HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXVI

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2013, 06:28 PM
g00n
Global Moderator
๑۩۞۩๑♩♪♫♬๑۩۞۩๑

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
maybe our definition of very chippy is different. steve downie is very chippy. eric fehr might be as chippy as Jason Chimera(I don't think so) but that is not nearly the same level is a downie
This is, of course, a critical distinction that needs to be made.

Old
12-18-2013, 06:36 PM
g00n
Global Moderator
๑۩۞۩๑♩♪♫♬๑۩۞۩๑

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
This fits the mold of the Caps. All a player has to do is a little something and they stand out. I also look at Fehr as chippy but that is playing on a team that is not chippy at all. So he stands outs.

Brooks also fits this mold. At his best he would go to the net and bring good effort every night. And he stood out as one of the only guys that went to the net and gave a lot of effort. When he really he was never as good as he seemed.

You can make cases for a bunch of player like this.
He understood the point. It's based with playing with a "chip" on your shoulder. Some guys have more of a chip on their shoulder than others. One definition is "aggressively beligerent" or something similar. Guys have this to different degrees. Some push and shove, others are looking to fight all the time.

Fehr agitates out there, facewashes, gets in scrums and so forth. He's chippy and plays with attitude, though he doesn't fight much (did Avery? Cooke? Not saying Fehr is anywhere close to their level, of course). You don't have to be a total g00n to play with a chip on your shoulder.

Old
12-18-2013, 10:12 PM
Liberati0n*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
Alexander Steen has agreed to a three-year extension with the Blues worth $17.4 million

Seeing what Semin got on the open market and the cap going up, you have to think hes leaving alot of money on the table to stay with the blues
Maybe, but he probably doesn't even deserve what he got. He probably knows he would be derided as the beneficiary of one of the league's worst contracts if he signed for $7M+ (now now, but later).

Old
12-18-2013, 10:57 PM
MoJoSauce

I honestly think this team would be a lot better if we still had semin + a 2c in ribeiro or grabovski. I realize this likely wouldn't work salary cap wise but it would solve probably 90% of our secondary scoring issues

Old
12-18-2013, 11:28 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoSauce View Post
I honestly think this team would be a lot better if we still had semin + a 2c in ribeiro or grabovski. I realize this likely wouldn't work salary cap wise but it would solve probably 90% of our secondary scoring issues
Dump Erat + Erskine and you already have ~$6.5M to work with to keep Semin. Toss Brouwer or Laich into the mix as well and you can afford Semin AND Ribeiro.

Old
12-19-2013, 12:31 AM
Koized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Dump Erat + Erskine and you already have ~$6.5M to work with to keep Semin. Toss Brouwer or Laich into the mix as well and you can afford Semin AND Ribeiro.
What about all the leadership you would lose with Brouwer and Laich?

Old
12-19-2013, 12:33 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoSauce View Post
Doesn't do a thing to help the D. Last I checked we're 2nd in the East and 6th in the NHL in goals FOR even with a lot of guys struggling.

Old
12-19-2013, 12:36 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Sorry that's way too many gold chains and medallions on one line. I shudder at the thought!

That line would lead the league in stick penalties and complaining to the refs!

Old
12-19-2013, 12:58 AM
FloridaCap
Beaglechuk Mania

vCash: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Doesn't do a thing to help the D. Last I checked we're 2nd in the East and 6th in the NHL in goals FOR even with a lot of guys struggling.
Simply because of our powerplay. When the powerplay chances dwindle, I'm sure our offense will be ice cold just like last year's playoffs. This team has no even strength secondary scoring besides maybe Grabo.

Old
12-19-2013, 01:01 AM
FloridaCap
Beaglechuk Mania

vCash: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Fehr's skating is just as good as Brouwer's and Laich's IMO. It's not a positive but it isn't a negative either, simply average.

And he was scratched so long simply because he is a right shot winger and Oates already had Ovechkin, Brouwer, Ward, and Wilson on the right side.

He only got a chance because Oates decided to make Erat a healthy scratch for the first time in his career and Fehr was the only option to replace him at the time. He likely would have been sitting until Laich broke down again if not for that.
I know WHY he was scratched, it's just it was incredibly stupid. He was one of our better even strength players last year as well.

Old
12-19-2013, 06:54 AM
txpd

Quote:
Semin has 3 goals this season. If he had 3 goals this season with the Caps and a concussion on top of that, he would be crispy on the stake already.

your math doesn't work on the salary cap issues either. brouwer makes 3.6 and laich 4.5. erat makes 4.5 and Erskine 1.96. semin makes 7 which means the caps are playing one player short. ribeiro makes 5.5. brouwer is a full 2m short.

Old
12-19-2013, 09:32 AM
g00n
Global Moderator
๑۩۞۩๑♩♪♫♬๑۩۞۩๑

Quote:
Sorry that's way too many gold chains and medallions on one line. I shudder at the thought!

That line would lead the league in stick penalties and complaining to the refs!
Ok, that's a funny post right there.

Old
12-19-2013, 09:48 AM
marcel snapshot

Do we have any interest in Marc Methot of Ottawa? Played well last year, may be in dog house this year - was a healthy scratch last night for Sens. 6'3" 230, defensive defenseman, but rap on him is he may not be physical enough for his size - bit of a red flag for those of us suffering from post-traumatic schultz disorder.

Has looked solid to me when I've seen him play, but that's been very episodic. Anyone have more familiarity with his game, and why he might be in the dog house?

Old
12-19-2013, 10:19 AM
trick9

vCash: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
Do we have any interest in Marc Methot of Ottawa? Played well last year, may be in dog house this year - was a healthy scratch last night for Sens. 6'3" 230, defensive defenseman, but rap on him is he may not be physical enough for his size - bit of a red flag for those of us suffering from post-traumatic schultz disorder.

Has looked solid to me when I've seen him play, but that's been very episodic. Anyone have more familiarity with his game, and why he might be in the dog house?
He was one of the better shut-down D's around the league last season but not sure what is going on with him this season. Not really fair to compare him to Schultz.

Would definitely be interested but i don't think he's available.

Old
12-19-2013, 10:49 AM
Halpysback*

Quote:
How does having a guy who has historically been an excellent even strength performer and a good backchecker/neutral zone defensive player not help the defense?

Old
12-19-2013, 10:49 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Here we go with the career 4th liner garbage.

Unless by some miracle McPhee is gone, Wilson is in DC for good now IMO, and the next GM will probably think the same way. Better get used to it.
Why is he now in DC for good?

As far as I could tell the chief reason for not sending back to Plymouth was the risk of him leaning too much on his physical size and strength advantages and developing bad habits as a result. I didn't agree with the thinking but I could understand why some would feel that way.

That isn't going to be the case in Hershey. He would be playing against men. He needs to play. He needs to develop his skills.

People hold Lucic up as an example of a young player similar in size and skill to Wilson as someone who was developed in the NHL. But Lucic saw 12 minutes a night as a rookie and 15 as a second year guy, including over a minute of PP time on average per game each season. Wilson is getting 7 minutes a game and you are perfectly happy with him seeing that same kind of ice time next season?

At what point does the amount of and types of ice time a player receives affect a young player's development in your opinion?

Old
12-19-2013, 10:53 AM
Halpysback*

Wonder if we could do

Green + Brouwer

for Semin + Harrison or some other middling D.

At this point not having Green on the team would probably help out the D. He looks like Schultz to Orlov's Green of yesteryears. Carolina may be fooled into thinking that he's the answer to their transition woes. A Grabovski-Semin duo to go with a Backstrom-Ovechkin duo is pretty enticing, especially given that both Grabo and Semin play well rounded puck possession games at even strength. Erat-Grabo-Semin... seems like a very good ES line on paper to these eyes.

Team gets better... I think. Maybe trade for a 2-way D to put next to Orlov but we need one of those anyway.

Old
12-19-2013, 10:56 AM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Semin has 3 goals this season. If he had 3 goals this season with the Caps and a concussion on top of that, he would be crispy on the stake already.

your math doesn't work on the salary cap issues either. brouwer makes 3.6 and laich 4.5. erat makes 4.5 and Erskine 1.96. semin makes 7 which means the caps are playing one player short. ribeiro makes 5.5. brouwer is a full 2m short.
I think most of this board is willing to cut players slack if they're not producing but playing well besides that. There was a time when Green was a black hole offensively a couple years back but no one ripped him for it because his defense was good. It's why most of the board doesn't hate Erat as well.

