HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Who is the one UFA who could make us an immediate contender?

View Poll Results: Who is the one UFA who could make us an immediate contender?
Kovalev 25 35.21%
Foote 15 21.13%
Kariya 6 8.45%
Holik 7 9.86%
Zubov 7 9.86%
Gonchar 7 9.86%
Murray 4 5.63%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2005, 09:07 PM
oli500

vCash: 500
There is a ufa that could get us over the top but you havent listed him in there. Mike modano. He knows how to win and he knows how to put up points. If we have guys like higgins coming and plekanec hes the one I want here to tutor them. If Gainey is targeting a ufa it could very well be him considering the past those two had.

Old
07-26-2005, 10:36 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert
I disagree with Nidermayer being overrated. He's probably the 3rd best defenceman in the entire league. Apart from Pronger and Lidstrom, it's very hard to argue for anyone else.

That being said, 7.8 million is very high, for any player.

As for the thread, none of those guys make us a contender. Personally, I just don't see any one of those guys being the "key piece" to a Stanley Cup. We had Kovalev last year and we didn't win. Perhaps a Kovalev & Foote combo might help, but no one player of that list would make us contenders.

In my opinion, the only available players who would maybe make us instant contenders are Pronger and Forsberg, maybe Nidermayer. All 3 would most likely cost the league max though. And realistically, none will be a Hab. Even Foote and a few others are unrealistic in my opinion.
I agree with most of your points. But I would have Blake ahead of Niedermayer in the Elite Three.

Old
07-26-2005, 10:56 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
I voted Kariya because in my sim game, him, Koivu and Palffy are 1-2-3 in league scoring.

Old
07-26-2005, 11:46 PM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
True. And if Montreal manages to get Mikkola and Korpikari over from Finland, the defense will be shored up and it'd be an upset for Montreal not to win the Cup.

Hilarious!! I remember waiting with bated breath for Mikkola to come over and be our saviour in the late 90's. Remember those days? Hoping that Carkner, Buturlin, Mikkola, Ryan, Chouinard, Ward, Higgins (Matt that is) et al would put us over the top? I sure don't miss Houle and Boudrias.

Old
07-26-2005, 11:47 PM
Corey

Can't anyone see that the Habs have more than one or two soft spots? Not to mention that Gainey still has to sign a parcel of RFAs. A Cup in '06 would be a long shot unless there are as many upsets as there were in '93.

Old
07-26-2005, 11:55 PM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
Can't anyone see that the Habs have more than one or two soft spots? Not to mention that Gainey still has to sign a parcel of RFAs. A Cup in '06 would be a long shot unless there are as many upsets as there were in '93.
I would say Holik and Aucoin would give us pretty good chances. At the same price I would take Holik over Kovalev knowing there skill level is nowhere close bu Holik competes he does not float. He would definitively be more usefull in getting guys like Perezhogin and Higgins ready for the end of the season.

Closed Thread