HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo News: Satan done in Buffalo

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2005, 09:16 PM
Slangston

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader Zim
The Drury deal right? Colorado-Calgary-Buffalo?

I don't remember the deadline deal?
The Jeff Jillson trade.

Boston - San Jose - Buffalo

Old
07-27-2005, 09:21 PM
Freezerburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slangston_Hughes
The Jeff Jillson trade.

Boston - San Jose - Buffalo
*shudders*

That was a good one...

Old
07-27-2005, 09:27 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Don't forget the Hecht trade (dealing picks to Nashville to get picks he dealt to Edmonton). On second thought... feel free to forget the Hecht deal.

07-27-2005, 09:39 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
Don't forget the Hecht trade (dealing picks to Nashville to get picks he dealt to Edmonton). On second thought... feel free to forget the Hecht deal.
why?

Old
07-27-2005, 09:53 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY
why?

Because he dealt two picks to Nashville to get one of the two picks used to complete the deal with Edmonton.

Old
07-27-2005, 09:57 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Quote:
Because he dealt two picks to Nashville to get one of the two picks used to complete the deal with Edmonton.
I am confused, so we dealt 2 draft picks to get Hecht and then another draft pick?

Old
07-27-2005, 10:45 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

from the 03-04 sabres media guide:

6-22-02

traded lw kozlov and 41st overall pick to atlanta for the 31st and 82nd picks in the '02 draft
acquired jochen hecht for the 31st an 82nd picks in the '02 draft

Old
07-27-2005, 11:00 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsandsabres

6-22-02

traded lw kozlov and 41st overall pick to atlanta for the 31st and 82nd picks in the '02 draft
thanks, now im no longer confused!

Old
07-28-2005, 01:01 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

6-22-02

- Vyacheslav Kozlov, 41st pick overall in 2002 to Atlanta for 31st and 82nd picks overall in the 2002 draft.

- 88th overall pick in 2002 and the 35 pick overall in 2003 to Nashville for the 36th pick overall in the 2002 draft

- The 31st pick (used by the Oil on goaltender Jeff Deslauriers) and the 36th pick (Jarret Stoll) for Hecht.

It's well beyond the three-way

Old
07-28-2005, 01:02 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

6-22-02

Funny that the Sabres media guide is wrong....

Old
07-28-2005, 08:33 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Bob Dicesare sums up what many have expressed in his column today:

Quote:
I don't see where it's wise for the Buffalo Sabres to part with Miroslav Satan before anyone has a handle on how the rules changes will affect the NHL's style of play. If Satan was worth almost $5 million in a league that repressed skills, seems to me he's worth almost $4 million in a league where the shackles have been removed.

The uncertainty surrounding Maxim Afinogenov, who might elect to remain in the high-paying Russian league, would make parting with Satan all the more risky. And I don't want to hear about budget constraints. The built-in 24 percent salary reduction in the new collective bargaining agreement puts the Sabres right in line with their payroll target. Nor do I want to hear about Satan's unwillingness to play for Lindy Ruff. When a player is in a contract year, he's not tanking his season to send a message that could undermine his market value.
From today's TBN: New rules make Miro worth price

Old
07-28-2005, 08:35 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Also from TBN.

MacArthur faces signing deadline day

Quote:
The Sabres by Wednesday night still hadn't contacted restricted free agent Miroslav Satan, who represents himself and is in Slovakia awaiting word on his fate. He said the lack of communication could be a harbinger of his departure. If the Sabres don't extend a qualifying offer to Satan by Sunday's deadline, he will become unrestricted.

bush league.

Last edited by Ruckus007: 07-28-2005 at 08:52 AM.
Old
07-28-2005, 08:48 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreHomer007
Also from TBN.

MacArthur faces signing deadline day

bush league.
Agreed. This smacks of the situtions with LaFontaine, Audette and Peca. Hell, it has always seemed like the thing that ticked Peca off the most was how long it took them to be in communication.

Old
07-28-2005, 08:56 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...28/1050466.asp

Looks like Bartovic is gone too...

