HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Forsberg vs. Lindros

View Poll Results: Forsberg vs. Lindros
Peter Forsberg 79 58.09%
Eric Lindros 57 41.91%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-26-2013, 09:51 AM
  #1
Fred Taylor
The Cyclone
 
Fred Taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,899
vCash: 500
Forsberg vs. Lindros

Who was better in their primes? Here's a little analysis.

Peter Forsberg: Top ten points finishes, 1, 2, 4, 5, 9. Top ten points per game finishes, 1, 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 6, 9.

Playoffs 95-06: GP 139 G 61 A 101 PTS 162. 1.17 PPG.

Eric Lindros: Top ten points finishes, 1, 6, 7. Top ten points per game finishes, 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 6, 9, 9.

Playoffs 95-00: GP 50 G 24 A 33 PTS 57. 1.14 PPG.

Also worth noting that Forsberg lead the playoffs in points per game 3 times, Lindros finished second once.

It looks to me like Forsberg has the edge in all 3 categories. I for some reason expected Lindros to have the edge in regular season points per game finishes, but he doesn't, it's rather even actually, with just a slight edge to Forsberg.

This, plus the eye test, makes me choose Forsberg ever so slightly.

Fred Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 10:02 AM
  #2
the_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,840
vCash: 500
When Forsberg was healthy he was just the best player in the world.

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 11:22 AM
  #3
mach777
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 563
vCash: 500
Interesting but recurring poll.

Interesting because both had incredible peaks and careers cut short by injury.

I'm not going by stats, since I saw both play from beginning to end.

Lindros was a thoroughbred racehorse that dictated the game and the play when he was on the ice, from day one. The LoD line was big, fast and skilled. One of the best lines ever assembled for sure, LeClair/Lindros/Renberg where the sum turned out much greater than the parts.

The Legion of Doom line (such a cool name) had that physical intimidating quality about them, like the defense had a plan, but (to quote Mike Tyson); everyone has a plan until they get hit. LoD could do that.

Lindros made that line happen and was quite simply one of the best to ever play. He was huge, nasty and had both speed and hands.

Forsberg, forever connected to Lindros through that quebec trade entered the league more of an underdog. Lindros was expected to lead while Forsberg could ease into the league behind Sakic. The nordiques did well during his rookie year and the next year they turned into the powerhouse The Avs. Forsberg played second line most of his career, though you could argue that the avs ran two first lines.

Lindros was certainly the star, with Forsberg the underdog. Forsberg however had that "can't keep a good man down" going on and seemed to find a way to elevate his game when it mattered.

I'd be tempted to pick prime Lindros because of his physicality and exciting playstyle. Will we ever see anyone like him again? I don't know, he was so special.

On the other hand, prime Forsberg was scary too, through will and determination coupled with insane talent.

overtime game 7, finals, faceoff. Which one would I choose? Heck I can't say.

I -can- say that I wonder what prime Lindros/Forsberg would do if they were let loose in the NHL of today. For me they are two of the best players to ever play the game.


Check 1:14....


Last edited by mach777: 11-26-2013 at 11:42 AM.
mach777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 11:50 AM
  #4
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march
 
PensBandwagonerNo272's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,796
vCash: 450
Forsberg is my favorite player all-time but I have to give a slight edge to Lindros

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 12:04 PM
  #5
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Q'onoS
Country: Canary Islands
Posts: 2,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
When Forsberg was healthy he was just the best player in the world.
How does this not apply to Lindros?

BudMovin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 12:31 PM
  #6
WildcatMapleLeafs28
Registered User
 
WildcatMapleLeafs28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,956
vCash: 500
Eric Lindros.

He brought a lot more to a game than just points.

Stats are a little misleading when comparing these two.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 12:51 PM
  #7
Fred Taylor
The Cyclone
 
Fred Taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
Eric Lindros.

He brought a lot more to a game than just points.

Stats are a little misleading when comparing these two.
Wait... and Forsberg didn't? Forsberg was better defensively than Lindros, he was better in the playoffs, he couldn't hit or fight like Lindros, but he was known to lay some pretty punishing hits himself.

If anything, what Lindros has in his favour are goals (by far), faceoffs (by far), and raw point totals. It's not like these stats I posted are at all misleading, they appear to be pretty even when watching them, and appear to be pretty even based on point finishes and ppg in the playoffs in their primes. I use point finishes rather than raw or adjusted stats, as they give you a bit of a clearer picture IMO. I saw both of their whole careers, and I could still hardly choose between the two, and while I don't need the stats to form an opinion, they atleast help justify it.


