HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Monahan v/s Barkov

View Poll Results: Monahan v/s Barkov
Monahan 35 22.73%
Barkov 119 77.27%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-24-2013, 02:22 PM
29MacKinnon29
Calder, what's next?

vCash: 50
Barkov

29MacKinnon29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 02:25 PM
glassbangers
"I home."

Easily Barkov. He will be PPG center who is elite defensively. IMO Monahan will be Barkov-lite.

glassbangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Erikfromfin

vCash: 500
1 shootout goal from Monahan doesnt make him better. Barkov was better offensive and defensive than monahan in that game. And the guys saying Monahan is putting superior points he has only 4 more! Every other stat Barkov is leading. Icetime... faceoffs... plus minus etc... please watch some Florida games before cheapshooting at Barkov he doesnt deserve that. And look at the poll up. It has 75% going for Barkov i quess that says it all.

Erikfromfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 02:32 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Amazing for an 18 year old in his first month in the league. But a lot better than "ok", and better than Monahan imo.
Not a knock on Barkov at all, for his age I suppose it is amazing. So far I don't see much separation in their defensive games though.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 02:47 PM
tucker3434

Barkov

tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Loffer

vCash: 954
Well, look at this early poll-thread (put up by me). It should show how much the general opinion here is swayed by the draft status:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...289&highlight=

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 02:57 PM
Erikfromfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw View Post
This is a troll post right? Saying "typical post from ____ fan" and then saying "____ has been is and will be the better player ainec"? That made me chuckle. I guess whoever is taken 1st is always going to be the best player in the draft according to you since you seem to think Barkov will always be better than Monahan (and always has? have you watched both of them in juniors/midgets/etc.?)
Well this is the thing. Were living in 2013 and the worldwide scouting isnt what it should be. Barkov dominated the finnish elite league as 17 year old like no other player has and statisticly his best player to come from Europe since Peter Forsberg. How u rate players from Canadian junior leagues vs European pro leagues is hard. Guys like Thomas Hertl are drafted at number 17 and nobody knows of him in North America before he scores 4 goals. Lots of people saw how great he was in euro hockey tours etc here in Europe but nobody knew in america. If KHL was drafting all the 2013 players Nichuskin would have gone first overall. But it wasnt KHL it was NHL and they hype only the north american players. There was barely any coverage of Barkov,Lindholm,Nichuskin,RIstolainen and co for the draft. But thats okay since NHL is north american league and the teams are north american its okay that they favor North american players in drafts and media. Barkov has already 2 world juniors on his belt he played in alberta as 16 year and 3 month old and became historys 2nd youngest player to score there. I dont think ive seen Monahan play in those tournaments despite being basicly year older. Even now despite Barkov became youngest modern era nhl goalscorer breaking the record theres been basicly no media coverage of him. maybe because his european he has no pr value or its just the florida panthers. Despite lacking the media coverage his been fantastic for florida and nobody regrets passing on Jones its almost vice versa a lot would now pick him over Mackinnon aswell. Monahan has been great too theres no denying that put placing him over Barkov is simply ridiculous theres no way getting over it. Both will become good players but Barkovs upside is simply put superior.

Old
11-24-2013, 03:01 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida pwnthers View Post
barkov is and will be better. monahan being a year older is probably the reason why it's close right now

i wanted monahan leading up to the draft, but at #2 it was too early. looked into barkov and i honestly think barkov is better defensively, have better hands but isn't as comfortable in the NHL yet.

when barkov starts shooting, barkov will get ahead

its been 25 games, one playing sheltered minutes vs one thrown out to play against crosby etc (or is monahan not sheltered anymore?), a year older... maybe 200 games into their careers you could discuss draft status, but barkov was drafted earlier for a bunch of reasons
Monahan's still pretty sheltered. I think everyone is pleased that he's been so successful in the NHL so far, especially at his age, but nevertheless, Barkov is a little more effective in tougher circumstances. I think some of the other Flames fans are taking it as a slight against Monahan, when it's really more that Barkov is just incredibly impressive.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 03:07 PM
Loffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikfromfin View Post
Well this is the thing. Were living in 2013 and the worldwide scouting isnt what it should be. Barkov dominated the finnish elite league as 17 year old like no other player has and statisticly his best player to come from Europe since Peter Forsberg. How u rate players from Canadian junior leagues vs European pro leagues is hard. Guys like Thomas Hertl are drafted at number 17 and nobody knows of him in North America before he scores 4 goals. Lots of people saw how great he was in euro hockey tours etc here in Europe but nobody knew in america. If KHL was drafting all the 2013 players Nichuskin would have gone first overall. But it wasnt KHL it was NHL and they hype only the north american players. There was barely any coverage of Barkov,Lindholm,Nichuskin,RIstolainen and co for the draft. But thats okay since NHL is north american league and the teams are north american its okay that they favor North american players in drafts and media. Barkov has already 2 world juniors on his belt he played in alberta as 16 year and 3 month old and became historys 2nd youngest player to score there. I dont think ive seen Monahan play in those tournaments despite being basicly year older. Even now despite Barkov became youngest modern era nhl goalscorer breaking the record theres been basicly no media coverage of him. maybe because his european he has no pr value or its just the florida panthers. Despite lacking the media coverage his been fantastic for florida and nobody regrets passing on Jones its almost vice versa a lot would now pick him over Mackinnon aswell. Monahan has been great too theres no denying that put placing him over Barkov is simply ridiculous theres no way getting over it. Both will become good players but Barkovs upside is simply put superior.
Yet, Barkov was drafted at #2. Are you saying that scouting sucks or the opposite??

