HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

What will TSN Do/Broadcast Now That It's Lost the NHL? (RSN, NBA, US sports, etc.)

Old
11-27-2013, 09:25 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
What about KHL hockey? I dont want to create special thread, so here is a link
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1547095
This would be great. Problem is that live games are from 6am-1pm usually. Spengler Cup generally does alright, but again there's a "Team Canada" in it. Don't think it would be a huge draw, don't see TSN jumping on it too hard. But if I'm TSN right now, I'd pick up a KHL package cheap at least for some TSN2 filler at the least. They could probably even get some replay in primetime with Kovalchuk/Radulov/etc games on TSN, if it's a slow night. Has to be better than bowling or darts right? I know I'd be on board.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2013, 09:44 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
This would be great. Problem is that live games are from 6am-1pm usually. Spengler Cup generally does alright, but again there's a "Team Canada" in it. Don't think it would be a huge draw, don't see TSN jumping on it too hard. But if I'm TSN right now, I'd pick up a KHL package cheap at least for some TSN2 filler at the least. They could probably even get some replay in primetime with Kovalchuk/Radulov/etc games on TSN, if it's a slow night. Has to be better than bowling or darts right? I know I'd be on board.
I'd watch Astana for all the Winnipeggers on it, and definitely Medvecsak.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2013, 10:24 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
I'd watch Astana for all the Winnipeggers on it, and definitely Medvecsak.
Oh me too. As well as Slovan (since I'm a Slovak fan), Amur and Riga all for their AMAZING fan support. All those rinks can get louder than any NHL rink.

However, even IF TSN picked up a TSN package you'd have to expect a steady diet of SKA (Kovalchuk, best team), Dynamo Moscow (top team), Kazan (Burmistrov, top team), CSKA (history, Radulov, Morozov), Metallurg (Mozyakin, top team, Malkin's alma mater), Lokomotiv (storyline). The traditional Russian teams. Not that I'd be against any one of those teams, I love watching them play, but those would be the biggest draws for TSN.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2013, 10:28 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
I think they still have decent content.

Keep in mind that their Sportscentre is easily the best in Canada and far superior to Sportsnet Connected (I think that's their equivalent) and other such shows. So they will always have that to fill up slots with.

- Late February: Scotties Curling Tournament (not a big fan of curling, but it draws massive ratings; close to a regular season non-Leafs Wednesday night TSN hockey game or an average regular season CFL game)

- Early March: Brier Curling Tournament (same explanation as above)

- Early March to November: MLS Regular Season

- Mid-March to Early April: NCAA March Madness

- Mid April to Late June: NBA Playoffs (TSN plays most of the NBA playoffs, including the Finals)

- Early April to October: MLB (TSN has rights to Sunday Night Baseball)

- July to late November: exclusive rights to everything MLS related

- September to January: Sunday Night Football and Monday Night Football

- Early December: MLS Playoffs

- Late December: WJHC (massive in Canada)

- 47 Toronto Raptors games (November to April)

Plus, on top of that, you have to add all of the major Tennis tournaments, Golf tournaments, Formula One, and the regional Jets and Leafs games.

TSN will be fine. Their only downtime from looking at the schedule above is from January to late February because I believe most of the NFL playoffs is shown on their sister network CTV.

They'll do great during the NFL season with SNF and MNF; they'll win the summer with the CFL and MLS; they could do really awesome basketball coverage with March Madness and then the NBA Playoffs. Curling is also a big draw and something they could hype.
Nobody is saying TSN will go out of business. But they had that whole list PLUS tons of NHL content. Things like curling are cool for short periods of time, but they do not provide the same value that NH regular season and playoffs do.

Its a massive loss, and a game changer in the industry.

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2013, 11:52 PM
Yukon Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
McKenzie is pretty reliable, it was one of his articles back in early 2011 about the return to Winnipeg. It was timed when there was a real possibility. First time I'm seeing any from TSN this definitive.

Is there a real 'informal process' going on? Or is TSN putting up a story to get eye balls their way in the wake of losing the national rights?
Winnipeg in the NHL was almost afait accompli by 2011 (and indeed it happened May 31, 2011). In 2010 the League had an agreement in principle to move the Yotes to Winnipeg, which only was stalled when Glendale ponied up $25 mil 15 minutes before the deadline.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 12:54 AM
brec7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzikMachine View Post
With Rogers taking a national deal, I'm wondering if TSN could pursue regional contracts for US teams within Canadian markets? For example, could they become the regional broadcaster for the Bruins in the Maritimes, Sabres/Red Wings in southern Ontario, or a future Seattle NHL team for BC? Even if they’re within another team’s territory, conceivably there could be season ticket holders within that region (with the exception of the Bruins in the Maritimes). Or does Rogers hold all NHL rights within Canada?
I'm unsure a Canadian network can actually carry a US team regionally in Canada. The Sabres are covered in southern Ontario but by a television provider (Bell) and not an actual channel- Bell created an empty channel just to show Sabres games, straight off the US feed (via MSG), as far as I understand it. Also, the Wings and Bruins don't (again, as far as I know) have regional rights in Canada even though perhaps they should.)

If a would-be Seattle franchise comes into existence that team would be smart to fight like hell for some Canadian territory but I'm sure the Canucks wouldn't exactly be anxious to pick it up.

As for what TSN can do, none of the options are coming to close to the NHL means to TSN. There's anchor properties and good supporting properties... as posted above TSN already has lots of great secondary contracts (either stuff that draws good but not great ratings like the PL or things that draw huge ratings over short period, like curling). It's logical to pursue things like the KHL, more Aussie Football but those are secondary properties. (The KHL has enough star power that the TSN could probably stretch it but it's extremely difficult with the time difference.)

The ONE exception here, I HOPE, is the CHL. Sportsnet already has the CHL of course but TSN might be able to pull off making it high profile by hitching it to their world junior coverage. I think the key at first would be showing a lot of the same teams over again- hardcore fans would tire of it but pound the casual fan with a team they have reason to be interested in and you grow from there. Pre-world juniors, push the guys who played on last year's WJC or the very obvious NHL prospects. Post-world juniors, push the breakout stars. The less far in advance the schedule has to be prepared, the better.

brec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 12:55 AM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
They can still run highlights and analyze the heck out of the NHL. You don't need live events to run a sports channel, just look at ESPN and their 5000 or whatever channels.
I think most fans would prefer more live sports than compared to the ESPN model.

TSN will no doubt show more NBA, but it won't catch on. NBA has gotten too lame coupled with some bitterness in BC about the Grizzlies (there's not even a Seattle team for BCers to support) and the Raptors always being mediocre, I just can't see a jump in ratings. TSN should go hard after soccer. Maybe a KHL/euro deal to spite the NHL?

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 01:14 AM
Sarcastic
PosterOfTheYear2014

If they ramp up CHL coverage, that'd be the best option. It'd be really compelling over a long time to watch a young player and then a few years later seeing their highlights in a professional game.

Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 01:21 AM
scotchex

What about motorsports? F1, Nascar, MotoGP, Supercross, etc, etc.

scotchex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 06:41 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTN View Post
I think most fans would prefer more live sports than compared to the ESPN model.

TSN will no doubt show more NBA, but it won't catch on. NBA has gotten too lame coupled with some bitterness in BC about the Grizzlies (there's not even a Seattle team for BCers to support) and the Raptors always being mediocre, I just can't see a jump in ratings. TSN should go hard after soccer. Maybe a KHL/euro deal to spite the NHL?
This deal has made the NHL the lamest.

If the just get Ontario and Quebec for the NBA, and like you said soccer, this can work. Soccer has a base in this country. More kids play it then hockey.

Melrose Munch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 06:49 AM
Shawa666

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchex View Post
What about motorsports? F1, Nascar, MotoGP, Supercross, etc, etc.
They run F1, Nascar. RDS also has a deal with DTM, probably could be expanded to TSN. I think they also have the Canadian Rally Championship deal. SN has the Indy deal

Shawa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 08:01 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic View Post
If they ramp up CHL coverage, that'd be the best option. It'd be really compelling over a long time to watch a young player and then a few years later seeing their highlights in a professional game.
The trouble with trying to make a big deal out of the CHL is that most of any team's players aren't even going to make the NHL. You'll get anywhere from 1 to 5 guys on a given roster who will, but many of those won't amount to a whole lot. A 2013 Halifax Mooseheads roster sporting the #1 & #3 overall draft picks plus the top goalie is the exception, not the rule. Plus the fact that it's split into three leagues; it's hard for me in a Q city to work up much interest in an O or W game, since those teams don't compete with the Mooseheads.

