HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ducks shopping the 2nd overall pick

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2005, 06:24 PM
habsfan4life

vCash: 500
Anyone who would consider giving up Zednik for that pick is on glue, in my opinion. That pick isn't that valuable. Montreal needs to concentrate on winning the Cup right now, not give away their chances in a gamble on a player that might become a solid NHLer.

Montreal already has the advantage of being the dream team to play for in the mind of every French-Canadian player, plus the city can lure in many other free agents in the future, so why put so much emphasis on the draft?

We already have 5th, and sure I wouldn't mind moving up to 2nd... but not for Zednik. Not for Koivu. Not for Ribeiro even, though that is the most tempting of all three.

And honestly, I don't think you're going to get the 2nd overall pick with the 5th and any of Plecanec, Hainsey, Hossa, Ward, etc, etc,. Not from Brian Burke.

Just my two cents.

Old
07-26-2005, 06:38 PM
fred2792

I have no problem to offer Zednik because Perezhogin is ready for NHL action right now. Plus, Higgins is ready to battle for a second line spote. So, Zednik and Hossa are not so valuable for the habs. A second over all pick mean a #1 defenseman in th system for the habs. I don't want to trade the fifth over all pick because is so important for the habs. It give us a big first line center (Kopitar) or a powerfoward (Ryan) that we hope since so long (one of Brule or Pouliot should be pick at #3 or #4). All depend of what kind of player Burke expect.

Old
07-26-2005, 06:53 PM
Empireshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19
The Ducks won't do a deal unless they are getting a first round pick. I fully belive that Philadelphia will come up with a great offer to select Bobby Ryan at the #2 spot.

Exactly! Clarke (as well a teams like Colorado and Detroit) has the depth of established assests needed to vie for the second pick. Sure montreal could deal zednik, koivu, or ribeiro but then what? Who's going to be on the first and second line this year? A bunch of kids who've proved nothing yet in the NHL. Sure the potential is there for them to become good or even great but they aren't going to develop properly without veteran leadership. Before anyone says that we could get UFA to fill those holes, why don't we just keep the 5th pick and all of our assets and address the need for defense through FA. To me it's a no brainer, alot of good defenseman have been drafted in the later rounds in past drafts and theres no reason to believe that we won't be able to get one in this draft or subsequent following drafts. This talk about selling the farm for a player that might turn out a few years from now is just ridiculous. Plus, its a team sport, there's no way that Johnson is worth all the assets that some of you are willing to give away.

Old
07-26-2005, 06:59 PM
Dr. Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea
Im all for getting the #2 overall pick.

I would offer Zednik + Ribeiro + Hainsey.

Habs get Jonhson and Ryan

yeaaahhhhhh!!!!
RIGHT
good boy!
let's trade half of our prospects at D (we got two right now)
Our 2nd center and a first line winger
to start all over with a new boy

The pleasure of having a perpetual youth movement.
Buddy, acting like that would be like the Oilers used to do
because they had no money, otherwise, nobody is interested
in trading 3 players for a prospect, even if that prospect is Jack Johnson

Old
07-26-2005, 07:01 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19
The Ducks won't do a deal unless they are getting a first round pick.
Burke says otherwise.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=131498

''and if we can trade the (No. 2) pick outright for an established player who is a good fit for us, we will do it. And if we get offers to move down a few spots and we can get another (draft) pick, we can do that too. It's really wide open. We want to see what's out there."

Old
07-26-2005, 07:03 PM
Face

What this says to me is that in Burke's eyes the quality of players availible at 2-6 are basically equal if he is willing to move down. Really what he is offering is just a choice of them (obviously).

Maybe the Habs scouts think that Johnson or Ryan (or whoever) is clearly the second best player in the draft and if they do then a deal would be a good idea from our perspective. Ive got a feeling that Burke will want a player who can play now like Ryder, Ribs, Pleks ect and our pick - I personally think the price would be too high.

