HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN Is dead (Rogers secures 12-year exclusive National Broadcast deal with NHL + CHL)

Old
11-26-2013, 10:20 AM
StringerBell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Eventually. It will be interesting to see how long some of those guys are under contract for.
Quoting my own post here but Bobby Mac just confirmed that he's locked into a long term contract with TSN.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 10:22 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Quoting my own post here but Bobby Mac just confirmed that he's locked into a long term contract with TSN.
Compulsory buy-out???

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Nick the Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicY View Post
Surely TSN's top NHL talent, namely Bobby Mac, will make the migration? If not to Sportsnet out of loyalty, then at least to CBC out of practicality? I mean, they don't even have the draft any more, so that pretty much kills his whole schtick.
Bobby mac was on Team1040 and said he has a long term deal with TSN and is extremely happy there.

Sure, what else is he going to say, but interesting to see if his tone changes after one year of no actual games on TSN...

Nick the Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Wetcoaster

NHL has released more details on the deal.

NHL, Rogers announce landmark 12-year deal - Deal gives Rogers rights to all national games in Canada; CBC will continue to broadcast Hockey Night in Canada, TVA gets French-language rights
The deal gives Rogers national rights to all NHL games, including the Stanley Cup Playoffs and Stanley Cup Final, on all of its platforms in all languages.
Rogers will provide game coverage with expanded pre- and post-game coverage beginning at 4 p.m. ET on Saturdays and Sundays. In addition to its exclusive rights for all playoff and Stanley Cup Final games, Rogers has exclusive rights to special events such as future NHL All-Star Games and NHL Drafts.

The agreement guarantees that there will be no further regionalization of games or local blackouts. Rogers has three exclusive windows to broadcast any game involving a Canadian team -- Wednesday nights, Saturday nights (including CBC) and Sunday nights.

Viewers on Saturday nights will get every game regardless of where they reside and certain games involving two U.S.-based teams.

Old
11-26-2013, 10:39 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fa Ci La View Post
This seems rather interesting.

carly agro ‏@CarlyCBCSports 1h
Rogers will assume all editorial control-all editorial decisions with respect to the content,on-air talent & the creative direction of HNIC

https://twitter.com/CarlyCBCSports/s...15330911641600
Hopefully this means we see an improvement in the quality of talent we see on the broadcast.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 10:39 AM
StringerBell

Rogers also has the option to cut CBC out of the deal after four years according to McKenzie, potentially giving them eight years as the exclusive national NHL provider.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 10:41 AM
carolinacanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
NHL has released more details on the deal.

NHL, Rogers announce landmark 12-year deal - Deal gives Rogers rights to all national games in Canada; CBC will continue to broadcast Hockey Night in Canada, TVA gets French-language rights
The deal gives Rogers national rights to all NHL games, including the Stanley Cup Playoffs and Stanley Cup Final, on all of its platforms in all languages.
Rogers will provide game coverage with expanded pre- and post-game coverage beginning at 4 p.m. ET on Saturdays and Sundays. In addition to its exclusive rights for all playoff and Stanley Cup Final games, Rogers has exclusive rights to special events such as future NHL All-Star Games and NHL Drafts.

The agreement guarantees that there will be no further regionalization of games or local blackouts. Rogers has three exclusive windows to broadcast any game involving a Canadian team -- Wednesday nights, Saturday nights (including CBC) and Sunday nights.

Viewers on Saturday nights will get every game regardless of where they reside and certain games involving two U.S.-based teams.
This is a huge win for the fans

carolinacanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 10:51 AM
MAGICMAN1963

Quote:
TSN should have spent less time being the Toronto Sports Network.
Yeah so true. I!Will for sure miss the tsn tweetbox with markhmasters&jonastsn1050 reporting every 5 minutes when a Leaf player takes a crap.
Now are we going to be stuck watching more eastern games,,i mean Leaf games?

