HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Karlsson vs. Pietrangelo

View Poll Results: Who do you think is better?
Karlsson now, Karlsson future 42 26.09%
Karlsson now, Pietrangelo future 11 6.83%
Pietrangelo now, Pietrangelo future 93 57.76%
Pietrangelo now, Karlsson future 15 9.32%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-25-2013, 11:47 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

vCash: 500
Karlsson vs. Pietrangelo

Who do you think is better now, and who do you think will be better in the future?

Please discuss.

CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 11:48 PM
Jot
P.Kane = Kessel

Pietrangelo now and future.

I simply choose the player who is going to help my team win more games.

Last edited by Jot: 11-26-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Jot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 11:57 PM
Steve Doan
Re-sign Elliott

vCash: 50
Petro now and in the future. He brings as much offensively as Karlsson, just plays on a defensive team, and the defensive game between the two is not even comparable, especially this year.

Steve Doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 12:17 AM
6 Karlsson 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by We're Doan Here View Post
Petro now and in the future. He brings as much offensively as Karlsson, just plays on a defensive team, and the defensive game between the two is not even comparable, especially this year.
how does petro bring as much offence as Karlsson? Karlsson has already matched petros last years point totals.

6 Karlsson 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 12:26 AM
derriko

vCash: 4116
I'll take Petro this year, Karlsson (once that Achilles is fully healed) thereafter.

He's on pace for 85 points on a crappy team and still not 100%. I think next year when the Sens are hopefully better, and he is fully healthy he can be a great defensive player like last year and put up more than 85 points.

It's certainly a gamble, but it's worth it IMO. I also think Pie will fall back to earth offensively a tad. He's on pace for around 65 points and I think he ends with around 55. I'd take him over Suter, Weber, Subban, etc now and in the future though.

derriko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 12:33 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Pietrangelo now, Karlsson future. When Karlsson is fully recovered from his ACL tear, I'm confident that he'll return to being at least a top-3 defenseman, and arguably the best.

I really like Piets, though. Great all-around defenseman.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 12:40 AM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

vCash: 860
Not even going to vote.

Karlsson hasn't been great this year, although he's scoring at a point per game pace. His defensive struggles haven't been pretty. His game seems to be a mental issue right now, although his pivoting still isn't completely back. A lack of effort is also hurting him. He's shown he can dominate and take over a game this year, but most nights he just doesn't put in the effort.

From what I've heard, Pietrangelo has been awesome this year. Admittedly, I have not watched the Blues play a game yet this year. I saw him last season and the season before. Last season (to start the year), I thought he definitely had some struggles...he would either be solid defensively but invisible offensively or the opposite. He couldn't play in both ends consistently. As the season progressed, he improved and his all-around game turned into elite. As I said, I haven't been able to catch a game this year.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 12:44 AM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Pietrangelo now, Karlsson future.

No one in the league can do what Karlsson can. At his best hes on a level above Pietrangelo. We wont see this level until February or maybe next season... thanks Cooke.

Also, people need to realize Pietrangelo makes defensive mistakes like all dmen. He's not perfect.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 01:14 AM
Falcons93

Karlsson for both (Even though he's looked a little bit suspect in his own end so far this season, he's been good defensively in the past). He'll rebound. He's just too dynamic offensively for me to pass up.

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 01:20 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Also, people need to realize Pietrangelo makes defensive mistakes like all dmen. He's not perfect.
Everyone realizes this.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 01:22 AM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

Karlsson is easily becoming the most underrated player on this board. I'd much, much rather have Karlsson, he has the most unique skill set in the league. Would take him over any D-Man not named Shea Weber.

11-26-2013, 01:45 AM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by We're Doan Here View Post
What a ridiculous statement. Way to overrate Pietrangelo. Karlsson is still the best offensive D-man in the league, truly something special when he's playing at his best.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 02:12 AM
butteryslugz
L.A. Kings Fan

karlsson both

butteryslugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 05:52 AM
Micklebot

Karlsson is underperforming 9 and a half months after an injury that by all accounts takes a full calendar year to recover from. Let's wait 2-3 more months before starting the next karlsson vs young stud defenseman poll.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 11-26-2013 at 12:06 PM. Reason: commentary on thread worth
Micklebot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 06:04 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

Karlsson. Pietrangelo is overrated

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 06:59 AM
Nordic*

Wow. Pietrangelo is walking away with this one. People are always talking about the most overrated in NHL, that's got to be Pitro this season. Plays on a great team, therefore looks pretty good - not a stand out by ant stretch of the imagination. Bouwmeester looks just as good and he doesn't get any recognition in threads like these.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 07:29 AM
EverybodyLovesRay

Karlsson now and future. Pietrangelo is overrated.

EverybodyLovesRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 07:50 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Pietrangelo both now and future

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 08:03 AM
Montreal Shadow

I'm curious. What has Pietrangelo done to deserve such high praise? Why is he now ranked constantly above Doughty, Subban and now Karlsson? All I see from him is one really good season where he finished 4th in Norris voting and really wasn't close to a top 3 finish.

Aside from that he was mediocre last year and this year he's been playing really well by all accounts but it's only been 25ish games.

Karlsson won a Norris by literally owning the competition offensively 2 seasons ago. Last year he was widely viewed as the best Dman early in the season and after suffering a grave injury and missing almost 70 games, he comes back this year just as terrific offensively but without his once very good defensive awareness.

Subban won the Norris last year and killed Pietrangelo in pretty much every relevant category. Yes, it was half a season but they both played half a season so there shouldn't be any excuse. This year he's been close to Norris level in many games and has looked average in just a few games. Overall he's definitely a top 10 probably even top 5 Dman so far in the season.

What has Pietrangelo done? Somebody please, enlighten me. Don't tell me playoffs because the Blues have only gotten out of the first round once in the past 5 years and got swept in the second round when it happened.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 08:06 AM
Chip Chipperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Shadow View Post
I'm curious. What has Pietrangelo done to deserve such high praise? Why is he now ranked constantly above Doughty, Subban and now Karlsson. All I see from him is one really good season where he finished 4th in Norris voting and really wasn't close to a top 3 finish.

Aside from that he was mediocre last year and this year he's been playing really well by all accounts.

Karlsson won a Norris by literally owning the competition offensively 2 seasons ago. Last year he was widely viewed as the best Dman early in the season and after suffering a grave injury and missing almost 70 games, he comes back this year just as terrific offensively but without his once very good defensive awareness.

Subban won the Norris last year and killed Pietrangelo in pretty much every relevant category. Yes, it was half a season but they both played half a season so there shouldn't be any excuse. This year he's been close to Norris level in many games and has looked average in just a few games. Overall he's definitely a top 10 probably even top 5 Dman so far in the season.

What has Pietrangelo done? Somebody please, enlighten me. Don't tell me playoffs because the Blues have only gotten out of the first round once in the past 5 years and got swept in the second round when they did.
He's just the flavor of the month around here. When everything is said and done Karlsson and Subban are both better now and will have better careers barring some horrible injury to either. Run a poll 2 weeks from now and the results could be completely different

Chip Chipperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 08:50 AM
Fred Taylor
The Cyclone

AP now Karlsson future.

Fred Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 08:52 AM
LeMAD

I hate the Sens, but people in here are seriously underrating Karlsson.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 09:12 AM
Dean Ambrose
I AM A MERCENARY

vCash: 133
Pietrangelo is good, don't get me wrong, but I really don't know what he's done to get so much praise aside from playing on a very good defensive team right now. Karlsson won the Norris trophy and is a PPG defenseman, which is insane.

As much as I think some Sens fans overrate Karlsson, he is better than Pietrangelo and easily a top 3 defenseman in the league. He'll find his game again and people will forget about the defensive lapses he's making now (as long as Karlsson continues to make them vs. Montreal, that's fine )

“Trust your instincts, because you’ve got great instincts” - Undertaker to Dean Ambrose
Dean Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 09:25 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Only on HF does playing on a good team mean it is a con about a player. If you want to vote Karlsson, that's fine, but at least have a better reason against Petro than he plays on a good team.

Remember the argument that Karlsson and Subban care more and contribute more to wins because of their scoring...

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 09:36 AM
YellingOnTheMountain

Probably Pietrangelo but it could swing either way

YellingOnTheMountain is offline   Reply With Quote