HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Carey Price vs James Reimer

View Poll Results: Who is the better goaltender right now?
James Reimer 28 14.74%
Carey Price 159 83.68%
Too close to call 3 1.58%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2013, 11:07 PM
sansabri
au-delà du délai

vCash: 500
also, it should be mentioned - this is the second time Reimer got pulled this season.

but still, dat sv%

Old
11-25-2013, 11:27 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Serious question, what makes Price a better Goalie so far during his NHL career? He has only won 1 playoff series which was during the 2008 Eastern Confernece Quater-Finals. So besides that I can't see what else he has done that is better than Reimer?

Old
11-25-2013, 11:28 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

leafs fan saying Price...

but when Price is off his game hes just horrendous.

Old
11-26-2013, 12:18 AM
Canadiens Ghost
Mr. Objectivity

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyaces View Post
I can't find Carey Price on this webpage - someone help me out?!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/statshome.htm...=nav-sts-main#
Found him!

Old
11-26-2013, 01:01 AM
sansabri
au-delà du délai

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Serious question, what makes Price a better Goalie so far during his NHL career? He has only won 1 playoff series which was during the 2008 Eastern Confernece Quater-Finals. So besides that I can't see what else he has done that is better than Reimer?
not much besides being a bonafide starting goalie who has proven he can handle 65+ games twice and has been to three all-star games.

so... i'd say everything?

Old
11-26-2013, 01:02 AM
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style

Quote:
Well he didn't get reamed by Columbus, for one.

Old
11-26-2013, 01:09 AM
David McConnor
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Price is better because he looks more athletic and fluid when he lets in goals. Reimer is statistically better at stopping pucks, but he doesn't look fancy enough when he does it.

Old
11-26-2013, 02:35 AM
nashpreds

I personally think Price is pretty overrated, but still voted for him. Reimer is not quite there yet but in time its definitely possible. Both are young and still improving.

Old
11-26-2013, 02:44 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Serious question, what makes Price a better Goalie so far during his NHL career?
More ability. Better technique, skating, positioning. Three huge parts of goaltending.

I'll always be baffled what people come up with when they're drawing all of their conclusions on goaltenders based on team stats (yes, including SV%) and achievements. It does not work. That line of thinking had tons of people questioning Lundqvist's standing as a top-2/3 goalie in the league before his statistically outstanding season, when everyone with a remote background on goaltending knew it.

Old
11-26-2013, 02:54 AM
nashpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
More ability. Better technique, skating, positioning. Three huge parts of goaltending.

I'll always be baffled what people come up with when they're drawing all of their conclusions on goaltenders based on team stats (yes, including SV%) and achievements. It does not work. That line of thinking had tons of people questioning Lundqvist's standing as a top-2/3 goalie in the league before his statistically outstanding season, when everyone with a remote background on goaltending knew it.
I definitely agree on this. The best people at judging goaltenders will always be goalies. You have to know the position and how its played first to see the true advantages some goalies have and mistakes they make with positioning, footwork etc. It's really not all about stats, as most goaltending stats are pretty unreliable honestly.

Old
11-26-2013, 03:08 AM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansabri View Post
not much besides being a bonafide starting goalie who has proven he can handle 65+ games twice and has been to three all-star games.

so... i'd say everything?
To be fair Reimer hasn't got the chance to play 65+ games. In his rookie season he didn't have his first start until January 1, 2011, in his 2nd season if it wasn't for Brian Gionta giving him a concussion chances are he plays 65+ games and his third season was shorten by the lockout. As for Price making three All Star Games, that's something I wouldn't take seriously when saying he is better.

Old
11-26-2013, 03:11 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashpreds View Post
I definitely agree on this. The best people at judging goaltenders will always be goalies. You have to know the position and how its played first to see the true advantages some goalies have and mistakes they make with positioning, footwork etc. It's really not all about stats, as most goaltending stats are pretty unreliable honestly.
Certainly. I don't want to discredit opinions without goaltending background, and I've certainly seen many guys that have never put on pads in their lives showing remarkable understanding of the position. But it takes a different perspective than the superficial look at statistics or whether a goalie stops a shot. I can understand not willing to put in the efforts it takes to understand goaltending, and there's no shame in that whatsoever. Hell, there's enough head coaches that gladly admit that goaltending is something they do not get and have their goaltending coaches deal with. It's completely fine. But when it comes to these evaluations, people just need to be aware of how instable their basis is when they have so little beyond those heavily team-dependant stats. Those stats are the shinyness of the glass fronts of a tall building. If you don't know architecture, you are not going to be able to tell which building is a better construction.

(By the way, not so much directed at you, LF4E, who I quoted with my last post. Your question certainly is a fair one to ask, even if it's not a very difficult one to answer.)

