HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

TSN: No buyouts for Blues

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2005, 10:13 AM
crossxcheck

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
TSN: No buyouts for Blues

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=131477&hubName=nhl

Old
07-26-2005, 10:17 AM
sveiglar

Are Weight and Tkachuk off the books after this season, or do they have years beyond this one?

Old
07-26-2005, 10:20 AM
MacDaddy TLC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveiglar
Are Weight and Tkachuk off the books after this season, or do they have years beyond this one?
Tkachuk is on the books for 06-07 for 3.8 million

Weight is UFA after this season.

Old
07-26-2005, 10:23 AM
BwayBshirt

so if their payroll is around $30m, they pretty much won't qualify pronger right?

Old
07-26-2005, 10:26 AM
MacDaddy TLC*

With 14 players on the books for $24 118 000 and with Pronger needing to be qualified at $7.6 million, it looks like Pronger's days in St Louis are coming to an end.

Old
07-26-2005, 10:34 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Pronger should get qualified and traded. It makes no sense for them to get rid of Pronger but to keep Tkachuk and Weight. Someone will be willing to take him with a high price tag since he is one of the elite defensemen in the game. Someone like Boston.

Old
07-26-2005, 10:41 AM
Season Ticket Holder

Mark Sauer, Blues president has a great quote regarding buyouts (from tsn.ca):

"That's just cash thrown into the river as far as I'm concerned," Sauer told the Post Dispatch. "Let's not sugarcoat this, this isn't a fantasy sports league here. That's real money being paid. Some teams are being forced to do that. Thank goodness we don't have to do that."

Heh. That just gave me a chuckle.

With a team in the midst of being potentially sold, I guess the current owners don't want to piss more of their money down the drain.

But it really looks like Pronger's a goner. That will be very interesting...

STH

Old
07-26-2005, 10:42 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Pronger should get qualified and traded. It makes no sense for them to get rid of Pronger but to keep Tkachuk and Weight. Someone will be willing to take him with a high price tag since he is one of the elite defensemen in the game. Someone like Boston.
In a situation like that, what GM would give up anything of value to take that kind of a cap hit, knowing that St.Louis can't afford him and needs to get him off their books. 7th round pick anyone? Why waste all that time and effort for something minimal like that.. I can't see them qualifying him.

Last edited by shakes: 07-26-2005 at 10:56 AM.
Old
07-26-2005, 10:54 AM
Steve L*

So they have $24m taken up with 13 players, they want a $30m payroll so how are they going to sign 10 players including Pronger for $6m?

Old
07-26-2005, 11:01 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
They aren't. Just like the Sabres won't qualify Satan @ $4 mil. A 7th rounder is not worth the hassle.

Ta,

Old
07-26-2005, 11:07 AM
Season Ticket Holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
So they have $24m taken up with 13 players, they want a $30m payroll so how are they going to sign 10 players including Pronger for $6m?
With Tkachuk earning $7.8 million I think their payroll has to be higher than $30 million. If I'm not mistaken, no player can earn more than 20% of the total payroll, which is why the max a player can earn is $7.8 million = 20% of $39 million.

So, based on that, the Blues would need a payroll of $39 million to keep Tkachuk at $7.8 million.

That gives them some room to sign Pronger I suppose - if he's signed at $6 million (no clue what he'll get) that puts them at $30 million for 14 players (assuming the above quoted numbers are accurate). That leaves them $9 million to sign 8-10 more guys, which isn't impossible, although I don't know what RFAs and other UFAs they do have / want to sign.

STH

Old
07-26-2005, 11:11 AM
sveiglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Season Ticket Holder
With Tkachuk earning $7.8 million I think their payroll has to be higher than $30 million. If I'm not mistaken, no player can earn more than 20% of the total payroll, which is why the max a player can earn is $7.8 million = 20% of $39 million.

So, based on that, the Blues would need a payroll of $39 million to keep Tkachuk at $7.8 million.

That gives them some room to sign Pronger I suppose - if he's signed at $6 million (no clue what he'll get) that puts them at $30 million for 14 players (assuming the above quoted numbers are accurate). That leaves them $9 million to sign 8-10 more guys, which isn't impossible, although I don't know what RFAs and other UFAs they do have / want to sign.

STH
You're still confused about that maximum. No player can make more than 20% of the cap (not payroll) in a given year. Tkachuk can make $7.8M and you can surround him with $500k guys if you like; it doesn't mean you have to spend to the cap to have a max guy.

Old
07-26-2005, 12:02 PM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes
In a situation like that, what GM would give up anything of value to take that kind of a cap hit, knowing that St.Louis can't afford him and needs to get him off their books. 7th round pick anyone? Why waste all that time and effort for something minimal like that.. I can't see them qualifying him.

The Blues WILL NOT lost Pronger for a 7th round draft pick. There will be at least one team willing to take on his salary and offer something decent in return.

Old
07-26-2005, 01:08 PM
shayne

i think we all forget that buyout cost the teams alot of up front money, the blues ..

don't have any cash to buyout anyone which sucks if you are a blues fan.
this would be a good time to recreate your roster around some of the good young players and dump the overpaid underachievers.

Old
07-26-2005, 01:13 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
A GM would be crazy to take Pronger at league maximum. No team that wants to be a contender can really afford a league maximum player.

Old
07-26-2005, 02:00 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Teams won't trade for Pronger with his high salary. They'll just wait until he becomes an UFA, just like Satan.

Old
07-26-2005, 02:34 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg16
A GM would be crazy to take Pronger at league maximum. No team that wants to be a contender can really afford a league maximum player.
and teams that has the cap space wont be a contender so wont want to shell out the $7.8m on one player.

Old
07-26-2005, 02:34 PM
Checker*

However if Pronger becomes a free agent, more than likely there will be teams who want Pronger who'll have not much of a chance at landing him because he doesn't see them as a Stanley Cup threat. I'm assuming at this stage of his career with money being probaby about equal everywhere he's going to want to land in Toronto, New Jersey, Philly etc. Teams that don't have a competitive past but have money to spend may have their best shot at landing Pronger through trade. As soon as one or two of these teams get interested and the other teams catch wind, he'll have value.

Old
07-26-2005, 03:31 PM
Jag68Sid87

Pronger to New Jersey sounds like a possibility. They'll probably lose Niedermayer and Rafalski, and Stevens probably won't cost much since he'll have one of those new 1-year contracts with bonuses for injury.

I could see Pronger in the Swamp.

Old
07-26-2005, 05:37 PM
Plager05

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19
Teams won't trade for Pronger with his high salary. They'll just wait until he becomes an UFA, just like Satan.
And for everyone else who says this: Who do you think we'll dump for chump change if we can't find a decent taker, Tkachuk, Weight or Pronger?

Closed Thread