HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

NHL signs 12-year TV, Internet deal with Rogers | 22 Habs Games on TVA/TVA Sport

Old
11-26-2013, 08:18 AM
Devourers

vCash: 50
I don't get the TVA hate to be honest. Their UFC coverage is actually pretty good and I like their HD feed, it's quality.

They have Lavoie, Pedneult is criminally underrated on this board, that isn't to say he's excellent, he just isn't nearly as bad as people on this forum make him out to be. With how downhill RDS has been progressively getting year after year, I actually welcome the change as long as TVA can snag Houde for the commentary.

That would be the only travesty here imo, if RDS got zero games and Houde didn't call them anymore. He's the real asset to RDS. The rest of them other than Denis are ranging from god awful to useless. When Benoit Brunet is at the top of the list of garbage, you know your list of broadcasters is terrible.

If this means no more Langdeau, Bergeron, Tremblay, Therrien, Gagnon, Carbo (Guy acts like a neutered puppy around these cronies) etc, it will be a step up.

Again, not a big fan of TVA but they're primed to make a splash if they get the right people in and keep the wrong people out. Of course, TVA has their fair share of idiots too but you can't get a perfect lineup. Let's at least give it a chance before we all jump off a bridge

Be happy we aren't fans of teams that use TSN for coverage. Switching to SNET would be laughable in comparison. Also, this may mean TSN will have more CHL coverage.

Devourers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 08:18 AM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

vCash: 500
I know I was a little bit upset earlier, but I actually think this change is a great thing. Having 2 french channels broadcasting Habs games will create a rivalry between them and I think both RDS and TVA will have to give a better product, something RDS hasn't done in years IMO. If TVA guys sucks, we can do what we did with Brunet.

Still a sad day for Canada to see TSN fall like that, but Sportsnet will have to upgrade their product.

It's been 30 minutes since I heard the news and I'm actually happy about it.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 08:19 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! BOOOOO!

vCash: 265
I've only ever watched TVA Sports for their soccer coverage, and I really don't like it. I'm hoping RDS still ends up with most of the games when all is said and done. Both TVA and Sportsnet have A LOT of work to do, though. Hope they can get it done sooner rather than later.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 08:20 AM
KoZed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post
Are you all 12 years old? it's not new, it's been like that before, at a certain point, they were hockey game on Radio-Canada, TQS, RDS and i think even TVA was showing some games at the same time
TVA & TQS had Habs game (old Molstar thing). Was a different time though because they had the Nords to compete against for TV exposure; plus that was before all the TV companies & cable companies mergers.

I kinda miss the TQS games. Pierre Bouchard was hilarious as the color commentator.

KoZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 08:21 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierPsyCHiatrist View Post
I know I was a little bit upset earlier, but I actually think this change is a great thing. Having 2 french channels broadcasting Habs games will create a rivalry between them and I think both RDS and TVA will have to give a better product, something RDS hasn't done in years IMO. If TVA guys sucks, we can do what we did with Brunet.

Still a sad day for Canada to see TSN fall like that, but Sportsnet will have to upgrade their product.

It's been 30 minutes since I heard the news and I'm actually happy about it.
Hopefully RDS and TVA use the competition to step up their quality and not their sensationalism and nationalism. But I'm skeptical, especially considering one is owned by Quebecor.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 08:22 AM
FuzzyWuzzy
I'm still alive

I've never felt so smart for being a *************.com customer.

FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 08:22 AM
Seb
Michel Therrien

Yikes. Hard blow for CBC

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 08:23 AM
Tarasenko
Unregistered User

vCash: 825
This means more room for hunting in RDS!

Seriously, a competitive market is the best thing for us, consumers.
TVA and SNET will have more money, they'll do a cleanup in their current rosters and they will get the best from RDS and TSN (except MacKenzie it seems). Which is pretty awesome.

Tarasenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 08:23 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

TVA Sport is where the RDS rejects go to die and RDS isn't exactly what I'd call great.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 08:24 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZed View Post
Habs & Bell have been good bedfellows for quite some time now. The Habs' PR and market penetration has really increased with Bell, plus RDS paid good money for the games' rights. That being said, nobody beats Quebecor as far as mediatic convergence goes.