Old
12-19-2013, 11:23 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaCap View Post
Simply because of our powerplay. When the powerplay chances dwindle, I'm sure our offense will be ice cold just like last year's playoffs. This team has no even strength secondary scoring besides maybe Grabo.
Doesn't matter why, only where we are. They're scoring goals. Adding Semin and Ribs would be great from a talent infusion, but I'd rather have better D instead.

Old
12-19-2013, 11:26 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
How does having a guy who has historically been an excellent even strength performer and a good backchecker/neutral zone defensive player not help the defense?
Their jobs are to score goals, not prevent them. I'm talking Defensemen, our most GLARING weakness.

Old
12-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Liberati0n*

The biggest problem with the team defensively is that they get dominated in possession and are always pinned in their own zone letting the other team get chances. Semin would single-handedly make a significant impact in that area.

Old
12-19-2013, 11:36 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Why is he now in DC for good?

As far as I could tell the chief reason for not sending back to Plymouth was the risk of him leaning too much on his physical size and strength advantages and developing bad habits as a result. I didn't agree with the thinking but I could understand why some would feel that way.

That isn't going to be the case in Hershey. He would be playing against men. He needs to play. He needs to develop his skills.

People hold Lucic up as an example of a young player similar in size and skill to Wilson as someone who was developed in the NHL. But Lucic saw 12 minutes a night as a rookie and 15 as a second year guy, including over a minute of PP time on average per game each season. Wilson is getting 7 minutes a game and you are perfectly happy with him seeing that same kind of ice time next season?

At what point does the amount of and types of ice time a player receives affect a young player's development in your opinion?
Just my opinion, because McPhee loves the guy. As long as McPhee's here, I doubt Wilson goes down. No doubt he could spend some valuable time in Hershey, I just don't see it with the current regime still in charge.

It's funny, but you and a few others harping on Wilson seem to think he's a 1st line winger if he goes and spends time AWAY from the NHL to "develop". My take is he's a 3rd line guy with top 6 potential, more likely 2nd line winger if we get lucky.

And don't put words in people's mouths. I never said I was OK with him getting 7 mins a game NEXT year, just now, still early in his rookie season, I don't think it's something to grind my teeth over like you guys are. It's overthinking at its finest.

Old
12-19-2013, 11:36 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
The biggest problem with the team defensively is that they get dominated in possession and are always pinned in their own zone letting the other team get chances. Semin would single-handedly make a significant impact in that area.
just remember all this semin love when you read all the green hate we see now. the semin hate here was worse and when he left, the only thing the majority was upset about was the McPhee didn't trade him at the deadline.

the reason the caps are pinned in their own zone is that alzner and Carlson play v the opposing #1 line. the rest of the time there are three players with under 100 nhl games combined on the ice, when Erskine is not playing.

the lack of experience leads to slow reads and bad decision making.

honestly, i am not sure how much any winger helps that. the caps get pinned when they have their better defensive wingers on the ice because the defensemen are so inexperienced. only the center is down low enough to really help the defense.

Old
12-19-2013, 11:39 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
Yeah...right. There isn't a big enough EYE ROLL emoticon for that one.

Semin doesn't play Defensemen. THAT's not an area he would improve, certainly not at the tune of 5 years $35 mil. He's also missed 12 games out of 34 so far and has 3g, 9pts and is a -6. Sounds like our defensive savior.....

You last few remaining Semin lovers need to get over it and move on, he has.

Old
12-19-2013, 11:40 AM
Liberati0n*

Quote:
just remember all this semin love when you read all the green hate we see now. the semin hate here was worse and when he left, the only thing the majority was upset about was the McPhee didn't trade him at the deadline.

the reason the caps are pinned in their own zone is that alzner and Carlson play v the opposing #1 line. the rest of the time there are three players with under 100 nhl games combined on the ice, when Erskine is not playing.

the lack of experience leads to slow reads and bad decision making.

honestly, i am not sure how much any winger helps that. the caps get pinned when they have their better defensive wingers on the ice because the defensemen are so inexperienced. only the center is down low enough to really help the defense.
He helps it mainly because the puck won't make it back to their zone as often and because he's good at navigating the neutral zone. The issue isn't just getting the puck back or that first pass. I'm just commenting on the question of whether he (/a winger) can help the team defensively. He's obviously not coming back.

Closed Thread