HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXVI

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2013, 01:59 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Fine remove him. Do you need me to do that for you and then post a new roster or are you capable of mentally removing him from the previous one and doing the math yourself?
I'm good, relax Francis...

Old
12-10-2013, 02:01 PM
BobRouse

Just for you CCF I took the time to fix his proposed lineup.

FORWARDS
Marcus Johansson ($2.000m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Alex Ovechkin ($9.538m)
Eric Fehr ($1.500m) / NOT Martin Erat ($$$$???) / Troy Brouwer ($3.667m)
Jason Chimera ($2.000m) / Brooks Laich ($4.500m) / Joel Ward ($3.000m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.575m) / Jay Beagle ($0.900m) / Tom Wilson ($0.894m)
DEFENSEMEN
Mike Green ($6.083m) / John Carlson ($3.967m)
Karl Alzner ($2.800m) / John Erskine ($1.963m)
GOALTENDERS
Michal Neuvirth ($2.500m)
Braden Holtby ($1.850m)

Old
12-10-2013, 02:03 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
More likely is that Brooks Laich is hurt and we need Erat to fill his slot and also waiting for the right deal to happen.

There is no rush to trade him. He is reporting to the team, working hard and playing well. The better he plays the more his value will go up and the more time it will give for Laich to return to full health.
Again, it's incredibly sad that we have $42 million worth of forwards and are incapable of replacing a third liner without hanging onto a underachieving malcontent who wants out and is badmouthing the team publicly.

Quote:
Also Erat's contract is only expensive in salary cap terms. In actual money terms its a bargain. He is being paid about 3.75 mil this year and 2.25 next year. Almost half of this year is over so the value of his deal for financially strapped teams is quite good.

$3.75 million for a guy with 0 goals and 9 assists a third of the way through the season is not a bargain. His value is low everywhere.

Old
12-10-2013, 02:08 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Again, it's incredibly sad that we have $42 million worth of forwards and are incapable of replacing a third liner without hanging onto a underachieving malcontent who wants out and is badmouthing the team publicly.

$3.75 million for a guy with 0 goals and 9 assists a third of the way through the season is not a bargain. His value is low everywhere.
The Salary Cap is going up to $71 million next year so we are in good shape going forward.

Erat is playing alot better than his stats suggest especially considering he has not gotten much PP action overall and has spent half the season or more on the 4th line or press box.

If his value is so low then we will probably keep him. He's playing better with each passing game and has been promoted up in the lineup due in part to this.

Old
12-10-2013, 02:10 PM
txpd

laich is a 2nd liner in the caps depth chart that plays some 3rd. so...you are oversimplifying to make the caps look as bad as you can.

erat wanted to play. he was scratched. i expected him to be upset. time passes. things change. i don't know much about hockey but he looked good the last time i watched him play.

maybe....maybe what he said needed to be said. we sit here and beat McPhee and Oates to pieces. Many for what they have done or not done specifically with Erat. Erat gets scratched and shows he is pissed and now its on Erat?

edit: the same sorts that would be angry the caps haven't traded Erat are the same angry that they traded for Erat and would likely be angry at the return for Erat were he traded immediately. it fits a certain train of thought

edit 2: if the Erat situation has been a distraction, its not showing the Caps play. Havent they just played their two best back to back games?
Maybe Erat's energy is a factor in the Caps quality of play.

Last edited by txpd: 12-10-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old
12-10-2013, 02:26 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
edit: the same sorts that would be angry the caps haven't traded Erat are the same angry that they traded for Erat and would likely be angry at the return for Erat were he traded immediately. it fits a certain train of thought
I think you hit the nail on the head here. The lynch mob wants fuel to add to the fire to which McPhee will burn on.

Having Erat traded for marginal return will provide that.

Worst case scenario for them is that Erat plays well and stays thus vindicating the trade or plays well enough to garner a significant return thus dousing their fire.

Old
12-10-2013, 02:38 PM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Erat isn't staying...
No one wants Semin Schultz Green Laich Neuvirth Erat.

The low dollars relative to cap hit may help. Dunno. Taking his request public was a really bad idea.

