assisted for a goal and hasn't seen a single second on the power play since.

And don't get me wrong; I like certain elements Cube's able to bring, but he looks way out of his element, playing on the power play. He's unable to get any sort of shot on the PP, or, for that matter, anything that is likely to create a goal. He's useless there - he just passes the puck to Diaz and/or his forwards and camps at the top of the enemy's circle. A complete waste.

What will it take for Emelin, who's been a PP anchor for the national team and his KHL squads, to gain respect of the coaching staff? It's common knowledge that MT has a man crush and huge background with Francis Bouillon, but it is simply a case of injustice, poor judgment to play someone who's not fit on the man-advantage. I can't even imagine how frustrated Emelin must feel each time he sees an inferior, aging player getting crucial playing time over him.
Overall, I'd prefer Emelin on the PP over Bouillon, but Emelin has been back from major knee surgery 3 or 4 games, so I'm not too concerned if he doesn't get max ice time. I'd give him 2-3 weeks getting up to speed before challenging him with something new.

I don't recall Emelin being a PP anchor on any Russian national teams, he was the shooter for his KHL team. I think eventually he will have more of a role there with the Habs, but his first role is to stop goals and make opposing forwards pay the price. Just like Subban not being on PK, it's using players more where the strength of his game is.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 07:48 AM
FuzzyWuzzy
I'm still alive

Quote:

FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 08:25 AM
Devourers

Fact! A guy who played a few games has less PP time than a guy who played a full season!

Fact! That guy also has a point!

Facts! They are awesome

Devourers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 08:26 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Will Emelin make the Russian olympic team?

I hope he gets a shot on the PP soon.
Apparently he's a lock pending an injury. I'll find the tweet.

Edit: Here it is.

Slava Malamud ‏@SlavaMalamud 22 Nov
#Habs fans may be pleased to know that, barring another injury, Emelin is a lock for Sochi. At least, that's the vibe I got from the coach

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 08:30 AM
CGG

I assume it will happen soon. Don't freak out that he didn't go on the PP right away. They were trying to limit Emelin's ice time in his first few games back, having a back-to-back didn't help. As early as Wednesday I would expect Emelin to be on the PP.

The Bouillon era is over. Making him a healthy scratch last week was just another step in phasing him out. Therrien finally realizes that Bouillon is terrible, they were just waiting for Emelin to get back, then waitinig for him to prove he can handle the ice time.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 10:17 AM
Rock On

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
I assume it will happen soon. Don't freak out that he didn't go on the PP right away. They were trying to limit Emelin's ice time in his first few games back, having a back-to-back didn't help. As early as Wednesday I would expect Emelin to be on the PP.

The Bouillon era is over. Making him a healthy scratch last week was just another step in phasing him out. Therrien finally realizes that Bouillon is terrible, they were just waiting for Emelin to get back, then waitinig for him to prove he can handle the ice time.
That would make sense. I have to admit seeing Bouillon as a healthy scratch says a lot.

Rock On is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 11:12 AM
BRAD HABSFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsChanandlerBong View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffy27 View Post
You beat me to it....give him 10 games to catch up to the tempo, then you'll see him on the PP. Bouillon is only on there for :30-:45sec a PP, PK's been eating up most of the 2min so he's not really hurting us, mind you he doesn't really help either
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post

MT used FB in areas that were outside his 'comfort zone'. FB is a usable dman but not on the PP. Now a 2nd wave of Emelin and Diaz for under 1 minute works for me; use PK and Markov for over a minute and then 2nd wave.

That was one of my biggest issue with MT.

BRAD HABSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 11:19 AM
WakeUpNHL

Emelin is a lock for the Habs second wave PP moving forward.
He is miles above either Georges or Boullion on shooting and moving the puck on the PP.

WakeUpNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 11:41 AM
SpreeEndaz

I'd try Plekanec on the blueline during PP. Solid shot, great vision and can fall back defensively if needed. We have enough forwards to compensate the move.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
I'd try Plekanec on the blueline during PP. Solid shot, great vision and can fall back defensively if needed.
I like the Plekanec idea, if I recall correctly he was used there for a while. I would even try Galchenyuk on the point if they're hell-bent on not using Emelin much.

Hell, anyone other than Bouillon. And that's not a baseless dig at Bouillon, he's just not even remotely good enough to be on our 2nd wave.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devourers View Post
Fact! A guy who played a few games has less PP time than a guy who played a full season!

Fact! That guy also has a point!

Facts! They are awesome

Agreed with the posters who advocated more time for Emelin to gain game shape.

If he doesn't accede to the PP in the short term, his play with the Russian team may help his cause.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 02:02 PM
Alexdaman
Ferret Lover/Master

vCash: 50
I'm getting tired of posting on this board.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 02:16 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
I'm getting tired of posting on this board.
Need a hug?

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 03:00 PM
Alexdaman
Ferret Lover/Master

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
Need a hug?
Well it certainly sounds better than putting Plekanec on the blue line, especially when you have the 4th best PP squad in the league.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote