HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL signs 12-year TV, Internet deal with Rogers | 22 Habs Games on TVA/TVA Sport

Old
11-26-2013, 09:02 AM
MXD

vCash: 500
You think the current coverage is political ? Be afraid. Hopefully Réjean retires.

I'm also a bit scared of what will happen if the Nordiques come back. This possibility might mean less than optimal access to Habs games.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Top Corner2

guess all those Bell Habs ads were money well spent. 24CH also....We will have a new name for the stadium...

I just hope sportsnet does a better job covering the draft!

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 09:03 AM
Adamcrazy3

Great news!!! More games for NHL fans. RDS sucks and I hope Gaston Therrien gets fired.

Adamcrazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ROSSter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZed View Post
Of course. 24CH is part of the Habs' exclusive coverage that the team licensed to Bell.
Oh good, the show is so well done this season. I hope they keep it up!

ROSSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZed View Post
This is just an escalation of the Quebecor-Bell fight over cable channels.

Quebecor created TVASports with the sole objective to beat out Bell (80% owner of RDS) for TV hockey market shares. Habs & Nordiques ownership backroom backstabbings & Bell channels cable bundles issues were the first shots fired. Now Quebecor won a significant victory.

Quebecor just basically increased it's reach across Bell subscribers by making TVASports a must have for Habs & NHL fans. That was at the core of the Quebecor-Bell dispute over Sun News channel.

It has to be noted though that it's the Habs' themselves that licensed Bell (ie. RDS) with entire coverage of the team *aside* from games. So the Habs won't get off RDS anytime soon.

One thing is sure: it'll be very weird to see Quebecor broadcast games on it's own channel... from the Bell Centre.
The RDS contract with Habs ends this year, as far as I know. But RDS has first rights to bid for the coverage.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
habdynasty

The league says the deal gives Rogers national rights to all NHL games, including the Stanley Cup Playoffs and Stanley Cup Final, on all of its platforms in all languages.
In addition, the NHL says the agreement guarantees that there will be no further regionalization of games or local blackouts.

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 09:04 AM
HABsurde

To sum it up, in french, TVA will show a minimum of 22 habs games, playoff, draft etc.... these are NATIONALS RIGHTS

the rest of the games are REGIONAL RIGHTS and may well be shown on RDS. which are own by BELL, which are part owner of the Habs....

Are you all 12 years old? it's not new, it's been like that before, at a certain point, they were hockey game on Radio-Canada, TQS, RDS and i think even TVA was showing some games at the same time

So RDS myvery well still be on the picture...

could not garantee about 24CH though

HABsurde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 09:04 AM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner2 View Post
guess all those Bell Habs ads were money well spent. 24CH also....We will have a new name for the stadium...

I just hope sportsnet does a better job covering the draft!

What are you talking about... There wont be a new name for the stadium lol.

Old
11-26-2013, 09:05 AM
GeorgeLebay

I was wondering.. With TSN loosing the NHL, anyone thinks this situation might help the return of MLB in Montreal ?

GeorgeLebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 09:06 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamcrazy3 View Post
Great news!!! More games for NHL fans. RDS sucks and I hope Gaston Therrien gets fired.
RDS is the devil you know.

Old
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLebay View Post
I was wondering.. With TSN loosing the NHL, anyone thinks this situation might help the return of MLB in Montreal ?
No.

But you can bank on Quebec getting a team in the near future (years to come). TVA is now a national partner of the the NHL.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Et le But

The NHL shows their incompetence again. First they snub ESPN (fully deserved, also guaranteeing hockey will never have the same mainstream coverage), now they allow themselves to be seduced by Sportsnet and TVA, probably the most incompetent sports networks in Canada.

TSN has plenty of issues, they were also the lesser of evils as far as coverage goes IMO.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gary320

Only thing I dont understand is that RDS coverage with Habs ends this year. Isn't it still up in the air, to who covers what next year for Montreal/French TV?

As far as I know, RDS has first bid.

Old
shutehinside

Best part about the deal. Rogers owns MLSE and TVA's Peladeau wants a team in Quebec.

