HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

TSN: Niedermayer to test market

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2005, 04:34 PM
txomisc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
When he's playing approx 8% of your icetime, and doing so at an all world level it's absolutely within reason.

BTW 32 is far from old.
I didnt really say 32 was old. I just think that that 5 million or so is what the top guys should get if they want to have a competitive team. Niedermeyer is great and all but he is not really a franchise player. If you sign him for 5 and he isnt your franchise player, youve gotta sign that guy for at least 6 and there youve blown almost 30% of your cap space on two players.

Old
07-26-2005, 05:25 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc
I didnt really say 32 was old. I just think that that 5 million or so is what the top guys should get if they want to have a competitive team. Niedermeyer is great and all but he is not really a franchise player. If you sign him for 5 and he isnt your franchise player, youve gotta sign that guy for at least 6 and there youve blown almost 30% of your cap space on two players.
Not necessarily. Niedermayer at $5 million would be the highest paid player and they'd be one of the 2-3 favorites to win a Cup.

Old
07-26-2005, 05:28 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Not necessarily. Niedermayer at $5 million would be the highest paid player and they'd be one of the 2-3 favorites to win a Cup.
Fair enough. If you can sign him as your highest paid player and have several 3-4 million dollar players you could definately have quite a team. I wouldnt do it, but i can see how it could work.

Old
07-26-2005, 05:31 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur
I think that's in reference to buying out players without having ramifications on the salary cap.
It doesn't say anything about the salary cap in that paragraph.

Quote:
In the future, I'm virtually certain clubs will still be given the option of buying out a contract. But any money paid a player would count against the cap.
Other than your virtual certainty, do you have any evidence?

Old
07-26-2005, 05:32 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudeLemieux4HOF
but arent some contracts structured so that theres a team option for the last year or so and if they wish to decline the option they have to pay the player x amount of dollars, i could imagine thatd still count against the cap, but still leaves a creative possiblity to lock someone up like neidermayer up for 3 years at 5 mil a piece with a option for a 4th that you verbally agree to buy out for say 3 mil, hence hed end up making 6 a yr
There aren't going to be any more option years allowed on contracts.

Old
07-26-2005, 05:48 PM
Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks666
Could I see naslund signing for 4 mil? It seems crazy but yes I think it's possible.

naslund(4)+bertuzzi(6)+niedermyer(7)= 17 million for 3 players. A large amount but not crazy and allows the team to resign most of their RFAs just fine.
Snap out of it.

Old
07-26-2005, 06:42 PM
discostu

You can't blame the guy for trying. I'm hoping no GM is stupid enough to give it to him, but, I don't think anyone can discount the possibility of him getting the money. I can't see it being a smart move by any team out there, but stranger things have happened. He's looking to cash in. With the increased level of free agency, veteran players won't be able to pick up bloated contracts late into their career. He's looking to make up for his lost year in the quickest possible way.

I know I'll be watching his contract status with great interest. If he does manage to land a contract more than $7 million, it's going to put some heavy strain on the Sens budget to retain Redden and Chara next year.

Old
07-26-2005, 07:07 PM
canucks666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy
Snap out of it.
DAMNIT!!!

I was in a land of fairies and cupcakes and pixie dust and the magic rabbit was about to take me on a jetski ride through the lake of chocolate to the lesbian orgy beach BEFORE YOU SHOWED UP AND TOOK ME AWAY!

Old
07-26-2005, 07:19 PM
Master Shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc

Exactly. Hes no Paul Coffey. Hes no Franchise player. 2 way defensemen are alot easier to find then 40-50 goal forwards.

The whole point to this lockout was to reset the bar and stop all the insane salaries. 7.8 mill for Niedermeyer is about as dumb a signing as you can get. Any team that pays him anything over 4 million is handcuffing themselves.3.5 would be the absolute highest I would go.

Old
07-26-2005, 09:18 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

There's no way he'll get the max(no one will), and I'd say the max he'll get is about $6-$6.5 million. I figure $6 million is good enough for him. He would've gotten $5.32 million had he taken the $7 million, so he can't really expect to get a whole lot more, but just a bit more.

Old
07-27-2005, 12:15 AM
sublimesept

I dont see any free agents making more than 7mil a year with the new cap because most teams still have to fill half there roster. If a player does get that much it will be to a non contender trying to sell some tickets. You would have to be out of your mind to spend almost 20% of your cap room on one player when you still have to sign anywhere from 5-15 people depending on the team.

Old
07-27-2005, 01:24 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Niedermayer can have his money, he will then realize when he makes 20% of the teams salary there is no way his team will be a contender. He will realize like Holik did that money isn't everything. I hope his team misses the playoffs the next 3 years, then he can spend much more time at home. 7.8 million will be 2.5 million more then Martin Brodeur (two time Vezina winner and best NHL goaltender by far) on the Devils.

Closed Thread