HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will the whole league sign with Toronto?

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2005, 01:07 PM
plafleur10

vCash: 500
Will the whole league sign with Toronto?

You have to marvel at the speed at wich the Toronto rumor machine came out of its one-year strike-imposed sleep to try to make the Leaf faithful think that their team is about to sign every free agent under the sun, including Peter Forsberg, Paul Karya, Scott Niederemyer, The Lindros-Leclair hospice combo, Cujo again, Manny Fernandez, etc.

Little brother Ottawa seems to be doing not bad either, able to not buyout any contracts AND go after the other hospice combo, Roberts and Niewendyk, in addition to Mike Modano...

Things sound pretty prosperous in Ontario, don't they? Have they already found a whole in the cap system out there?

Old
07-26-2005, 01:11 PM
Guy Caballero

And all for a million apiece, because it's their dream to play in Toronto. In fact, I hear some of them might pay the Leafs to play for them!

Old
07-26-2005, 01:11 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10
You have to marvel at the speed at wich the Toronto rumor machine came out of its one-year strike-imposed sleep to try to make the Leaf faithful think that their team is about to sign every free agent under the sun, including Peter Forsberg, Paul Karya, Scott Niederemyer, The Lindros-Leclair hospice combo, Cujo again, Manny Fernandez, etc.

Little brother Ottawa seems to be doing not bad either, able to not buyout any contracts AND go after the other hospice combo, Roberts and Niewendyk, in addition to Mike Modano...

Things sound pretty prosperous in Ontario, don't they? Have they already found a whole in the cap system out there?

Everyone wants to play in Toronto, dontchaknow. Especially if they grew up there. How can you pass on a 50% combined tax rate, GST, cold winters, rabid fan attention everywhere you go, a losing tradition and an overpriced, aging core.

Old
07-26-2005, 01:13 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
Everyone wants to play in Toronto, dontchaknow. Especially if they grew up there. How can you pass on a 50% combined tax rate, GST, cold winters, rabid fan attention everywhere you go, a losing tradition and an overpriced, aging core.

Eh, watchout, we have the same thing, except the overpriced part...

Old
07-26-2005, 01:13 PM
Traitor8

yes,yes they will.

Old
07-26-2005, 01:16 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
Eh, watchout, we have the same thing, except the overpriced part...
No kidding. Who was our last major free agent signing?

Old
07-26-2005, 01:20 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
No kidding. Who was our last major free agent signing?
True, but we're also talking about the days where our reasonable offers were followed up by ridiculous follow-up offers from teams like Toronto, NY, and Detroit. You couldn't compete with that.

Old
07-26-2005, 01:23 PM
plafleur10

Lol

Quote:

Thanks for the good laugh!

Old
07-26-2005, 01:23 PM
habfan4

Is this really necessary? The Habs have a fair share of long shot rumours as well (I just posted in the Pedneault - Lecavalier thread).

Old
07-26-2005, 01:25 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4
Is this really necessary? The Habs have a fair share of long shot rumours as well (I just posted in the Pedneault - Lecavalier thread).
Not necessary, but fun. I'm gonna enjoy beating on the Leafs this season!

Old
07-26-2005, 01:25 PM
Rand

If you believe the rumours, then no... the entire eague will not sign here.
The rumours seem to exclude anyone that's not at least a second liner/2nd pairing D-Man.
Will however sign approximately 60 impact forwards and another 30 impact defencemen.
There should be roughly 3 or 4 impact players left for the rest of the teams in the NHL.

Exactly how this is supposed to happen I haven't the faintest idea. Presumably the media is convinced that JFJ has hypnotized into coming to Toronto and playing for free.

Doubtlessly by next week we will apparently be stealing all of the other teams GM's and coaches, and stocking our system with them as well.

Old
07-26-2005, 01:28 PM
RLC

Toronto fans think that Toronto is the birthplace of hockey and the NHL is a misnomer for Leafs League with all other teams being feeder franchises to the Leafs. That even Latvian 8 year olds dream of NeckTie Domi or Darcy Tucker. The fact is that Leafs fans have the right to think and say whatever they want anytime, that's it. Devoted fans are hard to come by. Don't you love a guy that bluffs and is cought then continues to bluff, it may be stupid be it is his right.

Old
07-26-2005, 01:37 PM
zurg999

I vote "YES".

(This is a poll, isn't it?)

Old
07-26-2005, 01:41 PM
Rand

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLC
Toronto fans think that Toronto is the birthplace of hockey and the NHL is a misnomer for Leafs League with all other teams being feeder franchises to the Leafs. That even Latvian 8 year olds dream of NeckTie Domi or Darcy Tucker. The fact is that Leafs fans have the right to think and say whatever they want anytime, that's it. Devoted fans are hard to come by. Don't you love a guy that bluffs and is cought then continues to bluff, it may be stupid be it is his right.
That comment might have been much more effective had you stated Latvian 40yr olds as a less then subtle reflection upon the teams age.

Old
07-26-2005, 01:45 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Exactly, just surf around the team boards and you can see every team has plenty of deluisional fans. I got a laugh out of Elliot Freidman on the FAN 590 last week...he was making fun of all the fans who think their team is going to sign every FA available. He made particular reference to Oiler fans and their talk of Forsberg signing with them

Old
07-26-2005, 01:51 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLC
Yeah, but let's be honest ... Leafs fans are "in a league of their own" when it comes to rumors, speculation and dreams. It probably is because they are long suffering.

But Red Sox fans weren't like that as far as I know. Cubs fans aren't like that. Knicks fans aren't like that. Those are all long-suffering teams with rabid fan bases.

I think the Leafs team has a bad reputation in their style of play, the way they interact with the referees and other players and their management has bad reputation for overpaying players and thus corrupting the old system, and their fans have the reputation for being jerks who think they are the center of the hockey world (to the exclusion of Montreal or other Canadian cities) and they are not the most astute general managers on the whole. Montreal fans seem to be much more knowledgeable (at least from what I've experienced). There are a lot of wingnut Montreal fans also, but there seem to be a lot more intelligent hockey fans in Montreal.

Vancouver fans are pretty bad too.

Old
07-26-2005, 02:36 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Agreed. It's normal for fans of a team to get excited at the thought of their club landing a big-name FA. Only thing is, Toronto fans do it more and louder than anyone else. The majority of our loudspeak is started by crazytalk from the french media and 110%.

Old
07-26-2005, 02:36 PM
RLC

Quote:
Yeah, but let's be honest ... Leafs fans are "in a league of their own" when it comes to rumors, speculation and dreams. It probably is because they are long suffering.

But Red Sox fans weren't like that as far as I know. Cubs fans aren't like that. Knicks fans aren't like that. Those are all long-suffering teams with rabid fan bases.

I think the Leafs team has a bad reputation in their style of play, the way they interact with the referees and other players and their management has bad reputation for overpaying players and thus corrupting the old system, and their fans have the reputation for being jerks who think they are the center of the hockey world (to the exclusion of Montreal or other Canadian cities) and they are not the most astute general managers on the whole. Montreal fans seem to be much more knowledgeable (at least from what I've experienced). There are a lot of wingnut Montreal fans also, but there seem to be a lot more intelligent hockey fans in Montreal.

Vancouver fans are pretty bad too.
I dont know if MTL fans are more or less knowledgeable then any other city. But I will give you an example of the hab fans.
Last year, Kovalev had joinded the Habs he had finally broke out of his slump in the first round of the playoffs. Kovalev receives the puck right at his blue line, he is the last man back, he gets slashed hard on his hand, forgets the puck an a moment later it's in the net.
The hab fan did not care it was Kovalev,did not care about the hard slash, " if your the last man it's your responsibility, a slash, a kick, a check or whatever, if you are still alive you get that puck away. Your are ecpected to suckitup at least enough to get that puck away.Look at your wrist later, ***** later, make the freaking play at all costs, or try to.
Their is a long, long list of Hab players over the long history of the team, players that went back on the ice with a broken leg, huge cuts,whatever. All the Hab fan ask at all times is you give your best day in day out, that you adopt the thinking that the team comes first, take the hit make the play.

This is what makes cup winners, and if that year you don't win the cup, keep trying. Begin is loved in MTL and why, he is not a 40 goal guy, he is not a fast guy, what he is , is a player that with whatever God gave him, he leaves it on the ice day in day out. The fans understand full well each players talent, Gainey himself was call the best two way player in the world by a russian coach, that if the russians had 20 gainey's they would never lose a game. It's all about heart. The Hab fans are tough alright,they undersand the game and all the little game within the game stuff, great shots , great stops, like everyone else. What a hab fan sees is the little game, the heart game-everyminute of every play. I have seen 10 minute standing ovations for a 0-0 tie. Most fans in other cities would not understand this at all.

Last edited by RLC: 07-26-2005 at 02:44 PM.
Old
07-26-2005, 02:41 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLC
I dont know if MTL fans are more or less knowledgeable then any other city. But I will give you an example of the hab fans.
Last year, Kovalev had joinded the Habs he had finally broke out of his slump in the first round of the playoffs. Kovalev receives the puck right at his blue line, he is the last man back, he gets slashed hard on his hand, forgets the puck an a moment later it's in the net.
The hab fan did not care it was Kovalev,did not care about the hard slash, " if your the last man it's your responsibility, a slash, a kick, a check or whatever, if you are still alive you get that puck away. Your are ecpected to suckitup at least enough to get that puck away.Look at your wrist later, ***** later, make the freaking play at all costs, or try to.
Their is a long, long list of Hab players over the long history of the team, players that went back on the ice with a broken leg, huge cuts,whatever. All the Hab fan ask at all times is you give your best day in day out, that you adopt the thinking that the team comes first, take the hit make the play.

This is what makes cup winners, and if that year you don't win the cup, keep trying. Begin is loved in MTL and why, he is not a 40 goal guy, he is not a fast guy, what he is , is a player that with whatever God gave him, he leaves it on the ice day in day out. The fans understand full well each players talent, Gainey himself was call the best two way player in the world by a russian coach, that if the russians had 20 gainey's they would never lose a game. It's all about heart.
Amen. God bless you brother.

Very nice post, and Montreal fans are knowledgeable because of how serious hockey is taken here. I won't say we're any more knowledgeable than anyone else, but we know hockey, and what it takes to win. We like players who are dedicated, devoted, determined, and fun to watch. Players who care about the game, and about their team.

So, while I for one don't think you could blame the Kovalev slash totally on him, I was also mad about that incident because he cost the team a game. And I think the backlash from that incident taught Alex Kovalev something about what it means to be a Montreal Canadien. There is a lot of pressure, but with it comes the possibility of the highest of praise.

Old
07-26-2005, 02:48 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu

Very nice post, and Montreal fans are knowledgeable because of how serious hockey is taken here. I won't say we're any more knowledgeable than anyone else, but we know hockey, and what it takes to win. We like players who are dedicated, devoted, determined, and fun to watch. Players who care about the game, and about their team.

So, while I for one don't think you could blame the Kovalev slash totally on him, I was also mad about that incident because he cost the team a game. And I think the backlash from that incident taught Alex Kovalev something about what it means to be a Montreal Canadien. There is a lot of pressure, but with it comes the possibility of the highest of praise.
Well, I will definitely say that Montreal fans are more knowledgeable. I lived in Toronto for a couple years, I know the deal. And U.S. hockey fans don't stack up. It's like the difference of New York baseball fans and California baseball fans. No comparison, you can hear the intelligence in the crowd.

Old
07-26-2005, 02:49 PM
RLC

Quote:

Exactly, Kovalev suddenly knew that this was a very different place,
That hockey in this town has a very different meaning. it's not just a game, it's a showcase of the human heart and desire. Hockey is a game that can on occasion show pure heroics. The right stuff, the same as a Kamakazie or samouri. or real war hero's giving their all in selfsacrifice. This self-sacrifice as no race, size, color attached to it.
It's not something you can teach or pay for.
Heart and desire is a God given attribute of the human condition.

Last edited by RLC: 07-26-2005 at 03:17 PM.
Old
07-26-2005, 02:56 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Agreed. It's normal for fans of a team to get excited at the thought of their club landing a big-name FA. Only thing is, Toronto fans do it more and louder than anyone else. The majority of our loudspeak is started by crazytalk from the french media and 110%.
I agree to a point, the Toronto media does generate a ridiculous amount of rumours. However, I'd say it's a minority of Leaf fans (the 10 year old variety) that post every "Leafs Lunch" rumour they hear.

Old
07-26-2005, 05:28 PM
se7en*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
He made particular reference to Oiler fans and their talk of Forsberg signing with them
How long has it been since Oil fans felt excitement over signing a big-name player? Ever? Now that it's financially viable, of course some of us might seem…overzealous. Personally I don't see us aquiring Peter the Great, but the fact that we're talking about it bodes well for the future. We deserve to see a competitive team iced. It's been so long and we're so hungry…

Old
07-26-2005, 05:51 PM
Jarko2004

Isn't Niederemyer going to about 20 teams.

Old
07-26-2005, 05:54 PM
tml_4ever
It's Chaotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarko2004
Isn't Niederemyer going to about 20 teams.
as far as i'm concerned, he's the only one i'm eyeing right now...screw lindros!

Closed Thread