HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers flying in prospects on Wednesday...

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2005, 02:46 PM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
Rangers flying in prospects on Wednesday...

The Rangers are flying in some prospects on Wednesday to their training facility, I'm assuming for some last minute interviews/work-outs. The players have been told to bring their equipment.

What I know so far is Joe Barnes and Steve Downie are two that are definitely being brought in. I recently said in another post that this was a 3-day thing but it's actually only Wednesday.

I remember watching on TV after the draft last year how the Rangers had their own private workouts where they put prospects up against each other..I remember them showing Korpikoski being a monster in the physical tests and doing much, much better than a guy like Kris Chucko. I'm assuming this is what they're going to be doing again.

Hopefully I'll get more information probably Thursday as to what exactly went on and the names of some of the other guys who were there. Just thought I'd pass along what I know.

Old
07-26-2005, 02:56 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru
The Rangers are flying in some prospects on Wednesday to their training facility, I'm assuming for some last minute interviews/work-outs. The players have been told to bring their equipment.

What I know so far is Joe Barnes and Steve Downie are two that are definitely being brought in. I recently said in another post that this was a 3-day thing but it's actually only Wednesday.

I remember watching on TV after the draft last year how the Rangers had their own private workouts where they put prospects up against each other..I remember them showing Korpikoski being a monster in the physical tests and doing much, much better than a guy like Kris Chucko. I'm assuming this is what they're going to be doing again.

Hopefully I'll get more information probably Thursday as to what exactly went on and the names of some of the other guys who were there. Just thought I'd pass along what I know.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I really want Downie as a Ranger in the second round. He's like a more talented Hollweg, I love the way he plays. If they really like Barnes and Downie enough to take them in the second, would they be looking D in the first?

16: Brian Lee/.Ryan Parent(although Parent doesn't fit in our org. IMO-to many limited offensive players like Baranka, Liffiton, Taylor, Lampman, Potter)
40: Risto Korhonen
41: Steve Downie
45: Joe Barnes

I guess I'd like that, lol if you find out pick 16 and pick 40 please do tell. BTW am I wrong in assuming you're friends with Barnes?

Old
07-26-2005, 03:07 PM
Draft Guru

Whether they will draft Barnes or Downie remains to be seen. A lot of it will depend on what picks they actually end up with, and whether or not these guys are still on the board. By paying to fly them in and hold this workout, they are obviously interested in these players, but they may see something that turns them away from one of these guys, you know?

What I think this is all about is this: The Rangers have a group of prospects that they have rated pretty equally that all should be available when they pick. By bringing them all together, and interviewing them again and putting them up against each other, it helps them make a final decision on how to rank them. In general, It's a lot easier to compare two things when it's right in front of your face..so by bringing these guys all in, it helps in putting the finishing touches on their draft board and who to rank ahead of whom.

And to answer your last question, no, I'm not friends with Barnes.

Old
07-26-2005, 03:58 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:

Hey Guru, you have any info if McArdle is going to be there also? JD said he is one player the team is looking at with the 16th pick.

Old
07-26-2005, 04:01 PM
Jackson Ranger

Never seen Downie play, but from what I've read, I would love to draft him.

Old
07-26-2005, 04:38 PM
Draft Guru

Haven't heard about McArdle..

The person I spoke to only had confirmation of Barnes and Downie so far. After it's over, I'm sure they'll know who exactly was there.

Old
07-26-2005, 05:22 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Is Joe Barnes REALLY worth a high 2nd pick? I see him lasting till the 3rd and possibly even lower...

Old
07-26-2005, 06:14 PM
Draft Guru

I really do think so. I think Barnes has better potential than Setoguchi, who will probably go late 1st.

Barnes won't get past Minnesota at 56.

Old
07-26-2005, 08:27 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
I haven't seen anything with Barnes in the top 60, however. That does tell me something.

Old
07-26-2005, 09:18 PM
DarthSather99

McKeen's projects McArdle going to the Rangers at #16

Old
07-26-2005, 09:23 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Downie would be a great player to draft, right now hes a Barnaby like player, pisses the hell outta the other team and can still produce.

I cant really find that much info about Barnes...id be suprised if he gets picked in the 2nd round by any team.

Old
07-26-2005, 09:38 PM
Onion Boy

Downie would be a perfect selection for this club. I have him in the top half of the 2nd round. Seems like a great fit for the type of team Renney is trying to build.

Old
07-26-2005, 10:52 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
I guess I'd like that, lol if you find out pick 16 and pick 40 please do tell. BTW am I wrong in assuming you're friends with Barnes?
Interestingly enough I practiced with Joe Barnes back in our summer AAA days for the Winnipeg Jr. Jets. He was a year behind me however.

He was always pretty good, although he kind of seemed like a suck (you always knew if he was hurt).