To be honest if we dont see any major difference between the 2-6 spot (like I figure Burke doesnt) then the only way I would make a deal is if we could get the pick fairly cheaply (Our 5th and a 3rd or a so-so prospect).

Old
07-26-2005, 07:04 PM
eddy

I'd definetly go for it, unless we have to give up an outrageous amount to move a few spots I'd do it. I want Jonhson!

Old
07-26-2005, 07:06 PM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclusky
Zednik and Hainsey for the 2nd, trade the 5th to Vancouver for the 10th plus something else, and then come out of the draft with Johnson and or Staal/Bourdon.
Zednik clutch my balls, Dagenais could've put away Kovalev's rebounds in Game 7 against the Bruins, he's a good player but easily replaced.
that's a GREAT idea

but I don'T think we could have the 2nd just for Zednik and Hainsey... we would at least have to had a 2nd round pick + probably Plekanek

Old
07-26-2005, 07:12 PM
Natural Habs Fan

Don't trade Hainsey! I think he will thrive in the "new NHL"

Old
07-26-2005, 07:20 PM
RE-HABS

Hi I'm Bob Gainey, this is what I'm gonna do...(for the easily confused or any Maple Leaf fan I'm not really Bob Gainey).

1. Call Burke and offer him one of two options:
Zednik, Hossa and Halak
*Ducks need winger depth and goaltender depth, this package would address immediate and future needs.
or
Koivu and Hossa

2. Call Patrick offer both 1st rounders and a package of players/prospects for the 1st overall...wait for Patrick's polite refusal, move on.

3. Draft Johnson with the 2nd overall pick.

4. If Ryan is still available 5th overall, call Clarke. If Clarke is willing to trade Carter for this pick straight up I make the deal. If not I use the pick to draft Kopitar, willing to wait and take a risk after taking the safe bet last draft with Chipchura and picking Johnson 2nd overall.

5. After the draft I call Forsberg's and Naslunds agent and let him know that I'm serious in wanting to bring them both to Montreal. Sign both after #6 is completed.

6. Buyout Rivet (make cap room for #5) and trade Riberio (with Forsberg and Koivu as the top 2 centres, there is no need for Ribs especially if Carter can be brought aboard) for a Dman to replace Rivet and Brisebois.

7. Go to training camp with Koivu, Ryder, Naslund and Forsberg as a part of my 2 top lines and know that my youth depth has just went overboard with the addition of Johnson and Kopitar or potentially having Carter in the line up if Clarke is willing to trade.

And those are my steps after talking to Burke....a guy can dream can't he!

Old
07-26-2005, 07:24 PM
AH

Does he want a forward or a defenseman?

How about Ribeiro for the 2nd overall?

Old
07-26-2005, 07:27 PM
ControlFreak

Send a message via MSN to ControlFreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Hi I'm Bob Gainey, this is what I'm gonna do...(for the easily confused or any Maple Leaf fan I'm not really Bob Gainey).

Zednik, Hossa and Halak
*Ducks need winger depth and goaltender depth, this package would address immediate and future needs.
or
Koivu and Hossa

2. Call Patrick offer both 1st rounders and a package of players/prospects for the 1st overall...wait for Patrick's polite refusal, move on.

4. If Ryan is still available 5th overall, call Clarke. If Clarke is willing to trade Carter for this pick straight up I make the deal. If not I use the pick to draft Kopitar, willing to wait and take a risk after taking the safe bet last draft with Chipchura and picking Johnson 2nd overall.

5. After the draft I call Forsberg's and Naslunds agent and let him know that I'm serious in wanting to bring them both to Montreal. Sign both after #6 is completed.

6. Buyout Rivet (make cap room for #5) and trade Riberio (with Forsberg and Koivu as the top 2 centres, there is no need for Ribs especially if Carter can be brought aboard) for a Dman to replace Rivet and Brisebois.

7. Go to training camp with Koivu, Ryder, Naslund and Forsberg as a part of my 2 top lines and know that my youth depth has just went overboard with the addition of Johnson and Kopitar or potentially having Carter in the line up if Clarke is willing to trade.