It is just too early to rant about this subject: they are close. Period.

Old
11-24-2013, 03:07 PM
Chris Butler
Feels bad man

Regardless of which player is actually better, most people will say Barkov due to his draft position.

Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 03:12 PM
Mika Zibanejad
Free the Oppressed

67's fan saying Barkov.

Mika Zibanejad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 03:21 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

The only thing Barkov won't be better than Monahan in is leadership. Maybe.

AKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 03:26 PM
avsfan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Barkov will probably put up more points. Monahan will be a better two way player though I think.

Defensively it's unquestionably Barkov. Monahan may close the gap someday but it's likely Barkov remains a tier higher.

avsfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 03:26 PM
LOLKarlsson*

Barkov does everything that Monahan does, and he does it better.

LOLKarlsson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 03:35 PM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
wow... really? we had to do this? i mean lets wait 3 years please... same with the Janko **** and the gaudreau ****...

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 03:39 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLKarlsson View Post
Barkov does everything that Monahan does, and he does it better.
Incorrect. Barkov's hair will never be as awesome as Monahan's hair.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 03:41 PM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida pwnthers View Post
barkov is and will be better. monahan being a year older is probably the reason why it's close right now

i wanted monahan leading up to the draft, but at #2 it was too early. looked into barkov and i honestly think barkov is better defensively, have better hands but isn't as comfortable in the NHL yet.

when barkov starts shooting, barkov will get ahead

its been 25 games, one playing sheltered minutes vs one thrown out to play against crosby etc (or is monahan not sheltered anymore?), a year older... maybe 200 games into their careers you could discuss draft status, but barkov was drafted earlier for a bunch of reasons
I think you mis-interpreted my post... I was replying to the guy that said "Barkov has been, is, and will always be better ainec". All I wanted to get across is that we don't know after 20 games that Barkov will always be better than Monahan (fyi, I slightly prefer Barkov over Monahan). It was just very short-sighted of the person to say that...

Community is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 03:43 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
I think Monahan is slightly better right now but I think like before the draft that Barkov has the abilities to be a better player in the long run. With that said I am more than happy to have gotten Monahan at 6.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 03:45 PM
Erikfromfin

Sochi Olympics group stage game 3 Barkov will avenge you Canadians for doubting! mark my words

Old
11-24-2013, 03:47 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Butler View Post
Regardless of which player is actually better, most people will say Barkov due to his draft position.
What if Barkov IS better?

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Loffer

^ As I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
Well, look at this early poll-thread (put up by me). It should show how much the general opinion here is swayed by the draft status:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...289&highlight=

Old
11-24-2013, 04:01 PM
FinlandPanther

I watched the panthers and flames game and I really didn't notice monahan at all, until his nice shootout move. Barkov on the other hand was all over and even had some nice plays and made an amazing steal that didn't get converted. Monahan is going to be a great player in this league but Barkov is just special. One he gets some better speed and balance he will be a force.

FinlandPanther is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 04:16 PM
herashak

Flames fan saying barkov. Monahan could end up better, thats not out of the question like a lot of people here think, i think if monahan ups his skating he will benefit a lot and definitely be a couture level player or better.

herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 04:57 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandPanther View Post
I watched the panthers and flames game and I really didn't notice monahan at all, until his nice shootout move. Barkov on the other hand was all over and even had some nice plays and made an amazing steal that didn't get converted. Monahan is going to be a great player in this league but Barkov is just special. One he gets some better speed and balance he will be a force.
Monahan has always been that way. He never really stands out but always finds his way to the score sheet as he did against Florida (although it wasn't a very strong game by Monahan). Monahan will never blow you away with his play but he has the uncanny ability to always be at the right place at the right time.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 05:12 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Barkov will probably put up more points. Monahan will be a better two way player though I think.
You have that backwards.

Barkov is already sound defensively and Monahan will likely score a bit more.

Barkov gets my vote.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote