HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

What will TSN Do/Broadcast Now That It's Lost the NHL? (RSN, NBA, US sports, etc.)

Old
11-28-2013, 03:42 PM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 500
I would love to see lacrosse get more backing and exposure. It amazes me that CFL is so much more of a success than lacrosse in Canada. I know the WLA/OLA leagues need to be re-engineered basically from the ground up in order to have any hope of escalated prosperity, but lacrosse is Canada's game and deserves a little TLC.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 03:45 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 595
What did Rogers show before they got the national NHL rights? How much of those properties will they be able to keep?

When do the Blue Jays and CHL rights come up? Premier League soccer? MLS? AHL?

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 03:52 PM
thom

In small town Canada junior Hockey rules so it cannot grow because its already huge.The Kamloops Blazers mean as much to Kamloops with a city of 100 000 people as Univ.Alabama means to people.As for saying well only 4 or 5 will make nhl well in ncaa game only at best will 6 players make nfl.In the late 1940 15 000 per game came to see Belevieu play thats an example how big junior hockey is in town.So what can tsn really do because growth is limited

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 03:57 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
What did Rogers show before they got the national NHL rights? How much of those properties will they be able to keep?

When do the Blue Jays and CHL rights come up? Premier League soccer? MLS? AHL?
Well, the Blue Jays rights will probably never become available. Rogers owns the Jays. Although it's possible they might sell off a few games due to NHL conflicts.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Cotton500

I disagree with many posters assessment of the CHL's potential.

Casual fans aren't going to watch a CHL game over an NHL game on a sportsnet channel. College football doesn't compete with the NFL for viewers because 98% of the games are on a day of the week with no NFL games. The CHL plays on the same day as the NHL.

Additionally, WJC hype doesn't really apply because viewers aren't flocking due to the junior aspect, they're flocking to the Canada aspect. Nothing a casual hockey fan loves more than putting on some Canada gear and pretending to love hockey for two weeks.

Cotton500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 05:22 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
TSN will need to re-brand itself

also--adding AHL. ECHL. and junior games

there is always sports to air

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 05:23 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

I would love to see more Basketball, CHL+AHL. Heck maybe even the occasional KHL games. If anyone can hype up random leagues and events it would be TSN.

WinterEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 05:43 PM
StittsvilleJames

I think the real question here is, which of the TSN guys jump ship first? McKenzie? Duthie? the PxP guys? Nobody? Everybody?

StittsvilleJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 05:44 PM
Quokka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton500 View Post

Casual fans aren't going to watch a CHL game over an NHL game on a sportsnet channel. College football doesn't compete with the NFL for viewers because 98% of the games are on a day of the week with no NFL games. The CHL plays on the same day as the NHL.

Additionally, WJC hype doesn't really apply because viewers aren't flocking due to the junior aspect, they're flocking to the Canada aspect. Nothing a casual hockey fan loves more than putting on some Canada gear and pretending to love hockey for two weeks.
If viewers were simply flocking because of the Canada aspect, you would expect they would similarly flock to the WHC and Spengler Cup but that isn't really the case. The WJC also takes place during the NHL season but it still has a strong audience regardless. Canadians watch the WJC for many reasons, yes they like Canadian Hockey, but Canadians like hockey period even hockey with junior players. If the production values are high and the hockey is exciting, people will watch it.

Quokka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Give me wrestling! Canada never had its own big wrestling fed. Have Bell create one and give them a two hour show every week.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 05:55 PM
Cotton500

Well the world juniors benefits from it taking place during the holidays (people off work).

I just can't see a regular season CHL game being that big of a deal across the country, no matter who broadcasts it.

Cotton500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 05:59 PM
MuzikMachine

TSN/ESPN has put some good sports documentaries together, maybe they'll invest some more into that.

MuzikMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Oscar Acosta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Give me wrestling! Canada never had its own big wrestling fed. Have Bell create one and give them a two hour show every week.
It's a sports network, not scripted reality on TLC.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Oscar Acosta

Quote:
Well the world juniors benefits from it taking place during the holidays (people off work).

I just can't see a regular season CHL game being that big of a deal across the country, no matter who broadcasts it.
You say that, yet have an avatar of a college basketball player. NCAA is on at the same time as the NBA and still manage to get fans across the border (you).

It can be done. It might take a while but the following would build.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 06:11 PM
Quokka

Quote:

I imagine if they were to pursue CHL hockey they would start with the Memorial Cup, Top Prospects game and Subway Super Series and other high profile CHL events and work their way up from there. TSN obviously wouldn't broadcast hundreds of regular season junior games immediately.

Quokka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 06:45 PM
Roundhead

Until last month there was no legal way to watch Italian soccer (except in Italian on a terrible distorted feed) and Spanish soccer as the North American rights are held by a company without a channel in Canada. Even now they are only available online at Bein Sport. Given the large Italian community here (ProLine in Ontario has Serie A betting) and the two best players on earth both playing in Spain perhaps TSN should've picked up those two leagues. Maybe they still can as Bein Sport shows no sign of ever getting a channel on Canadian TV (ie TSN TV rights, Bein Sports online rights).

As to the NBA and Andrew Wiggins a Canadian by the name of Steve Nash the NBA MVP a couple of times in the last decade. Did that even move the needle in terms of NBA viewership in Canada? F1 and tennis get more viewers in Canada than NBA despite the latter's hype from US media (not just sports media).

Roundhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Rocko604

Don't think it's been mentioned yet, but I won't be surprised to see TSN go after the UFC. Will be near impossible for Sportsnet to air any UFC on FOX/FX/Fuel cards during the NHL season.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 07:27 PM
gattaca

TSN will be like the current SN except they have the #2 ratings sport in the CFL, #4 or #5 in curling and Sportscentre. They also have solid rights with some NFL, F1, some major golf tourneys, the major tennis tourneys and figure skating.

They will need to expand their regional NHL rights. They'll need to get the CHL and take it to the next level. They have Team Canada but need to take it to the next level for women & u18 tourneys. KHL is filler daytime programming. Same with AHL as seen during the lockout.

They will have the World Cup after 2014. They'll need to keep the Euros. They'll need to get other soccer from SN when rights come up and work with BeIN for la liga & Serie A. They should try to get Team Canada away from SN. They should look at growing the MLS like the CFL.

They should try to get the curling tour away from SN. They'll need to make sure they're at least a partner for Olympics. UFC is an option.

Unless they can get playoffs, baseball is a filler. NBA is a filler except when Raptors make the playoffs. Wiggins being a superstar can help but top Cdns haven't moved the needle for baseball ratings. NCAA basketball gets a lot of ink spilled but ratings make it filler programming. Same goes with NCAA football ex the 1 big match/yr.

gattaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 08:06 PM
cutchemist42

Is SN even going to have room for all these games? I'm sure with deal, alot of programming might be disposable now. I bet CIS gets pushed to the side and Vanier Cup ratings were down almost 600,000 from TSN going to TSN. With TSN having the curling/tennis majors, they should attempt to just get the whole tours.

I'd be skeptical of TSN working the CFL/WJC magic on the NBA or MLS. I could be proven wrong, but just my feeling. Canada is better at baseball then basketball, but baseball ratings are just average in Canada, so that doesnt do much for future outlook on the NBA.

At this point, is TSN2 needed as well?

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 09:03 PM
Brodie
see you space cowboy

TSN should push CIS and NCAA football, I'd bet they could turn it into a draw if they tie it to the CFL right.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 11:28 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:

Well, it is called the CHL for a reason.

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 02:44 AM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Who says TSN needs they whole country? They majority of Canadians live in Ontario or Quebec. That's all they need. Besides everything else other then the KHL is minor league sports.
Focusing just on Ontario and Quebec won't work. Quebec is mostly French, so you'll split the ratings between TSN and RDS. For English ratings you need to get viewers in BC and Alberta.

Also, for those mentioning lacrosse - it's a terrible TV sport; hard to see the ball. At least with hockey it's easy to see the puck on white ice and, in tennis, the TV's are positioned to make it easy to follow the ball. Baseball has a small ball too, but the positions of players are very structured, so it's easy to follow the progress of the game.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 02:12 PM
cutchemist42

For anyone who listened to the PTS round table yesterday, it was brought up up also that TSN's big push is now MLB in Montreal. Something I didn't know either but Blair and McCown did, was that Rogers had already looked into spearheading MLB in Montreal over the past few years.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 02:16 PM
Darlotto99

I could see WWE programing returning to TSN. that's a lot of programing they could use to fill missing NHL. when it's NFL season then WWE RAW on Mondays could move to TSN2. UFC will also end up on TSN .they lost Wednesday Night Hokey well WWE has a show on Wednesday night so that could use that to fill the a small gap. TSN will prob air NBA on TNT every week. more ESPN programing will end up being shown on TSN as well as developing their own reality/sports shows. TSN would also be wise to also follow in Sportsnet footsteps and start adding more TSN's maybe a TSN3 or TSNews because I'm sure that was one of the factors that helped Sportsnet land the NHL. rebrand ESPN Classic and the NHL network as TSN3 and TSNews

Last edited by Darlotto99: 11-30-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Darlotto99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 03:21 PM
DoyleG
Mr. Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlotto99 View Post
I could see WWE programing returning to TSN. that's a lot of programing they could use to fill missing NHL. when it's NFL season then WWE RAW on Mondays could move to TSN2. UFC will also end up on TSN .they lost Wednesday Night Hokey well WWE has a show on Wednesday night so that could use that to fill the a small gap. TSN will prob air NBA on TNT every week. more ESPN programing will end up being shown on TSN as well as developing their own reality/sports shows. TSN would also be wise to also follow in Sportsnet footsteps and start adding more TSN's maybe a TSN3 or TSNews because I'm sure that was one of the factors that helped Sportsnet land the NHL. rebrand ESPN Classic and the NHL network as TSN3 and TSNews
Rogers owns UFC and WWE so no need to even make the suggestion.

I'll ignore the rest.

DoyleG is offline   Reply With Quote