HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Buffalo News: Satan done in Buffalo

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2005, 12:41 PM
krt88

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to krt88
Scoring concerns?

With Drury, Briere, Dumont, Vanek, Hecht, Max (hopefully) etc. I'm not overly concerned with scoring, as long as the league enforces the NO clutching and grabbing rule, though one more skilled winger would help.

I am concerned about our defense. We need a puck mover and a greater physical presence would really help.

Isn't it great to be able to really talk about hockey again!!!!!!!!!

Old
07-26-2005, 01:05 PM
Endless Ike

if we lose Satan, Zhitnik, and McKee this team will be going from "suck" to "blow" in a hurry

Old
07-26-2005, 01:21 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y. Orangeman
Call me an optimist, but I'm guessing Quinn is just using this as leverage and that he will seek to lock McKee up with an extension. Just a guess
I don't think an extension in the cards unless McKee is willing to take a further pay cut, or plays a lot better. I thought he was grossly overpaid even after the rollback. If other teams think he's such stud dman, they'll make him a qualifying offer. It'll only cost a 2nd round pick to offer up to $2 million/season. I don't think the Sabres would match it.

Old
07-26-2005, 02:16 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
I don't think an extension in the cards unless McKee is willing to take a further pay cut, or plays a lot better. I thought he was grossly overpaid even after the rollback. If other teams think he's such stud dman, they'll make him a qualifying offer. It'll only cost a 2nd round pick to offer up to $2 million/season. I don't think the Sabres would match it.
And for the record, I too believe that McKee is a bit overpaid as his role and effectiveness have reduced annually. My contention, however, is with management and the abrasive way they often do business. Jay may not deserve $2M+ per, but considering the time and effort he has dedicated to this franchise, he deserves a little ******* respect.

Old
07-26-2005, 02:44 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Not keeping Satan is a bad move.This guy is guaranteed 25+ goals a year,and now with new rules,he is hitting his prime and could easily hit 40 a year.

Old
07-26-2005, 03:01 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
Not keeping Satan is a bad move.This guy is guaranteed 25+ goals a year,and now with new rules,he is hitting his prime and could easily hit 40 a year.
Im so glad someone else feels this way...

Am i the only one who thinks Satan is worth the 3.9 million dollar qualifier for one year on the Sabres? Am I crazy? Regier should look at Satan as a one year player. you know Satan is gonna earn that 3.9 mil playing for his first shot at free agency. He's going to have to prove he's worth 4 million if he ever expects to see that kind of money again. in the "New NHL" Satan could pot 35-40 goals and 70-80 points IMO. i think Satan's situation is unique. He is just missing out on UFA. He is only 30. He's never had a serious injury in his career. He has a lot of hockey left in him. And his trade value at the deadline would be enormous considering his impending free agency. i wouldn't expect Buffalo to resign him if he was UFA, nor would i want them to give him an extension. But I'd sure rather have Satan at 3.9 than a has been winger and a mid level defensemen which is what Regier will replace his contract with.

Old
07-26-2005, 03:18 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame
Im so glad someone else feels this way...

Am i the only one who thinks Satan is worth the 3.9 million dollar qualifier for one year on the Sabres? Am I crazy? Regier should look at Satan as a one year player. you know Satan is gonna earn that 3.9 mil playing for his first shot at free agency. He's going to have to prove he's worth 4 million if he ever expects to see that kind of money again. in the "New NHL" Satan could pot 35-40 goals and 70-80 points IMO. i think Satan's situation is unique. He is just missing out on UFA. He is only 30. He's never had a serious injury in his career. He has a lot of hockey left in him. And his trade value at the deadline would be enormous considering his impending free agency. i wouldn't expect Buffalo to resign him if he was UFA, nor would i want them to give him an extension. But I'd sure rather have Satan at 3.9 than a has been winger and a mid level defensemen which is what Regier will replace his contract with.
But you have to understand that ownership is not assessing their options from only a hockey-related vantage point. The reason why they're willing to lose him now for nothing rather than next year for nothing is because they're trying to reduce their debt this year in the wake of the league's financial restructuring. Miro, alone, accounts for approximately 10% of the salary cap. Releasing him is a huge cost-saver, and I bet that money will be retained internally as opposed to being re-directed toward the free agent market.