Perhaps the same cannot be said about Milan Bartovic. Buffalo's second-round choice in the 1999 draft delivered an ultimatum on his way back to Slovakia after the Rochester Americans were eliminated from the AHL postseason. Bartovic was quoted in the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle as saying if he wasn't in the NHL this season he wouldn't come back at all.

"He'll be waived then," Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier said. "If you're asking him are we going to offer him a one-way contract, no. He's eligible for a two-way contract."

Bartovic, known for his incredible speed, never developed into a consistent scorer. He tallied only 10 goals and 18 assists in 69 games for Rochester last season.

Old
07-28-2005, 09:12 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Agreed. This smacks of the situtions with LaFontaine, Audette and Peca. Hell, it has always seemed like the thing that ticked Peca off the most was how long it took them to be in communication.
At this point, I don't think it's that big a deal. The Sabres have stated that they aren't announcing any decisions until Sunday. I think they're just testing the waters right now, getting a feel for movement around the league. My concern is that when it comes time to handle the situation, the situation is handled properly.

The thing that gets me is that Regier is once again taking a signing down to the wire. I'll be very disappointed if MacArthur returns to the draft pool.

Old
07-28-2005, 09:18 AM
N.Y. Orangeman

Quote:

I'm going to reserve judgment until I see what they have planned with UFA. I wouldn't be surprised if they still weren't 100% on what their plans were for him.

There are many moving parts these days in the NHL.

Old
07-28-2005, 09:23 AM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezerburn
These two points you raised contradict each other.
In what way?

Quote:
As for the number 1, I'd say it'd be more of a total team offense that would (attempt) to overcome the loss of Satan.
Bingo. This makes us far less effective imo.

Quote:
Would they sign with the Sabres? Unlikely, but you never know. The likelihood of either of those two signing is higher than Gonchar or someone of his ilk signing thats for sure.
I can see Aucoin having more interest than any FA defenceman that isn't called Scott Niedermayer. And our chances are unlikely, as you say. So the chances are likely that we don't end up with anyone of high caliber.

Sorry for my negativity. Jame, i will keep my fingers crossed that we get some top players in here as well.

Quote:
3. Pyatt deserves a spot. he's a solid 3rd line checking winger. who still has a lot of growing up to do and improvement to make. but he's on his way and a valuable asset. Timmy on the othe hand has to earn a spot. but i still have hope that he's got something to prove and the open style will benefit him greatly. maybe more so than any single player on the roster.
I'm sorry, i just disagree. Pyatt is soft, won't hit, has hands of stone, and isn't really effective at any end of the ice. With the depth we have, the most he deserves is a 4th line slot. And with his salary, and possible trade value thats a waste. Hell, i would rather keep Grier on the 4th line than play Taylor there.

Timmy has more to prove than anyone, your right. Do you honestly see him becoming an impact player?

Quote:
4. Kotalik has as much to prove as anyone else on the roster. one 20 goal season. and one 14 goal season doesn't earn you anything.
I am talking about player ability. And in my opinion, Kotalik has more to offer than both Pyatt and TC. Weather he gets the chance to prove himself is the question for me. I have no doubt that Ruff will let his opinion of Ales get in the way of coaching decisions.

sorry for going a little OT. But the point stands that this team is surely better with Miro, than without him.

Old
07-28-2005, 10:37 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
I was thinking about Satan this morning and it seemed to me that it makes sense to qualify him, sit down with him and try and work out something mutually agreeable to both sides.

Specifically here is my idea:
-- Miro's probably just overpaid at 4mil. But, with the new rules and what not, would be a good bargain at 3.5-3.5 mil.
-- Lacking solid information about why he pouted last season played it is irrelevant to speculate. But, during this meeting show some respect and work out a compromise. After qualifying him put a contract on the table for him to consider...

3 years at around 3.5 per.

We all know that winning cures a lot of locker room problems. Most of the trouble, I think, we've been having with guys like Satan and Zhitnik is their frustration over losing during the prime years of their careers and the uncertainty surrounding the future of the franchise. So, a small pay cut from Miro makes it easier for us to ice a winning team that will showcase his talents. That 500k we save could mean the difference between re-signing Z and not. Also, it shows him that we're comitted to him staying a Sabre (if he's willing to be a part of the situation), which is also an issue, certainly.

