HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's talk about Daniel Briere #48

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-28-2014, 02:55 PM
  #151
ProspectsFanatic
Artturi Lehkonen
 
ProspectsFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 924
vCash: 500
Danny B was so far away from what the team need, this signature will never make sense in any ways or forms. It was such a bad decision that this lack of judment and vision can't be a isolated error. From that stand point, I don't believe he is the right men for the job. But, like with all of the GMs before him, we will wait until the cumulative of all the little mistakes he made will clearly show how bad he really is to fire him.

ProspectsFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 03:07 PM
  #152
MD thaivuN
Anime Music Hipster
 
MD thaivuN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,793
vCash: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post
His usage last night was perfect. Easy and minimal even strength minutes and some PP minutes. No way should he be playing more than 13 minutes a game. He can't anymore.

But when he's playing against opposing 4th lines and on the PP, he can be effective and score clutch goals without the burden of being a liability at even strength.
This. I really don't understand why people wants Briere to play more than that. The guy is a specialist and should remain as such.

MD thaivuN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 06:00 PM
  #153
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post
His usage last night was perfect. Easy and minimal even strength minutes and some PP minutes. No way should he be playing more than 13 minutes a game. He can't anymore.

But when he's playing against opposing 4th lines and on the PP, he can be effective and score clutch goals without the burden of being a liability at even strength.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaivuN View Post
This. I really don't understand why people wants Briere to play more than that. The guy is a specialist and should remain as such.
Agree with your view of Briere now, but disagree that he has been used the right way.

MT either puts him on the top 2 lines, with Plek and Gionta, something he can't handle, specially playing vs other team top lines, or either on the 4th line with guys like Prust,Moen and Parros, guys that can't play with Briere.

I have no idea why he hasn't tried him on the 3rd with Eller and Bourque, this is the perfect fit for him, guys that can somewhat play, but doesn't have to go up vs other teams top lines.

Like I said, I don't even like the guy, and hated the signing, but with his NMC he is here to stay, why not put him in a position to succeed.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 06:08 PM
  #154
76ftw
24
 
76ftw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,569
vCash: 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
Brière 11 goals 12:54
Gionta 12 goals 18:07


Gionta is a lot better in his own zone lol. He also plays with Plekanec and is a harder worker.

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 06:11 PM
  #155
MD thaivuN
Anime Music Hipster
 
MD thaivuN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,793
vCash: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Agree with your view of Briere now, but disagree that he has been used the right way.

MT either puts him on the top 2 lines, with Plek and Gionta, something he can't handle, specially playing vs other team top lines, or either on the 4th line with guys like Prust,Moen and Parros, guys that can't play with Briere.

I have no idea why he hasn't tried him on the 3rd with Eller and Bourque, this is the perfect fit for him, guys that can somewhat play, but doesn't have to go up vs other teams top lines.

Like I said, I don't even like the guy, and hated the signing, but with his NMC he is here to stay, why not put him in a position to succeed.
Been tried before and it was a bad line lol

MD thaivuN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 06:21 PM
  #156
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaivuN View Post
Been tried before and it was a bad line lol
I dont recall that, atleast don't recall them being atleast given a few games to gel.

I remember Briere has tried at Centre on the 3rd line with Bourque and either Moen or Prust, but Eller played LW with Plek and Gio.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 06:27 PM
  #157
Smokey Thompson
Registered User
 
Smokey Thompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: 514
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
I dont recall that, atleast don't recall them being atleast given a few games to gel.

I remember Briere has tried at Centre on the 3rd line with Bourque and either Moen or Prust, but Eller played LW with Plek and Gio.
The Bourque-Eller line is a 3rd checking line and Briere doesn't really fit that role.

Smokey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 06:29 PM
  #158
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post
The Bourque-Eller line is a 3rd checking line and Briere doesn't really fit that role.
Its not a "checking line", the Plekanec Gionta line is the one used vs other teams top lines game in game out.

They are very few "checking lines" in todays NHL, almost every team uses one of their top 2 lines in that "checking role".

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 10:30 AM
  #159
That Habs Fan
Weber + Price = ✓
 
That Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,133
vCash: 500
Briere looked surprisingly good in person on Saturday. If it wasn't for the poor fit we would be very happy with him, he's quietly hit 12 goals, with better usage I could see 20. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does in the playoffs.

Next year, with Gionta gone and Galchenyuk more mature & heavier, I don't think we'll be hating the fact that Briere is on the team quite as much.

That Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 10:36 AM
  #160
StellerEller
Neednewname:(
 
StellerEller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,433
vCash: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Habs Fan View Post
Briere looked surprisingly good in person on Saturday. If it wasn't for the poor fit we would be very happy with him, he's quietly hit 12 goals, with better usage I could see 20. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does in the playoffs.

Next year, with Gionta gone and Galchenyuk more mature & heavier, I don't think we'll be hating the fact that Briere is on the team quite as much.
Briere is like the icing on the cake. We have tonnes of depth, and his role is clear.

Either:
-Shore up scoring if we get injured
or
-Become an extra threat on top of our big guys, and give us options for spreading out the scoring.

Briere (as some Philly fans told us) has got better as the season's gone on. I really like him on Plekanec's wing because Plek has issues with chemistry and it's nice to see him finally play with skilled wingers. Briere is going to be great in the playoffs, for once I'll be happy to see him be a sneaky little rat around the net. Briere is pretty much the definition of "cagey veteran".