Old
12-10-2013, 02:49 PM
Halpysback*

Erat needs to be put at RW on a line with Ovechkin at LW.

Ovechkin-Mojo-Erat
Fehr-Backstrom-Brouwer
Chimera Grabo Ward

Just do that and the team instantly becomes much better, jesus christ on a stick. Fehr is doing great at his off wing, Ovie still scores pretty much solely off of LW, Erat is a career RW who has been effective offensively thanks to his cuts to the middle and passes to the middle from his off wing. **** Oates for screwing a decent team just so he can feel smarter than everyone else. JUST ****ING TRY IT, YOU TRIED FEHR, YOU TRIED ORLOV, COME ON

Old
12-10-2013, 02:53 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
I think you hit the nail on the head here. The lynch mob wants fuel to add to the fire to which McPhee will burn on.

Worst case scenario for them is that Erat plays well and stays thus vindicating the trade or plays well enough to garner a significant return thus dousing their fire.
I guess you could analyze the people who think Erat's conduct is detrimental to the team. Or you could objectively observe that the Erat trade is already a disaster. He's produced nothing and at minimum he cost a valuable trade chip. And now he's pouting.

I want him off the team for whatever return because he's a distraction. No one needs the acquisition to become any worse to be right that it was a horrible trade.

Old
12-10-2013, 03:04 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post

Ovechkin-Mojo-Erat
Fehr-Backstrom-Brouwer
Chimera Grabo Ward

Just do that and the team instantly becomes much better, jesus christ on a stick. Fehr is doing great at his off wing, Ovie still scores pretty much solely off of LW, Erat is a career RW who has been effective offensively thanks to his cuts to the middle and passes to the middle from his off wing. **** Oates for screwing a decent team just so he can feel smarter than everyone else. JUST ****ING TRY IT, YOU TRIED FEHR, YOU TRIED ORLOV, COME ON
So, what are you trying to say?

Old
12-10-2013, 03:07 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
No one wants Semin Schultz Green Laich Neuvirth Erat.

The low dollars relative to cap hit may help. Dunno. Taking his request public was a really bad idea.
I really think it helps more than it hurts. It changes the story from the Capitals not wanting him to him not wanting them. If they don't want him so soon after acquiring him, his value is pretty much totally gone. At least him wanting out creates perceptions that it's just an unworkable situation/he doesn't fit/he's being misused. I mean, I guess McPhee can tell the other GMs he's talking to that Erat requested a trade when he talks to them, but that seems a lot less compelling.

Old
12-10-2013, 04:18 PM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
If they don't want him so soon after acquiring him, his value is pretty much totally gone. At least him wanting out creates perceptions that it's just an unworkable situation/he doesn't fit/he's being misused.
Since he initially made a private request all of those organization-centered reasons and maybe even his own desire to move on should have already been out there to teams prior to going public. (That's providing that the front office followed up on his request.) There are plenty of reasons why a team can change it's mind about a player that aren't primarily about the player's ability itself, although the lack of production is hard to overlook just the same. It would make the GM look foolish for the reversal in such a short time period but that's better than the player coming across as a malcontent.

It's the combination of wanting out of Nashville, now Washington and his declining production that dint his value regardless. He really ought to understand that and act accordingly...primarily by letting his play on the ice do the talking. Regardless of usage or anything else I can't say I've ever seen him play inspired hockey with the Caps. Good habits, veteran sense but there are enough doubts when it comes to his declining production that he should avoid anything adding further questions.

If, like Orlov, he primarily did it to leverage his way into a bigger role then that's somewhat rational (albeit cutthroat). Otherwise I don't think going public did any good for him. He's still here so it couldn't have suddenly made GMs buy into him being some great misused player.

Old
12-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:

No dodo, that's not the worst case scenario

Worst case scenario is the Caps winning about half of their games, riding the all worldly play of their superstar, to the tune of modestly full houses and eking out a playoff birth.