Don't get me wrong, I think TSN could do better with it than Sportsnet does, but it just won't have the national draw that the WJHC does.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 08:53 AM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa666 View Post
They run F1, Nascar. RDS also has a deal with DTM, probably could be expanded to TSN. I think they also have the Canadian Rally Championship deal. SN has the Indy deal
Plus Speedtv Canada already has alot of the other series like MotoGP, WTCC, DTM, and Australian V8s.

I know the new hockey Euro Champs League is coming up, and The Score played it in the past. If I'm TSN, I would atleast grab those tourney games.

I also agree with anyone saying that not even TSN can make basketball relevant in this country.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 09:49 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Plus Speedtv Canada already has alot of the other series like MotoGP, WTCC, DTM, and Australian V8s.

I know the new hockey Euro Champs League is coming up, and The Score played it in the past. If I'm TSN, I would atleast grab those tourney games.

I also agree with anyone saying that not even TSN can make basketball relevant in this country.
no, it is not. The same crap/joke as ET If you change name it does not mean you change competition. If KHL renamed to NHL, would become NHL? Not, of course not.

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 09:57 AM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

I think CHL could be big.

the world juniors are big, so this would allow the viewer to really follow the players trying to make team canada. that culminates with the world juniors. then by that point, people are invested in the teams, and you build towards the mem cup.

problem is, can you get the ratings for random junior games to justify the cost of production? does a person in montreal care about a game between the petes and gens?

The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 10:49 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
The trouble with trying to make a big deal out of the CHL is that most of any team's players aren't even going to make the NHL. You'll get anywhere from 1 to 5 guys on a given roster who will, but many of those won't amount to a whole lot. A 2013 Halifax Mooseheads roster sporting the #1 & #3 overall draft picks plus the top goalie is the exception, not the rule. Plus the fact that it's split into three leagues; it's hard for me in a Q city to work up much interest in an O or W game, since those teams don't compete with the Mooseheads.

Don't get me wrong, I think TSN could do better with it than Sportsnet does, but it just won't have the national draw that the WJHC does.
But most of the NCAA players don't make the NFL or NBA at all, infact they go on to regular jobs when the 4 years is overall.

Quote:

Who says TSN needs they whole country? They majority of Canadians live in Ontario or Quebec. That's all they need. Besides everything else other then the KHL is minor league sports.

Old
11-28-2013, 10:50 AM
Edgar Halliwax
aka Marvin Candle

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent2421 View Post
I think NBA could grow in Canada if TSN goes with the same hype machine that they had with CFL and world juniors. Not to mention that Canadian superstar who is coming into the league. It will take time, but before it was one game a week, if they start airing basketball as much as hockey, no doubt ratings can get better over the years. I think people underestimate how much people like TSN and shows on TSN (Sprotscentre, etc). I really think people can tune into NFL and NBA games if they market it in a good way.

Any chance they try to get more soccer? Other than MLS, but the Europe leagues? I would absolutely love if they got the rights somehow and put more soccer out. I only watch every 4 years for the world cup usually, but would watch more if games were available.
I highly doubt the the NBA will grow that much in Canada. Yes, there are basketball fans up here. But I don't think it will be any more popular than hockey in Arizona. A few die hard fans and nobody else will really care...

Edgar Halliwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 12:11 PM
Evil Doctor
Cryin' Hank crying

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorn View Post
I highly doubt the the NBA will grow that much in Canada. Yes, there are basketball fans up here. But I don't think it will be any more popular than hockey in Arizona. A few die hard fans and nobody else will really care...
The biggest problem of trying to grow basketball and soccer up here in terms of ratings is that the both leagues are primarily American. With the CFL and being an exclusive broadcaster they were able to work with the league with things like scheduling and content, and option they really don't have with the NBA or MLS. Now with the CHL they can do that. Feature teams with up and coming stars and really tie it into the World Jrs.

I was looking at this weekends ratings and I couldn't help but notice that figure skating beat out some of the NFL games. So there is another option for TSN (more Rod Black...yeaaaa......)

Evil Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 01:10 PM
MartysBetterThanYou

TSN should sign a deal with the NBA similar to the NHL deal with NBC in the US. Make TSN THE PLACE for everything NBA in Canada. With Wriggins coming into the league this is a huge marketing opportunity for the NBA in Canada. If they sign a bargain deal, this can be big money for TSN.