Old
07-26-2005, 03:25 PM
MLH

This is all a little stunt right? They couldn't possibly get rid of the team's best forward (using a rookie as a replacement), let the team's top d-man walk (leaving 5 bottom-pairing caliber players in the top 6), and raise the ticket prices of the desirable divisional games all in the season following the longest work stoppage in the history of professional sports, could they?

I hope this is all a little charade leading up to a FA splash. Hopefully, LQ is just setting up Golisano by making him look even better in the eyes of Buffalo sports fans when they go out and get an attractive UFA or two and "raise" the budget in order to contend.

I've had the impression for weeks that we weren't going to look dramatically different when the season finally rolls around, but I also didn't think we'd be much worse.

Old
07-26-2005, 03:38 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo
My contention, however, is with management and the abrasive way they often do business.
There's no doubt about that. They view the players as assets to be used in transactions. Players are people too.

Old
07-26-2005, 04:57 PM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Assuming Satan is qualified, which i think he will be, and assuming that New Jersey's Jeff Friesen will be qualified, how about

Friesen and Sergei Brylin for Satan??

Old
07-26-2005, 05:04 PM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machoking2003-04
Assuming Satan is qualified, which i think he will be, and assuming that New Jersey's Jeff Friesen will be qualified, how about

Friesen and Sergei Brylin for Satan??
How about Satan for Hale straight up?

Old
07-26-2005, 05:50 PM
Rowley Birkin

It seems crazy that we are talking about the value of an 80 point player in this way. Only in Buffalo.

Who knows what we could get for him. Talent wise, he is worth a ****load. In reality, to Regier, Quinn and co it seems, he is worth not a lot.

Jame - I totally agree with you on this. It seems idiotic to spite a year of his services just because he might well leave next summer. Hell, if i was him, and the way our players get treated, i wouldn't want to hang around for long either. We have NOBODY that can take over from him, certainly not straight away. Vanek and Max have the potential to do so, but what with us getting Vanek, i thought that for once, we would have two gifted players on this team. Obviously that was too much to hope for.

Sure, he can fix the problem in the FA's. But what is the likelyhood he does this? And by fixing it, i don't mean him signing some 3rd/4th line over the hill grinder type, and then saying 'look, i've fixed the team'.

Man, i am pissed off about this, if ya couldn't tell already!

Old
07-26-2005, 06:02 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Who's available in free agency that can replace Satan? I haven't kept up to date with all the FA's but there cant be many that are in the prime of there careers still as SATAN is.

can anyone throw some names out there.

Old
07-26-2005, 06:06 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame
Who's available in free agency that can replace Satan? I haven't kept up to date with all the FA's but there cant be many that are in the prime of there careers still as SATAN is.

can anyone throw some names out there.
Nobody i can see the Sabres having a sniff of. If Miro goes, i hope i am wrong, and we sign a fitting replacement.

As for a couple of names:

Naslund
Forsberg?
Kariya
Demitra
Kovalev
Palffy

are the only top level players i can think of. I'm sure i've missed one or two. Theres a few second/third tier types out there as well, which might be worth a look.

Old
07-26-2005, 08:15 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

i don't buy this yet
same talks went down last year
tim graham's word isn't good enough for me
there isn't a single quote in there that comes off as a clear indicator
the cba is signed and tbn needs some sabres news
i'll believe it when he's gone

Old
07-26-2005, 09:13 PM
Drop The Gloves

He came to Buffalo a 40 goal scorer. Now hes barely a 30 goal scorer, whats up with that? I think we could get someone better with our money.

Old
07-26-2005, 09:49 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin
Nobody i can see the Sabres having a sniff of. If Miro goes, i hope i am wrong, and we sign a fitting replacement.

As for a couple of names:

Naslund
Forsberg?
Kariya
Demitra
Kovalev
Palffy

are the only top level players i can think of. I'm sure i've missed one or two. Theres a few second/third tier types out there as well, which might be worth a look.

My guess is they don't reach that high and go for Cory Stillman or Val Bure.