Last edited by Fred Taylor: 11-26-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Fred Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 02:01 PM
  #8
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes
 
Daley Tarasenkshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: St. Louis MO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,647
vCash: 1075
I guess I'm in the minority to vote Lindros.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 02:08 PM
  #9
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 39,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach777
overtime game 7, finals, faceoff. Which one would I choose? Heck I can't say.
If this is your criteria, I think it's Forsberg in a landslide. Lindros tended to get shut down (or at least slowed down) in the playoffs against teams with defensive schemes and defensemen he couldn't just bowl through, while Forsberg really wasn't.

Edit: Unless you mean who you'd take to win the faceoffs, because Forsberg was never all that great at them

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 02:13 PM
  #10
mach777
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
If this is your criteria, I think it's Forsberg in a landslide. Lindros tended to get shut down (or at least slowed down) in the playoffs against teams with defensive schemes and defensemen he couldn't just bowl through, while Forsberg really wasn't.

Edit: Unless you mean who you'd take to win the faceoffs, because Forsberg was never all that great at them
Maybe you're right, but I dunno... The impression I have is that Lindros was never the underdog.

Voted Lindros btw, while Forsberg is my fav. player to ever play.

mach777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 03:08 PM
  #11
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
If this is your criteria, I think it's Forsberg in a landslide. Lindros tended to get shut down (or at least slowed down) in the playoffs against teams with defensive schemes and defensemen he couldn't just bowl through, while Forsberg really wasn't.

Edit: Unless you mean who you'd take to win the faceoffs, because Forsberg was never all that great at them

You bring that up every time Lindros' name is brought up.

Do you mean that one time he lost a series to the eventual Cup champion Devils? He was 21 years old and did manage 5 points in the 6 games (as well as scoring the OT winner in one of the two Flyers wins).

Panthers in 96? 6 points out of 11 goals for the team. Beezer was playing out of his mind, though.

Or do you mean that one time where he had a long playoff run, led the playoffs in scoring, and ran into a team that was the closest thing we've seen to a dynasty in the last 20 years? He was in on 50% of his teams offense in the series. They were outmatched.

Due to injury and everything else Lindros only had 3 significant playoff runs. And he played well in all of them.

There isn't enough there to say there was a tendency.


All that said, I think healthy and at their best it is close but Lindros.

As it turned out I think it is safe to say Forsberg.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 03:18 PM
  #12
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 39,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
You bring that up every time Lindros' name is brought up.

Do you mean that one time he lost a series to the eventual Cup champion Devils? He was 21 years old and did manage 5 points in the 6 games (as well as scoring the OT winner in one of the two Flyers wins).

Panthers in 96? 6 points out of 11 goals for the team. Beezer was playing out of his mind, though.

Or do you mean that one time where he had a long playoff run, led the playoffs in scoring, and ran into a team that was the closest thing we've seen to a dynasty in the last 20 years? He was in on 50% of his teams offense in the series. They were outmatched.

Due to injury and everything else Lindros only had 3 significant playoff runs. And he played well in all of them.

There isn't enough there to say there was a tendency.


All that said, I think healthy and at their best it is close but Lindros.

As it turned out I think it is safe to say Forsberg.
Yes, I'm talking about the 1995, 1996, and 1997 playoffs.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 03:23 PM
  #13
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Yes, I'm talking about the 1995, 1996, and 1997 playoffs.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, then

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 03:29 PM
  #14
flyin_finn
Fighter Jet Pilot
 
flyin_finn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,034
vCash: 500
Their career games, point totals and individual achievements are surprisingly similar.

I'd rather take 6'4" / 240 good player than 6'0 / 210 good player - so voted Lindros.

flyin_finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 03:33 PM
  #15
The Red Line
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
When Forsberg was healthy he was just the best player in the world.


Sooo much fail in such a small post.


A. Lindros had WORSE health problems than Forsberg.
B. When healthy Lindros WAS healthy he was clearly superior to Forsberg's best.
C. Forsberg was NEVER, EVER the best player in the world, that statement is ridiculous.

The Red Line is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 03:36 PM
  #16
mach777
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Line View Post


Sooo much fail in such a small post.