All to come crashing down during the second season and leaving the leaders saying "what's if?!?!?" And trying same recipe again for another year (and another, and another, and another.....it's GroundHog day, Capitals style)

Old
12-10-2013, 05:13 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I want him off the team for whatever return because he's a distraction. No one needs the acquisition to become any worse to be right that it was a horrible trade.
based on the last two games, I am in favor of more that kind of distraction

Old
12-10-2013, 05:19 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
No dodo, that's not the worst case scenario

Worst case scenario is the Caps winning about half of their games, riding the all worldly play of their superstar, to the tune of modestly full houses and eking out a playoff birth.

All to come crashing down during the second season and leaving the leaders saying "what's if?!?!?" And trying same recipe again for another year (and another, and another, and another.....it's GroundHog day, Capitals style)
and your solution is?

Old
12-10-2013, 05:22 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post

Ovechkin-Mojo-Erat
Fehr-Backstrom-Brouwer
Chimera Grabo Ward

Erat on the Ovechkin line would be filthy.

Old
12-10-2013, 06:11 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
based on the last two games, I am in favor of more that kind of distraction
That's definitely an adequate sample.

Old
12-10-2013, 06:55 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Dump Neuvirth, Erat, Erskine, that's 9 million of cap space right there. A player who doesn't want to be here and two players that shouldn't be here. Send Urbom or Hillen packing - we've got a lot of left defensemen.

Sign Andrew MacDonald (everything up to Erat's money is fine) and a difference-making forward (Radim Vrbata will do). Re-sign Grabovski.

Add a few players from within the org (Latta, Grubi) and you're ready to go!

Johansson - Backstrom - Ovechkin
Kuznetsov - Grabovski - Brouwer
Fehr - Laich - Ward
Chimera - Latta - Wilson (actually, one could argue that in a year, this line won't be any worse than that third line)
Beagle
Alzner - Carlson
MacDonald - Green
Orlov - Oleksy
Schmidt

A relevant partner could do wonders to Green (yes, I know that's not a popular opinion). But if anything, you can always trade him and Erat for an upgrade.

Old
12-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Where's Vrbata?

I wouldn't want to break up Chimera and Ward unless Chimera slows down.

I would put Johansson back at center and go:

16/Kuznetsov-19-8
Kuznetsov/16-90/84-20
25-84/90-42
24/whatever-46-43

Unless they get rid of Brouwer and go:

90-19-8
Kuznetsov-84-16
25-21-42
24/whatever-46-43

I guess I forgot Laich in the first one...whatever.

Old
12-10-2013, 08:01 PM
fsnoles98

Some players that could fetch us some quality that I would like to see moved:
Brouwer
Green
Neuvy
Players that want our:
Orlov
Erat

Playing well in the east, but would love to see some of these guys moved with the cap increasing and their values decreasing.

Old
12-10-2013, 08:20 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 2714
I do think its hilarious how Orlov's agent Gandler got him a spot in our lineup.

Yep, our defense is that bad.

But I am not sold that Orlov wants to be traded and still am eating crow after predicting he would likely not play a game this year.

Old
12-10-2013, 10:19 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
and your solution is?
You should know me well enough by now to know my solution. Big picture.

Old
12-10-2013, 10:23 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I do think its hilarious how Orlov's agent Gandler got him a spot in our lineup.

Yep, our defense is that bad.

But I am not sold that Orlov wants to be traded and still am eating crow after predicting he would likely not play a game this year.
You and your predictions.

Caps are winning games, sans D. All O(vechkin), nothing else matters?

Who needs D?

Where is Bruce?

Old
12-10-2013, 10:43 PM
Holtbyisms
L-O-S-E LOSELOSELOSE

Erat has at LEAST 3 horrible turnovers tonight. One cost us a goal. He's been playing well lately but he was abysmal tonight. He looked like Green as a forward. X_X

I would still obviously rather move Laich than him because Erat does pretty much everything Brooks does and does it better for the same $.

Old
12-11-2013, 12:26 AM
SashaSemin28
408 Forever 63*

Send a message via Skype™ to SashaSemin28
Kuznetsov//Backstrom//Ovechkin
Johansson//Grabovski//Semin
Chimera//Laich//Ward
Volpatti//Latta//Fehr

Alzner//Green
Orlov//Carlson