Old
11-26-2013, 06:09 AM
sansabri
au-delà du délai

Quote:
To be fair Reimer hasn't got the chance to play 65+ games. In his rookie season he didn't have his first start until January 1, 2011, in his 2nd season if it wasn't for Brian Gionta giving him a concussion chances are he plays 65+ games and his third season was shorten by the lockout. As for Price making three All Star Games, that's something I wouldn't take seriously when saying he is better.
oh, jesus. still blaming Gionta for that accident. get over it.

those are all excuses. there is no 'to be fair,' here. Price has easily achieved more. i'm sure the Leafs brass acquiring Bernier falls under your excuses. gimme two seasons of Reimer being a full time starter and we can make the comparison then, k?

Old
11-26-2013, 06:54 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post

Well now Price has better numbers than both the Leafs goalies so they can't use that anymore.

Old
11-26-2013, 07:58 AM
Macslow*

Hahaha is this a joke? Reimer isn't even top 10 let alone better than Price. Talk about the hype machine going too far...

Old
11-26-2013, 09:15 AM
tony d
Giant Doctor

Carey Price

11-26-2013, 09:20 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Price IMO.

Old
11-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Mike Martin

Reimer is said to have a "rebound problem", he gives up too many of them.

I love the hot Taylor Swift avatar.

Old
11-26-2013, 09:26 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Well those are the breaks. We'll talk when Reimer is officially the number 1 goalie of his team and has played a full season of games. Price has gone through his growing pains in the NHL, in the limelight. He wasn't ever really a backup and he wasn't given much time to perfect his game in the AHL. He has matured a lot of the last few years and I think we'll really see what he's capable of. Last season was good until the half way point when the whole team fell apart. The new goalie coach this year is like night and day. Price is not working with his strengths and is more agressive. We'll see if this can continue during the rest of the year. Price also handles the puck better than 95% of the goalies in the league.

Reimer isn't a bad goalie by any means, in fact he's quite good. I just put him in the same category as Halak who for some reason never seems to play a full season either. Until I see that a goalie is capable of the number 1 job and can handle the 65-70 regular season games on a yearly basis, you can't really judge. Players get to know goalies weaknesses over time and we'll see if Reimer can get through night in and night out as a real number 1 goalie in this league.

We'll revisit this thread when Reimer has a full year of games (60+) under his belt.

Old
11-26-2013, 09:48 AM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryp37 View Post
It's called being a starting goalie, how many teams are going to play their back up 40 games a year?
So what you're saying is that unless a goalie gets 55+ starts in a season, it doesn't matter how good he is at stopping pucks. Reimer cannot possibly be more talented than Price, despite a better save percentage, because he won't start 55 games this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
I fail to understand why you can't understand this.

Halak, for example, will always need a #1B to play with him.

Price doesn't.

Thomas has never played more than 60 games in a regular season except for once, his worst season.
Did Halak or one of the organizations that compensated him financially tell you that, or is that just something you made up? Does he have a medical condition that prevents him from getting 50 starts a year? If he doesn't have a 1B on his team, is his arm going to fall off or will he simply perish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
Is this a serious question? I mean do you understand the concept of fatigue?

If I play 9 games in a row, will I be more or less tired in the 10th game than if I played 5 of the last 9?
How many goalies in the NHL have started 9 consecutive games so far this season?

The difference between 40 and 55 games, for a goalie, is an extra hockey game every 2 weeks. Are you suggesting there are elite athletes - goalies who are top-30 in the world - that can't handle an extra 60 minutes of work every 2 weeks?

Old
11-26-2013, 09:57 AM
kingdok
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
So what you're saying is that unless a goalie gets 55+ starts in a season, it doesn't matter how good he is at stopping pucks. Reimer cannot possibly be more talented than Price, despite a better save percentage, because he won't start 55 games this season.

Did Halak or one of the organizations that compensated him financially tell you that, or is that just something you made up? Does he have a medical condition that prevents him from getting 50 starts a year? If he doesn't have a 1B on his team, is his arm going to fall off or will he simply perish?

How many goalies in the NHL have started 9 consecutive games so far this season?

The difference between 40 and 55 games, for a goalie, is an extra hockey game every 2 weeks. Are you suggesting there are elite athletes - goalies who are top-30 in the world - that can't handle an extra 60 minutes of work every 2 weeks?
The difference seems to be there for Reimer. Since 2005 (junior) he had one season where he played 60 games (2007 for the Red Deers), then another season where he played 52 games (2010-11, split between Toronto and the Marlies). Then it goes down to 37 games and below. That's very few games in a span of 8 years. So his coaches seems to also think he can't handle too many games.

Old
11-26-2013, 10:10 AM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Price always has and I am confidently will continue to be the better goalie.

Old
11-26-2013, 12:25 PM
zeke
#freewilly

heheh. great timing last night, Reimer.

Old
11-26-2013, 12:33 PM
samsquanch9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
heheh. great timing last night, Reimer.
So Zeke, according to your statistics.. Has price now been the better goalie this entire year because his save percentage is higher?

Old
11-26-2013, 12:38 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

I'm happy with Reimer.

Closed Thread