MAGICMAN1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Doobie Dubois

Great news.

Doobie Dubois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 11:01 AM
Nuckles
Bleed Assets E'ryday

vCash: 50
So I guess there's going to be more options of games to watch

https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/...58277581475840
Quote:
To be clear: The NHL's deal is NOT with Rogers, CBC & TVA... The NHL's deal is strictly with Rogers, who subcontracted content to CBC & TVA

https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/...57158075625472
Quote:
Rogers will also build a new "high-tech, state-of-the-art studio" to home all of its network broadcasts.
^ I hope this means better video/audio quality for its games as well.

https://twitter.com/hosea24hours/sta...75361476612096
Quote:
The start of the end for Don Cherry? RT @Zeisberger: Asked about Cherry's future, Keith Pelley only said that all aspects would be examined.

Fire Benning. Fire Linden. Fire Desjardins. Hire competent people.
Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Wetcoaster

Ad on Craigslist today:
[email protected]

For Sale - exclusive broadcast rights to one slightly used hockey theme song. Used by CBC from 1968-2008 until scooped by Toronto Sports Network - Best Offer (Toronto)

Excellent/mint condition.

It's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests unless you are offering NHL national broadcast rights.

Old
11-26-2013, 11:09 AM
Outside99*

Quote:
Ad on Craigslist today:
[email protected]

For Sale - exclusive broadcast rights to one slightly used hockey theme song. Used by CBC from 1968-2008 until scooped by Toronto Sports Network - Best Offer (Toronto)

Excellent/mint condition.

It's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests unless you are offering NHL national broadcast rights.
Love it.

Seriously fans win big. Rogers too - they get it.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 11:14 AM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Hopefully this means we see an improvement in the quality of talent we see on the broadcast.
Like more Kypreos? Or Doug MacLean?

I don't understand how people like this.

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 11:14 AM
Steveorama

Bad news for World Junior coverage...TSN will retain the rights, but how many elite hockey broadcasters will still be there to do the production?

Steveorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 11:17 AM
Nuckles
Bleed Assets E'ryday

https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/...84466056507393
Quote:
In addition to potential job losses at TSN/RDS (on & off air) over losing NHL, CBC will also be cutting some of its staff after this season

I seriously doubt Rogers keeps CBC for longer than the 4 years they agreed to.

Old
11-26-2013, 11:18 AM
Chris McKinlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
Love it.

Seriously fans win big. Rogers too - they get it.
For me it's quality over quantity. TSN put out a great product. You watch HNIC by contrast, and its a gong show. Watching guys like Ron Maclean get on a soapbox and preach. It's not for me. TSN brought intelligent analysis pre, during, and post game.

This deal is going to shape how we see hockey for the next 12 years, so I hope Rogers realizes they have to step up their game. It sounds like they are planning a massive overhaul, which can only be a good thing. Having a guy like Kypreos as your mascot, as opposed to someone like Bob Mackenzie speaks volumes. They need to acquire more Bob Mackenzie's and less Doug Maclean's. I don't need to be screamed at from my television. TSN never talked down to their audience or needed to rely on sensationalism.

Chris McKinlay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 11:20 AM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisReynolds View Post
I hate TSN due to the fact that they wouldn't stream their games online like CBC.
There's no way Rogers will stream, and I expect they'll kill any existing streams. Probably what remains of youtube highlights too. They're a greedy company (check your phone bill) who has acquired exclusivity.

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 11:25 AM
SonicY
Daydream Nation

I wonder what this will do to Gamecenter Live? I reckon this is the deathknell, probably.

