HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

RFA Compensation?

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2005, 05:02 AM
Tra La La

vCash: 500
RFA Compensation?

RFA Compensation

http://www.canuckscorner.com/weblog/nhllog/index.html

Quote:
Up to $660,000 - No compensation
$660,000 to $1 million - One 3rd round draft pick
$1 to $2 million - One second round pick
$2 to $3 million - One 1st and one 3rd round pick
$3 to $4 million - One 1st, one 2nd and one 3rd round pick
$4 to $5 million - Two 1sts, one 2nd and one 3rd round pick
Over $5 million - Four 1st round picks

It's a little Scary. Dumont,Hecht,Afinogenov all fall into the second round pick range.

Norronens QO would put him in the third round pick range.

On the other side I think Erik Cole has a QO of 1.6?

This may be wilder then I thought.

Old
07-26-2005, 05:49 AM
krt88

Send a message via AIM to krt88
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader Zim
RFA Compensation

http://www.canuckscorner.com/weblog/nhllog/index.html

It's a little Scary. Dumont,Hecht,Afinogenov all fall into the second round pick range.

Norronens QO would put him in the third round pick range.

On the other side I think Erik Cole has a QO of 1.6?

This may be wilder then I thought.
However, teams still have the right to first refusal. Meaning you can match the contract. For Dumont, why wouldn't you match a deal between 1 and 2 million?

Old
07-26-2005, 08:03 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by krt88
However, teams still have the right to first refusal. Meaning you can match the contract. For Dumont, why wouldn't you match a deal between 1 and 2 million?
Exactly, krt. You'd have to up the offer to 2+ million and give up a 1st and a 3rd rounder. If the team couldn't afford to match that, or want to pay it... that seems like reasonable compensation.

start rant
Personally, I find T. Benjamin's commentary too histrionic for words. He's staked out his position that this CBA is going to ruin the NHL, when it seems to me that the NHL was ruined for him 20 years ago.
end rant

If the draft age is truly being moved out to 19 then I think this compensation scale is sufficient punishment for not building via the draft. With 19 year olds you're not going to lose them to UFAgency until 26 minimum, as opposed to 25. Moreover, the chances of drafting a bust in the 1st round have dropped considerably.

Frankly, as the GM of a mid-payroll, smaller market team I would almost welcome an annual poaching of one 24-25 YO to get to two 19YO 1st and 3rd rounders.

There's almost too much on consider and process at this point to make reasonable guesses as to where these new rules will take us.

It seems to me that TB is distrustful of change for change's sake.

Ta,

Old
07-26-2005, 08:49 AM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

I don't disagree with you outright... but bearing in mind how poorly the Sabres tend to draft, it's more than worth it to grab an emerging talent in exchange for a couple of crapshoot-at-best picks.

Also, I think that TB is generally correct that draft picks are overvalued. Yes, drafting is the 'correct' way to build your team, but the way this CBA is set up, there is a reduced incentive to developing talent. We'll definitely see less patience towards the Tim Connollys and Maxim Afinogenovs of the world.

Old
07-26-2005, 01:00 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by signaliinoise
I don't disagree with you outright... but bearing in mind how poorly the Sabres tend to draft, it's more than worth it to grab an emerging talent in exchange for a couple of crapshoot-at-best picks.

Also, I think that TB is generally correct that draft picks are overvalued. Yes, drafting is the 'correct' way to build your team, but the way this CBA is set up, there is a reduced incentive to developing talent. We'll definitely see less patience towards the Tim Connollys and Maxim Afinogenovs of the world.
Maybe so, or maybe we'll see less pushing the kids to play before they're ready. Drafted at 19, first contract at 20 or 21... entry level for 4 years. Why would you rush the kid up at 19 to have that kid play out of that contract by 23? It makes no sense unless the kid's a Rick Nash/Crosby level talent, especially considering that there will be more players available in their prime as UFA's at 26-27?

This is where I think TB is completely wrong. The average draft pick will be brought up at 21 where he is the most cost-effective to be on the roster and not subject to being plucked for compensation.

The Tim Connollys of this world will have more opportunity to develop not the other way around, at least that's my read on it right now.

Ta,

Closed Thread