HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Outsider questions

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2003, 04:49 PM
cheesymc

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cheesymc
Outsider questions

Hello, im not a buffalo fan but man they get my respect in that they usually play with great chemistry... i have a few questions if any of you see the training camp:

-I have a few questions like hows the goalie depth going? whos has the most potential? is biron the man? noronen was awesome in the AHL and Miller in college

-do you guys need mcmorrow? i remember hearing rumors that hes one of the toughest guys not in the nhl

-your team has solid mobility, youth/talent, but is your team tough enough on the blue line (esp. without rhett)? I think your just lacking one tough dman (I think if you had the money and signed hatcher this team would be set IMO)

-if Maxim Afinogenov recovers, you'll have 3 great scoring lines with begin, mair, and boulton as the pest/physical players

Old
09-29-2003, 05:50 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesymc
Hello, im not a buffalo fan but man they get my respect in that they usually play with great chemistry... i have a few questions if any of you see the training camp:

-I have a few questions like hows the goalie depth going? whos has the most potential? is biron the man? noronen was awesome in the AHL and Miller in college

-do you guys need mcmorrow? i remember hearing rumors that hes one of the toughest guys not in the nhl

-your team has solid mobility, youth/talent, but is your team tough enough on the blue line (esp. without rhett)? I think your just lacking one tough dman (I think if you had the money and signed hatcher this team would be set IMO)

-if Maxim Afinogenov recovers, you'll have 3 great scoring lines with begin, mair, and boulton as the pest/physical players
The goaltending is really up in the air, but safe money is on Biron starting, Noronen backing, and Miller manhandling the AHL.

As far as McMorrow goes, I don't know as much about him as some of the guys on this board do, but I don't see him being any use to the Sabres this year. Peters is stepping up and Boulton is way ahead of McMorrow in playing ability.

The tough dman is something we are lacking. We'll just have to see who, if anyone, steps up their physical play at the blue line. A trade might become necessary; we'll just have to wait and see.

On Max and the lines, I agree. We'll have three solid scoring lines and a pretty servicable grinding line (Begin, Mair, Boulton/Peters). However, we won't have a real checking line, which will hurt us, at least a bit. We'll see how the scoring makes up for that.

Hope I gave you some insight among my many "we'll see's".

Old
09-29-2003, 07:11 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:

Most potential: probably Miller. I'm a Noronen fan but it's hard to support him after the way he played yesterday. Biron's the most known commodity of the three and will probably start the season as the #1 guy. I wouldn't preclude him losing the job if outplayed, but frankly I'm coming to doubt it.

Quote:
Do we need someone with toughness like McMorrow, yes. We might have that in Andrew Peters who's become huge and is fighting pretty much everything that moves. Between those two, you've got about 3/8 of an actual hockey player, skilled enforcers they are not.

Quote:
Agreed, hopefully McKee can get his toughness back but after him the best bet would probably be Zhitnik and/or Kalinin, and there isn't really any prospects anywhere close either.

Quote:
And if Dumont, Hecht and Brown recover, and Connolly and Pyatt take major next steps.

Closed Thread