Old
07-26-2005, 10:05 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

no possible way we can... trade satan to ottawa and move up to the 9 spot... switching 4 spots. or anything higher.. to take a shot at someone. 5-10 range.

don't get all angry about the idea. miro has been a solid hockey player and i was dreaming of his full season with vanek on his side. drury up the middle

Old
07-26-2005, 11:06 PM
Endless Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres48
He came to Buffalo a 40 goal scorer. Now hes barely a 30 goal scorer, whats up with that? I think we could get someone better with our money.
uhhh...check your stats..he came to buffalo as a less than 20 goal scorer, blossomed into a 40 goal scorer and has averaged over 30 goals a season while a Sabre, on a team with a restrictive defense-first philosophy. On another team with less defensive responsibility and more skilled offensive players around him his numbers would probably average his current career best.

He's the best forward this team has had in a decade, and if anyone here thinks he can be replaced by the current crop of forwards, or a rookie, or that he is worth no more than a 2nd round draft pick you are out of your minds

Old
07-27-2005, 09:50 AM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-kai
uhhh...check your stats..he came to buffalo as a less than 20 goal scorer, blossomed into a 40 goal scorer and has averaged over 30 goals a season while a Sabre, on a team with a restrictive defense-first philosophy. On another team with less defensive responsibility and more skilled offensive players around him his numbers would probably average his current career best.

He's the best forward this team has had in a decade, and if anyone here thinks he can be replaced by the current crop of forwards, or a rookie, or that he is worth no more than a 2nd round draft pick you are out of your minds
Damn right.

Quote:

My guess is they don't reach that high and go for Cory Stillman or Val Bure.
I think you could be right. But i don't see any of these guys adding anything to our roster, that we don't already have. Bure would be interesting in a faster, more offensive orientated league, but so would Max, and a few other guys we have.

Quote:
no possible way we can... trade satan to ottawa and move up to the 9 spot... switching 4 spots. or anything higher.. to take a shot at someone. 5-10 range.
I don't see us getting anyone better at #9 than we would at #13. The talent drop off seems to be after #6, and its luck from there on in.

And there's no way the Sens could afford Miro, they will be strugging with the cap after signing Hossa, Spezza, Havlat, and so on.

Old
07-27-2005, 12:44 PM
Takeo

I'm actually confident that our offensive production will be sufficient without Satan and without a viable replacement other than Vanek. I'm just adamant that $-saved be used to bring in two quality blueliners. At that point, this roster will look very strong if not a legitimate contender.

Old
07-27-2005, 12:50 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo
I'm actually confident that our offensive production will be sufficient without Satan and without a viable replacement other than Vanek. I'm just adamant that $-saved be used to bring in two quality blueliners. At that point, this roster will look very strong if not a legitimate contender.
I agree with this 100%.

Old
07-27-2005, 02:30 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY
I agree with this 100%.
Same here. Addition by subtraction. The $3.8M we'd have to pay Satan is likely to be above market value in the new system. Adding Vanek will help compensate offensively from the loss of Satan but our biggest downfall last year was defensively. A lot of blame is put on "inconsistent" play of the goaltenders, but a good defense can easily make a goaltender look better than they are. Not to mention that, besides Kalinin, Tallinder and (possibly) Jillson our blueline is quite immobile. It would benefit to upgrade the defensemen's ability to contribute offensively without giving up frequent odd man rushes like we did last year with Elmre and Campbell.

Old
07-27-2005, 02:38 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5
Same here. Addition by subtraction. The $3.8M we'd have to pay Satan is likely to be above market value in the new system. Adding Vanek will help compensate offensively from the loss of Satan but our biggest downfall last year was defensively. A lot of blame is put on "inconsistent" play of the goaltenders, but a good defense can easily make a goaltender look better than they are. Not to mention that, besides Kalinin, Tallinder and (possibly) Jillson our blueline is quite immobile. It would benefit to upgrade the defensemen's ability to contribute offensively without giving up frequent odd man rushes like we did last year with Elmre and Campbell.
Rafalski. Rafalksi. Rafalksi.

Old
07-27-2005, 02:48 PM
Digable5

The way I look at it.

Rafalski ($3.5M) and Aucoin($3.5M) > Satan($3.8M) McKee($1.8M) and Grier ($1.5M)

Vanek-Briere-Afinogenov
Hecht-Drury-Dumont
Roy-Connolly-Pominville
Pyatt-Gaustad-Mair or Pyatt-Mair-Peters

Kalinin-Aucoin
Rafalski-Tallinder
Jillson-Janik or cheap FA

Biron
Noronen
Miller

We were nearly a playoff team last year. How is this lineup not better than it was previously?

Closed Thread