A. Lindros had WORSE health problems than Forsberg.
B. When healthy Lindros WAS healthy he was clearly superior to Forsberg's best.
C. Forsberg was NEVER, EVER the best player in the world, that statement is ridiculous.
A. I'd say they both had career ending injurirs.
B. On what count?
C. Forsberg won the hart 2003.

mach777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 04:57 PM
  #17
cgf
Registered User
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,827
vCash: 500
Lindros was more physically dominant by a bit, but Foppa was more skilled, cultured and better defensively. That's why when Lindros ran into a brilliant Niklas Lidstrom he was shut down, while Foppa was able to adapt his game and deal with lidstrom's positioning, smoothness and stickwork. That versatility is why I voted for Peter.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 05:03 PM
  #18
Cedream
Registered User
 
Cedream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Saint-Eustache
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
Forsberg all the way.

Im a little biase still hes my fav player

Cedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 05:19 PM
  #19
Lauro
Teeder
 
Lauro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Berlin
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,196
vCash: 500
Biased. Loved Lindros, hated Forsberg.

Lauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 05:20 PM
  #20
cgf
Registered User
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Taylor View Post
Wait... and Forsberg didn't? Forsberg was better defensively than Lindros, he was better in the playoffs, he couldn't hit or fight like Lindros, but he was known to lay some pretty punishing hits himself.

If anything, what Lindros has in his favour are goals (by far), faceoffs (by far), and raw point totals. It's not like these stats I posted are at all misleading, they appear to be pretty even when watching them, and appear to be pretty even based on point finishes and ppg in the playoffs in their primes. I use point finishes rather than raw or adjusted stats, as they give you a bit of a clearer picture IMO. I saw both of their whole careers, and I could still hardly choose between the two, and while I don't need the stats to form an opinion, they atleast help justify it.
As brutal as Lindros was, and the man is one of the greatest players to play the game, I don't even know if I'd say he has an hitting advantage over foppa, Forsberg had a lot of just bonejarring hits of his own and is one of the greatest counter-hitters the game has ever seen. So many big powerful dmen that foppa just knocked the f out of his way when they came in to hit him. It was just insane, and why I pick Foppa, his defensive and skill advantage is bigger than the physical advantage to lindros. Although both are two of the most purely talent physical players I've ever seen on ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daley Tarasenkshow View Post
I guess I'm in the minority to vote Lindros.
Which surprises me since I feel like I'm usually in the minority when this debate crops up speaking for foppa.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 05:45 PM
  #21
Wrath
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
As brutal as Lindros was, and the man is one of the greatest players to play the game, I don't even know if I'd say he has an hitting advantage over foppa, Forsberg had a lot of just bonejarring hits of his own and is one of the greatest counter-hitters the game has ever seen. So many big powerful dmen that foppa just knocked the f out of his way when they came in to hit him. It was just insane, and why I pick Foppa, his defensive and skill advantage is bigger than the physical advantage to lindros. Although both are two of the most purely talent physical players I've ever seen on ice.



Which surprises me since I feel like I'm usually in the minority when this debate crops up speaking for foppa.
Not sure if serious about the lack of hitting advantage.

It was clear as day, that's one of the areas where Lindros was undisputably better (along with goalscoring).

Forsberg still had a better career, better playoff performer, and I pick him, but in hitting, it's Lindros AINEC.

Wrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 05:48 PM
  #22
LOLKarlsson*
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,564
vCash: 500
It's really close. I prefer Lindros' game.

LOLKarlsson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 06:57 PM
  #23
joseph_kerr
Registered User
 
joseph_kerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Lindros was more physically dominant by a bit, but Foppa was more skilled, cultured and better defensively. That's why when Lindros ran into a brilliant Niklas Lidstrom he was shut down, while Foppa was able to adapt his game and deal with lidstrom's positioning, smoothness and stickwork. That versatility is why I voted for Peter.
This. Love Lindros but Foppa could change it up and knew when to. One of those rare breed whose goals would actually increase in the playoffs rather than drop.

joseph_kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 07:05 PM
  #24
SteelFish87*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,275
vCash: 500
Lindros

not close

SteelFish87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 07:27 PM
  #25
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club
 
I Hate Chris Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,260
vCash: 50
Forsberg just because the length of his prime lasted longer than Lindros' career.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.