Our games will be broadcast by our two fiercest competitors. Nice! :sarcasm

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 09:07 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLebay View Post
Dunno. But CHL coverage as a whole might end up being MUCH better.

Old
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post
To sum it up, in french, TVA will show a minimum of 22 habs games, playoff, draft etc.... these are NATIONALS RIGHTS

the rest of the games are REGIONAL RIGHTS and may well be shown on RDS. which are own by BELL, which are part owner of the Habs....

Are you all 12 years old? it's not new, it's been like that before, at a certain point, they were hockey game on Radio-Canada, TQS, RDS and i think even TVA was showing some games at the same time

So RDS myvery well still be on the picture...

could not garantee about 24CH though
It may surprise you, but some of the Habs fans happen to be drama-queens, making a big deal out of every little thing that infer with their lives.

Surprising, I know...

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Strik_IX
No excuses!

I know it was wishful thinking, but I was hoping that all 82 games would go back to Radio Canada once this contract expired as it should be.

I ****ing hate TVA sport and pretty much every Québécor media, it's pretty much "dumbass TV" then again "le réseau des BS" is no better.

How about some ****ing competence over $$$, I guess I'll add TVA Sport to the package, but they won't get 1 minute more than the Habs games. Heck I might even stream the damned game instead.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 09:09 AM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
The NHL shows their incompetence again. First they snub ESPN (fully deserved, also guaranteeing hockey will never have the same mainstream coverage), now they allow themselves to be seduced by Sportsnet and TVA, probably the most incompetent sports networks in Canada.

TSN has plenty of issues, they were also the lesser of evils as far as coverage goes IMO.

I don't know. Money plus the amount of coverage NHL will get in Canada is huge for them. Granted, Canada isn't a problem.. but on regular TV, you'd only get hockey on 3 channels on Saturday... Now we are looking at 6-7 channels. That's huge.

Old
jaffy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostriver View Post
Whatever. I don't care what channel games are on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassian View Post
How is this a bad thing?
It's HABS tallk for 1hr that may be gone, that's how it's a bad thing, unless you'll b ok with :30sec clip of HABS talk after highlights!

jaffy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Adamcrazy3

Everyone is pissed because they have to add TVA sports to their TV package. Bunch of whiners.

Adamcrazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 09:10 AM
Lebowski

I like how people constantly whine about how much of a joke (and it is) and cheap RDS is but get all up in arms when they lose some of their Habs' coverage.

RDS has very few credible people in its network, Denis/Houde being the only decent hockey people left out there, or so it seems.

Sure, TVAS is terrible too, but some competition to RDS can only be good for us. They've been holding the statu quo of mediocrity for too long.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 09:12 AM
akratique

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
You think the current coverage is political ? Be afraid. Hopefully Réjean retires.

I'm also a bit scared of what will happen if the Nordiques come back. This possibility might mean less than optimal access to Habs games.

NOOOOOOOO!

I forgot about Réjean Tremblay.

God, make this stop!

akratique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 09:14 AM
Timelord
Stanley Cup polisher

Quote:
Everyone is pissed because they have to add TVA sports to their TV package. Bunch of whiners.
I don't whine, I just go online.

Timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 09:15 AM
jaffy27

Quote:
I don't like Gaston either but wishing him fired is a bit excessive....maybe reassigning him is more appropriate!

jaffy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 09:15 AM
KoZed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
The RDS contract with Habs ends this year, as far as I know. But RDS has first rights to bid for the coverage.
Habs & Bell have been good bedfellows for quite some time now. The Habs' PR and market penetration has really increased with Bell, plus RDS paid good money for the games' rights. That being said, nobody beats Quebecor as far as mediatic convergence goes.

What I'm curious about now is how this will fit with the future Nordiques. Quebecor will be part owner, sole administrator and name holder of the Quebecor Arena. I'm guessing Pierre-Karl Peladeau will try to get the franchise for himself (rather than have it through Quebecor), which in hindsight might make his stepping down as CEO of Quebecor in last March some pre-emptive attempt to avoid some conflict of interest or something.

KoZed is offline   Reply With Quote