SonicY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 11:26 AM
Wetcoaster

Rogers was the big winner, CBC not so much as they become an addendum to SportsNet with a four year sub-contract.
David Common ‏@davidcommon
CBC says will be job losses as a result of NHL deal with Rogers. CBC, which retains Sat HNIC games says "Not outcome we'd hoped for".
And:
NHL ‏@NHL
There will be no further regional games or local blackouts. Rogers has exclusive window to broadcast any game w/ Canadian team Wed/Sat/Sun.
CBC partners with Rogers in landmark NHL rights deal -
Sub-licensing deal secures Hockey Night in Canada and Stanley Cup final

Saturday night will remain Hockey Night in Canada on CBC, at least for the next four years.

The National Hockey League confirmed Tuesday that CBC has secured English-language rights to games in a sub-licensing agreement with Rogers Communications. Rogers has signed a 12-year deal with the NHL.

Rogers retains three exclusive windows to broadcast any game involving a Canadian team on Wednesdays, Saturdays, including CBC, and Sundays.

"Hockey Night in Canada is an iconic brand," said Keith Pelley, president of Rogers Media, said at Tuesday's news conference. "It is important to us that it will continue.

"We will continue to build the partnership [with CBC] beyond hockey."

Old
11-26-2013, 11:27 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholesickcrew View Post
Like more Kypreos? Or Doug MacLean?

I don't understand how people like this.
Yuck. Hell no - I'm hoping it's more along the lines of Lebrun, Mackenzie or even Ward.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 11:36 AM
carolinacanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicY View Post
I wonder what this will do to Gamecenter Live? I reckon this is the deathknell, probably.
In addition, Rogers will use its digital technology to stream games on the Internet, wireless and mobile devices, and satellite radio. Rogers will operate NHL Center Ice and NHL GameCenter Live in Canada.

carolinacanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Outside99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat View Post
For me it's quality over quantity. TSN put out a great product. You watch HNIC by contrast, and its a gong show. Watching guys like Ron Maclean get on a soapbox and preach. It's not for me. TSN brought intelligent analysis pre, during, and post game.

This deal is going to shape how we see hockey for the next 12 years, so I hope Rogers realizes they have to step up their game. It sounds like they are planning a massive overhaul, which can only be a good thing. Having a guy like Kypreos as your mascot, as opposed to someone like Bob Mackenzie speaks volumes. They need to acquire more Bob Mackenzie's and less Doug Maclean's. I don't need to be screamed at from my television. TSN never talked down to their audience or needed to rely on sensationalism.
Agreed. I disagree on Kyp and MacLean though - HC @ noon is very good and the most listened to daily hockey show I understand. The reason is the Producer: Don T.I. Panderless.

Old
11-26-2013, 11:38 AM
Outside99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Yuck. Hell no - I'm hoping it's more along the lines of Lebrun, Mackenzie or even Ward.
Ward is terrible.

Old
11-26-2013, 11:40 AM
Wetcoaster

CBC has no real money in this high stakes coup by Rogers.

Does the four year sub-licensing agreement mean HNIC is four more years and done?
"We're looking forward to working with CBC … to take the fan experience to the next level," said Rogers president and CEO Nadir Mohamed.

The CBC will not pay any rights costs for the broadcasting of hockey games on the main network, CBC said in a note to staff. Rogers will bear the monetary risk and reward of the broadcasts, too — they sell the ads, but keep the revenue derived from them.

Mohamed said the ability to partner with the CBC was a key part of the deal.

"I believe the CBC is great for all of us as Canadians," he said.

Hubert Lacroix, CBC president and CEO, said the broadcaster "was not in a position to spend taxpayers dollars in this game of high-stakes."

He added the CBC's deal with Rogers "provides us with a high-traffic place to promote all of our other fantastic Canadian content during a broadcast that brings the nation together week after week."
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...deal-1.2440326

Old
11-26-2013, 11:43 AM
Nuckles
Bleed Assets E'ryday

Ugh, just watched Sportsnet a bit to see Kypreos and MacLean be unprofessional as usual when interviewing Bill Daly. These guys are clowns.

Although it was funny hearing Jeff Marek say "Back to you Ron" when they mentioned the CBC I-desk.