Pretty sticky dream I would say, put pleasant nonetheless.

Old
07-26-2005, 07:30 PM
BiggMac99

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS

Zednik, Hossa and Halak
or
Koivu and Hossa

Just 3 words. OMG!

Old
07-26-2005, 07:35 PM
habs_24x

you guys should see some of the proposals from others in the trade proposals forum!
some people are offering everything including their left nut for that second pick...

i dont think its a good idea to trade Zed period. hes a great hockey player at a great price.

Its simply not worth it imo.

Old
07-26-2005, 07:36 PM
goalchenyuk

i don't follow Burke here ; There are tons of free agents to sign ; why give a second overall draft choice to get players ???

that's ridiculous , no ?

anyway , i wouldn't care to give Zednik with who else for that choice , just because we just have than , to sign Murray or Palfy or Demitra...

it just would be like giving nothing at all , because you sign equal talents...

Old
07-26-2005, 07:38 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan
Johnson eats guys like Hainsey for breakfast...

Old
07-26-2005, 07:51 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan
All this talk of the "new NHL" makes me laugh. So what exactly in the "new NHL" is going to help Hainsey? The "new NHL" after a won't be too different from what it was, except the positioning of the players will be a bit different and you'll see more checkers than before (ie: more Dackells... woohoo).

Old
07-26-2005, 07:53 PM
habsfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
i don't follow Burke here ; There are tons of free agents to sign ; why give a second overall draft choice to get players ???

that's ridiculous , no ?
The most valuable players have just become the ones that have very manageable salaries. Sure you can sign a big name free agent for upwards of 8% of your teams total payroll (to a max of 20%) but, why not aquire a top line player under contract with a manageble salary instead?

Seems logical to me.

Old
07-26-2005, 08:06 PM
Habs13

Trade Zednik? Ribeiro?? What the hell is this all about? TRADE KOIVU?? This thread has gone beyond stupid now.

I think I take back my original idea and just draft Ryan at 5th...

Old
07-26-2005, 08:06 PM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Personnally, I'd trade Ribeiro and a 2nd round draft pick for Johnson.

With all the depth we have at center position (especially since Perezhogin is NHL ready IMO), we can afford to give Ribs away.

Damn, we need that JJ at the blue line... Just imagine for a second: Markov, Souray, Komi and Johnson... WOW!!

Old
07-26-2005, 08:13 PM
Empireshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13
Trade Zednik? Ribeiro?? What the hell is this all about? TRADE KOIVU?? This thread has gone beyond stupid now.

I think Rejean Houle has made 99% of the comments on this thread he just keeps changing his name to make it look like he's not the only one willing to give everything away for a pipe dream that might pan out. Nice seeing you again Reggie apparently you haven't gotten any smarter.

Old
07-26-2005, 08:14 PM
habs_24x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13

you think?

Old
07-26-2005, 08:27 PM
the jpageman

think about this one.

3 way deal including Phily, Anaheim. Montreal

Anaheim gets Zednick, Hossa and or Hainsey , 2nd round choice from Mtl

Phily gets Montreal first 5th overall pick

Monteral gets Simon Gagné and the second overall pick!!

everybody would gain from this deal.
Phily would get 2 first round picks and unload a contract ( witch they need now)
Anaheim gets a very good winger along with potentialy great prospect
Montreal gets it all...

Old
07-26-2005, 08:42 PM
Catala

Send a message via MSN to Catala
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_nut
some of you are considering moving koivu? what's wrong with you people... we have nothing to replace him with... doesn't make sense, at all

and for us to get the 2nd, it would be for the 5th and a top prospect
Thanks, well said.

Old
07-26-2005, 08:49 PM
habsfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcE ColD
Damn, we need that JJ at the blue line... Just imagine for a second: Markov, Souray, Komi and Johnson... WOW!!
wow is right... I can just imagine the brain farts we'd be forced to watch on a daily basis for the next loooong while.

Closed Thread