As far as expansion goes, Seattle is first in line for any NBA expansion/relocation, and a Seattle team would preclude Vancouver pt. 2. Montreal is more viable in the long term, though they would have to compete with Kansas City as well as the general sentiment in Montreal that they would rather have the Expos back. Montreal NBA has a distinct advantage over the Expos though: a viable arena already exists, and I'm sure Molson/Bell would not mind having more dates filled at the Centre Bell and having another sports team to market without having to put any money up for infrastructure is always a plus. Not to mention Montreal's international population would probably take to the NBA in huge numbers. The Stade Olympique would not work for the Expos and a new stadium would need to be built.

MartysBetterThanYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartysBetterThanYou View Post
TSN should sign a deal with the NBA similar to the NHL deal with NBC in the US. Make TSN THE PLACE for everything NBA in Canada. With Wriggins coming into the league this is a huge marketing opportunity for the NBA in Canada. If they sign a bargain deal, this can be big money for TSN.

As far as expansion goes, Seattle is first in line for any NBA expansion/relocation, and a Seattle team would preclude Vancouver pt. 2. Montreal is more viable in the long term, though they would have to compete with Kansas City as well as the general sentiment in Montreal that they would rather have the Expos back. Montreal NBA has a distinct advantage over the Expos though: a viable arena already exists, and I'm sure Molson/Bell would not mind having more dates filled at the Centre Bell and having another sports team to market without having to put any money up for infrastructure is always a plus. Not to mention Montreal's international population would probably take to the NBA in huge numbers. The Stade Olympique would not work for the Expos and a new stadium would need to be built.
The NBA and MLB can work in Montreal and even Vancouver if done well.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And who cares about the the prairies, the second least populated part of the country. People play basketball in Atlantic Canada and in Ontario, Quebec, BC so that's 25 of 35 million Canadians.

Old
11-28-2013, 01:59 PM
phillipsj89

MLS, its a growing league and the whitecaps regional rights is up and being bargained right now.

It is small in comparison to the other major sports, but they may get some decent ratings if they would regionalize the games.

phillipsj89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 02:01 PM
Quokka

I think it's entirely possible that TSN could grow the CHL like they did with the World Juniors. Nobody could have predicted 15+ years ago that it would be as popular with Canadians as it is now but TSN poured a lot of resources into the tournament and its popularity has exploded in Canada.

If TSN was to get the rights to the CHL, I expect it would start small and focus on a few flagship franchises that are consistently among the best (like London) or a team with a much-hyped talent (like McDavid) or simply the Memorial Cup and Super Series. I absolutely believe the Memorial Cup in particular has the potential to become very popular in Canada if TSN wanted it to be. I would love nothing more than for them to cover all CHL leagues (and particularly the WHL for me personally) but I expect that would take time. I think it's possible if the will is there but it certainly wouldn't happen overnight. Next year certainly wouldn't be a bad year to start with a talent like McDavid.

Quokka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 02:10 PM
Pilky01

I think TSN could do wonders for the CHL. If they could work their CFL/WJHC magic with the junior game, never mind helping themselves, they would be helping Canadian hockey! I really hope they make a big push for the rights.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 02:12 PM
Pilky01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quokka View Post
I think it's entirely possible that TSN could grow the CHL like they did with the World Juniors. Nobody could have predicted 15+ years ago that it would be as popular with Canadians as it is now but TSN poured a lot of resources into the tournament and its popularity has exploded in Canada.

If TSN was to get the rights to the CHL, I expect it would start small and focus on a few flagship franchises that are consistently among the best (like London) or a team with a much-hyped talent (like McDavid) or simply the Memorial Cup and Super Series. I absolutely believe the Memorial Cup in particular has the potential to become very popular in Canada if TSN wanted it to be. I would love nothing more than for them to cover all CHL leagues (and particularly the WHL for me personally) but I expect that would take time. I think it's possible if the will is there but it certainly wouldn't happen overnight. Next year certainly wouldn't be a bad year to start with a talent like McDavid.
Completely agreed.

The same reason everyone hates Sportsnet's hockey coverage is the exact reason why the Memorial Cup has never taken off under their stewardship.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Oscar Acosta

vCash: 1083
I think TSN and their marketing machine could blow the CHL up, into an NCAA football/basketball level in Canada. They should really make the move to do that.

Oscar Acosta is online now   Reply With Quote