HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Signing a RFA away in new CBA

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2005, 12:45 PM
CoolburnIsGone

vCash: 500
Signing a RFA away in new CBA

After reading through TSN's 2005 Summer Status, it got me thinking. With the new CBA changing the rule for signing a RFA of another team that's been qualified from five 1st rounders to four, is there a team with a need that a RFA could fill and be worth the penalty?

The one player I'm thinking about right now is Roberto Luongo. Florida says they're going to spend $30 million but what if another team comes along and offers Luongo more than FL can afford since they're committing money elsewhere as well. I was thinking about Phoenix or Tampa since both are tied to where Khabibulin ends up. TB has less room probably under the cap since they have to still sign St. Louis & Lecavalier but if I were PHX, I'd go after Luongo instead.

Can anyone think of other RFAs that would be worth the penalty?

Old
07-26-2005, 12:48 PM
X8oD

I dont think the issue is as much of the penalty as is the need.

Is there a need for any team to blow 4 first rounders on ANY talent in the NHL.

I'll say this.... If Corsby or Ovechkin live up to thier hype, i could see them being somebody teams would risk losing 4 First rounders.

That said, it would only be a perrenial contender who regularly picks in the bottom 5 [Detroit, Colorado, New Jersey.. you get the idea].

Currently there isnt 1 player on the market worth it. Not even luongo has approached any level of ability to make him worth 4 first rounders. In fact id go as far as saying there isnt a current NHLEr playing worth 4 first rounders.

Old
07-26-2005, 12:51 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

I was just about to start a new thread similar to this.

There's one factor in play other than the reduction of penalties for signing other teams' RFAs.

2006 is when they raise the draft age, correct? So, 2006 will basically be a cluster of rejects from this year's draft. Thus, 2006 draft picks will be worth quite a bit less than picks in any other year.

As a result, GMs will be more readily willing to part with them. Find me someone who wouldn't give up a 2nd round 2006 draft pick to sign someone like Rhett Warrener.

Old
07-26-2005, 01:18 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
I dont think the issue is as much of the penalty as is the need.

Is there a need for any team to blow 4 first rounders on ANY talent in the NHL.

I'll say this.... If Corsby or Ovechkin live up to thier hype, i could see them being somebody teams would risk losing 4 First rounders.

That said, it would only be a perrenial contender who regularly picks in the bottom 5 [Detroit, Colorado, New Jersey.. you get the idea].

Currently there isnt 1 player on the market worth it. Not even luongo has approached any level of ability to make him worth 4 first rounders. In fact id go as far as saying there isnt a current NHLEr playing worth 4 first rounders.
I remember reading an article a while ago regarding when Carolina tried to sign Fedorov or when the Rangers tried to sign Sakic when both were RFA, that the 1st rounders that those teams would've gotten wouldn't have made half of impact that those 2 players would've. In the Sakic deal, the Rangers tried to front load the contract to make it hard for Colorado to match (I'm not sure if that part would work in the new CBA as I think its an averaged salary that counts against the cap).

My point was that there are certain players that can have a profound impact on the future of an organization. I don't think it necessarily has to be a team has previously picked in the bottom of the draft because there's no guarantees they will continue to pick in the bottom half of the draft. And honestly, I think goaltending is what is key to a winning team which is why I mentioned Luongo. And I think he could make an average team, a perennial playoff team.

Heatley & Kovalchuk are both RFA...I would consider making an offer to both of them if I was a team with some cap room.

Old
07-26-2005, 01:18 PM
12# Peter Bondra

The draft age doesnt change:

Who is eligible for selection in the Entry Draft?

Draft eligibility rules will remain unchanged from the expired CBA (all players must be age 18 by September 15 in the year in which the Draft is held).

Closed Thread