What I'm curious about now is how this will fit with the future Nordiques. Quebecor will be part owner, sole administrator and name holder of the Quebecor Arena. I'm guessing Pierre-Karl Peladeau will try to get the franchise for himself (rather than have it through Quebecor), which in hindsight might make his stepping down as CEO of Quebecor in last March some pre-emptive attempt to avoid some conflict of interest or something.
The stepdown had more to do with his "political" ambitions IMO.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 08:25 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post
Could the fact that Rogers owns 37.5% of Maple Leafs Sports Entertainment have anything to do with that...
No because Bell also owns that much of MLSE.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KoZed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devourers View Post
I don't get the TVA hate to be honest. Their UFC coverage is actually pretty good and I like their HD feed, it's quality.
I think it's because people compare a network who has only 1 year of existence with one that has 25+ years of experience.

For all the supposed experience RDS has, they often **** up. Plus I don't find their Habs' games production to be that great. Not enough crowd/ice-level noise & cheap graphics.

KoZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gary320

No one is happier than Renaud Lavoie right now. He made such a gutsy move this summer by switching to TVA Sports. Now it looks like he made the BEST decision.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 08:26 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
No one is happier than Renaud Lavoie right now. He made such a gutsy move this summer by switching to TVA Sports. Now it looks like he made the BEST decision.
I'm sure he knew something the rest of us didn't.

Old
11-26-2013, 08:26 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
TVA Sport is where the RDS rejects go to die and RDS isn't exactly what I'd call great.
TVA Sports are RDS and ex-TQS rejects and RDS are NHL rejects. RDS still a little bit better mostly because of Pierre Houde, Marc Denis, Damphousse and that's about it.

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 08:27 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
Don't credit me for that, but TVA Sports is a bit like the WCW of old who would overpay to hire wrestlers that were fired by the then-WWF.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZed View Post
Habs & Bell have been good bedfellows for quite some time now. The Habs' PR and market penetration has really increased with Bell, plus RDS paid good money for the games' rights. That being said, nobody beats Quebecor as far as mediatic convergence goes.

What I'm curious about now is how this will fit with the future Nordiques. Quebecor will be part owner, sole administrator and name holder of the Quebecor Arena. I'm guessing Pierre-Karl Peladeau will try to get the franchise for himself (rather than have it through Quebecor), which in hindsight might make his stepping down as CEO of Quebecor in last March some pre-emptive attempt to avoid some conflict of interest or something.
As someone who lives in Québec city, if we somehow get an NHL team in the future I will be done with this league. I hope Bettman will never allow this.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gary320

So apparently the other 60 Habs games are still in the air.

Quote:
Francois Gagnon ‏@GagnonFrancois 2m
Les 60 matchs régionaux appartiennent au #CH qui pourra les vendre à qui il voudra: RDS? TVA? SRC? Habs-TV? on devrait être fixé aujourd'hui
But as far as I know, RDS has first bids.

Old
11-26-2013, 08:28 AM
BigHabs

According to the chart of programming that the NHL on twitter.

NHL center ICE will most likely not even be needed anymore.

Seems City TV will be playing English Habs games. Sportsnet will be playing all different teams even the American teams.

So would NHL center ice be scrapped almost?

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 08:28 AM
Habsterix*

Well, Gary Bettman has found a new way to screw Canadian hockey fans...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 08:29 AM
Et le But

So with TSN shut out, does this mean no more local English feeds? That sucks, I actually thought TSN did a good job with them.

Old
HomaridII

Francois Gagnon ‏@GagnonFrancois 1m
That's my understanding yes @garytalmeida: Doesn't the RDS/Habs TV deal end this year? The other 60 games will still be up for battle right?

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Well, Gary Bettman has found a new way to screw Canadian hockey fans...
How?

By giving us more hockey?

Old
Seb
Michel Therrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
So apparently the other 60 Habs games are still in the air.

But as far as I know, RDS has first bids.
RDS is owned by Bell, Habs are owned by Bell. the games will go to RDS.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 08:30 AM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Francois Gagnon ‏@GagnonFrancois 1m
That's my understanding yes @garytalmeida: Doesn't the RDS/Habs TV deal end this year? The other 60 games will still be up for battle right?
Look, it's me!!!