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 11:17 AM
  #161
overlords
youmyboyblou!
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Planet Squanch
Posts: 26,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Habs Fan View Post
Briere looked surprisingly good in person on Saturday. If it wasn't for the poor fit we would be very happy with him, he's quietly hit 12 goals, with better usage I could see 20. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does in the playoffs.

Next year, with Gionta gone and Galchenyuk more mature & heavier, I don't think we'll be hating the fact that Briere is on the team quite as much.
Briere will get eaten alive if he gets slotted into Gionta's spot. Dude definitely came to play this year, but he's still an absolute nightmare in his own zone and doesn't push the puck in the right direction when he's not supported by really good two-way players. I'm hoping he has a great playoffs to raise his value so that we can possibly move him.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 11:40 AM
  #162
sventington
Registered User
 
sventington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,002
vCash: 500
Briere has been coming on lately. I no longer want him scratched every game.

sventington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 01:10 PM
  #163
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,671
vCash: 500
With less boneheaded usage, Briere would actually have closer to 20 goals right now. Guy is up there for point production per 60 minutes of ice-time. Therrien ******* him around with 18 different line combinations probably didn't help him develop any kind of chemistry.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 01:26 PM
  #164
Dagistitsyn
Registered User
 
Dagistitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
With less boneheaded usage, Briere would actually have closer to 20 goals right now. Guy is up there for point production per 60 minutes of ice-time. Therrien ******* him around with 18 different line combinations probably didn't help him develop any kind of chemistry.
It's absolutely mind boggling how he has been treated. He's still got it offensively. He generates a ton of chances and plays that Gionta just simply isn't capable of, and for a team that needed scoring so bad.. I think it makes up for his less than stellar defensive play

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 01:48 PM
  #165
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Newmarket, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,675
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
I have said this on another thread...possibly one about how Brière is sucking or something.

The guy is a streaky guy AND he heats up a lot in the 2nd half of the season for whatever reason.

Keep that in mind for the playoffs...

dmanfish90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 12:13 AM
  #166
JLP
Refugee
 
JLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,893
vCash: 500
Gally's got a burger; now Dany's got a burger. And Gally likes it.


JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 01:12 AM
  #167
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,752
vCash: 500
Briere is starting to try things that we haven't seen all year. The way he is cutting into the slot, driving the net, and doing his quick cuts, he looks inspired again, and it bodes well for him to maintain his playoff reputation to a certain degree

It could be a blessing in disguise that briere was not exerted as much earlier in the year, at his age. With the way his role has slowly increased on this club as the playoffs get closer, I have to wonder if this was the plan all along.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 02:46 AM
  #168
dackelljuneaubulis02
Registered User
 
dackelljuneaubulis02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Briere is starting to try things that we haven't seen all year. The way he is cutting into the slot, driving the net, and doing his quick cuts, he looks inspired again, and it bodes well for him to maintain his playoff reputation to a certain degree

It could be a blessing in disguise that briere was not exerted as much earlier in the year, at his age. With the way his role has slowly increased on this club as the playoffs get closer, I have to wonder if this was the plan all along.
I really like the way he responded to his benchings. Honestly, I liked him right from the get go. Just so skilled and smart with the puck.

If we have to get rid of someone to keep Vanek, I kind of hope it's not Briere. With limited usage he's a real nice luxury to have on the bottom 6.

Maybe his conditioning wasn't quite where it should've been at the beginning. Considering his usage I'm quite happy with his production. I don't know if we'll get vintage PPG playoff Briere but even if we get a bit more than what he's shown so far, it'll be great.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 04:17 AM
  #169
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10,817
vCash: 500
Therrien really ticked him around. Surprised briere didn't ask for a trade. Briere should play more.

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 02:53 PM
  #170
SB164
Registered User
 
SB164's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,530
vCash: 500
His highlight reel from the 2010 playoffs is ridiculous. Just absolutely dominant out there:


SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 02:55 PM
  #171
That Habs Fan
Weber + Price = ✓
 
That Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,133
vCash: 500
if Briere pulls his usual antics in this year's playoffs he will become a hero in this city (Montreal, even though I'm typing this from my home of Toronto, lol) pretty quick

That Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 03:08 PM
  #172
SB164
Registered User
 
SB164's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,530
vCash: 500
He's in some elite company that's for sure:


SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 03:11 PM
  #173
Eagle Eye Cherry
guitar player
 
Eagle Eye Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,358
vCash: 500
Briere is a bum. He should be playing with teams like Florida or Phoenix or Nashville. Not Montreal. Big mistake in signing him and wasting money.

Eagle Eye Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 03:14 PM
  #174
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: hong kong
Posts: 31,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Briere is starting to try things that we haven't seen all year. The way he is cutting into the slot, driving the net, and doing his quick cuts, he looks inspired again, and it bodes well for him to maintain his playoff reputation to a certain degree

It could be a blessing in disguise that briere was not exerted as much earlier in the year, at his age. With the way his role has slowly increased on this club as the playoffs get closer, I have to wonder if this was the plan all along.
He's playing center vs 3rd liners. Also, he always stepped up his game when games mattered more.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2014, 07:21 PM
  #175
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup
 
Rapala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
He's in some elite company that's for sure:

-9 stat kinda scary...
need + or even at worst all lines to go far in PO.
Those old Oiler stats are sick...

Rapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.