If we're not in a position to win anything at the deadline he can be moved due to his more reasonable salary.

If we are then the problem most probably has solved itself.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out a way to smooth over relations with an obviously talented player who's services we definately need, while leaving both sides as many outs as possible to maximize both winning and value.

At 3.5 mil his contract, I think, is an asset, not a liability.

thoughts?

ta,

Old
07-28-2005, 11:17 AM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip
At 3.5 mil his contract, I think, is an asset, not a liability.

thoughts?
I think his trade value goes up if he's qualified, but not extended. Without a 3 year contract, he becomes a hugely beneficial playoff rental that can be either discarded or re-signed. With a 3 year contract, he becomes a part that has to fit in the mid-range plans of the club we'd (theoretically) trade him to. Without the contract, he's candy in the checkout line, and we can probably squeeze a pretty decent impulse buy out of a serious contender.

In the light of morning, I still hope we keep him for the next few years.

Old
07-28-2005, 11:20 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo
At this point, I don't think it's that big a deal. The Sabres have stated that they aren't announcing any decisions until Sunday. I think they're just testing the waters right now, getting a feel for movement around the league. My concern is that when it comes time to handle the situation, the situation is handled properly.

The thing that gets me is that Regier is once again taking a signing down to the wire. I'll be very disappointed if MacArthur returns to the draft pool.
What is of concern, that Miro has still not heard anything? How about the idea of an extension (since the cap hit is the average salary over the length of the deal), with Miro getting the promise/committment that the team improves or he gets dealt. To work something out would have to involve communication. It smacks of Quinn and his hand-puppet, errr Regier, having made up their minds and that they are painting themselves into a corner.

Old
07-28-2005, 11:20 AM
Takeo

I'm more inclined to bring in 2 good defenders rather than Miro + 1 good defender. Although I don't think either is going to happen.

Old
07-28-2005, 11:23 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y. Orangeman
I'm going to reserve judgment until I see what they have planned with UFA. I wouldn't be surprised if they still weren't 100% on what their plans were for him.

There are many moving parts these days in the NHL.
I am having a hard time having any faith in that front office. Years of disappointments in trade, contract negotiations, commentary, and drafting have left me more than a little skeptical of their motives and actions behind their commentary about free agency.

I expect to see more of the usual, Joel Bouchard-ness as it were.

Old
07-28-2005, 11:30 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo
I'm more inclined to bring in 2 good defenders rather than Miro + 1 good defender. Although I don't think either is going to happen.

Well, Takeo, that's the point I think Chain and I are getting at. The way Quigier is doing Satan and McKee this offseason, what good defensemen, or any player for that matter, is going to want to come to this organization and be treated like trash when they can probably get the same amount of money or chance at winning elsewhere.

Quigier is dazzled by cap space and black ink right now and is completely throwing other aspects about professional business management to the wind. And it's going to come back and bite them.

Old
07-28-2005, 11:31 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
I am having a hard time having any faith in that front office. Years of disappointments in trade, contract negotiations, commentary, and drafting have left me more than a little skeptical of their motives and actions behind their commentary about free agency.

I expect to see more of the usual, Joel Bouchard-ness as it were.
As a fan, i can't help but hope that something great will happen (Aucoin, Rafalski, trading up in the draft, etc.) But as a realist i too am aware that Bob Corkum-ness is par for the course.

Old
07-28-2005, 11:39 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by signaliinoise
I think his trade value goes up if he's qualified, but not extended. Without a 3 year contract, he becomes a hugely beneficial playoff rental that can be either discarded or re-signed. With a 3 year contract, he becomes a part that has to fit in the mid-range plans of the club we'd (theoretically) trade him to.
And that's the enticing part. How many teams would not want a 30 YO top-6 forward with soft hands, good vision and is a perennial 60-70 point player in their mid-range plans at 3.5 mill a year?

My guess is a lot of them, including Buffalo. By making a commitment like this there's the possibility of salvaging the relationship and enticing some others to come here as well.

Unfortunately, as Chain keeps pointing out, our front office seems inclined to go the exact opposite direction. That's my worry.

Ta,

Closed Thread