It's been rather odd these last few years watching a lot of guys being picked that I played against (and stopped ). Best of luck to them all, especially that little guy we took in 2003.

Old
07-26-2005, 10:55 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99
McKeen's projects McArdle going to the Rangers at #16
He's the guy I really, really want in this draft. You can't match the work ethic, the attitude and the intensity. To top it off he's got some skill. He's a guy that's moved up in reputation all year and it's because he never stops working.

If we got him at 16 I'd be over-joyed and finally happy with a first round of the New York Rangers.

Old
07-26-2005, 11:38 PM
Draft Guru

If you wanna make some quick cash, I'd bet somebody that Joe Barnes will be taken in the 2nd round. Not necessarily by the Rangers, but A LOT of teams are interested in him. I know of a few teams that have him rated higher than Setoguchi, and Setoguchi is a consesus first round pick. So if he's there in the 2nd when those teams come to pick, they'll take him.

Everybody has their own opinions obviously. If it takes having to see him on some poster's top 60 list for you to think he's a good player, than I'm glad none of you guys are NHL Scouts. Teams go "off the board" early all the time, it's not that uncommon. Did anybody see Adrian Foster go in the first round in 2001 after only playing 7 games of junior hockey? Or how about Jesse Niinimaki 15th to the Oilers in '02? Or Blake Wheeler 5th overall last year? All it takes is one team, and sometimes one scout, to like a player.

Old
07-27-2005, 05:49 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
If you wanna make some quick cash, I'd bet somebody that Joe Barnes will be taken in the 2nd round. Not necessarily by the Rangers, but A LOT of teams are interested in him. I know of a few teams that have him rated higher than Setoguchi, and Setoguchi is a consesus first round pick. So if he's there in the 2nd when those teams come to pick, they'll take him.

Everybody has their own opinions obviously. If it takes having to see him on some poster's top 60 list for you to think he's a good player, than I'm glad none of you guys are NHL Scouts. Teams go "off the board" early all the time, it's not that uncommon. Did anybody see Adrian Foster go in the first round in 2001 after only playing 7 games of junior hockey? Or how about Jesse Niinimaki 15th to the Oilers in '02? Or Blake Wheeler 5th overall last year? All it takes is one team, and sometimes one scout, to like a player.
Its all good, have your opinions DG. As far as I can tell, your guess is as good or better than anyone who calls you names for ranking Barnes ahead of Setoguchi.

What I gather year after year is that people tend to get REAL opinionated on stuff they aren't fit to comment on. I take it as this: At the beginning of the year, posters get an outlook on the next draft through various publications such as CSB, Redline, and McKeens. Because these people most likely don't see any or all of the players during the year they have those rankings CEMENTED in their heads. Thus when draft time rolls around Joe-Schmo can't fathom how some teams are reported to have Guillame Latendresse out of the first round. Just because they had seen him high in earlier rankings, he makes "their" first round however they push him down just a little to compensate just in case these teams are OMG...right. I'm willing to bet that Barnes is high on some lists ike you said. I'm also willing to bet that teams rankings don't coincide with whats commonplace on these boards.

Bobby Ryan *may* be 35 on some team's list.

Old
07-27-2005, 06:55 AM
ChrisKreider20
But y u mad?

I'd like them to do something like this.

16. RYAN O'MARRA/MATT LASHOFF
40. SASHA POKULOK
41. KIRIIL STARKOV
45. ANTON SKORYKH

Old
07-27-2005, 07:01 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid
I'd like them to do something like this.

16. RYAN O'MARRA/MATT LASHOFF
40. SASHA POKULOK
41. KIRIIL STARKOV
45. ANTON SKORYKH
Starkov is really interesting. He's from Denmark I believe but hasn't received the hype of a Madsen and has really lingered unspoken about this year. He's said to be a shifty offensive playmaker and judging by his stats he produced pretty well in Swe Jr. with 30 18 12 30.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Starkov.jpg‎ (27.6 KB, 20 views)

Old
07-27-2005, 07:54 AM
Levitate

what kind of upside would a guy like mcardle have? 2nd liner?

Old
07-28-2005, 11:52 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
any word on the other prospects there?

Old
07-29-2005, 12:34 AM
Draft Guru

It was only Downie and Barnes. Barnes was told if he's there they'll pick him.

Old
07-29-2005, 01:02 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
It was only Downie and Barnes. Barnes was told if he's there they'll pick him.

I can see us taking Barnes. He has size, skill and is physical. Oh and he played on the same team as Bahensky. Does anyone know if they played on the same line at all during the season and post-season??

Old
07-29-2005, 01:30 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
what kind of upside would a guy like mcardle have? 2nd liner?

Hard to say...some, like TSN say 2nd liner...but some say a 3rd liner, like rdr ...hes kind of like a Nigel Dawes...plays great in Juniors but will his game translate to the NHL?

Closed Thread